Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally, Older Gamers Can Rejoice!!!! Everquest Fans Going To Love This One :)

Comments

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Gyva02

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen!

Call me back when it's released, I'm not paying for a half finished product.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by PascalC
    Originally posted by svann The failure of vanguard was because it ran out of money and had to release when it wasnt ready. Convince me that isnt going to happen here.
    Hi everyone. VG even with a lot of bugs was million times better than a lot of actual mmos.  But we have for the moment no informations about actual state of the game.

completely disagree and i was a VG fan from the moment it was announced. kind of hard to play a game that is unplayable for most people. VG to this day is the worst launch of a AAA mmo i have ever seen.

simply having features does not make a game like so many here claim. a lot of games sound great in theory but can the devs deliver a decent product that's actually playable?

ever wonder why a game as great as VG utterly failed? yes, this patheon game absolutely cannot repeat what VG did with their launch or it will fail even harder than VG did.

VG had a huge following when it was in development, much bigger than this title.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

The youtube video shows very little, some panning around a decent landscape. It didn't show any fighting, any interaction at all, let alone 100 or 1,000 players on the screen at once.

I loved Vanguard; I waited a few years, and then loaded it onto an SSD. It played great and was a lot of fun! So I'll watch out for this one.

Once it has actually released, and has been around a year or two, is when I might play it.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I really like the focus in a lot of areas,like i mean a LOT but i'll believe when i see it.

I like the combat structure but i am weary when they say LESS abilities.Yes i want slower combat with action and reaction,that is what makes good combat and allows players to think a little.I also want to see player>player actions not always solo actions like i see in every game.

I also like that questing is not the xp avenue,that idea never made any sense at all anyhow.

One thing i know is that i don't want to mimic EQ1 imo FFXI did that design far better in every single fashion.It is not that i didn't like EQ1 at all,i just felt it was never good enough.As for DAOC,i lasted all but 1 day and quit,didn't like what i saw.

Even still i can look past a lot of small nuances that rub me the wrong way if combat/mobs/grouping is well thought out with ideas that make sense.I have said this a hundred times before,i NEVER want to see any nonsense with matrix rolls and automated AOE healing,i want healing to be targeted by a player who wants to heal.

I am still waiting and doubt i will ever see a game mimic FFXI's magic bursts and elemental property ideas,imo ALL games should have at the very minimum that kind of depth,instead every game comes out with no depth.

Ok now i'm hungry,time for pizza and wings  :P.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

No, just super excited for a EQ'ish MMO to hit the streets with todays graphics. It's way over due.

This was in general but its cool, it'll work here too :)

I might end up in this game because seriously i cannot handle another linear questing game with SPAM combat and even worse,combat that looks silly.Example archers shooting arrows like a machine gun or Mage's throwing Firebolts again like a machine gun,best summed up as SPAM combat.

One word scares me though>>>>DODGE,i hope that doesn't mean matrix rolls.I grew up enjoying for many years the game that invented dodging "ut99" great pvp game,with great maps and great weapon choices.Best pvp game hands down,likely never to be topped.

I like some of Brad's visions for game designs,not all of them ,but i likely could enjoy a game of his again,i did enjoy Vanguard even when others scoffed.I am just afraid that he will try and peddle that aged old buggy Everquest platform,it has NEVER worked,always lags bad and always bugged.I feel VG was a brilliant game but the overall gamer base and media did not take kindly to the bugs it had,so i hope he has learned from that.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I really like the focus in a lot of areas,like i mean a LOT but i'll believe when i see it.

I like the combat structure but i am weary when they say LESS abilities.Yes i want slower combat with action and reaction,that is what makes good combat and allows players to think a little.I also want to see player>player actions not always solo actions like i see in every game.

I also like that questing is not the xp avenue,that idea never made any sense at all anyhow.

One thing i know is that i don't want to mimic EQ1 imo FFXI did that design far better in every single fashion.It is not that i didn't like EQ1 at all,i just felt it was never good enough.As for DAOC,i lasted all but 1 day and quit,didn't like what i saw.

Even still i can look past a lot of small nuances that rub me the wrong way if combat/mobs/grouping is well thought out with ideas that make sense.I have said this a hundred times before,i NEVER want to see any nonsense with matrix rolls and automated AOE healing,i want healing to be targeted by a player who wants to heal.

I am still waiting and doubt i will ever see a game mimic FFXI's magic bursts and elemental property ideas,imo ALL games should have at the very minimum that kind of depth,instead every game comes out with no depth.

Wait, you mean you want something that would actually require players to work together rather than just go through their rotation/priority queue while moving out of aoes?  The absurdity!

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Love what they say, definitely hope. The character graphics/animation... I don't know, needs work, hopefully will improve a lot. Hope to hear more about the classes and races. Details.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    Originally posted by PascalC
    Originally posted by svann

The failure of vanguard was because it ran out of money and had to release when it wasnt ready.

Convince me that isnt going to happen here.

Hi everyone. VG even with a lot of bugs was million times better than a lot of actual mmos.  But we have for the moment no informations about actual state of the game.

The actual state of the game is in development.  The team is small and they are still designing and developing the early game and intend to take a few of their classes and create a demo showing off lower level zones and gameplay.  Right now they are aiming to have alpha around Q3/Q4 of this year and hopefully alpha 2 for players to test by the end of 2015.

Oh good, I was just wondering about this.  When the kickstarter fell through I donated to the game on their website so I should be in.

I haven't been following all of the email updates I get because quite frankly when it comes to mmos I would rather experience the lore and be surprised by everything rather than knowing everything before I even get a chance to log in you know?

Exciting news for those of us who contributed, let's see how this shakes out!

Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Wait, you mean you want something that would actually require players to work together rather than just go through their rotation/priority queue while moving out of aoes?  The absurdity!

Lulz, this.  Don't know why that never became a thing again.  I mean, it's not like it's super hard to pull off, and it would make combat a lot more interesting.  It can easily work inside of any kind of combat system, so I dunno.  Always thought that was an awesome concept.

• lobotarulobotaru Member UncommonPosts: 165

In the case of FFXI, I think I heard from FFXIV:ARR's new producer, Yoshida, that they felt the combat they were going for was too fast paced to fit magic burst into it. I think that was more of an excuse than anything else, since the only problem is with coordinating the attacks. They could have used a more limited version of the elemental burst system that can be started up with a limit break where players follow through with various special moves. Yoshida seems to want to erase all existence of the elemental wheel and with it any depth of strategy that could have been gleaned from it.

Anyway, have they mentioned anything about how group combat will be compelling or different than what we currently have? It'd be nice to have a set of roles where people cover each other's backsides instead of one guy spamming heals, another guy acting as punching bag, and the rest play whack-a-mole.

Originally posted by lobotaru
    In the case of FFXI, I think I heard from FFXIV:ARR's new producer, Yoshida that they felt the combat they were going for was too fast paced to fit that kind of magic burst combat into it. I think that was more of an excuse than anything else, since the only problem is with coordinating the attacks. They could have used a more limited version of the elemental burst system that can be started up with a limit break where players follow through with various special moves. Yoshida seems to want to erase all existence of the elemental wheel and with it any depth of strategy that could have been gleaned from it.

Heh, Using fire spells on the Lord of Inferno always made me giggle.

Edit:  I really don't understand why they couldn't just give mages more spells.  I mean, you have a near-endless amount of cross-hotbars you can set up so it wouldn't be that big of an inconvenience to the player to set up one for different situations.  Then again the decision to make elements irrelevant were probably driven by developer convenience, not player.  I really don't think anyone would complain about such a magic system, but it would have required more time/effort from SE.

• Kiori001Kiori001 Member UncommonPosts: 18

If the gaming winds up being anything like Vanguard then I will be very happy.  Lol with the exception of the start of VG,  where my first memory was seeing a tower,  getting to the top and lagging off it and winding up on the ground dead.  VG had its issue's,  in time they were mainly gone and I found the game a lot of fun.  Fantastic dungeons and quest lines from the start all the way to level cap.

I left it and came back twice,  the last time I convinced some friends to join so we could lvl up as a static,  sadly it wasn't long after this that the game closed down.  

it may not happen,  but dreams are free,  maybe this will turn into reality,  time will tell.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

Forgive me if I glorify a relatively trivial point in such a dynamic mmorpg, but does anyone else just love the character animations? 

From what I have seen in the videos, they look astonishingly well done.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Kiori001

If the gaming winds up being anything like Vanguard then I will be very happy.  Lol with the exception of the start of VG,  where my first memory was seeing a tower,  getting to the top and lagging off it and winding up on the ground dead.  VG had its issue's,  in time they were mainly gone and I found the game a lot of fun.  Fantastic dungeons and quest lines from the start all the way to level cap.

I left it and came back twice,  the last time I convinced some friends to join so we could lvl up as a static,  sadly it wasn't long after this that the game closed down.  

it may not happen,  but dreams are free,  maybe this will turn into reality,  time will tell.

I'm with you except for the quest progression.  I like a good quest, but when I see hubs full of them it makes me want to uninstall.  The next time I kill 10 wolves, I better be using a shotgun outside of my tent in the woods, because I don't want to do it in an MMO.

Thankfully they've said, regarding quest progression, that its not the way they intend to use quests in Pantheon.

• KayydKayyd Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Dullahan said:
    The next time I kill 10 wolves, I better be using a shotgun outside of my tent in the woods, because I don't want to do it in an MMO.

Thankfully they've said, regarding quest progression, that its not the way they intend to use quests in Pantheon.

Nothing is more insane than spending all the time and effort to script a quest and get it into the game and have it be kill 10 of X. I think it comes from a false goal. Developers want players to be able to quest from 1 to 50, but they don't realize it's a self defeating goal if the quests are only a pretext, and easily seen for what they are: busywork for the sake of keeping players busy.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Yeah, you keep waiting for the mainstream to deliver what you want (assuming that you want what Panth is delivering at all and are just not spitting negativity for the sake of it).

Mainstream developers have proven themselves unable to be unable to provide me with the type of game I want. Most of the games, both PC and tabletop, I play these days come from crowdfunding. I refuse to bitch about the stagnant repetitive boring reductive gaming mainstream without at least trying to support projects that are trying to do something different. 
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Vesavius said:

Yeah, you keep waiting for the mainstream to deliver what you want (assuming that you want what Panth is delivering at all and are just not spitting negativity for the sake of it).

Mainstream developers have proven themselves unable to be unable to provide me with the type of game I want. Most of the games, both PC and tabletop, I play these days come from crowdfunding. I refuse to bitch about the stagnant repetitive boring reductive gaming mainstream without at least trying to support projects that are trying to do something different. 
    Always get a kick out of people saying they are doing things different:P

They are not... they are doing things like they did  before. And hoping for a different outcome... hmmm where have i heard that before?
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    DarLorkar said:
    Vesavius said:

Always get a kick out of people saying they are doing things different:P

They are not... they are doing things like they did  before. And hoping for a different outcome.

Back this up.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

"Half" finished? Closer to "still in prototype phase".

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Older gamer here.

Nope.

Good on you for feeling you speak for us, though.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Also Agreed with this, A half finished product can change completly and become just another shitty release thats already been done time and time and time again.
    Then there is the what model will it be (subscription, Item shop or a greedy money grabbing money sink and require both)?
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    Gyva02 said:
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by andre369
    Originally posted by Thane

wasn't pantheon the game were the CEO left with the kickstarter money? :)

I think he went on a holiday and people did not like that.

McQuaid took $45k as a "3-month pay advance" out of ~$150k of money donated to make Pantheon to pay for "personal expenses".

This is on top of whatever he paid himself for a salary before that.

He then went on to apologize for taking the aforementioned $45k before some supposed investor money showed up. (That is all fact, as attested to by the apology that McQuaid himself gave at one point.)

Subsequent to that, all of the "professional developers" quit, among allegations of not being paid what they were promised.

From then until the present, it has been all non-paid development, with the aim of producing a pre-alpha build good enough to attract investor interest.

Lacking that, this game will never see the light of day, and the devs have admitted as much.

So, in the end, there is no reason, at all, for there to he any hype or enthusiasm for this title at all.

It's sad to say but it's all we got. It's the only title that looks like its going to play like Classic EQ with an up to date engine...

Pretty much.  There are aspects of EQ I hope they also update.  I would like to see a bit more depth in the skills.  I would also like to see a bit different form of combat, but I am not entirely sure what I would enjoy best in this situation.  I like the simplicity of the actual combat compared to spamming several buttons over and over- although for melee in EQ it was not much different... just less buttons to press.

The most important aspect to me is character development.  The more I can do to enhance my character, the more into the game I will be.  The never ending journey of making my character better is what keeps me interested.  It is tough for me to continue playing a game when I know the only thing left to improve is my gear... which ultimately means waiting on updates or expansions.  

One thing I disagree with many people is when they state games like EQ were not for casuals.  That  is completely false, there was so much to do.  Content was not solely raid related.   Games that promote solo leveling on the other hand are not for casuals.  Once you reach max level, you are done improving your character.  If your schedule does not allow you to raid, the game has nothing more to offer you.  Your ceiling is limited to solo or group-able gear.   Games like WoW limit you to PvP or daily quests if raiding is out of the question.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Nitth said:

Buckle up Kiddies!!! You're going to see how rewarding a difficult and slow progression MMORPG can be :)

They wont and they will leave.

What you will get is a population less than eq1 current.

This 100% The kiddies are not interested in a game like this today.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Original EQ was fun for the full gamut of player types. Sadly, people nowadays think only the most intense raiders ever enjoyed EQ, but that is just not so. This is part of why Brad's last project tanked. The game was promoted as something only, or mainly, hard core players would enjoy. "Our game is not for everyone." By the time Vanguard came out, not that many people wanted to play it. I still remember Brad's last ditch posts on these very forums about how they never meant for people to think casual players would not want to play, but it was too little, too late. Years of testosterone on the FoH boards had already cemented that reputation. Something to keep in mind when making statements like "Buckle up kiddies." 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I'll rejoice when the game is done and is actually good.

P.S. I hope for both

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee