Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FPS Mode deylayed

Comments

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

entitled whiny gamers will kill crowdfunding MMOs all together. Too retarded to grasp the concept of how long it takes to make an MMO from scratch and build a company/team from scratch

enjoy your shiny EA/Microsoft/Ubisoft announcements where you know NOTHING until 6 months before they throw it on the market, equally broken with 250 million budget and 5 years of development

stomp on the little indie with 85 million from actual fans without financial interest

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    Originally posted by Kefo

and then slap yourself in the face when people who dropped thousands of dollars utterly destroy you in the ships they bought

Or much more likely ....

with the "Goonswarm" from EVE Online crawling all over SC with its 10.000 members ....

... cheap basic ships en masse utterly destroying all those fancy high end ships to create "MOAR TEARS" !  (a tactic they honed to perfection in EVE).

Have fun

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    I for one am glad they are delaying it instead of rushing out a half finished product into the beta for the community to be dissapointed and whine over in the forums.  It better release when the game (if ever) goes live tho because if all i wanted to do was fly around, i'd go back to playig elite dangerous.  Let's see what happens first: Elite releases landing on planets, or SC releases either the game with or without this feature.  Bets anyone?
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Vrika
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by JonBonJawa

Blizzard makes 100 million PER MONTH

what do you get from it? I am getting sick of these stupid money complaints, go complain about your fat publishers making hundreds of millions with garbage and cash shop transactions, delivering content every 2 years

stupid 85 million for 5 years is NOTHING

At least the people playing WoW have a game to play. Currently SC has the cash shop and a subscription in place for a game that isn't even finished and won't be for some time.

By your logic and reasoning I guess that would make them fat publishers then.

The big difference is here, you do not have to buy anything!  You can just wait it out till SC releases. 

You do have to pay up tho to play WoW.

Star Citizen is not F2P. Even if you wait until it's released you'll have to buy it in order to play.

Sigh I was responding to the SC... the buying ships thing.  You do not have to do that! That´s what I meant.

You do not have to spend any money NOW!  Just wait till the game officially released and buy it then.

and then slap yourself in the face when people who dropped thousands of dollars utterly destroy you in the ships they bought

Yeah actually wondering how they could counter something like that at launch. 

Normally I could care less what other people have ingame aslong the game provides me the means to be able to catch up.

SC is the the first games I think it's unlikely to ever catch up even if you are able to gain everything ingame by playing the game. 

But on the other hand if you can get into a pretty good guild or play with a group of friends might make allot of difference. 

On topic, as far I could find info this is merly about the module: Star Marines right? It isn't about avatars able to walk around on spacestations/planets? but pure it's FPS combat module?

• TswordZTswordZ Member UncommonPosts: 66

"Oh, no. FPS it's delayed! Why they took so much time? Better launch it how it is! You must learn from the team form Batman: Arkham Knight, who launch the game on time"

/sarcasm

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    This game is starting to look more and more like "Miss Space ship USA" with Trump at the helm, buy the newest top of the line ship, tomorrow buy the newest bestets, topest of the line ship, after tomorrow buy the most newest, most bestets, more topest of the line ship and so on and so forth, when this game launches if ever does, they need to have a Miss Spaceship Pageant.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Better to suffer the complaining due to delay, than the complaining due to poor execution.  

I self identify as a monkey.

Originally posted by justmemyselfandi
    Originally posted by TswordZ

"Oh, no. FPS it's delayed! Why they took so much time? Better launch it how it is! You must learn from the team form Batman: Arkham Knight, who launch the game on time"

/sarcasm

And just think, those incompetent morons who made the Arkham Knight PC port so god awful that Warner Brothers had to take it off shelves, are the same morons Chris Roberts hired to do the last module SC put out. That's the kind of low budget, bargain basement "talent" Chris Roberts is spending your money on to save more for himself.

Go ahead .... surprise me .... in what capacity is either Rocksteady Studios or Iron Galaxy Studios involved in Star Citizen ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Arkham_Knight

http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/development/matthew-wilson/arkham-knight-pc-port-was-outsourced-to-a-console-studio/

Here is a list of games Iron Galaxy is working on and - HINT HINT - Star Citizen is not on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Galaxy_Studios

Have fun

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Originally posted by Erillion

Another Gamespot  CLICKBAIT article. Deliberate use of exaggerated wording to generate ad income.

FPS module development takes longer than planned due to rewriting the netcode - something that was expected by a vast majority of the backers. Overall project schedule currently not at risk, development for other parts of the game going ahead well.

Read this :

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14803-Letter-From-The-Chairman

Have fun

Right, "Pay no attention to that award-winning news source that's been around since 1996.  Here: have your normal dose of medicine, right from the horse's mouth!"

...I'm sorry image

Those that bother to actually read the article will see that the author linked to the LFTC Erillion links to (and also an article about a new $400 passenger ship on sale).  It's presenting multiple sides to the issue like a good news source should, and honestly, what news article wouldn't want to attract clicks?

Erillion's reaction strikes me as typical cult-like xenophobia: "if anyone criticizes us, they must be wrong!"  I encountered this exact same type of response when Wired (which I am a subscriber to) printed a feature on SC.

If SC's community is going to survive, it will have to learn to roll with the punches a little more.

Merriam Webster defines indefinite as "not certain in amount or length."

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

You DO know that Clickbait articles raise click count which leads to higher income from advertising for websites, do you not ?

So .. no matter what is written in the main text of the article, a controversial sensationalist headliner is important for them.

Award winning or not, everyone wants food on the table .. and for website admins that means CLICK ON,  DUDES !

Have fun

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

In the same vein, announcing an FPS as being ready and showing it off at a gaming convention with the intention of gaining headlines and more money when it clearly wasn't ready is, in principle, no different to click baiting.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071

stomp on the little indie with 85 million from actual fans without financial interest

Again, I'm sorry, but nothing about 85 million USD qualifies as "little".  The city built a huge library in my hometown and filled it with books for 9 million.

When successfully completed, Star Citizen will likely be one of the most expensive video games ever made.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

In the same vein, announcing an FPS as being ready and showing it off at a gaming convention with the intention of gaining headlines and more money when it clearly wasn't ready is, in principle, no different to click baiting.

Go ahead - surprise me.

Show me where Chris Roberts or CIG declared the FPS module as "ready" during ANY gaming convention.

They always gave a caveat that this is a very early pre-Alpha version of the FPS module. E.g. 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/01/star-citizen-reveals-first-person-module

"Roberts first teased the module during Gamescom earlier this year ..."

"There is a lot more polish to be added to the first-person shooting component of the space exploration title before it launches.."

Have fun

• SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Over the year or so I have been greatly tempted to buy into it but for some reason I didnt at this time and date I'm glad I listened to my better self. I like to see it succeed If it ever launches it will be a huge draw of players across this planet of ours.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Go ahead - surprise me.

Show me where Chris Roberts or CIG declared the FPS module as "ready" during ANY gaming convention.

They always gave a caveat that this is a very early pre-Alpha version of the FPS module. E.g. 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/01/star-citizen-reveals-first-person-module

"Roberts first teased the module during Gamescom earlier this year ..."

"There is a lot more polish to be added to the first-person shooting component of the space exploration title before it launches.."

Have fun

I think you're misunderstanding my phrasing. I mean "ready" as a functioning module for the backers to play with (like AC), not "ready" in the context of a final build.

• bones1011bones1011 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by justmemyselfandi
    "The FPS isn't just an add-on to Star Citizen, it's the fundamental basis for movement and control of your player character in the Persistent Universe, Squadron 42, and beyond. This is why it takes as long as it does, and why even when you see the first version soon, it will continue to iterate and change and improve after that, similar to the process you saw with Arena Commander that's still ongoing."
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am not worried because 90% of the team is building content we haven´t seen and won´t see before Squadron 42 is out
     and nothing is keeping them from doing so

I see three fundamental hurdles CIG needs to take this year, after that it should be smooth sailing:

1. Getting the FPS mechanics in place, to a status it can be reliably used as a backend for all things on foot in SC/SQ42

2. Improving the overall network mechanics to run so it works for the MMO scale, get the hit detection and latency right

3. Getting the large world extension ready to work with all game systems

If they have all that, they can hook up all the systems and features they have and plug in whatever game modules we need

Originally posted by Mikeha

This game should have been finished.

no. Absolutely no.

No game of this scope has ever been made, and those MMOs that are remotely comparable in size took 5-6 years.

Every single one, go look it up.

CIG can take easily 2-3 more years and they are still well within usual game development time frames. Early 2013 they got the first office.

I´d get a bit impatient though if the game wouldn´t be out by 2019 though. I hope for mid or late 2017. Expecting it earlier is delusional.

Yeah right. If Chris Roberts runs of of ships to sell and "stretch goals" to keep the free money rolling in by 2017, he'll just start selling asteroids and planets. Maybe by 2025, he'll run out of crap to promise and reskins to sell and then you *might* see a game.

He is not putting a gun to anyone's head to buy ships.  I have purchased one ship.  I have help fund the project.  Don't feel the need to have to buy another.   I just find it so funny that people post about all the ships he is releasing for purchase like he is forcing you to buy them.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by vgamer
    I'm glad though they keep pumping out ships I can buy with $.

Same. Steady income from an already established and profitable source makes more sense than running new crowdfunding campaigns for Nexuiz and Revival which might not garner as much cash as selling ships to the Star Citizen crowd. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I had a hard time following what Chris was going on about.

To me it just sounds like any normal operation having various server machines handling various content.It also just sounded to me like instance after instance,then calls it a persistent world lol.

I would normally say just more stalling to continue soaking up that cash shop but in all honesty,they have not spent nearly enough time on this game to call any portion of it finished or in his terms "first iteration".

I don't get the whole "MODULE" talk,that is one of my biggest peeves in games like MOBA's everything is just a module instead of looking like a game world.I never like to feel like i am at an Arcade where i put my 50 cents in to play on that machine,then 50 cents to hop onto another machine and sop on and so on,i like the game to feel like one entity.Think along the lines of H1Z1,the only thing people play is BR a 15 minute instance,,removed from the rest of the game world.

What it really sounds like is this game is going to operate like GW1,a lobby,full of instances,none of the "modules" are together in the game but instead separated through instances.

I am by no means saying this type of game is easy to pull of,imo it is the toughest game to pull off.However all the small detail that goes into trying to pull this off cost effectively brings out a worse product.Everything from boarding a ship "instance" to landing "instance".i expect even the story and everything else to always feel instanced and separated from the game world.Hangar's...yep instanced,all of the design just ruins any quality and fun it would be to have a real quality game such as this one.

I feel the end result is going to give me the same feel as SWTOR did,just a game that "could have been" but never felt like an EPIC space game,instead just Wing  Commander with updated graphics.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Hopefully everything works out

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Originally posted by Wizardry

To me it just sounds like any normal operation having various server machines handling various content.It also just sounded to me like instance after instance,then calls it a persistent world lol.

I would normally say just more stalling to continue soaking up that cash shop but in all honesty,they have not spent nearly enough time on this game to call any portion of it finished or in his terms "first iteration".

I don't get the whole "MODULE" talk,that is one of my biggest peeves in games like MOBA's everything is just a module instead of looking like a game world.I never like to feel like i am at an Arcade where i put my 50 cents in to play on that machine,then 50 cents to hop onto another machine and sop on and so on,i like the game to feel like one entity.Think along the lines of H1Z1,the only thing people play is BR a 15 minute instance,,removed from the rest of the game world.

What it really sounds like is this game is going to operate like GW1,a lobby,full of instances,none of the "modules" are together in the game but instead separated through instances.

I am by no means saying this type of game is easy to pull of,imo it is the toughest game to pull off.However all the small detail that goes into trying to pull this off cost effectively brings out a worse product.Everything from boarding a ship "instance" to landing "instance".i expect even the story and everything else to always feel instanced and separated from the game world.Hangar's...yep instanced,all of the design just ruins any quality and fun it would be to have a real quality game such as this one.

I feel the end result is going to give me the same feel as SWTOR did,just a game that "could have been" but never felt like an EPIC space game,instead just Wing  Commander with updated graphics.

The modules and instances don't refer to actual gameplay.

Instance is the word they use when they're trying to tell you that they have complex technology that distributes the processing load to multiple computers so that it's completely invisible to you and you can play in a seamless word.

Modules is the word they use when they're trying to explain that they have split the project to several smaller pieces, and have different teams working on those different pieces. They call those pieces modules. Ideally it'll also be completely invisible to you that the game is programmed this way.

It's complicated. Just think of Chris Roberts as remote controller salesman who's giving you a lecture about technical principles behind how a remote controller works and how it's assembled at the factory.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Instance is the word they use when they're trying to tell you that they have complex technology that distributes the processing load to multiple computers so that it's completely invisible to you and you can play in a seamless word.

Modules is the word they use when they're trying to explain that they have split the project to several smaller pieces, and have different teams working on those different pieces. They call those pieces modules. Ideally it'll also be completely invisible to you that the game is programmed this way.

It's complicated. Just think of Chris Roberts as remote controller salesman who's giving you a lecture about technical principles behind how a remote controller works and how it's assembled at the factory.

Its not a seamless world, it will be filled with load screens.  

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Originally posted by TheYear1500

Its not a seamless world, it will be filled with load screens.  

I thought their plan was to create tech to handle transitions between instances without any loading screen. Did they change it?

I think it's seamless if there's tech that hides those seams completely.

Originally posted by TheYear1500

I thought their plan was to create tech to handle transitions between instances without any loading screen. Did they change it?

I think it's seamless if there's tech that hides those seams completely.

TheYear1500 is guessing ... no one yet has an idea if and where there will be loading screens. Current transitions in Arena Commander are no indication, because you are essentially logging into a SimPod ("playing a game in an arcade machine/simulator in-game").

Here is a guestimate by me personally - there may be some loading screens, but they most likely will hide them well -

-  riding an elevator ( Mass Effect was hiding some loading that way too)

-  passing through customs (the scanning for weapons scene in the SC trailer)

-  (OPTIONAL) passing over final approach to a landing beacon system that guides you to your landing position

-  passing a stargate/wormhole routinely as your nav computer guides you through it  (when you FIRST enter a gate there is this mini game on navigating the "wormhole" that we have seen in a trailer, but flying through a known gate will most likely hide some loading of the next star system)

- waiting for an airlock to cycle from vacuum to full atmosphere (that would be my guess for most combat boarding action and for entering space ships)

etc.

Have fun

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by rubydragon5

According to gamespot, SC FPS mode has been delayed indefinitely

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizens-fps-mode-delayed-indefinitely/1100-6428528/

I am hoping this doesn't become a big mess and a decent product is still delivered.

This was always the danger...  The game is trying to do too much, too early and all at once...

They should have fully released a solid space sim first then after a while worked on the FPS part and released as an expansion.  Looks like Elite:D will be the sure fire bet at this stage..

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

Again, I'm sorry, but nothing about 85 million USD qualifies as "little".  The city built a huge library in my hometown and filled it with books for 9 million.

When successfully completed, Star Citizen will likely be one of the most expensive video games ever made.

still SC is about 180 million behind the development budget of GTA V

and it´s about 3 years less time in development than GTA V and Sykrim and they had established studios, not hired the team from scratch building up offices.

yet the vocal minority complainers have the impression in their heads SC would be overdue and over budget.

It will take until 2017 to finish it, is my realistic opionion ,and that´s perfectly okay