Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EQNext Vaporware?

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited September 2015
    Wizardry said:
    Well All Access definitely throws a spin onto this,i don't think they would have spent much on finishing it no matter what.I fully expect the gimmick to make money will be same as H1Z1,they will sell early access.Then run that early access for a long time until they feel nobody else will buy it,then call it released.

What might not bother others that become embedded playing not caring but bothers me ,is after they do the early access release to basically sell an unfinished game,you will see VERY little go into it afterwards.
    They will probably push out a half arsed Alpha with Founders Pack similar to Landmark. Then once that dries up they will add alpha/beta to ALL ACCESS to get more people to subscribe to that. Then let it sit there for a couple years until no one cares anymore similar to Landmark.
    Landmark by far has been one of the best experiences I have had in my 17 years of MMOing. I got to pay to get into a beta I wanted. Gave feed back where devs listened and made changes on our feedback. Most of the cry babies left as SoE said they were looking for a core group that cared to make EQN a thing and thats what stayed. One of the best communities I have seen and they are not small. I have been part of many beta processes and never have I seen this level of care and consideration be given to the people taking part. I have had many conversations with the top Devs making EQN.

If EQN follows the same path, it will be awesome. The people that care will stay and help build EQN just like the Landmark fans have. In the end we will have a better game and the QQ people will not be around to break it because they wont want to pay the gate price to get in. As always, your getting it wrong! 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

And therein lies the problem. They don't make more money if they finish EQ:N because they have the ALL ACCESS PASS.

Unless they come up with a different way to monetize EQ:N and it's not part of that all access pass.
    What they will probably have is a range of different pricing possibilities (B2P, all access, all access plus etc.) each of which will give them different $$$ answers. You then take the lowest (most conservative) number and monitor against that.  And when the reward vs. investment calculation gets to zero their options reduce. They can opt to go with more optimistic assumptions; they can decide to accept a lower profit; see if they can cut costs somehow; pull the plug; offer a staff buy-out even. What I don't see happening is drifting along; developments drifing along is what resulted in Sony's $60M write-down.
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    It isn't vaporware but I do wonder now if it is in trouble of sinking before it ever sets sail.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    edited September 2015
    Daffid011 said:
    Valentina said:
    They started internal alpha testing yesterday, so no.

The Agency was also in internal alpha and that ended up as vaporware despite SOE saying the project was coming along fine.

All said and done there is nothing but verbal promises, which amount to very little. 

Also, they are just testing basic systems.  Starting cities are not even done yet, so not much of an alpha can be done.
    Sigh, you must of really been hyped for The Agency or something.

You don't seem to be able to differentiate between the two very different situations.

The Agency was a PC/Console project being created by a branch of the company with a totally different team, design, goal, yadda yadda. They closed down Seattle, Denver, Austin along with much if not all of the work each was focusing on. While if any of them had something of huge potential I'm assuming they would of transferred the teams/projects back to San Diego, but from what I can tell, The Agency in particular wasn't really anything special. Certainly wasn't tied to the Everquest franchise nor had the potential to push the company forward as a whole, not to say EQN will do that either.

I might be missing something, but I see little to no similarities between EQN and The Agency situation. Now if CN was to close down the EQN team or something more final, sure, but clearly not there.

Very correct that when it comes to actual EQN specifics, it is verbal minus whatever old content they've shown/talked about.

But the idea that they need to have starting cities completely as a representation of their non-vaporware status is silly. Cities are simply time, nothing magical about them. Pretty sure cities are one of the least look forward to aspects of any game. "Freeport was the best part of EQ!" said no one.

While I didn't follow The Agency as it looks pretty crappy honestly, I can't find much info on it announcing a bunch of details, having a playable basic version to the public, laying off a bunch of the team, using untested tech, cutting way back on communication for a time, but still staying a live.

I see a team/studio closed down and the projects attached to them in a much larger company wide cut back. The ownership change now is similar in that aspect, but after the dust settled, EQN and a team still remains...
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    And therein lies the problem. They don't make more money if they finish EQ:N because they have the ALL ACCESS PASS.

Unless they come up with a different way to monetize EQ:N and it's not part of that all access pass.
    The dreaded All-Access Pass.  That is a reality for the present.  It currently affects existing games.  I will not be surprised if Daybreak introduces significant changes to the 'All-Access Pass' in the near future, maybe even before the year-end.

In reality, the All-Access Pass wasn't very well thought out.  I think this program was introduced to lure returning players.  I don't know how well that worked.  For me, an active EQ1 player, it allowed be to try EQ2 for some time.  I took advantage of that, as I wanted to experience that game before its (and EQ1's) eventual death, long before CN entered the picture.

Ultimately, the All-Access Pass simply combines all their game revenue into one big pile.  I'm wondering how they distribute that income between their various products for the purposes of accounting.  Some accountant must have had nightmares over how to allocate that revenue -- does their allocation method take into account which games the player plays (by log-ins or time played), what in-game items are purchased from the store, or just divided into equal game categories.  If I had thought about it at the time, I might have considered investing in an antacid manufacturer.  Another fiscal opportunity missed.

Any EQ:N product that we see in the future will probably use another payment method.

Sorry for the thread-jack.  Now back to the usual mess...

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    edited September 2015
    Allein said:
    Sigh, you must of really been hyped for The Agency or something.

You don't seem to be able to differentiate between the two very different situations.

The Agency was a PC/Console project being created by a branch of the company with a totally different team, design, goal, yadda yadda. They closed down Seattle, Denver, Austin along with much if not all of the work each was focusing on. While if any of them had something of huge potential I'm assuming they would of transferred the teams/projects back to San Diego, but from what I can tell, The Agency in particular wasn't really anything special. Certainly wasn't tied to the Everquest franchise nor had the potential to push the company forward as a whole, not to say EQN will do that either.

I might be missing something, but I see little to no similarities between EQN and The Agency situation. Now if CN was to close down the EQN team or something more final, sure, but clearly not there.

Very correct that when it comes to actual EQN specifics, it is verbal minus whatever old content they've shown/talked about.

But the idea that they need to have starting cities completely as a representation of their non-vaporware status is silly. Cities are simply time, nothing magical about them. Pretty sure cities are one of the least look forward to aspects of any game. "Freeport was the best part of EQ!" said no one.

While I didn't follow The Agency as it looks pretty crappy honestly, I can't find much info on it announcing a bunch of details, having a playable basic version to the public, laying off a bunch of the team, using untested tech, cutting way back on communication for a time, but still staying a live.

I see a team/studio closed down and the projects attached to them in a much larger company wide cut back. The ownership change now is similar in that aspect, but after the dust settled, EQN and a team still remains...

The similarities you miss are the path that The Agency took to becoming vaporware and how EQN is mimicking some of those actions.
    The communications blackout, the leaders leaving the project, SOE reassuring the project was still being worked on and not vaporware.  All of which happened long before the studio was closed or the game cancelled.  Meanwhile the team was platooned out during that time to other higher priority projects which pretty much ended development of the game.   There are similarities there with EQN and they also cast a shadow of doubt on any claims they make now about a project being worked on.  Point being that The Agency was dead long before it was made official and well after SOE said it was still being worked on.
    As for your question, yes I thought The Agency was a good concept and looked forward to it, but you are right in that it ended up being nothing special.  SOE has a way of overselling and under delivering as can be seen in their efforts over the last decade or so.  Which speaks a good deal towards their capabilities more than shifting blame to players.
    As for starting cities, somewhere the point is lost.  It isn’t that they are desired areas by players, but they are essential areas for the game.  It is the first place a player logs into, the first quests, first exposure to mechanics, first training, tutorial, etc.  Everything begins there.  Even the playable races are there as NPCs and some of the playable races are not even done yet. If those are not done, then you can bet that everything beyond them isn’t either. 
    While no one may have said the starting zones were the best part of an MMO, there are more than enough people who have quit without getting past those areas to show just how important first impressions are. 
    I don’t think starting areas are little more than time as you put it or as if this is a resource that this team has a wealth of anymore.  Time seems like the one resource this project is rapidly running out of and the lack of just starting cities or even races shows how far behind this project really is
    Speaking of time, wasn’t this supposed to be “The Year of EQN!”…. Whatever that meant.   

Edit: paragraphs... 

Post edited by Daffid011 on
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Nanfoodle said:
    Wizardry said:
    Well All Access definitely throws a spin onto this,i don't think they would have spent much on finishing it no matter what.I fully expect the gimmick to make money will be same as H1Z1,they will sell early access.Then run that early access for a long time until they feel nobody else will buy it,then call it released.

What might not bother others that become embedded playing not caring but bothers me ,is after they do the early access release to basically sell an unfinished game,you will see VERY little go into it afterwards.
    They will probably push out a half arsed Alpha with Founders Pack similar to Landmark. Then once that dries up they will add alpha/beta to ALL ACCESS to get more people to subscribe to that. Then let it sit there for a couple years until no one cares anymore similar to Landmark.
    Landmark by far has been one of the best experiences I have had in my 17 years of MMOing. I got to pay to get into a beta I wanted. Gave feed back where devs listened and made changes on our feedback. Most of the cry babies left as SoE said they were looking for a core group that cared to make EQN a thing and thats what stayed. One of the best communities I have seen and they are not small. I have been part of many beta processes and never have I seen this level of care and consideration be given to the people taking part. I have had many conversations with the top Devs making EQN.

If EQN follows the same path, it will be awesome. The people that care will stay and help build EQN just like the Landmark fans have. In the end we will have a better game and the QQ people will not be around to break it because they wont want to pay the gate price to get in. As always, your getting it wrong! 
    Majority of gamers disagree with your opinion. Landmark is not a success. Just because you like it does not make me wrong.

You have no arguments at all while i presented evidence of problems all across the board. One just needs to go to the website to see how there is no news about EQ:N and just Fluff about Landmark and their Mobile game.

The Video had 5 Mintues of EQ:N info at the beginning which was someone saying: "We still work on it and we do internal test today" the rest of the 1 hour was Landmark

As always, you have no arguments, just an opinion!
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • BlaedusBlaedus Member UncommonPosts: 100
    edited September 2015
    Allein and Daffid011's discussion is interesting and entertaining.  That is all.
    Post edited by Blaedus on
    There was some debate earlier that EQN was a different game running seperate codebase and that Landmark was just building tools for EQN. 

13:20 to 15:20, with emphasis on the 15:00 mark.

Turns out that wasnt true.  This patch was delayed, because they just split the code base into 2 games now.  All development will be on EQN and maybe Landmark will get updates if it helps and can be ported over.

Good and bad news. 

The good is that EQN is finally a separate project.
    The bad is that Landmark really was EQN up to this point.
    Nanfoodle said:

If Landmark has been one of the best experiences you've had, you must not have played much in the last 17 years. I get it if you like the chance to "work" on a game and what not, but Landmark is supposed to be a game on it's own, not only a EQN builder platform. They left Landmark fans pretty high and dry at this point. Those that bought in expecting a full fledged game were misled after they decided to start pulling features and putting others on hold until they were ready in another game. Wasn't the original plan.

Hopefully EQN's development does not follow that path or it to will have 100 or whatever players...not going to stay up long.
    Daffid011 said:

The similarities you miss are the path that The Agency took to becoming vaporware and how EQN is mimicking some of those actions.The communications blackout, the leaders leaving the project, SOE reassuring the project was still being worked on and not vaporware.  All of which happened long before the studio was closed or the game cancelled.  Meanwhile the team was platooned out during that time to other higher priority projects which pretty much ended development of the game.   There are similarities there with EQN and they also cast a shadow of doubt on any claims they make now about a project being worked on.  Point being that The Agency was dead long before it was made official and well after SOE said it was still being worked on.As for your question, yes I thought The Agency was a good concept and looked forward to it, but you are right in that it ended up being nothing special.  SOE has a way of overselling and under delivering as can be seen in their efforts over the last decade or so.  Which speaks a good deal towards their capabilities more than shifting blame to players.As for starting cities, somewhere the point is lost.  It isn’t that they are desired areas by players, but they are essential areas for the game.  It is the first place a player logs into, the first quests, first exposure to mechanics, first training, tutorial, etc.  Everything begins there.  Even the playable races are there as NPCs and some of the playable races are not even done yet. If those are not done, then you can bet that everything beyond them isn’t either. While no one may have said the starting zones were the best part of an MMO, there are more than enough people who have quit without getting past those areas to show just how important first impressions are. I don’t think starting areas are little more than time as you put it or as if this is a resource that this team has a wealth of anymore.  Time seems like the one resource this project is rapidly running out of and the lack of just starting cities or even races shows how far behind this project really isSpeaking of time, wasn’t this supposed to be “The Year of EQN!”…. Whatever that meant.   
    As I didn't pay any attention to The Agency, don't know exacts so I'll take your word. Still doesn't seem like a carbon copy situation. Crap happens, nothing new.

EQN hasn't had a "communication blackout" but they have directed conversations on what they want/need fans to be in the know about. Not what they initially said would happen, but unlike some never to be seen products, they've haven't just turned off the radio for months/years.

"Leaders" didn't leave the project, they were let go, two of the three of which I have no idea what they even did. Those actually hands on in particular areas building the game are still there.

Take a look at the industry, all companies have issues and always have. There is no way to predict anything. 

Anything is possible, but saying something will go left or right is just a matter of opinion and nothing more.

Hopefully people have common sense and can look at things somewhat objectively, but in the end unless someone is investing heavily in stock or something, doesn't matter much.

If EQN did get canceled, anyone still paying attention would move on and find something else to complain about or hype up, business as usual.

Until that time, it is an open story.

Personally just wouldn't put myself up there to corrected down the road. Someone that calls EQN vapor or canceled could be proven wrong making their opinion exactly what it was, theirs and nothing more. I on the other hand take the wait and see approach. If it happens, it happens. I'm not trying to predict the future.

I agree on SOE not delivering since pretty much the launch of EQ and then again with SWG. Beyond that, been one rocky launch after another followed by one poor decision leading to fans leaving and games closing.

But it is an ever changing company like everything else. The folks behind EQN seem capable, but really aren't proven one way or the other. In that way, they are like an indie. Sadly doesn't seem to be a real creative leader at the helm, but I have no clue what the leads actually do so could be. But it is not the same team or even company beyond a technicality that was behind The Agency.

As far as the cities, I'm hoping they go with few to one for it to start. The cram as much crap into a space for people to burn through or use as a AH hub system needs to die.  Unfortunately, I'm assuming that they will probably end up cater to the masses and EQN will be much like everything else just with some fancy tech dropped on top.
    edited September 2015
    Don't think I said The Agency was a carbon copy, but just that it was similar in how EQN is panning out.  The point of that comparison was that the company previous said a game was still being worked on and nothing to worry about, when in fact it was already being downsized in favor of higher priority projects.  It casts doubts on any current claims of their commitment.  

Keep in mind I'm in the camp that doesn't think EQN is vaproware and will release something.  Though if someone asked me to convince them that EQN wasn't vaporware, I couldn't.  There is just too much information to suggest that it just might be.

Also, I agree with you about the number of starting cites.  Less is more, especially for the long run.

As for the blackout, think for a moment about what the developers have said/shown in the last year.  What can you honesstly say based only on that information?  The game is still being worked on, they are having trouble with many concepts and systems and there is a new race model. 

Compare that to 2-3 years ago when they were ramping up the hype and media train.  Could not shut up about the game.  What changed?
    edited September 2015
    Daffid011 said:
    Don't think I said The Agency was a carbon copy, but just that it was similar in how EQN is panning out.  The point of that comparison was that the company previous said a game was still being worked on and nothing to worry about, when in fact it was already being downsized in favor of higher priority projects.  It casts doubts on any current claims of their commitment.  

Keep in mind I'm in the camp that doesn't think EQN is vaproware and will release something.  Though if someone asked me to convince them that EQN wasn't vaporware, I couldn't.  There is just too much information to suggest that it just might be.

Also, I agree with you about the number of starting cites.  Less is more, especially for the long run.

As for the blackout, think for a moment about what the developers have said/shown in the last year.  What can you honesstly say based only on that information?  The game is still being worked on, they are having trouble with many concepts and systems and there is a new race model. 

Compare that to 2-3 years ago when they were ramping up the hype and media train.  Could not shut up about the game.  What changed?
    So from now on whenever Blizzard has something in the works it is best to assume it will get scrapped and turned into a FPS?

I get what you are saying, but to me it is apples to oranges. Both fruit, but not the same thing.

Just see no point in trying to convince/prove one way or another. People should use the things in their head to figure it out for themselves. Nothing that is said is likely to change that anyway.

2-3 years ago we were given exactly what you say, hype. Most of the big features were entirely conceptual. They have many components of a standard mmo in some form or another. Might need a ton of art/content/work, but they aren't some start up that can't figure out how to get a character to run straight or whatever. Problem I see is they were just getting going on the basics at the start, yet Dave sold it like it was all a sure thing, that smile....

To me, they not only have the task of making all the aspects of a traditional cookie cutter mmo which takes several years, but on top of that trying to work with Voxels and then some how creating and implementing "next-gen" AI.

That is a very tall order that I don't believe any other similar product has tried to attempt.

You have the personal baggage of The Agency shut down, I do not. However, I am still very skeptical that EQN will end up being worth my time or what they initially hyped. As of now, they have no proof that they can pull it off. But then again, they could, so as I said it is wait and see. I have zero reason to doubt them, it does nothing for me personally. It works or it doesn't, the product will speak for itself.

I'll keep answering the super important question though: "Is EQN Vaporware" - Yes, No, Maybe, Does it matter?
  • lobotarulobotaru Member UncommonPosts: 165
    It's hardly vapor ware, but they could sure use some good old PR work to help assure the masses things are going according to plan. 
    Allein said:
    So from now on whenever Blizzard has something in the works it is best to assume it will get scrapped and turned into a FPS?

I get what you are saying, but to me it is apples to oranges. Both fruit, but not the same thing.

Just see no point in trying to convince/prove one way or another. People should use the things in their head to figure it out for themselves. Nothing that is said is likely to change that anyway.

2-3 years ago we were given exactly what you say, hype. Most of the big features were entirely conceptual. They have many components of a standard mmo in some form or another. Might need a ton of art/content/work, but they aren't some start up that can't figure out how to get a character to run straight or whatever. Problem I see is they were just getting going on the basics at the start, yet Dave sold it like it was all a sure thing, that smile....

To me, they not only have the task of making all the aspects of a traditional cookie cutter mmo which takes several years, but on top of that trying to work with Voxels and then some how creating and implementing "next-gen" AI.

That is a very tall order that I don't believe any other similar product has tried to attempt.

You have the personal baggage of The Agency shut down, I do not. However, I am still very skeptical that EQN will end up being worth my time or what they initially hyped. As of now, they have no proof that they can pull it off. But then again, they could, so as I said it is wait and see. I have zero reason to doubt them, it does nothing for me personally. It works or it doesn't, the product will speak for itself.

I'll keep answering the super important question though: "Is EQN Vaporware" - Yes, No, Maybe, Does it matter?

because the way blizzard handled Titan and runs their company so closely mimics SOE that the expectations should be the same?  This is what I mean about trying to treat everything as if they are the same in order to dismiss the problems here.

I pointed out a valid reason to question claims by SOE about what is and isn't vaporware or whatever, then you try to compare that to Blizzard cancelling a project they were tight lipped about as if they are mirror images that lead to the same conclusion?

There may be more reason that SOE (doubt it was daves call) started hyping the game than people give credit for.  It isn't like they decided to scrap the previous designs and ran out on stage to demo their new ideas the same day.  It was probably in the works for a good while and they thought it was far enough along to start releasing information.  The fact that they are now back peddling and not talking about much of anything is one good reason threads like this exist.

Sorry, I thought I was over the cancellation of The Agency, but seems it still haunts me.   /sarcasm

As for why post here when it will not change anything.  I think that is just more dismissive talk, but I'll bite.  Perhaps people just enjoy talking about mmo topics, much like sports teams or whatever?  Applying your logic, no one should really post anything here, because it will not have any effect.
    Then again, Daybreak just specifically addressed the topic of this thread several times and as recently as this week in their EQN podcast.  So perhaps your assumption that discussions here have no effect just isn't true.  :)

Daffid011 said:

because the way blizzard handled Titan and runs their company so closely mimics SOE that the expectations should be the same?  This is what I mean about trying to treat everything as if they are the same in order to dismiss the problems here.

I pointed out a valid reason to question claims by SOE about what is and isn't vaporware or whatever, then you try to compare that to Blizzard cancelling a project they were tight lipped about as if they are mirror images that lead to the same conclusion?

There may be more reason that SOE (doubt it was daves call) started hyping the game than people give credit for.  It isn't like they decided to scrap the previous designs and ran out on stage to demo their new ideas the same day.  It was probably in the works for a good while and they thought it was far enough along to start releasing information.  The fact that they are now back peddling and not talking about much of anything is one good reason threads like this exist.

Sorry, I thought I was over the cancellation of The Agency, but seems it still haunts me.   /sarcasm

As for why post here when it will not change anything.  I think that is just more dismissive talk, but I'll bite.  Perhaps people just enjoy talking about mmo topics, much like sports teams or whatever?  Applying your logic, no one should really post anything here, because it will not have any effect.
    Then again, Daybreak just specifically addressed the topic of this thread several times and as recently as this week in their EQN podcast.  So perhaps your assumption that discussions here have no effect just isn't true.  :)

I'm not trying to kill the conversation, clearly I contribute despite knowing it is a huge waste of my time (I believe have been the most active poster on this forum sadly).

Just find it so silly when people try to sway others on the internet with baseless "facts," which are really just their opinions.

As I've said before, if it wasn't for the critics, this place would be all but dead long ago. The actual "updates" or positive posts get little to no response because they are boring, but say the sky is falling and people come out of the wood works to chime in. Humans are drama addicts.

You are right and I was being a smart ass about Blizzard, but just pointing out that "Vaporware" happens even at the top level. Doubt many saw Overwatch coming out of that. EQN still has a ways to go before I'd start calling it anything but "in development."

Blizzard has a good history of producing hits, but they aren't perfect and by the millions upon millions of fans that have left their games, clearly they aren't doing everything right.

SOE on the other hand has attempted a lot over the years, existing in the shadows of Blizzard and because of that probably has taken too many risks which hasn't paid off. They've tried to branch out and have had some decent success with non-mmorpg's that I don't believe people give much credit for.

Sure The Agency was canceled, but then they've had DCUO, H1Z1, PS2, Landmark. Are any of them massive hits? Not so much, but it isn't like they've canceled one project after another while in development.

Too lazy to check, but if they've only canceled one game over the last 16 years or so, I don't see that as a pattern. More likely pattern is they'll end up closing current games that aren't turning a profit which is something else.

You are picking one game out of a long list and going "see they did it once, they can do it again." Of course that is true, but it is just as accurate to go "They've released X number of games so it is likely EQN will release as well." 

All just a matter of personal perspective, none of which has any real impact on what will happen.

Going back to Blizzard, I do see a similarity there. Blizzard canceled one project but it surely isn't their pattern. No reason to assume anything upcoming will follow Titan. SOE/DB might not be a hugely successful company, but more times than not they seem to get a product out the door one way or another.
    edited September 2015
    I'm not saying that one vaporware means they will do it again.  People are saying the developers verbal claims of the game still being developed are indisputable truths, which as their history has shown isn't true.

while SOE doesn't have a history of repeated vaporware projects, they certainly have a steady history of poor releases, abandonment and shutting down games..
    Post edited by Daffid011 on
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Some of the best games ive played came from SOE EQ, Planetside 2...and Age of Empires 2 was a much better game than Warcraft 2 and 3. Blizzard made one good game and that was diablo 2. Magic: The Gathering is a much better game than Hearthstone. You guys are seriously up Blizzard's ass and thats whats making you all so critical with EQNext and Landmark...You want something that can beat WoW. I don't care, EQ and EQ2 was a good game and they will make a good game out of EQNext. Despite what the "experts" at mmorpg forums think. And Landmark is a decent game thats a quarter of its release and lacking the "addiction" element that makes mmos addicting. Yes its not fun but thats what SOE does it like.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Some of the best games ive played came from SOE EQ, Planetside 2...and Age of Empires 2 was a much better game than Warcraft 2 and 3. Blizzard made one good game and that was diablo 2. Magic: The Gathering is a much better game than Hearthstone. You guys are seriously up Blizzard's ass and thats whats making you all so critical with EQNext and Landmark...You want something that can beat WoW. I don't care, EQ and EQ2 was a good game and they will make a good game out of EQNext. Despite what the "experts" at mmorpg forums think. And Landmark is a decent game thats a quarter of its release and lacking the "addiction" element that makes mmos addicting. Yes its not fun but thats what SOE does it like.
    A couple of things there youngster:
    • There has been no SOE since February, it is Daybreak Games and is owned by Nova Columbus.
    • Lots of us that are critical of EQ Not! don't play Blizzard games, I for instance have played EQ and EQ2 for the main part with a two year break playing Rift.
    • EQ and EQ2 were good games, but a former Blizzard employee and then Dave Georgeson got to them, now they are still better than most but much worse than they have been.
    sorry im gonna spam so i can get posting thread privileges. Heres a video: 

Old videos are old. Nothing new for over a year.

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Landmark is a success in that they actually got people to pay for and develop their game lol.....Basically EQN is probably going to end up a glorified Minecraft at best.
    Landmark is a success in that they actually got people to pay for and develop their game lol.....Basically EQN is probably going to end up a glorified Minecraft at best.
    Landmark is far from a success. Sure a couple of hardcore people still play it but most people don't really care. It still has major issues and bugs that have not been fixed since the first Alpha.

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

edited September 2015
    Daffid011 said:
    while SOE doesn't have a history of repeated vaporware projects, they certainly have a steady history of poor releases, abandonment and shutting down games..
    This I agree with. They've never really nailed the total package of quality release, development/support, longevity. One piece is always missing leading to fans leaving and games suffering. Be it poor optimization at launch or major game changes down the line both resulting in fans not having a good time.

While I still believe each project has the chance to stand on its own, history does tend to repeat itself. That said, the current company has been doing okay with the current library and the EQN team does seem to at least have decent ideas and has some ability to put at least the basics together.

What will matter is if they have the talent/support to see the ideas through and get them out the door in a reasonable time in a way that will get fans to stick around and throw money at them.
This discussion has been closed.