Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You are going to get crushed playing Crowfall

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Parepin

Just stating the obvious about what Crowfall will be at its core: Player conflict (PVP)

That's about the only factual piece of info from this thread.

Those playing will win and lose, regardless of their gaming history.

I was PVPing ~8 years before Shadowbane existed, didn't find it all that entertaining myself and have no fear of being crushed by folks that played it or DF simply because they played those. New game, new requirements. Adapt or die.

"You" as in everyone will be crushed at some point is pretty true. Some will win, some will lose, some will rage and quit. Just how it goes and what I'd hope anyone approaching the game is as well.

As far as the assumptions about how siege will work, spawn camping, ninja raiding or whatever, yet to be revealed. Seems they are trying to avoid many of those "features" to prevent the game from being too unappealing, even to fans of such things.

Big difference between Crowfall and DF/SB is the Campaign win/lose mechanic. People win/lose numerous times per play session in lobby type games without bating an eye, even in fantasy mmorpgs with instances battlegrounds and arenas. People seem to accept losing much easier when winning/losing is clearly defined and set. Unlike DF/SB where the worlds are relatively static and can be dominated for long stretches of time with little for losers to do.

Campaigns in CF will range in varying "difficulty" allowing those that are into the CRUSH at all costs to play with themselves and those less willing to give up their first born for a trophy a place to play as well.

Very smart move on ACEs part and looking at some of the comments here, clearly some still missing this aspect.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    Originally posted by Charlie.Cheswick
    If all the hard core PVPers play Crowfall, who'll be playing CU?

those that like to sleep at night rather than defend their virtual city

Where are you guys getting the 3AM zerg thing from? Was that in one of the FAQs or blogs?

I believe he is referring to the original Shadowbane where, If what I read was true, players would attack other players' cities at odd times of the night when those players weren't online.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654

If you don't have a Shadowbane or Darkfall background you will get crushed in this game.  

These players will camp your cities day and night.  They will tear down walls at 3 AM while you sleep.  They will make siege timers on your cities be the most inconvenient time for you.  They will spawn camp you until you log out of the game.  They will out class and out level you.  They will have dedicated leaders that are willing to kill their own players in order to win a siege or simply win a mine.

Are you really ready for this game?

Just stating the obvious about what Crowfall will be at its core: Player conflict (PVP)

are you serieus comparing this casual game with a game like darkfall?

what are you smoking?

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

If you don't have a Shadowbane or Darkfall background you will get crushed in this game.  These players will camp your cities day and night.  They will tear down walls at 3 AM while you sleep.  They will make siege timers on your cities be the most inconvenient time for you.  They will spawn camp you until you log out of the game.  They will out class and out level you.  They will have dedicated leaders that are willing to kill their own players in order to win a siege or simply win a mine.Are you really ready for this game?Just stating the obvious about what Crowfall will be at its core: Player conflict (PVP)

And? The games you say people 'need' experience in pale compared to PvP in old school L2. So bring your worst, it's what CF appears to be about.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

No one will be playing either, they'll all be here on the forums talking about the next overhyped yet-to-be-released game. Then they'll all take a break to go back to WoW for the next xpac, then 3-6 months later come back to the forums and cry some more. Rinse and Repeat.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

All of the people like me that actually enjoyed RvR combat as opposed to FFA kill anyone anywhere pvp?  CU won't have any issues derived from CF lol

• HivesHives Member UncommonPosts: 203
    First and foremost anyone that mentions Darkfall as a good pvp game or even a decent playing game is insane. As far as Crowfall is concerned i will wait and see how it turns out because it might just be me but i have enough sense to wait till after Alpha/Beta to decide. To each his own... I loved UO back in the day and others didn't and guess what it didn't bother me. This topic sounds like it should be on the Archeage forum seeing how so many hardcore pvp'ers loved that game.
  • WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

This is the same as:

DFO

DFUW

MO

Xyson

Albion Online

Various other sandboxes that are in the works...

These game designers are voraciously competing for this same niche audience. All of which are the full loot PVP FFA mechanic. I think perhaps it boils down to these players are much more loyal than the typical themepark player which more than likely are just either tourists, or content locusts.

This playerbase also usually comes are a large guild or group which again maintains loyalty.

My issue is the fact that these games force players to a "safety in numbers" mentality, where you are not safe unless you are with your zerg unless you want to risk just losing your shit or progress or whatever.

I wish one of these developers would consider developing a game similar to DAoC but with the Mordred/Andred ruleset. I mean yes anyone could kill anyone at any given time however you were not forced to play as a group all the time due to the fact that the risk while still apparent, was not a total loss. People seemed to be at least at the time a little more civil and not just going to kill you because you may be carrying a pack full of ore or whatever.

I know there are those players that defend this FFA PVP Full Loot style to their death, and normally it is because they are already part of a large group or may just be highly skilled at this kind of gameplay... The drawback is, clearly there are those who this style of play is not their cup of tea which means loads of population at release but after the superior player have zerged their way to global domination there is no one to kill anymore...

This game will certainly be interesting... the various rules from the outer ring to the inner ring will be a barometer as to track which ruleset is the most popular and give players at least a chance to play their way to some extent.

I just hope my kickstarter donation is not a waste like pathfinder or even the repopulation at this point.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Originally posted by greenreen

Hehe @ the wallet crushing comments.

I too see this game as becoming microtransaction central.

It started when I saw the staff in the Kickstarter itself 9/15 staff named as artist or design.

One person listed as an animator.

One person listed as developer. One!

Two people listed as engineers.

One person listed as Gameplay and Server.

One person listed as a VP of development.

Hrm, what sorts of things require fewer animations... engineers... and gameplay consultants or actual developers... cash shop items!

Then the person involved in leading the project who just seems ... untrustworthy ... you know how you get that vibe from people that they are trying to scam you. The only sign I can give to explain it is that their candor changes. They talk quickly when they are supposed to be excited about something but are circumventing questions, then they go into dumb down phase to condescendingly talk down to you about the process itself, kind of claiming to fill a need where there isn't one then saying people need this product so we created it when instead they saw something else calling them, not what they are talking about.  They have another person on the team who talks about how great free to play is and how great microtransactions are and how every game should be that way. They publicly say it in their blog and in interviews for years. It's no secret. The original person too worked on free to play games one of which is considered pay to win so they have no qualms about it. The whole team of leadership is going to be apt to poopoo any concerns because it's part of their mentality. And they'll have supporters for their excesses because frankly, in a PVP game, people's egos get hurt when they lose so they'll literally pay to win.

How about that line that they are like EVE. C'mon. I see not one spaceship. Oh and Game of Thrones, way to reference pop culture. They must consider their audience muy estupido to market in such a way. Maybe they consider their audience into soap operas because Vikings is clearly the better show lol

Hehehe oh boy egos are going to get crushed :'D

Some spot on posts here the past few pages ^^

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Hives
    First and foremost anyone that mentions Darkfall as a good pvp game or even a decent playing game is insane. As far as Crowfall is concerned i will wait and see how it turns out because it might just be me but i have enough sense to wait till after Alpha/Beta to decide. To each his own... I loved UO back in the day and others didn't and guess what it didn't bother me. This topic sounds like it should be on the Archeage forum seeing how so many hardcore pvp'ers loved that game.

DFUW is actually pretty polished at this point in time.  I'm guessing you haven't played it in a very long time.  Darkfall (both) have the best PvP action free aim combat in the genre.

I think OP was advertising for the game...not trying to dissuade people from playing it.

Hopefully CF feels like you are fighting in a full fledged world and not some little battleground instance.  We will see.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Don't worry, us EVE players will teach the Darkfall and Shadowbane immigrants how it's done.  

Afterall, our game hasn't failcascaded after a couple of years.  We have 12 years of experience doing everything you listed.

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    so instead of crying and being a victim why don't you partake of the action?
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

@OP, it's just a game, seriously.

Btw, we did all those things (except the spawn camping which didn't exist) already in DAoC. A long time before Shadowbane or DF were even released. So, just relax and all will be good. ;)

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    he was hoping for a neopets clone
  • EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

and like all the other overhyped PVP utopias ...it will be dead in about 2 months. doesn't one of these types of posts show up in every PVP oriented game?

omg in Darkfall you will be crushed ...

In Archeage prepare to be crushed

in Mortal Online Crushing will be done.

yeah have fun crushing the other 15 players that are still playing after the first month or so.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Where are you guys getting the 3AM zerg thing from? Was that in one of the FAQs or blogs?

I believe he is referring to the original Shadowbane where, If what I read was true, players would attack other players' cities at odd times of the night when those players weren't online.

It was very true in Shadowbane, at least at launch.  The city my guild built was sieged at 3:00 am when everyone was offline and all but totally destroyed. (there was a mechanic to protect the core tree and a few bldgs.)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by greenreen

Hehe @ the wallet crushing comments.

I too see this game as becoming microtransaction central.

It started when I saw the staff in the Kickstarter itself 9/15 staff named as artist or design.

One person listed as an animator.

One person listed as developer. One!

Two people listed as engineers.

One person listed as Gameplay and Server.

One person listed as a VP of development.

Hrm, what sorts of things require fewer animations... engineers... and gameplay consultants or actual developers... cash shop items!

Then the person involved in leading the project who just seems ... untrustworthy ... you know how you get that vibe from people that they are trying to scam you. The only sign I can give to explain it is that their candor changes. They talk quickly when they are supposed to be excited about something but are circumventing questions, then they go into dumb down phase to condescendingly talk down to you about the process itself, kind of claiming to fill a need where there isn't one then saying people need this product so we created it when instead they saw something else calling them, not what they are talking about.  They have another person on the team who talks about how great free to play is and how great microtransactions are and how every game should be that way. They publicly say it in their blog and in interviews for years. It's no secret. The original person too worked on free to play games one of which is considered pay to win so they have no qualms about it. The whole team of leadership is going to be apt to poopoo any concerns because it's part of their mentality. And they'll have supporters for their excesses because frankly, in a PVP game, people's egos get hurt when they lose so they'll literally pay to win.

How about that line that they are like EVE. C'mon. I see not one spaceship. Oh and Game of Thrones, way to reference pop culture. They must consider their audience muy estupido to market in such a way. Maybe they consider their audience into soap operas because Vikings is clearly the better show lol

Ya, they are really doing a horrible job seeing as how a bit of artwork and marketing made their crowdfunding campaign a huge success and lined up enough continued supporters and investors to fund their game's development.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Sovrath

It was very true in Shadowbane, at least at launch.  The city my guild built was sieged at 3:00 am when everyone was offline and all but totally destroyed. (there was a mechanic to protect the core tree and a few bldgs.)

2003 was well over a decade ago. 

EDIT: And if your city was sieged at a time when your guild was offline, that actually was your guild leader's fault. He had at least 24 hours to change the bane time to one that accommodated his guild. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

Daoc was never "hardcore" pvp nor was its player base. CU will not be for the hardcore pvp'er. Hopefully they all go to Crowfall, one can only pray.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Crafting days to acquire great equipment only to get it ganked away sounds like great fun to me I can't wait to pay money for the experience.
  • VegLerVegLer Member Posts: 2

LOL you think this is anything?

Try playing EVE Online, where corperations (guilds) will litterly take shifts in camping you for 24/7 for 9months just to kill one expensive ship. 

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

and the "my PVP game is more hardcore than your PVP game" circle jerks continues on and on and on.

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388

If you don't have a Shadowbane or Darkfall background you will get crushed in this game.  

These players will camp your cities day and night.  They will tear down walls at 3 AM while you sleep.  They will make siege timers on your cities be the most inconvenient time for you.  They will spawn camp you until you log out of the game.  They will out class and out level you.  They will have dedicated leaders that are willing to kill their own players in order to win a siege or simply win a mine.

Are you really ready for this game?

Where do i sign up for the Closed Beta?:)

• ParepinParepin Member UncommonPosts: 257
    The only downside to Crowfall is blue servers.  I wonder how many people will hide on them.