Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Albion Online an updated version of Ultima Online?

SirCedricSirCedric Member CommonPosts: 46
I played UO back in the day, and came back to it just a couple months ago. Still love all the options you can do in that game, from mining to hunting dragons. Now I see a game called Albion Online, and it has the same over head view like UO, and has a huge sandbox too. To me it looks like an updated version of UO. So really is that what this new game is? That's not a bad thing BTW.

Comments

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    even if people post its good here for you, I just can't get over that torchlight plastic film gfx look.. why oh why use that cartoonish look :(
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    From what I've read, it's more like Runescape than anything else. I'll let others decide if that is similar to UO or not.
  • SirCedricSirCedric Member CommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by azarhal
    From what I've read, it's more like Runescape than anything else. I'll let others decide if that is similar to UO or not.

I always figured runescape was a knockoff of Ultima Online too.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Nope.... not an updated version at all sadly. It has very few things in common. For instance, the world is separated by zones. PvP is simply not allowed in some areas (where as in UO you could kill, or try to kill anyone anywhere). The skill system is vastly different. 

The Devs started off with the idea to do a modern UO, but quickly changed a lot of ideas. Some based upon the forum users which is always an absolutely horrid idea. I've rarely seen a community every agree on anything. A camel is a horse designed by a committee. As such, the game is now kind of a mish mash of ideas.

With all the changes, I am still very interested in the game. After their changes the game certainly wont be quenching my UO thirst, but itll be something I will probably enjoy for 2-3 months. Had they stuck to their original vision... probably much much longer.

So yeah:

-New skill tree system (instead of being limited you can be a master of everything. Which basically removes any change of a proper "character" to build).

-Safe zones (no attacking at all, not even if a guard will kill you)

-Zoning EVERYWHERE

-Dungeons are very different

-Looting isn't the same. You can lose stuff, but it all depends on the zone you are in.

-Crafting is different, but not totally

-Limited use of abilities (remember going wild with icons everywhere in UO? lol)

-Lots more different I can't recall.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by madazz

Nope.... not an updated version at all sadly. It has very few things in common. For instance, the world is separated by zones. PvP is simply not allowed in some areas (where as in UO you could kill, or try to kill anyone anywhere). The skill system is vastly different. 

The Devs started off with the idea to do a modern UO, but quickly changed a lot of ideas. Some based upon the forum users which is always an absolutely horrid idea. I've rarely seen a community every agree on anything. A camel is a horse designed by a committee. As such, the game is now kind of a mish mash of ideas.

With all the changes, I am still very interested in the game. After there changes the game certainly wont be quenching my UO thirst, but itll be something I will probably enjoy for 2-3 months. Had they stuck to their original vision... probably much much longer.

So yeah:

-New skill tree system

-Zoning EVERYWHERE

-Looting isn't the same. You can lose stuff, but it all depends on the zone you are in.

-Limited use of abilities (remember going wild with icons everywhere in UO? lol)

The devs are constantly changing things of how the game works fundementaly for testing purposes and getting players feedback on things there constantly on the forums replying to people thought and feedback and suggestions.

Its hard to tell what the game gonna turn out to be due to this atm, i never played UO but it is alot like Runescape with a bit more emphasis on the wilderness (pvp area north side)

Pretty much green zones are safe for people and yield lower tier resources. yellow zones have PvP (Did have full loot but changed that to just a bit fo silver drop) for last alpha but doesnt seem like its going over well with community to much so i expect it probaly get changed to a partial loot/inventory type drop in yellow zones but thats my assumption so far the dev are making a big poll and thing or they claim at the end of the alpha for this month

Originally posted by sanshi44

With all the changes, I am still very interested in the game. After there changes the game certainly wont be quenching my UO thirst, but itll be something I will probably enjoy for 2-3 months. Had they stuck to their original vision... probably much much longer.

So yeah:

-New skill tree system

-Zoning EVERYWHERE

The devs are constantly changing things of how the game works fundementaly for testing purposes and getting players feedback on things there constantly on the forums replying to people thought and feedback and suggestions.

Its hard to tell what the game gonna turn out to be due to this atm, i never played UO but it is alot like Runescape with a bit more emphasis on the wilderness (pvp area north side)

Pretty much green zones are safe for people and yield lower tier resources. yellow zones have PvP (Did have full loot but changed that to just a bit fo silver drop) for last alpha but doesnt seem like its going over well with community to much so i expect it probaly get changed to a partial loot/inventory type drop in yellow zones but thats my assumption so far the dev are making a big poll and thing or they claim at the end of the alpha for this month

I know why changes are happening, and many have changed because of community feedback. The devs have failed themselves in this regard. Their vision for a new UO is now bastardized. People want the game more care bear. This is why there are now PvE zones in a PvP game. This is NOT what the game was supposed to be like.

Also... I played Runescape and UO. Mainly UO. And I will tell you that you are categorically wrong. Runescape and UO are not a like. They played completely different. 

So I stick to what I said... it is not an updated version of UO. UO was a virtual world. You can live or die anywhere. In this game, you cannot. In this game you can literally master EVERYTHING. In UO, you made a character that had limited abilities and could create a server wide name for themselves. This does not exist in Albion. There will be no Brit Graveyard hangout in Albion. People will avoid the open PvP areas.

Furthermore, I am in Alpha. I can back up each and every claim. People are literally avoiding PvP areas like the plague when they can. Where as in UO things were balanced because everyone was forced to coincide in the same world. 

• HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453

Originally posted by wyldmagik
    even if people post its good here for you, I just can't get over that torchlight plastic film gfx look.. why oh why use that cartoonish look :(
    because stylized graphics are better than realistic graphics, especially for MMOs

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

One of the few good things is that they didn't make UO's beginning mistake of forcing PvP on everyone. Instead of making a Trammel patch later to save their game, they implemented it immediately. That's a good point for them.

I can personally no longer get immersed in "2.5D" graphics on a 40" computer screen, and having massive zoning with such a primitive engine is unforgivable for a PC game, so I won't be playing this as a main MMORPG.

I will play the game on Android though, it's a good mobile MMO since UO isn't available on that platform yet.

I disagree. Like trammel, it was an after thought. The game is not based around it. The game is now all messed up with no clear direction. Adding stuff like this absolutely destroys the virtual world they were creating. It is now a bunch of quest zones, some where you are in danger. They went against their original goal of recreating that UO feeling, and are now making a generic isometric MMO with some PvP areas. There will be no natural balance like in the original UO days. Instead now they are trying to make EVERYONE happy. And we know what happens when you try to please everyone.

Also, the game plays decently on both my PC, Tablet and Phone. The reason the resolution/zoom is forced is so the game is equally competitive on all devices. Which is a very wise idea. They already have two different groups of people that will be playing the game for a few months each before leaving as there is no actual virtual world anymore.... do we really need to separate people by their resolution too? I wouldn't say this is a good idea for the majority of games, but for one where its DESIGNED AND CREATED TO BE AVAILABLE ON PC AND MOBILE... well its damn right smart.

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

One of the few good things is that they didn't make UO's beginning mistake of forcing PvP on everyone. Instead of making a Trammel patch later to save their game, they implemented it immediately. That's a good point for them.

I can personally no longer get immersed in "2.5D" graphics on a 40" computer screen, and having massive zoning with such a primitive engine is unforgivable for a PC game, so I won't be playing this as a main MMORPG.

I will play the game on Android though, it's a good mobile MMO since UO isn't available on that platform yet.

I disagree. Like trammel, it was an after thought. The game is not based around it. The game is now all messed up with no clear direction. Adding stuff like this absolutely destroys the virtual world they were creating. It is now a bunch of quest zones, some where you are in danger. They went against their original goal of recreating that UO feeling, and are now making a generic isometric MMO with some PvP areas. There will be no natural balance like in the original UO days. Instead now they are trying to make EVERYONE happy. And we know what happens when you try to please everyone.

Also, the game plays decently on both my PC, Tablet and Phone. The reason the resolution/zoom is forced is so the game is equally competitive on all devices. Which is a very wise idea. They already have two different groups of people that will be playing the game for a few months each before leaving as there is no actual virtual world anymore.... do we really need to separate people by their resolution too? I wouldn't say this is a good idea for the majority of games, but for one where its DESIGNED AND CREATED TO BE AVAILABLE ON PC AND MOBILE... well its damn right smart.

I definitely would not want to play a PC game that has been simplified and limited in resolution so that some people can play on their tablets while using the toilet.

I actually have no idea why people are spending 60$ for an alpha for a game made for phones and tablets unless they are going to play primarily on mobile devices. 

• moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    So in otherwords its like every other mmorpg with an older graphics engine, and slightly unique crafting simulation type of stuff wow albien just wow screw you guys and your stupid game thank you so much for releasing more cookie cutter junk.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by F0URTWENTY

Without Trammel, UO would have died a long time ago.

I definitely would not want to play a PC game that has been simplified and limited in resolution so that some people can play on their tablets while using the toilet.

I actually have no idea why people are spending 60$ for an alpha for a game made for phones and tablets unless they are going to play primarily on mobile devices. 

Pretty much why I won't spend a cent on it until it's finished and I'm going to enjoy it on my Android tablet, sometimes even on the toilet  ;-)

Prove that UO would have died without Trammel.  Oh you can't?  So it's just some random dude's opinion?  Gotcha.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by DAS1337
    Prove that UO would have died without Trammel.  Oh you can't?  So it's just some random dude's opinion?  Gotcha.

EA/OSI employees stated it on numerous occasions and sales charts  posted here and elsewhere where UO experienced a sales increase rate that lasted a few YEARS after Ttammel was released seem to back the assertion up.

• AustrianAustrian Member UncommonPosts: 72

Originally posted by DAS1337
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard Originally posted by F0URTWENTY Originally posted by madazz Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard One of the few good things is that they didn't make UO's beginning mistake of forcing PvP on everyone. Instead of making a Trammel patch later to save their game, they implemented it immediately. That's a good point for them. I can personally no longer get immersed in "2.5D" graphics on a 40" computer screen, and having massive zoning with such a primitive engine is unforgivable for a PC game, so I won't be playing this as a main MMORPG. I will play the game on Android though, it's a good mobile MMO since UO isn't available on that platform yet. I disagree. Like trammel, it was an after thought. The game is not based around it. The game is now all messed up with no clear direction. Adding stuff like this absolutely destroys the virtual world they were creating. It is now a bunch of quest zones, some where you are in danger. They went against their original goal of recreating that UO feeling, and are now making a generic isometric MMO with some PvP areas. There will be no natural balance like in the original UO days. Instead now they are trying to make EVERYONE happy. And we know what happens when you try to please everyone.
    Without Trammel, UO would have died a long time ago.   Also, the game plays decently on both my PC, Tablet and Phone. The reason the resolution/zoom is forced is so the game is equally competitive on all devices. Which is a very wise idea. They already have two different groups of people that will be playing the game for a few months each before leaving as there is no actual virtual world anymore.... do we really need to separate people by their resolution too? I wouldn't say this is a good idea for the majority of games, but for one where its DESIGNED AND CREATED TO BE AVAILABLE ON PC AND MOBILE... well its damn right smart.
      I definitely would not want to play a PC game that has been simplified and limited in resolution so that some people can play on their tablets while using the toilet.   I actually have no idea why people are spending 60$ for an alpha for a game made for phones and tablets unless they are going to play primarily on mobile devices.   
    Pretty much why I won't spend a cent on it until it's finished and I'm going to enjoy it on my Android tablet, sometimes even on the toilet  ;-)

Nope. Not some random dude's opinion. Trammel expac came out with UO Renaissance in may of 2000. If you look at the chart, the growth rate does increase quite fast around may of 2000. Though what I would disagree with on those who make the claim that UO would of died without trammel, because UO did not experience any declines until a year after trammel, followed by Age of Shadows (2003) giving it the death blow.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Originally posted by F0URTWENTY

Without Trammel, UO would have died a long time ago.

That last statement about being on the toilet was priceless. 

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

if you want uo well this is lord britishs new game https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/

• TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Tatercake

if you want uo well this is lord britishs new game https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/

I dont know why people are saying this isn't like UO. I played UO for 10 yrs and I personally think this is the closest to UO you can get.  BTW I also play shroud of the avatar and its nothing like UO (good game but not UO at all)

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Originally posted by SirCedric
    I played UO back in the day, and came back to it just a couple months ago. Still love all the options you can do in that game, from mining to hunting dragons. Now I see a game called Albion Online, and it has the same over head view like UO, and has a huge sandbox too. To me it looks like an updated version of UO. So really is that what this new game is? That's not a bad thing BTW.

Shards Online will be the NEXT UO update.

Albion is good but it seems all I do is craft and gather materials.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AustrianAustrian Member UncommonPosts: 72

Originally posted by Talketzanto
    Originally posted by Tatercake if you want uo well this is lord britishs new game https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/  
    I dont know why people are saying this isn't like UO. I played UO for 10 yrs and I personally think this is the closest to UO you can get.  BTW I also play shroud of the avatar and its nothing like UO (good game but not UO at all)

UO focused on the individual rather than guilds or pvp. UO had a ton of more content than AO, you could pretty much be anything in UO while in AO you're stuck with pvp and crafting with PVE being a subsidiary to them both. While UO did have pvp and full loot, the pvp was designed around the game and not the other way around like how AO is. Also AO is a vertical progression game with a cap of t8. As you go up in each tier you get stronger and stronger with literally no weakness, just like in themepark games. But the problem is for a pvp game there isn't much skill involved, just the gear and/or numbers.

In short AO is nothing like UO. It's more like Eve Online but... I dunno... backwards.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by SirCedric

AO atm feels like a bland veersion of old UO. And I don't necessarily mean this in a bad way, it is in alpha after all!

It is in many ways like UO but at the same time it's still  lacking real depth and content that UO had/has (from the perspective of that time).

• TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I think we all forget that UO is what 16 yrs old? This is just alpha so comparing content probably isn't the best comparison. Plus compare this to UO alpha (if you are old enough to remember it) and you will see the difference 
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

This game doesn't have the depth that UO did, that being said it still looks like the first promising pvp game in a while.  A big improvement they can make would be the limited camera viewing.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Noxronin11111Noxronin11111 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    edited September 2015
    wyldmagik said:
    Personally i like this graphic style way more than realistic and i think Albion Online looks beautiful and stylish.
    Cant wait for closed beta!
  • broughbrough Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I think the UO comparison comes from the top-down view but otherwise, I think games like Star Wars Galaxies and Eve Online are closer comparisons.
    brough said:
    I think the UO comparison comes from the top-down view but otherwise, I think games like Star Wars Galaxies and Eve Online are closer comparisons.
    Actually the UO comparison is something they initially advertised. They wanted to make something that reflected what UO was and could have been. Instead, they got super greedy. I don't found much, but I did on this game. I regret it mostly. I will still try out the game at launch, but all the excitement is gone.

The game is now a mish mash of mods, private islands, instanced dungeons, some open maps linked by a small gateway typically and a bastardized skill system they can't seem to stop tinkering with.

They started out with something that could have been great. But then they listened to the community. Like I've said before... a camel is a horse that was designed by a committee. They should have stayed on track. But now they will be just another game that will launch and whither away after a year or two.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Omg, devs actually doing something sensible and changing the direction of the game when they see that initial vision does not work, outrageous!

These boards....