Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game won't start

SmashixSmashix Member UncommonPosts: 91

After my previous thread about graphics, I now have the game looking like I want and now it won't start again.

When I start the game, the launcher comes up, The Happy Cloud initiates, then the launcher vanishes and the game doesn't start.

<sigh>

Comments

• SmashixSmashix Member UncommonPosts: 91

I'm going to go do something else and see if I get some patience to debug this tomorrow. I found some Happy Client log files that appear to be looking in the wrong place and I found this error recurring:

Thread[  2764] ERROR: NamedPipeClient::NamedPipeClient WaitNamedPipe failed with error: code: 2 string: The system cannot find the file specified.

I can't find this error in relation to LOTRO when Googling.

If I develop some patience tomorrow, I'll see if I can make it work.

Or maybe I'll just install a game that just works instead.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi
    uninstall happy cloud,

Will the game run without it?

Originally posted by Smashix
    uninstall happy cloud,

Will the game run without it?

Apparently not. <grumble>

Originally posted by Torval

I told you in the other thread not to install the Happy Cloud version. For one, it's the low rez download and will require you to go into the settings and enable hi-rez which will be another couple of gigs to download.

Install the hi-rez launcher from the website or install the game through Steam and then enable hi-rez.

I'm beginning to think that I've already spent way more time than this game is worth...

F it, I'm just going to play something that just installs and runs.

SWTOR is another game I'm trying and I just launched it and it's taking forever to start and showing "reorganizing data". The solution is apparently another full download that doesn't use bitraider.

This sounds a lot like your solution of downloading LOTRO again using an install without Happy Cloud.

For both of these games: why on earth is the default download for new users from the game site the version that sucks? Now SWTOR will be yet another game I uninstall and say "Forget it". I won't feel bad because in both cases, the solution is well known, yet the companies running these games continue to force the sucky broken version of their games on new users.

I'd rather not waste my time on companies and games that treat their customers or potential customers like this.

did you try runniung the games as administrator ?

I did and it made no difference.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,256

I've had Happy Cloud before because I remember thinking "wtf is this" but I had no trouble downloading the game. This was many moons ago so who knows what's changed since then.

I'd still say LOTRO is worth the hassle if you enjoy Lore.

Originally posted by angerbeaver

I've had Happy Cloud before because I remember thinking "wtf is this" but I had no trouble downloading the game. This was many moons ago so who knows what's changed since then.

I'd still say LOTRO is worth the hassle if you enjoy Lore.

First off: I love your forum handle!

As I posted in the SWTOR forum:

I'm too busy ragequitting these games (before I even started playing) and posting angry forum messages right now! ;-)

Maybe I will try again some other day, but right now I'm too pissed off. I tried downloading and running 3 games in the past couple of days and none of them will run! I guess it's just one of those weeks...

But my OP is still appropriate. If there are known issues (for years) with these installers, why are they the default installers?

I've had a stressful couple of weeks at work lately and I have been bored with the games I have been playing. All I wanted was to get a new game and kill some monsters.

Normally that goes like this:

1. Go to game site
    2. Create an account
    3. Download game
    4. ~Half an hour or so later: I am around a fantasy world killing monsters! :-)
    This week I tried 3 games (YES THREE! -- the 3rd was DDO, also with @^&;$#! Happy Cloud).

I haven't made it to step 4 yet.

Instead I have spent 2 days and absurd hours Googling stupid launcher errors and finding out that the default installer for all 3 of these games have longstanding issues that the companies making the games haven't bothered to address.

So that's why I'm a little frustrated right now!

Anyway, that's been my week. ;-)
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Normally that goes like this:

1. Go to game site
    2. Create an account
    3. Download game
    4. ~Half an hour or so later: I am around a fantasy world killing monsters! :-)
    This week I tried 3 games (YES THREE! -- the 3rd was DDO, also with @^&;$#! Happy Cloud).

I haven't made it to step 4 yet.

Lately, with clients getting bigger and bigger, point 4 has an even smaller chance every year :)

LotRO's (and also DDO's) client has a friendly size of about 20 Gb (friendly, compared to GTA's 65 Gb, or even TOR's 30 Gb image), your mistake was, as Torval mentioned above, is sitting onto the Happy Cloud...

But my OP is still appropriate. If there are known issues (for years) with these installers, why are they the default installers?

It wasn't your fault obviously, and it was said numerous times to Turbine by the players too (that HappyCloud is worthless and does more harm than good). it's not the default installer, just the top one on the page... When you see the button "Play Instantly" on the top, it seems a more obvious pick than the "Download" button below. It's a trap, sadly... Turbine wanted to offer a choice what a few other games (for example Rift) have, but since the client is not built that way, they went with this half-a**ed HappyCloud solution.

If you have some time on the weekend, give it an another go, just this time with the client download :)

Ok, so I finally got the game running, using this download: http://reiter-von-rohan.com/hdro-ohne-pando-download.html and then updating for hours.

This morning I was able to play for a couple of hours and I now know that the time spent was wasted, but at least now I know.

Yes, the graphics look pretty nice, but it's not fun. It may get better, but after 2 hours, I am calling it. The game is soooooo bland, it's like many other MMOs I've played, but with all the fun meticulously removed.

Meh

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Judging from what you do with information handed to you, and your response to failures. My advise to you would be is to try a different genre, and stay away from MMORPG. Maybe you will like League of Legends, or Smite? Good luck!
    Originally posted by Mightyking
    Judging from what you do with information handed to you, and your response to failures. My advise to you would be is to try a different genre, and stay away from MMORPG. Maybe you will like League of Legends, or Smite? Good luck!

Hmmmm.

I tried 3 different games and ran into issues. I posted explanations of what I was doing and the issues I was running into.

My response to failure was following advice I received here, I stuck with it and was finally able to get a game going by following the advice I got here.

Then I played the game and didn't like it. Perhaps you disagree, but in the end, it's a subjective and personal decision which game any of us like and decide to play.

Whereas your first post in this thread is an ad-hominem attack. Back to your hole, troll!

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235

You seemed impatient and angry over failure, despite good advise being given. And being able to judge Lotro or any MMO in two hours is very fast. Most MMO's open up after a few days worth of playing time.

If angry and impatient does not apply to you, and my advise for a game was unjustified, then consider that which I accuse you of to apply to me. Sorry if you felt otherwise.

Originally posted by Mightyking

You seemed impatient and angry over failure, despite good advise being given. And being able to judge Lotro or any MMO in two hours is very fast. Most MMO's open up after a few days worth of playing time.

If angry and impatient does not apply to you, and my advise for a game was unjustified, then consider that which I accuse you of to apply to me. Sorry if you felt otherwise.

OK, so that's a more reasonable post without any personal attack, I wish you had started that way.

Yes, I was frustrated and angry and I thought I explained why pretty well. Despite that, I took the advice given here and got the game going based on said advice.

2 hours isn't enough time to form an overall opinion of the game, know how a class plays in the long run, etc.

However, it's enough time to determine if I want to keep playing it. I was bored out of my skull during those 2 hours. I kept going in the hope that I would encounter something to rouse my interest, but nothing did.

By the time I had played many other MMOs for 2 hours, I either knew I wanted more or at least found something redeeming that made me stick around. After 2 hours of LOTRO, I wanted less.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    I think this is one of the best PVE games around. It's worth giving it a shot.

• MorrowbreezeMorrowbreeze Member CommonPosts: 141

Yup, this particular game aint for everyone. To get the most out of it one would have to have a nascient interest in all things Tolkien and his trilogy. Scenes ,quests, and npcs generally adhere well to the books making for great nostalgia.

As for the meh factor, which is combat, I admit the game has been nerfed almost to its ruin. Werent like that at the beginning. The old forest, for example made for some serious sweaty gameplay at one time. The best and closest region ingame to the original release is Angmar. Still hard as heck! the Rift is arguably one of THE best instances in all MMO dom.

LOTRO has broken new MMO gaming ground with its ftp model, horse combat,music system and a few other areas. It still is tons O fun if one can get into it.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I usually can't stand any game loading crap like Pando or in case Happy Cloud.However i realize it does serve a positive purpose,it tries to load a faster version to get you started without loading the entire client.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.