Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 year old game.....

Comments

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Yes the game is old 2 or 3 years now it is been out oversea but still it looks fun at least for me anyways. The only thing is i hope no one is dumb enough to pay for a alpha or beta access if they do ask for one for access to it once it starts getting ready for western release. That would be the most dumb thing to do and it will only show how so much whales there is here. 

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

This is a puzzling game to me, not only are people excited about playing a 3 year old mmo....but it is a 3 year old asian themepark mmo. How different from all the others could it possibly be?

Prepare yourself for $100 alpha/beta access with a cash shop. Enjoy.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    Originally posted by time007

wasn't this game released like 1-2, or even 3 years ago in Korea?  Was just wondering when it was actually released.  As we, American players might be viewing this as a "new" game, but it might be a bit dated? let me know your thoughts ppl.

EDIT: Ok I read in an article, this game is from 3 years ago. Great, we can play a game from 2012......

everyone knows the game is old in Korea already. That doesnt mean we westerners have to reject it if it comes here. WoW is 10 years old and still the most played mmorpg in the west. A 3 year old mmo coming fresh to US/EU is OK if the game is good. I played the Russian version and although IMO its not worth a sub, its definitely worth playing at least for some time.

Don't be fooled by this site and its hate for Eastern mmo's. Their are more people playing these game and they don't post on this site. I know a lot of mmo players that are getting sick of the games made here. The game companies here are losing because they are trying to cater to everyone and making a mess of whatever game they are pushing. Eastern mmo's are becoming popular because of the mistakes U.S. game companies keep making over and over. And believe it or not most people don't want to pay a sub.anymore. People here can debate it all they want but its true. U.S. game companies know this to. So they offer f2p options with restrictions and they really thought that would work. I think the Eastern market is going to take over this genre soon.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Originally posted by Hariken

wasn't this game released like 1-2, or even 3 years ago in Korea?  Was just wondering when it was actually released.  As we, American players might be viewing this as a "new" game, but it might be a bit dated? let me know your thoughts ppl.

EDIT: Ok I read in an article, this game is from 3 years ago. Great, we can play a game from 2012......

everyone knows the game is old in Korea already. That doesnt mean we westerners have to reject it if it comes here. WoW is 10 years old and still the most played mmorpg in the west. A 3 year old mmo coming fresh to US/EU is OK if the game is good. I played the Russian version and although IMO its not worth a sub, its definitely worth playing at least for some time.

Don't be fooled by this site and its hate for Eastern mmo's. Their are more people playing these game and they don't post on this site. I know a lot of mmo players that are getting sick of the games made here. The game companies here are losing because they are trying to cater to everyone and making a mess of whatever game they are pushing. Eastern mmo's are becoming popular because of the mistakes U.S. game companies keep making over and over. And believe it or not most people don't want to pay a sub.anymore. People here can debate it all they want but its true. U.S. game companies know this to. So they offer f2p options with restrictions and they really thought that would work. I think the Eastern market is going to take over this genre soon.

Oh, I think there are plenty of people on this site who love Eastern mmo's. It's just a mix and that's how it should be.

No reason why everyone should be enamored of the same things.

In any case, there are a lot of eastern mmo lovers (myself included) on this site. And while I don't love everything about them (such as the rampant use of anachronistic props/items) I might go as far as to say I prefer eastern mmo's.

Well, until a Western company gives me what I thought mmo's were supposed to be. "A world".

Still crossing my fingers on that one.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I have been saying this for a while now. People who like western mmos don't have anything worth playing now or coming so they downplay games coming from the east. It actually quite amusing.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    I don't even understand the reasons for the thread.  So it's not new.  Big deal.  Is it fun?

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Arglebargle
    I don't even understand the reasons for the thread.  So it's not new.  Big deal.  Is it fun?

You hit the nail on the head when you said " Is it fun? "

This is the only thing that matters in games and its the only thing that will ever matter. Nobody cares about sandbox, innovation or if it does something new. Just look at Final Fantasy XIV to see a traditional mmo that has found more success then anything we have gotten since World Of Warcraft.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I would be more concerned with the philosophy in which they built the game rather than the year it was released. It doesnt matter how 'new' it is if its just another asian grinder and it doent matter how old it is if its a solid product and a solid product is completely subjective to the buyer, so it shouldnt matter what other people think because theres no good and bad there, its just personal reference. 
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Originally posted by Mikeha
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

You hit the nail on the head when you said " Is it fun? "

This is the only thing that matters in games and its the only thing that will ever matter. Nobody cares about sandbox, innovation or if it does something new. Just look at Final Fantasy XIV to see a traditional mmo that has found more success then anything we have gotten since World Of Warcraft.

Yeah.  While it can't be fully quantified, it is the basic question.   Fun isn't the same for every person, of course.    And while innovation strives for the novel, new experience (in hopes that it will be fun), there's really no law that says the familiar is dull.

Because otherwise, you'd watch one horror movie and then quit.   Done there, been that.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Graphics still look good do to art style and being a few years old means most will be able to run it no problem. Looking forward to trying it myself as i love fighting games and rpg's. Sure won't be for everybody but think it will do decently with the more "gamer" types.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

Game still looks better than some games released last year and hell that's 3 years of content ready to be streamed to us :)

I don't really see it as a negative, a lot of people thought BnS wasn't even coming to NA.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

No one's forcing you to. :P

And I think just about everyone already knows how "old" the game is.

Well when I played Aion, lots of people thought it was an American game.  And lots of people thought it sucked, and I had to tell them, this is like the number 1 Asian MMO (at the time) hehe.  So you'd be surprised, but there will be lots of people seeing this game, and be like "wow this is another crummy old looking Asian MMO", or may think its another NCSoft American old looking game etc. 

Too bad we couldn't get this game 3 years ago......same goes for Archeage.....

But I guess, the popular Asian MMO's might not have the funding or popularity stateside to safely get it released here so they wait until its established after years in Asia.   I suppose that will be the trend for any 2015 Asian released MMO's that we will get them in 2018.

yeah.. aion did not look asian at all..

*turns sarcasm off*

what idiot thought aion was american.. most retarded people ever.

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • RedAlert539RedAlert539 Member UncommonPosts: 115

Still trying to figure out why this is a bad thing. Other than the fact that you might be biased against it.....

• BanyoHDBanyoHD Member UncommonPosts: 32

It doesn't matter very much if the game is older as long as it has aged well. We need more MMORPGs who do action combat well except TERA and Neverwinter. Me personally I like more of a hybrid like the system in GW2 but each to their own. I also read somewhere that they're trying to get an E-Sports thing going for Blade and Soul as well. If the action combat and the content is good enough I will give it a try. Granted it's late but at least it's on its way. Many asian MMO companies fear taking their game to the west because asian and western gamers have a very different taste. Something you have to take into consideration. Maybe the hype has died down a lot, but that doesn't mean that the game won't be good. 

• CulubuCulubu Member UncommonPosts: 49

It's because feminism isn't in rampant over there.

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    Originally posted by RedAlert539

Still trying to figure out why this is a bad thing. Other than the fact that you might be biased against it.....

you are trying to figure out why a game from 2012 could be a bad thing vs that same game being from 2015? umm visuals & graphics man.  if graphics and visuals weren't important, we would all still be playing muds, UO, DAOC, and EQ...(ok great I get some of you might still play those games, but this game's graphics and visuals are not groundbreaking, but I guess you could have argued that 3 years ago, but not now!)  Enough with the pedantics, yes a game can be fun if its 3 years, 5 years, 8 years old etc. 

BUT the point is, many American gamers wont want to play a game with dated visuals.  Many American gamers like up to date visuals, then over the course of 3 years or 5 years grow attached to the game as its graphics get surpassed by new games.  Well, right off the bat this game is already behind is the point im trying to make. 

We can argue up and down, but fact:  this game is already 3 years old and its just being released in the U.S.   we can debate all day about how many people care or worry about that and to what extent, but it will be a big impact on its success in the U.S.  If you argue that visuals and graphics don't make a big impact on an MMO's success in the U.S. market, well now you are just playing devil's advocate.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

you are trying to figure out why a game from 2012 could be a bad thing vs that same game being from 2015? umm visuals & graphics man.  if graphics and visuals weren't important, we would all still be playing muds, UO, DAOC, and EQ...(ok great I get some of you might still play those games, but this game's graphics and visuals are not groundbreaking, but I guess you could have argued that 3 years ago, but not now!)  Enough with the pedantics, yes a game can be fun if its 3 years, 5 years, 8 years old etc. 

BUT the point is, many American gamers wont want to play a game with dated visuals.  Many American gamers like up to date visuals, then over the course of 3 years or 5 years grow attached to the game as its graphics get surpassed by new games.  Well, right off the bat this game is already behind is the point im trying to make. 

We can argue up and down, but fact:  this game is already 3 years old and its just being released in the U.S.   we can debate all day about how many people care or worry about that and to what extent, but it will be a big impact on its success in the U.S.  If you argue that visuals and graphics don't make a big impact on an MMO's success in the U.S. market, well now you are just playing devil's advocate.

I'm curious ... do you have an actual point to make?

You don't want to play a 3 year old game. Gotcha. Don't.

You stay sassy!

• DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Tell me again how this game has "bad" visuals and "outdated" graphics? Look at every other MMO out there and look at this one. Released MMOs only you will find very few if any that top it.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

This is the #1 reason why I am glad Microsoft came out with the X-Box.  Before that happened, pretty much all games were try in the east, see how it goes, bring what we think will do best there after a couple of years pass.  Without competition from domestic markets, you end up getting the sloppy seconds all the time. 

They simply had no reason to get it out sooner...

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

For a 3 year old game, it's funny how B&S still strikes me as the best looking MMO on the market. So does that mean current MMO graphics are just that bad? Hardly. It's personal preference. B&S is certainly a different style of art for one thing. Tera and Aion are the only comparable major American releases with that art style, and B&S is definitely a step above them. If people don't like the art style of current gen MMOs, than something 10 years old can still look better. Putting a date on graphics means absolutely nothing.

I just look at it as an extended 3-year development period. We get to skip the years of an MMO being buggy and unfinished. I played the Chinese version recently and loved it despite poor translation, so I'm looking forward to it as are many others.

• breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374

Does not realy matter from witch year the game is.

Moost of the games out here are using the Unreal 3 engine (2009)

B&S uses the UR3 engine, so does Tera,  and Lineage2 (2.5 engine)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy
    Should be better right? 3 years to produce more content and all that. We EU players will be viewing this as a more fleshed out game rather than an old 'game'.

Well, we surely will miss many of the buggs but the graphics will be a few years old.

It is far too long time though, half would have been acceptable.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by DarkHigh
    Tell me again how this game has "bad" visuals and "outdated" graphics? Look at every other MMO out there and look at this one. Released MMOs only you will find very few if any that top it.

Thanks for the video!  Great character art.

Kind of hard to tell environment in a desert scene.  Those are easy to make.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

7 million WoW players wave hello to you.

BTW, it is my honor to meet you, the spokesperson for "many Americans."

Originally posted by Sovrath

Oh, I think there are plenty of people on this site who love Eastern mmo's. It's just a mix and that's how it should be.

No reason why everyone should be enamored of the same things.

In any case, there are a lot of eastern mmo lovers (myself included) on this site. And while I don't love everything about them (such as the rampant use of anachronistic props/items) I might go as far as to say I prefer eastern mmo's.

Well, until a Western company gives me what I thought mmo's were supposed to be. "A world".

Still crossing my fingers on that one.

I'm with you.  It is obvious that a vast majority of gamers love Eastern MMOs by the popularity of many Eastern MMOs in the West.  As is usually the case, however, we only hear the criticisms of the vocal unsatisfied minority who hate eastern MMOs.  The satisfied masses are usually content and therefore feel no need to whine and criticize.

• CulubuCulubu Member UncommonPosts: 49
    It's sad that there hasn't been a better mmo during these 3 years (personal opinion). So I'm back to wait for this one again.