Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why isn't the Secret World more popular?

Bluefear77Bluefear77 Member UncommonPosts: 112

I'm posting this hoping to get serious responses.

I recently returned to this game after playing at launch and purchased the Ultimate Pack.

When I played at launch I primarily did PVP. If you remember you could level very quickly when PVPing at launch. I stopped playing after launch because I finished the main story.

So now returning I have leveled the traditional way with questing.

The game really is one of the best MMORPG's I've ever played. The quests are A++ and the world is engaging. The graphics are excellent compared to other MMORPG's.

My biggest complaints with the game are the crafting (which is terrible) and the animations are sometimes stiff/awkward.

But neither of these issues imo ruin the game..

So why isn't this game more popular???

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Honest answer?

Because it's hard and makes you use your brain.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Some is because the setting is not Ocs and Elves fantasy.  That (kind of fantasy) and space sci-fi usually dominate the polls on preferred environments in an MMORPG.

I think this is because they are familiar and there's no stress on the individual to adapt to something new.

edit in parenthesis

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,672

Personally:

Because I've seen better melee combat in a string puppet fight.

If they would only turn their attention to this.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,197
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Honest answer?

If you were honest, you would say it is because of the horrible animations and the shit combat.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

lots of reasons.

the combat is pretty awful, the skill wheel or whatever it's called is pretty terrible and dont really leave you with a lot of options.

animations are  ugly

the PvP is bad

it's pretty low on content (at least last time i checked)

etc etc.

basically it's one of those games that is nice to play through at least once and then you move on.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Why should it be more popular?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

"if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    I liked The Secret World, too. I only played for a few months about 3 years back, but the Lovecraftian world and awesome Investigation quests really do set it apart from the rest of the stuff on the market. Unfortunately, there is so much great entertainment nowadays competing for our free time, and the MMO genre is flooded with a ton of other games to choose from that have smoother and more satisfying gameplay. The setting and quest design may be really cool, but my first impression of the game was that it felt and looked clunky, and that never really went away.  
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Being popular has nothing to do with quality, just look at wow :)

I personally like that TSW is a kinda "hidden gem", actually I spoke against the b2p switch too on multiple forums - and I willingly admit I was wrong because it wasn't that bad (plenty of good folks arrived), but could've been much worse, luckily the rest of the crowd left whilst complaining the combat and the animations image

It'd be a shame if TSW would become something like Kelly's Donnie Darko. I agree with you on "The game really is one of the best MMORPG's I've ever played." And that's fine I think, why should it be more popular? It has a decent population, and more importantly a great one, quality-wise. Lately even FC puts more resources and developement in it... the game is in a pretty nice state currently, imo. If they can maintain this status quo, I'm good with that.  (just an opinion of course)

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,672

Maybe the question could be - What holds it back from being more popular?

But then you could ask that of any mmo out there.

Originally posted by strawhat0981

Honest answer?

If you were honest, you would say it is because of the horrible animations and the shit combat.

See OP?

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201

When the game was launched,  me and a friend got the game from greenmangaming for $7,  I enjoyed it for a while but my friend never got into it.

I quit when I got tired of having to go outside to game to answer questions in the game that there was no way for me to know the answers to.

There were some fun parts like using the skilll tree to get skins but in the end, i just lost interest.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I think it's a combination of things.

The setting isn't your traditional fantasy genre.  If you look at the vast majority of MMOs, they are traditional fantasy.  That's what the majority of people like.

It's a bit tougher than your traditional games.  That can also turn people off.

Combat is a much lamented part of the game.  People often site this as a downfall of the game.

It's a very good game, and I return to it periodically.  I can strongly recommend this one.

I self identify as a monkey.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

Maybe the question could be - What holds it back from being more popular?

But then you could ask that of any mmo out there.

How about the question.  Why don't other players love this game exactly like I do?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Honest answer?

See OP?

Umm yea i did, he said "some what awkward". I said they are total shit, and the combat sucks.

• codinky01codinky01 Member Posts: 4

I try my absolute best to get people into it and honestly everyone who tried it, still plays it.

Unfortunately I can only stretch my invitation out so much haha. It's a gem for sure, I hope it stays running for some years.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Because the game is boring.

/thread

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Honest answer?

See OP?

There is nothing hard about the combat. And it is bad...really bad.  Does not matter how the rest of the game and quests/story is if the combat is so terrible, that most people get turned off by it.

I think this game should have gone the FTP route. I mostly hate FTP..but  think the extra eyes this game could of gotten from FTP may have helped. It is going to be a very small amount of people that can overlook the bad combat and stick around for the rest of the game. 

Having a BTP barrier to  more people seeing the game is not good in this situation.

Originally posted by Mikeha

Because the game is boring.

/thread

It is much worse then boring. It is SUPER BORING lol.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Originally posted by codinky01

I try my absolute best to get people into it and honestly everyone who tried it, still plays it.

Unfortunately I can only stretch my invitation out so much haha. It's a gem for sure, I hope it stays running for some years.

And sorry...no not even close to true. The buy to play, in this case, is bad for this game. I bought it very cheap on sale..and still could not get past the bad combat. So, not anywhere close to all that try it stay.

This is one time i would say try FTP...get it out there for free...let people try it and you would get more long term players without the BTP barrier in this case.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,359
    I didn't stay in TSW due to sub par combat mechanics. The animations were bad too.
  • KeldienKeldien Member UncommonPosts: 119

It's very easy to blow through all of the available content, leaving only Nightmare, Lair and the little raid content.  TSW doesn't give a very good reason to do any of those, however.  There is no ever-escalating raid content like EQ or WoW, so there's little reason to participate in what little there is - not even much in the way of cosmetic pieces.

I find it to be a great game to pick up once every few months when a new issue comes out, because the story content is second to none, there's just nothing that keeps my attention after that is done.

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

I got into the closed beta of this game, and at first i loved it. I loved it so much in fact that i went ahead and bought lifetime subs for both myself and my gf. We are both Lovecraft fans so its right up our ally(especially her).

Over the course of the closed beta however, they kept making changes or adding "features" to the game that were we'll ... bad. In fact it seemed that any suggestions made by players in closed beta were pretty much brushed off or were simply given excuses for not addressing. Some examples included the crafting system which was the worst i have ever seen in an mmo. The also had a much more neat looking map interface in beta that they changed into the passable but not as good map they use now. And of course the skill system, both in terms of the skill wheel having so many useless skills that didn't scale well at all compared to other skills as well as so many underwhelming borderline useless passives. And as others have mentioned the combat animations are pretty bad. It stands out a lot more in a game where the environments and monsters are so well done.

In my case, i decided to pull back by the end of beta and try to cancel my lifetime subs i had purchased as by this point i was not optimistic that the game was going to get improved given the direction that the developers had taken during beta. so i just wanted to scale back to just a regular 2 copies of the game and see how it goes from there. Unfortunately this meant dealing with electronic arts. Many are the stories of EA ripping people off when they try to get a refund or making it as difficult as possible are already online. Ultimately in the end i got neither my money back or any TSW accounts. I foolishly had made my purchase with a prepaid credit card, and so had no real consumer protections that wouldn't involve me spending more money in the process of getting my money back then the money itself that i had already spent. So Funcom/EA got to rip me off and get away with it scott free, and they will never see another cent from me ever again.

A shame really because at this point i would definitely have given them a try again. despite it's flaws it did have a lot of promise.

Originally posted by justmemyselfandi

Honest answer?

What's hard about Google? Considering the entire game is built around Google. Surprised they don't have "GOOGLE" splattered on the tanks of all the new bikes and an entire wardrobe ensemble.

See OP, too hard.  Easier to run to Google than making attempt(s) and die figuring out the puzzles(s).

My initial post stands.

Originally posted by justmemyselfandi

Honest answer?

What's hard about Google? Considering the entire game is built around Google. Surprised they don't have "GOOGLE" splattered on the tanks of all the new bikes and an entire wardrobe ensemble.

See OP, too hard.  Easier to run to Google than making attempt(s) and die figuring out the puzzles(s).

My initial post stands.

I am guessing you were one of the ones who paid a lifetime sub.