Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dirty Cheaters Getting a Beat Down

Comments

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Reklaw

Sorry for being sceptical byt seeing/playing is believing.

Games still excist out of code.........

Kay?

It's just news man.

You stay sassy!

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

Originally posted by Octagon7711
    These guys have some bold words.  They're telling other devs to fix their game from cheaters and their fix is theory at this point.  Saying something like that should be done after the game is released in the wild and their technique has been proven to work.  On the other hand it's good to see someone being proactive against cheaters rather then knee jerk reactive.

Thanks. So far, so good. As per other posts, we've handled a pretty high number of players and bots and things have run well. And, as we have also been clear on, our bots are PC clients (not NPCs) so they are identical to a player connection. We also have them spamming spells and moving so they add more stress to the system. Now, all that means is that we are moving in the right direction but we are certainly not there yet.

I couldn't agree more. :) As posters who have seen/interacted with me on Massively/MOP know, I tell people to be skeptical. I tell them to wait to subscribe (even though we are one of the few KS-backed companies who give full refunds at this point), do their research, etc. Backers of any KS game need to have a healthy dose of skepticism because, well, making games is hard and making MMORPGs is even harder.  

Originally posted by Superman0X

While I would congratulate them on taking measures to reduce cheating before the game launches (many companies do not put any real effort on this issue until after launch), I would have to say that they do not show any real indication of expertise in this area. This may mean that much of what they are doing is just wasted effort, as it will not bring the intended results.

I will wait to see what the results are before condemning/praising them for their efforts. I would hope that they would do the same before patting themselves on the back. Dealing with cheaters is a non trivial issue, and it is easy to underestimate them, and not something that should be counted before you have results.

Agreed. And we haven't underestimated them at all. We know that no matter what we do, hackers and cheaters will figure some stuff out. That's why to move to a server-based physics system is literally a game-changer. Hacking a client, sniffing and decrypting packets, etc. happens all the time. Hacking a MMORPG's server, that's an entirely different matter.  What we are proud of is not that we have defeated cheaters but rather that we are spending the time and money to address this problem proactively and with a good and hopefully great plan.  All Andrew and I know is that what we are doing is a step in the right direction and one that if the technical problems can be solved on the server-side, that all MMORPGs should because it does hurt cheaters.

Originally posted by dplcaf

No surprise here, this is The all-mighty Mark Jacobs in work. The guys passions to squash hacking,exploiting,botting, gold spamming, and the such, is spectacular.  Remember when they posted on Warhammer Onlines website daily about the amount of bots and gold sellers they banned on a daily basis? I sure do, and I absolutely loved it!

Mr. Jacobs is my last hope in the mmo genre. I just wish the guy had funding on par with Blizzard :)

Way too kind and while I appreciate the sentiment, I hope that you also find other devs and games that you want to play. I love online games and especially MMORPGs and I really hope that in a few years, we can all look back at the roller-coaster nature of this industry and be happy because we are on the way up and not down. 

As to having funding like Blizzard, oh, god forbid. I have no interest in spending 6 or 7 years to do a game.  Now, would I like to have more funding? Of course but if it came with a lot of strings, I'd pass. I've already turned down investment in my studio from people I really liked because of the strings. As I said to them, I've got a ton of Backers  who want me to make the game we pitched. If we can't do that because I got involved doing other and bigger projects, they would be justifiably angry at me and I have no intention nor desire to do that. Now, it wasn't easy saying that because the money/opportunity was, well, the most unique I had even been offered but that's the advantage of having some success int the industry, I could afford to say no. :)

Again, thanks for the very kind words I hope you love what we do with Camelot Unchained.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Kay?

It's just news man.

It will be news to me to see it actually working in the released version. For now I'll stick with games excist out of code and you know code can be altered. Keep in mind I am one who fully support any type of defence against cheaters. But asd said seeing is believing.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Kay?

It's just news man.

It will be news to me to see it actually working in the released version. For now I'll stick with games excist out of code and you know code can be altered. Keep in mind I am one who fully support any type of defence against cheaters. But asd said seeing is believing.

My point is that is is EARLY in development ... the same all games go through but in the case of CU they are extremely open and revealing about early development cycles. Usually players do not even hear a whisper of early development and are fed very selective screens and clips. What is there not to believe? They just showed you! It wasn't an end game presentation ... it was about one particular system mechanic and the advantages and possibilities it brings.

We are hear to discuss what is revealed and not judging an end game product. Everyone knows it does not exist yet as a final product. The enjoyment comes with seeing a game being developed and each step they take along the way.

You stay sassy!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by Octagon7711
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    Originally posted by Satarious
    Originally posted by azzamasin

For those of you who haven't seen it, here's some awesome commentary on the physics in this game and how it prevents all sorts of cheating:  link

Unlike most other MMOs out there, the physics is going to be locked down on the server.

This will lead to some serious desynching for slower connections.

You mean you haven't gotten Google Fiber yet?! :P  Sucks to be you.   But seriously, how many people are on slower connections these days with high speed  broadband access everywhere?

You would be surprised.. Many areas still only have access to 3mb DSL lines that are oversold and congested everyday. Others are stuck with a monopoly that charge an arm and a leg for decent speeds. There is a town near me that only has a cable company and their 15/2 package is $100.

The US is pretty horrible in the broadband rankings.

+1 

I wouldn't be surprised if some number of players are still running xp or just running old machines.  Everyone can't even afford a high speed connection or may see gaming as a low priority but still want to play from time to time.

Well games have a minimum spec rating for a reason. They have zero obligation towards potential players who do not meet minimum standards. 

The evolution of mmo gaming is entirely dependent upon tech. We will only see the true immersive features we demand with evolving bandwidth and tech.

Windows XP? Does Sony or Microsoft give a rat's ass if their previous consoles can't run the latest games? Microsoft farts in the direction of people still running XP. 

A lot of games still have XP listed as the minimum requirement.  How well they play is another story but gamers will read this and buy the games, and complain on the forums if there's a problem.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi

For those of you who haven't seen it, here's some awesome commentary on the physics in this game and how it prevents all sorts of cheating:  link

Unlike most other MMOs out there, the physics is going to be locked down on the server.

was looking forward to this game, but I refuse to play any game that uses graphic card makers proprietary software in games. I refuse to have nvidi products on my AMD machine.

Itsbad enough I play aoc with nvidia logo splashed on the load screen, but I will not be buying or playing any other game that uses nvidia products in conjunction to the game engine. It simply put, its not fair trade, and Ihope AMD works hrd in building a case against such actions that ahmper the growth of the market.

No sale for me, good luck.

Dude, you're totally overreacting. HBAO+, for example, works just fine on AMD hardware (well, it doesn't have the same performance since it's built for another architecture, but it works), and that's true of other GameWorks effects as well.

Turning down a potentially great game for this doesn't seem like a wise choice.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

was looking forward to this game, but I refuse to play any game that uses graphic card makers proprietary software in games. I refuse to have nvidi products on my AMD machine.

Itsbad enough I play aoc with nvidia logo splashed on the load screen, but I will not be buying or playing any other game that uses nvidia products in conjunction to the game engine. It simply put, its not fair trade, and Ihope AMD works hrd in building a case against such actions that ahmper the growth of the market.

The NVIDIA technology they're planning to use is on the SERVER side (ie, it's invisible to you).  So no need to get all bent out of shape since you can use any card you want on the client side.

• Originally posted by Dren_Utogi
    Originally posted by XAleX360

Dude, you're totally overreacting. HBAO+, for example, works just fine on AMD hardware (well, it doesn't have the same performance since it's built for another architecture, but it works), and that's true of other GameWorks effects as well.

I guess that is my choice. When developers stop developing and just start using plugins , it kind of like wordpress. I dont have time for people who arent going to take the steps to improve on physics or any other aspect of game developemnt. When developers simply "plugin" proprietary software it tell me they simply arent going to invest in the total package of development, Physics will never grow if it is never developed, This brings me back to fiar trade, because AMD to has a physics engine, why not use that one... it works on both cards,,, but then again, AMD arent sending out huge checks to make sure developers specifically sell nvisia cards are they,

Ive watched the gaming industry for over 30 years, this graphics card war is the worst war I;ve ever watched and it does not help the consumer in anyway when poor products that simply have more marketing capital to push around are always being "adverted",

The server-side physics engine has nothing to do with whether or not a particular graphics card will work with the game.

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    Fix your shit!! BORO
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0

Originally posted by XAleX360

I guess that is my choice. When developers stop developing and just start using plugins , it kind of like wordpress. I dont have time for people who arent going to take the steps to improve on physics or any other aspect of game developemnt. When developers simply "plugin" proprietary software it tell me they simply arent going to invest in the total package of development, Physics will never grow if it is never developed, This brings me back to fiar trade, because AMD to has a physics engine, why not use that one... it works on both cards,,, but then again, AMD arent sending out huge checks to make sure developers specifically sell nvisia cards are they,

Ive watched the gaming industry for over 30 years, this graphics card war is the worst war I;ve ever watched and it does not help the consumer in anyway when poor products that simply have more marketing capital to push around are always being "adverted",

Umm, we have the source code to PhysX and we've been working with Nvidia to improve it. It is, as other people pointed out, a server-side codebase that doesn't care what card you have. We also checked out Havok early in our game's development and made the call to use PhysX because of source code + Nvidia's engineers continued work on the library.  All MMORPGs I'm aware of use some 3rd party libraries, whether sound engines like Wwise or, rendering engines such as GameBryo or all-in-one engines like Unity. We are actually using far less middleware than most other devs in that the client was built from scratch as was the server (minus PhysX).

In terms of adding HBAO+ and other libraries, we are not only going to support Nvidia-driven hardware. As I've seen in multiple videos, if Nvidia said/hinted/winked that we could get more help if we did that, I would have walked away. We need to be able to support more than just Nvidia's cards and they know that. 

Again, what is crucial to note is that we are one of the few developers who is using PhysX on the server-side, almost all devs use it on the client side. Using PhysX on the server is no different than if we wrote the library ourselves. It doesn't care what card you are on because that is not part of its function when we use it in this manner.

I understand your concern and if we were just supporting Nvidia-based cards I'd agree with you but we're not doing that because, well, it would be pretty damned stupid. 

Mark Jacobs

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Kay?

It's just news man.

My point is that is is EARLY in development ... the same all games go through but in the case of CU they are extremely open and revealing about early development cycles. Usually players do not even hear a whisper of early development and are fed very selective screens and clips. What is there not to believe? They just showed you! It wasn't an end game presentation ... it was about one particular system mechanic and the advantages and possibilities it brings.

We are hear to discuss what is revealed and not judging an end game product. Everyone knows it does not exist yet as a final product. The enjoyment comes with seeing a game being developed and each step they take along the way.

Been with plenty of pre-alpha/friends invite/alpha/beta's to understand a development stage, this also has shown me plenty of game developers are fairly open even if it's strickly towards those who already have some form of acces to the game or closed forums.

Sure it's nice to see their stand against cheater but this specific features is one of the few feature's you could only judge when it is released. So do not bother with thinking I am already judging the feature because I aint. I am here to discus....

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by azzamasin

This will lead to some serious desynching for slower connections.

You mean you haven't gotten Google Fiber yet?! :P  Sucks to be you.   But seriously, how many people are on slower connections these days with high speed  broadband access everywhere?

More than half the country lives in rural areas and small towns.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Originally posted by Boneserino

You would be surprised.. Many areas still only have access to 3mb DSL lines that are oversold and congested everyday. Others are stuck with a monopoly that charge an arm and a leg for decent speeds. There is a town near me that only has a cable company and their 15/2 package is $100.

All serious gamers need to move to Canada now!

We will throw in free health care as an incentive if you act soon!

Forget Canada, just move to Kansas City.  That's where Google Fiber (1Gbps up and down stream) is at.  They pretty much already have the entire city (and the surrounding suburbs) wired up to it now. :)

Or move to the part of South Austin where they are starting their rollout.   It's pretty funny how much better the non-caring internet providers here have become once they had the threat of real competition.

Did Google wire up parts of suburbs outside of the Kansas City city limits?  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Originally posted by Arglebargle

Forget Canada, just move to Kansas City.  That's where Google Fiber (1Gbps up and down stream) is at.  They pretty much already have the entire city (and the surrounding suburbs) wired up to it now. :)

Or move to the part of South Austin where they are starting their rollout.   It's pretty funny how much better the non-caring internet providers here have become once they had the threat of real competition.

Yeah, AT&T is finally getting off their butt and offering their own version of fiber internet speeds in order to compete with Google.  So Google is definitely driving the big boys to action, which is good for consumers.

Google pretty much has the entire city and the immediate surrounding areas (like Shawnee, Olathe, etc) wired up.

Yeah, AT&T is finally getting off their butt and offering their own version of fiber internet speeds in order to compete with Google.  So Google is definitely driving the big boys to action, which is good for consumers.

Google pretty much has the entire city and the immediate surrounding areas (like Shawnee, Olathe, etc) wired up.

About time. Our current provider is Verizon and they were a total PITA to deal with when it came to the office's Internet. We spent months arguing/pleading with them to come and fix our problem. After all, a decent Internet connection might matter for a company like ours, right? :)

Help us Google Fiber, you're our only hope.

Mark Jacobs

Originally posted by MarkJacobs

About time. Our current provider is Verizon and they were a total PITA to deal with when it came to the office's Internet. We spent months arguing/pleading with them to come and fix our problem. After all, a decent Internet connection might matter for a company like ours, right? :)

Help us Google Fiber, you're our only hope.

Just uproot and move to the Silicon Prairie. :)  There's a lot of startup tech companies popping up around Kansas City because of Google Fiber.  But then, I guess the downside is that you will probably have a tough time finding Gaming Dev talent in the Midwest since most of those guys are on the coasts.

Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

...snip

Just uproot and move to the Silicon Prairie. :)  There's a lot of startup tech companies popping up around Kansas City because of Google Fiber.  But then, I guess the downside is that you will probably have a tough time finding Gaming Dev talent in the Midwest since most of those guys are on the coasts.

You might not trust Google to follow a project through for perpetuity in regards to packing up your whole life to be nearer to their services for anyone reading this.

They have a history of dumping any project with little warning. One of their biggest so far was 03d.

What it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uofWfXOzX-g

A year later.

http://o3d.blogspot.com/

Here's a Question and Answer thing they tried - now defunct.

http://answers.google.com/answers/

They are supposed to have like a 20% worker time allotment for brainstormed projects so that's why they come up with things then sometimes take away the manpower.

They aren't as focused as some of the other service providers so they fancy something sometimes only like an experiment and I don't think they want to get called a telecom and start getting different operating rules under them.

Another example is that they didn't stop with literal lines, they are off doing this too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Loon

Here is a list of some things that came and went.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lemonde.fr%2Fpixels%2Fvisuel%2F2015%2F03%2F06%2Fgoogle-memorial-le-petit-musee-des-projets-google-abandonnes_4588392_4408996.html&edit-text=&act=url

IIRC, YT operates at a consistent loss when it comes to profit, the data pays off though.

They kind of throw a lot of things at the wall watching what sticks and for their bottom line - data makes them money so the more they get, the more ultimately they profit. They are are the heart of it a data aggregation system, not a search engine or an email service or a fiber provider. You can think of their tools as ways to get data. Lots of people now consider them an ad service at this point. If you think of them that way then habits online are extremely important so maybe they get a large payoff off of dissecting web traffic acting as an ISP. That could mean the project lasts but it might not too. They have lots of feelers out and have previously ditched projects with little notice.

I'm just saying... don't base your whole life and career around what Google does or you might get disappointed.

Wow.  You must be really anti-Google with the amount of effort you put into this diatribe.  Personally, I've had nothing but positive experiences with Google.  At any rate, I seriously doubt they're going to fold their fiber business anytime soon.  They're already talking about expanding into other U.S. cities throughout the country.  And even in the unlikely scenario that they do decide to get out of the fiber business, they'll most likely sell it to some other telecom like AT&T or Verizon.  So it's not like they'll just shut off the service for their customers when they leave the business.  Also, the way I look at this is that it's a win-win for consumers since Google is basically causing companies like AT&T to heavily invest in their own infrastructure to match what Google offers.  So in a nutshell, I don't think there's anything to worry about unless you're a cable or telecom company who is about to lose a lot of customers.

Originally posted by greenreen

Wow.  You must be really anti-Google with the amount of effort you put into this diatribe.  Personally, I've had nothing but positive experiences with Google.  At any rate, I seriously doubt they're going to fold their fiber business anytime soon.  They're already talking about expanding into other U.S. cities throughout the country.  And even in the unlikely scenario that they do decide to get out of the fiber business, they'll most likely sell it to some other telecom like AT&T or Verizon.  So it's not like they'll just shut off the service for their customers when they leave the business.  Also, the way I look at this is that it's a win-win for consumers since Google is basically causing companies like AT&T to heavily invest in their own infrastructure to match what Google offers.  So in a nutshell, I don't think there's anything to worry about unless you're a cable or telecom company who is about to lose a lot of customers.

There is no effort or anger beyond giving you links to what already exists in my head. That's common knowledge for people in my field. I have to research tech daily to stay competitive and that means knowing all the big players as part of it. Their properties and products have to be evaluated to see if they match what a client needs to solve a problem.

Meanwhile, you completely avoided my point that, no matter what, this is a win-win for consumers in Kansas City and anywhere else Google disrupts the crappy status quo of the old guard internet providers.  You'd rather focus on your irrational and emotional hatred for Google than the ultimate benefit this provides to any area Google sets up shop in.  If these big internet providers (like AT&T) had their way, we (the customers) would be paying through the nose in internet fees since they want to charge people by how much bandwidth they use.  It's companies like Google that pretty much put a stop to that. I can stream unlimited video content and game all I want through Google Fiber without worrying about it getting throttled or being charged out the ass.  This is why I plan on sticking with Google even if AT&T comes out with their own comparable fiber service.  I don't trust the old guard since they seem to want to spin back the clock to AOL online when you had to pay by the minute.