Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why isn't the Secret World more popular?

Comments

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146

I played back at launch and really enjoyed the setting and mood of the game but found combat and character animation to be dull , boring and lifeless. I did not like the way the skill wheel worked , which to me seemed to be filled with mostly junk for the sake of  giving the game a large number of skills.

I have come back  three or  four times to check on changes and improvements but never make it past a week or so. Combat still needs a major overhaul and the game really needs more zones/ cities to run around in.

On the plus side the game has one of the nicer communities to play with .  I don't regret buying the game  as it did give me a few weeks of fun but I do not see myself coming back without major upgrades and changes to some of its core designs.

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675

While the questing is great and it has a unique setting, the animations are terrible and the combat feels clunky.  Poor combat can be the death of any MMO, regardless of how strong it is in other areas.  I also did not like that the game did not actually feel like a "world" to me, it felt very static.  I enjoyed the quests a lot, but it never felt like I was learning the "lore" of the game, likely because the game is a melting pot of several already existing horror themes.  One of my favorite aspects of questing is learning about the game world, but in this game I felt like I was learning about other established horror universes (it did get me looking into Lovecraft).

Basically you had a game that focused on capturing a small niche market (people looking for a modern horror mmo) and then still had a few flaws that lost them some of that market.

What is left behind is a small but dedicated community.  It is something you cannot find a replacement for, so I suspect that the people this really appeals to will always be sticking with this game.  For myself it is something I dabble in from time to time.  I love the questing, but the combat ends up hurting my fun.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

For me it was the garbage character models.  Looked like they had an unpaid intern working on that aspect of the game.  How could they be so much worse than the AoC characters when it's the same company? 

MMORPGs ask players to sink hundreds if not thousands of hours into their characters, making them not look like shit is important. 

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by justmemyselfandi

Honest answer?

Because it's hard and makes you use your brain.

What's hard about Google? Considering the entire game is built around Google. Surprised they don't have "GOOGLE" splattered on the tanks of all the new bikes and an entire wardrobe ensemble.

See OP, too hard.  Easier to run to Google than making attempt(s) and die figuring out the puzzles(s).

My initial post stands.

I mean you remember the game literally requires you to use a web browser right?  That is what he is talking about.  Acknowledging that your favorite game can still improve is not exactly a big deal, do not make it into a personal issue.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I love so many things about TSW, and I played it pretty hard for about 6 months, which is longer than most MMOs keep my attention nowadays. That being said, TSW is just too small of a game. Once you start repeating quests you've done 10 times to try and finish out that wheel (I hit 80% before I threw in the towel), you'll see what I mean. 

Joined - July 2004

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by strawhat0981

Honest answer?

What's hard about Google? Considering the entire game is built around Google. Surprised they don't have "GOOGLE" splattered on the tanks of all the new bikes and an entire wardrobe ensemble.

See OP, too hard.  Easier to run to Google than making attempt(s) and die figuring out the puzzles(s).

My initial post stands.

I am guessing you were one of the ones who paid a lifetime sub.

You would be guessing wrong kid.

Originally posted by Baitness

Honest answer?

My initial post stands.

I mean you remember the game literally requires you to use a web browser right?  That is what he is talking about.  Acknowledging that your favorite game can still improve is not exactly a big deal, do not make it into a personal issue.

I know, TSW is the ONLY game that people can use a web browser for.  I mean during my raiding days in WOTLK, Rift etc. the raid Leader NEVER did an ALT TAB out using a Google search a Youtube video for help.

BTW TSW isn't my favorite game, try again.

• SquireXSquireX Member UncommonPosts: 82

I started playing TSW a few weeks ago on the 3 day trial and then purchased the Base game on the Steam sale. I've enjoyed it so much, I purchased Ultimate edition.

Frankly, I find the quest design very refreshing. It just seems to flow more organically (if that makes sense). I also don't understand why so much hate about combat. Frankly, I don't see it any better or worse than your typical number pressing skill MMORPG. The skill wheel is interesting but I'm an altoholic so I'm not sure yet how I feel about being able to play any skill.

The community has been fantastic and the atmosphere is great.

Originally posted by SquireX

I started playing TSW a few weeks ago on the 3 day trial and then purchased the Base game on the Steam sale. I've enjoyed it so much, I purchased Ultimate edition.

Frankly, I find the quest design very refreshing. It just seems to flow more organically (if that makes sense). I also don't understand why so much hate about combat. Frankly, I don't see it any better or worse than your typical number pressing skill MMORPG. The skill wheel is interesting but I'm an altoholic so I'm not sure yet how I feel about being able to play any skill.

The community has been fantastic and the atmosphere is great.

Did you get more than 3 toon slots with the Ultimate Edition?

• agentsi1511agentsi1511 Member UncommonPosts: 47

Honestly, I played the game at launch for about 2 months. The story and puzzles within the quest were awesome. I really felt like the character driven story was worthwhile. The mean chick for the illuminati really angered me as I'm sure she was supposed too lol. But the main issue I had with the game, was the same one across the board for my friends and guild mates. The combat system just sucked, like it wasn't anything special at all. If was very bland, water downed even. WoW's combat is leaps and bounds better than their system. Now I've went back and played a few times but can't get back into it. Easily the worst combat of any mmo I've played in recent years. The talent / leveling system was unique, but a flawed. They give you all these choices but don't always allow them to play nicely together. 

That is only my opinion though, and that of my friends. If they improved it to say like a Wildstar, or an ESO type combat environment where everything isn't combo based it could play out well.

• Bullet2hartBullet2hart Member UncommonPosts: 3

I enjoyed it for a week or so, but eventually got bored of using the in-game browser to complete quests... At first I'd try to solve them myself, and only really use it when it referenced outside things, or made me do research on to some random author of a book I've never read or intend to read just so I could progress through a quest.

So I gave up trying on the investigation quests and just did easy mode on them, and once you take that away you're left with a clunky feeling game, where you have no real instruction on how to build a decent character, and have to constantly ask for help on what you should be leveling. 

So in my opinion, the game makes you do stuff you don't really want to do, then when you get bored of using google for help, you have to get help from other sources, the game just made me feeling helpless and as if I could only progress if I was actively seeking help from multiple sources... It was just a big turn off.

• SquireXSquireX Member UncommonPosts: 82

I only have 3 slots; however, the ultimate gave me ALL content expansions currently available, plus boosters, starter weapons, etc.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

Honest answer?

My initial post stands.

I know, TSW is the ONLY game that people can use a web browser for.  I mean during my raiding days in WOTLK, Rift etc. the raid Leader NEVER did an ALT TAB out using a Google search a Youtube video for help.

You haven't been playing mmo's long enough if that is really the case.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by f0dell54

Honest answer?

My initial post stands.

You haven't been playing mmo's long enough if that is really the case.

Methinks you only read the first sentence or sarcasm is not apparent.  

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534

If it wasn't for the glaring flaws the game has I believe it would be more popular also I think the stigma of "Funcom" turned off a lot of people. It has it's niche community that thinks it's "more" than what it is but it's enough people to keep it a float.

The game isn't bad but definitely not great but it's fun for some so I guess that's all that matters.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

Because it doesnt have a free trial.

I like the concept and I'm truly interested in playing but after doing my research I've heard a lot of bad stuff so I wont spend my money on it unless I can at least try it.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Didn't they revamp the combat and/or the animations not too long ago?  Judging from this thread not much has changed. I initially left due to the awkward combat.  Questing and story are top notch, agreed, but the combat is what really kills it for me.
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,197
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Didn't they revamp the combat and/or the animations not too long ago?  Judging from this thread not much has changed. I initially left due to the awkward combat.  Questing and story are top notch, agreed, but the combat is what really kills it for me.

And they are still horrible. 

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• Bluefear77Bluefear77 Member UncommonPosts: 112

Thank you for everyone who legitimately responded and didn't just antagonize in an desperate attempt for a response.

The combat is clearly a turnoff for many people. Such a shame because the questing and story really deliver a unique and fun experience.

When I play an MMORPG I mostly focus on story which explains why I like the game so much.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by strawhat0981

Honest answer?

If you were honest, you would say it is because of the horrible animations and the shit combat.

Both are true.

I love the difficulty of the game but because there is not enough people playing i can never find someone around my same "level" in any map to do open world content (missions, etc) so i have to stop playing.

Plus the animations and combat are also sad and put me off after a few fights and leave me craving for something better, so i also stop playing.

I wish the game was more popular. And i wish AoC had the same business model too. I would be playing both games.

• JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    TSW was an awesome game until that Aegis crap infected it.  I quit playing about an hour after reaching Tokyo.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by mysticmouse

I played back at launch and really enjoyed the setting and mood of the game but found combat and character animation to be dull , boring and lifeless. I did not like the way the skill wheel worked , which to me seemed to be filled with mostly junk for the sake of  giving the game a large number of skills.

I have come back  three or  four times to check on changes and improvements but never make it past a week or so. Combat still needs a major overhaul and the game really needs more zones/ cities to run around in.

On the plus side the game has one of the nicer communities to play with .  I don't regret buying the game  as it did give me a few weeks of fun but I do not see myself coming back without major upgrades and changes to some of its core designs.

This is pretty much how I feel.  Also in some areas mobs are packed to close together, solo the only thing you can do is stand there and fight or risk multiple aggro.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

TSW lost a lot on a crappy launch, releasing a half finnished game was fine back with AO but it doesn't work anymore.

The setting doesn't help either, most MMOers seems to prefer fantasy games followed by sci-fi. That might be unfair since so few other types of MMOs have been made though but a lot of players seems to want similar games to what they have already played. I personally wish they would have put the setting a bit closer to "Delta green" (Cthulhu based modern PnP game).

TSW is a gem though, it is one of the few good ones that have been made the last 10 years. If FunCom actually would have released the game in better shape it would likely be far more popular.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

... I'm an altoholic so I'm not sure yet how I feel about being able to play any skill.

Nope, Ultimate is simply all the content released so far, and some additional fluff (outfits and starter weapons).

SquireX, at first it will be a bit odd (fellow altoholic here as well image), but it has its advantages too, I mean the "having every role options available in one character" part. In TSW you really need only 3 (+3) characters, one for each faction (+ one for each faction on the other gender, if you want all the cosmetic options too). Ok, I personally have 7, but only by accident :) 

(and since the gender difference is purely the outfits they can wear, and there are no levels, nor restrictions on outfits, it's cheaper to get a second box on sale than buying 3 more character slots. They're good for mule too, I have mine ladies standing in the London post all the time image)

But if you are not interested in the other factions, or the cosmetics, one character is all you need.

Frankly, I find the quest design very refreshing. It just seems to flow more organically (if that makes sense).

Yep, it's great, gives an adventure game-ish feel to the whole. You should've hear the responses at the start, it was louder than even the combat & animations crowd :) "have only 1 quest, wtf? i want to grab all the quests from the hub and play the checklist dammit" was pretty amusing.

Speaking of adventures, a bit off-topic, but the new Book in Dreamfall Chapters went live a few days ago...  image Ragnar

• WicasaWicasa Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Too depressing and dark... Enough of that in the real world... Unreal graphics engine 3 or 4 and make it beautiful (flowers and all)!