Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resetting the passive tree

BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

I love this game! I really do!

I have played for hours upon hours, and I have enjoyed all the depth it has to offer. But after a while, I took a break. Came back, and I have found my passives all reset. Well, how nice of the devs, they refunded me when they changed the tree, so it's a win-win, right?

Except for the fact that setting all your tree is a pain, really. I did it anyway, and played some more. Took another break, and guess what? The freaking tree resets..

Now, I do this sometimes, and my guess most of the gamers out there do the same. We take breaks. We remember about a really cool game we got lost in, and we come back on a whim. But then, we have all our characters's passives reset and we can't just jump in and respark the flame. NO, we have to respec.. again!

I understand why GGG does it, it's a nice gesture, so whenever they do something to the tree, they don't make us delete obsolete characters. But seriously, stop fucking with the god damn passive tree!

Just now I wanted to play again, and lo and behold... passives reset.

No way I'm doing it! Of course, I could just start from scratch, but my high level toons are staring at me.

Anyone else in the same boat? I'm just curious, am I overreacting?

Comments

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I think this just comes with the system. It's annoying certainly but you're probably just overreacting a little. While redistributing your skills is annoying and daunting for anyone who just wants to left click on some bad guys for a while the alternatives just aren't as easy to do. 

The other choice they have is to release the changes without a reset (you have to pay for those?) with the possibility of giving you something you don't want for your build. 

The second issue would be if they didn't reset you would have to manually search through all your nodes to see if any of yours changed.

So resetting everybody is a very clean and simple way to keep the entire base happy at the risk of a minor hindrance. 

It's a free game give it a break :P

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 670

I think you are overreacting a little :) But what do I know, I only play hardcore and eventually lose my toon to normal anyway.

The thing is.. If they make a change to the skill tree, it needs a reset. This is the time where you can experiment with your character for free. You have the levels and probably the capability to farm with it, even after a complete change to the tree. Especially now when the expansion releases in 4 days and you can figure out if you should build differently :p

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Dont be that lazy guy who cant do anything. At least you are getting free reset. If they didnt offer any way to reset points you would be begging for it.

Get a drink, put some music or a video, sit back and enjoy the ride. Look at all the changes and pick your new passive build.

If you dont have the patience you shouldnt be playing a game with such ridiculously crazy passive tree.

It would get annoying if they reset it every few weeks with a patch, but i think those resets are pretty far from each other.

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    as long as they are delivering a quality game free out of charge, these problems are nothing really.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

Dont be that lazy guy who cant do anything. At least you are getting free reset. If they didnt offer any way to reset points you would be begging for it.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

I understand the reasons behind the resets, and I agree completely and I am grateful for the free respec.

I am not bashing the game, I couldn't, I love it!

But jesus, can they just stop tinkering? I just wanna come back and start hacking at the mobs for 5 minutes.. and I can't.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Tons of builds posted on websites out there for you to go to if don't want to spends a couple hours planning one yourself.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Tons of builds posted on websites out there for you to go to if don't want to spends a couple hours planning one yourself.

Not really on the topic, but building your own character in PoE is all the fun. You got all this customisation, and you would go copy someone?

• CrusoCruso Member UncommonPosts: 1
    @BTrayaL I found it a bit frustrating to have to follow someone else's choices in order to "DO it Right" from the start as well. However, there are offline builders that are available to assist you in planning things out, it can be a chore though. :dizzy: 
  • BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    They will continue to reset the skills tree's of every character you have every major content update
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

I think you are overreacting a little :) But what do I know, I only play hardcore and eventually lose my toon to normal anyway.

The thing is.. If they make a change to the skill tree, it needs a reset. This is the time where you can experiment with your character for free. You have the levels and probably the capability to farm with it, even after a complete change to the tree. Especially now when the expansion releases in 4 days and you can figure out if you should build differently :p

I just started playing Hardcore.  Man, talk about having to grind :awesome:  Wish more games had this in them!  And yeah the OP is overreacting a bit.

Made it to Mervel then got waxed :anguished:   Is ok, lesson learned!  Will do things differently this time!

DMKano said:
    They keep resetting the skill tree because they keep balancing skills and classes. The old build OP had would be crap so they are doing you a favor.
    My build would as likely not be affected at all, except major changes like jewel slots in the tree. Those who assume..

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049
    I have been looking at this game and I just downloaded this from Steam. I also downloaded Devilian,Elite Lords of Alliance and Diablo 3. I have played only Diablo 3 before so the other three are new to me. 

I read about this game and the videos on youtube have intrigued me enough to try this over the others but I worried about the parts where they spoke about the complexity and if you had a bad build you would have to reroll. That worried me but now I read here that they reset the tree so for me this is a good thing especially if you made a mistake I think.

I intend to read up a lot more but I do not play these games to hard mode I am just a casual player. Even when I played Diablo 2 I think I just played it once through. So I guess the intricacies may be wasted on me but nevertheless the passion with which people talk about this game made me want to be part of it. I am hoping I enjoy this enough and get a good build.

I will be playing an archer first as they said in numerous posts the easiest to get into and learn the game.
    Chamber of Chains
  • kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    if you'll make a little mistake there is orb of regret you can find as drop or buy from players :-)