Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall Unholy Wars Needs Help. Is F2P the Answer?

Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499

I've always leaned towards PVP games because I get board with predictable PVE AI so I've recently jumped back into DFUW with a one month non-recurring subscription. I figured $14 what the hell lets see how its doing with the new patches. It's more of a true sandbox now allowing anyone to wield what ever weapon and choose any skills they wish but the prowess system still irks me a little bit. I really wish skills advanced with use and not by spending prowess to up them, but all in all it really would be a cool PVP game if it had the population to support it.

I really think people are turned off by the character animations when they first jump in as they are horrible and your character walking and running around looks pretty goofy. The world is beautiful though, I was really impressed with it and the water graphics. You can even see water running off the rocks when it's raining. The major thing lacking though is people, I roamed around yesterday for 5 to 6 hours straight, all over the map back and forth and didn't even see a single person. Once I got to some of the major towns I saw 1 or 2 people and I saw a max of 3 people other than myself and they were just standing AFK...

Looks like Darkfall is dead and the only way to save this is for it to go F2P. If they were to add a cosmetic only cash shop for funding I think it would take this game off life support. I know I know I hate cash shops too but what's better, a game with 5 people in it or a game nicely populated with a cash shop that only sells cosmetics. Don't even think about selling XP booster potions!!!! lol, cosmetics items only. Then use your money to fix the goofy walking and running animations and you just might save your game... 

I don't know, what do you guys think? There really isn't much else out there for a true open world PVP sandbox.

Comments

• ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210

I really want to try this again given all the improvements and ui stuff.  I would at least like a trial key or something.  Are there even any for this game?

Z.

• KardiamondKardiamond Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Originally posted by Gyva02

I've always leaned towards PVP games because I get board with predictable PVE AI so I've recently jumped back into DFUW with a one month non-recurring subscription. I figured $14 what the hell lets see how its doing with the new patches. It's more of a true sandbox now allowing anyone to wield what ever weapon and choose any skills they wish but the prowess system still irks me a little bit. I really wish skills advanced with use and not by spending prowess to up them, but all in all it really would be a cool PVP game if it had the population to support it.

I really think people are turned off by the character animations when they first jump in as they are horrible and your character walking and running around looks pretty goofy. The world is beautiful though, I was really impressed with it and the water graphics. The major thing lacking though is people, I roamed around yesterday for 5 to 6 hours straight, all over the map back and forth and didn't even see a single person. Once I got to some of the major towns I saw 1 or 2 people and I saw a max of 3 people other than myself and they were just standing AFK...

Looks like Darkfall is dead and the only way to save this is for it to go F2P. If they were to add a cosmetic only cash shop for funding I think it would take this game off life support. I know I know I hate cash shops too but what's better, a game with 5 people in it or a game nicely populated with a cash shop that only sells cosmetics. Don't even think about selling XP booster potions!!!! lol, cosmetics items only. Then use your money to fix the goofy walking and running animations and you just might save your game... 

I don't know, what do you guys think? There really isn't much else out there for a true open world PVP sandbox.

The clunkiness of the game is exactly what turned me off.

The Gameplay just wasn't fluid enough for me. I don't know if it got any better?

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

They have a cash shop already with Cosmetic things in them, you can also buy in game time with gold  like how EvE has Plex.

The reason DF is failing is because they scrapped their game after a huge development cycle just to start all over again and now a few years into this one they're finally getting closer to where the game was when it died the first time but the money is drying up and the rate of the content patches has slowed down to a trickle.

This coupled with the constant distraction of a reboot to the old 1.0 version of DF (which AV admits they were actually contemplating and until recently had some people working on it on the back burner) has really screwed DF.

It's sad because it was really a unique and great game.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    It is a gankers paradise.What  is happening  to this game is what happens to all games when gankers cant find victims and have to only fight other gankers. Depopulation that ends in  the game owners going out of business....till someone is stupid enough to not notice the history of such games.....and thinks their game play is a good idea.And the cycle continues.
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    It is a gankers paradise.What  is happening  to this game is what happens to all games when gankers cant find victims and have to only fight other gankers. Depopulation that ends in  the game owners going out of business....till someone is stupid enough to not notice the history of such games.....and thinks their game play is a good idea.And the cycle continues.

I disagree with that as Tera is growing and adding new pvp servers. When I jumped into that game the other day it was rocking with an awesome population. I was actually pretty blown away with how many people I saw in it...

"They have a cash shop already with Cosmetic things in them, you can also buy in game time with gold  like how EvE has Plex."

Well hell open up the F2P gates and let the masses decide if they want to spend money in your cash shop. Let the sub people keep their dying server so you don't piss off those 5 people and then open up the F2P server/s to see if your new patches are enough to keep people around buying from the cash shop. Use the initial spike of funds to hire help to fix the crap that needs fixing... That has to be better than watching it die a slow death...

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

More specifically, what happened to DF is the same thing that happens to MMOs where there isn't much to achieve or much worth fighting over.  Random ganking and castle sieging gets boring after a while.  Those things just don't create an environment appealing to most players or that offer a continual reason to keep logging in.  That isn't a virtual world, its counterstrike with fantasy creatures.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I honestly don't know what a F2P conversion would do.

How are they monetizing now?  Is it still box + sub?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321

Why are they so greedy that they don't release the client/engine to the public then?

Seems kinda lame to abandon something and fuck everybody over.

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

Originally posted by Dullahan

More specifically, what happened to DF is the same thing that happens to MMOs where there isn't much to achieve or much worth fighting over.  Random ganking and castle sieging gets boring after a while.

Also another reason I wish skills advanced with use and got harder and harder to advance as you went along making it take years to cap out. If you can just cap out skills with no further advancement by spending prowess you got from fishing, ya it's going to get boring pretty quick with no carrot to chase. They got a few things to iron out it looks like...  Or it dies...

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by ZombieKen

Ya they brought the box price way down I think I've heard people saying its $10-$15 on steam plus the usual $14.something a month sub... I bought it years ago at $39 I think...

Originally posted by greenreen

I don't think Tera can be compared to DF.

I don't think it has full loot, it has PVE other than grinding mobs, it even has servers where you can unflag for PVP.

Nothing like each other.

Yes, DF died because of its core mechanics just like someone told you. And it's the fate for every game like it that chooses to reward griefers. Even the griefers leave them once the victims are gone, they have no loyalty and griefing each other isn't fun. They only want to imagine people literally crying about what they've done. That makes them happy inside and fellow griefers don't carry farmed loot so they aren't worthwhile to kill. 

Here's your standard griefer. Go ahead and see why they can't exist around even their own kind. Angry, bitter souls to the core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeiePpLGXuE

Ya they are a little bit different in the looting. What most people don't understand though is in DFUW your gear isn't super duper important, your skills are and those can't be taken away. So just don't carry gold on you and bank your valuable finds as soon as you get them..

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Ya they brought the box price way down I think I've heard people saying its $10-$15 on steam plus the usual $14.something a month sub... I bought it years ago at $39 I think...

There's no box price, you just pay the subscription and you can play for the month.

Still most people have switched to Mortal Online because that game gets weekly updates...

Originally posted by Laughing-man

There's no box price, you just pay the subscription and you can play for the month.

Still most people have switched to Mortal Online because that game gets weekly updates...

Mortal Online? cool, I'll have to go check that out, Thanks :)

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Mortal Online? cool, I'll have to go check that out, Thanks :)

Don't be mislead.  As others have already mentioned, it's not the game ... it's the game play model.  In that regard, DFUW and MO are one and the same. 

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I would give it another go if it went F2P.  The clunkiness of the game combined with the pretty negative community is what turned me off. It seemed like the General channel consisted of nothingbut complaints about the game. There are also far too many MMOs out there (some excellent ones being B2P or F2P).  So if you (gaming company) are going to demand a sub then it has to be a game that stands head and shoulders above the latter.  For me, this wasn't the case.  But to each their own.
  • The only way to save the Darkfall feanchise is that they trash Unholy Wars and restore the first Darkfall and continue its development.
    But since the CEO of Aventurine refuse and definitively killed this possibility with a letter, the only hope is that a company with a smart and motivated developers buy the game from them and release it.

I don't see any future for this game, not with underpayed developers and the lacks of resources they have (admitted by the same developers on reddit).
    Every patch they do is just changing some table numbers and move spawn locations of mobs, and this easy task take months to deploy (the last relevant patch was released in january 2015 with no content but only xml table changes).

Om a side note, f2p will not save it either but will only aggravate the state of the game with a rampant surge of botters, hackers and triple account made just for farming resources afk.

Any compnay interested in buying the license of the great Darkfall Online? >_>

ps: as someone stated before, Mortal Online is in a better shape atm, the developer team starvault is the same at least, and even wit a small population they don't changed their original vision.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    The pvp aspect of the game what drives people away a lot people away, if it did go F2P just will not help there numbers as only drag in the carebears in the game and leave as soon something happen in pvp. But yes is it's a pvp game, but if they want numbers there not going get it with pvp only content or server.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    The subscription model was never the game's problem. They had plenty of players but unfortunately screwed the core game up and were too slow to fix things with practically no communication with their players so people continued leaving month after month. If they had actually taken feedback from the players and implemented fixes to basic things in a timely manner they could have kept a large portion of players but Aventurine once again let something with lots of potential to just go to shit due to incompetence.

• Originally posted by kaiser3282
    The subscription model was never the game's problem. They had plenty of players but unfortunately screwed the core game up and were too slow to fix things with practically no communication with their players so people continued leaving month after month. If they had actually taken feedback from the players and implemented fixes to basic things in a timely manner they could have kept a large portion of players but Aventurine once again let something with lots of potential to just go to shit due to incompetence.

100% agree with this, Aventurine kill the game not because is pvp focused but because of the reasons explained above.
    They also can't produce new content since they are only 7 devs left working on the game so the only thing they can so is altering some table values and move resources, assets and mobs around.

I still hope from the bottom of my heart that a new company take over the first Darkfall, the best pvp centric game ever created, unfortunately is only a dream that maybe will never come into reality.

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Agree

Another huge issue with Darkfall was the insane numbers of cheaters and exploiters and not to forget the never ending grind (especially at the beginning of DF1).

There are also accusations of Aventurine cooperating/giving favors to the worst cheaters/exploiters as the mercs.

http://i.imgur.com/J5dH1.png

http://i.imgur.com/DgNW1.png

To me Tasos and Aventurine was a bunch of corrupted developers that managed to bring their potentially successful game down by being incompetent. Seems reality catched up with developers and cheaters/exploiters and they got there well deserved reward, a dead game.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I miss Darkfall but I wont come back unless it goes FTP.

Why, because I cant afford $15/month - lol no.

This game needs a population to work - I'll come back if there is one.

I don't care if its 90% bots, that's 90% that are easy to kill.

Reduce safe zones back to inside the walls of starter cities only and make it ftp and I'd be back today.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440
    I freaking love darkfall and I freaking LOVED DFUW when it launched..  The game has gotten better with patches but the population never made it there.  When DFUW first launched it was awesome.  everywhere I went there was mad fights it was so hard to even kill mobs for feats the game was just madness and so much fun.  Over time less and less people played I still had a great time with player city's and dueling / defense but even then the numbers kept going down and down and eventually like 6-8 months after the launch of DFUW I joined those dwindling numbers but man I look back at DFUW with great memories...  I went back for a trial weekend since you could buy fuel(subsctiption for in-game money) and I had gold was like yolo why not, and the new changes are pretty neat other than the fact theres probably less diversity with the new system then there was with restricted roles as certain skills just to OP they in every build but still its pretty solid but man the pop is so bad its not worth your time as OP said you can wonder around and find nothing its just 2 low pop it needs F2p or a reset / restart expa kinda thing at least..
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    FTP?? Darkfall?? hahahaah nope please no... this game is definitely worth a sub. and there are so few games out there offering that.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA