Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After 3 days..

2»

Comments

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson

OP - sounds like its time to change the Sig?

If you don't mind block voxels - check out Trove - in terms of featutres and gameplay its about 3 light years ahead of Landmark.

Gameplay and features over graphics? For me that's a big yes any day anytime.

Inb4 Trion advertisment......nvm.

So anybody who says anything positive about anything is now advertising.... wow 

reaching

/facepalm

Anyway back to Landmark - I checked it out more  tonight - I have to agree that the new islands are indeed better designed.

But the rest of the gameplay is just not there - so I have to agree with OP again - the combat, the NPCs, the building toolset is still a pain when it comes to some basic primitive shapes.

I think the design team is up against the wall over some real technical challenges - it feels like they just can't seem to get a handle on where to go from here which is why so many systems feel like they haven't been touched in 6+ months.

I feel for them - it's painful

They are better designed with the way the ocean can come inland further but everything else not so much. The heightmap is still way wrong with mountains and cliffs being the majority landscape. There are videos out there where someone creates a larger and better looking and useful island in Unity / Unreal in 15 minutes. While DBG has had 1 and a half years or so and they still cannot get it right. I overlooked them saying they now plan to make the islands bigger and more continent like at some point so hopefully that will help add more plains and valleys etc.

I still think they should after generating the land go through and touch them up by hand to make them feel less random and more real / believable.

They do jump around to much when it comes to trying to feature up the game. The first thing they should have had fleshed out and deep are the building tools. They are still extremely barebones and I havent a clue when or if they will ever improve to even close to the level seen in VF videos.

And how they have left combat the way it is baffles me. Still dont have have an active block.

LM IMO would be in much better shape now if they just made the building tools better. 

Another thing I dont understand is that it took them forever to add in " large humans " .. They have been available to play for a long time judging by them being used in EQN showcases. But why didnt they just add in a height / bulk slider? That accomplishes the exact same thing plus allows to players to make " small humans " so they could roleplay as a Halfling , Dwarf or Gnome. Just seems like the more obvious thing to do. Maybe the outfit / armor skins would be to much of an issue for them right now.

• PascalCPascalC Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

The " big update " ... Hah.

Still no player merchants. They were due several months ago.

Tree harvesting was supposed to visually improve a year ago. Never did.

The lands are still void of any life besides the few mobs and I think those only spawn in caves now. Where are the Deer , Birds , Squirrels , Bears etc? No life of any kind.

Combat hasnt been touched since it came in many months ago. The only thing they tweaked was mob damage.

AI is still terrible.

agreed at 100% not a game not even a simulation.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by PascalC

The lands are still void of any life besides the few mobs and I think those only spawn in caves now. Where are the Deer , Birds , Squirrels , Bears etc? No life of any kind.

Combat hasnt been touched since it came in many months ago. The only thing they tweaked was mob damage.

AI is still terrible.

I think because we've become accustomed to it, alpha has become to new beta and nobodies expectations adjusted.

I will agree with you on all points, but this IS still alpha.  I wasn't expecting to play a fully fleshed-out game when I bought in...nobody should have.

It doesn't help that people have been playing it for much longer than me, which of course irritates the sore that is the fact that it's alpha. 

I have no idea WHAT they have going on really.  Maybe the team for Landmark is only slightly different from EQN and some devs have to bounce back and forth, etc.  I have no doubt that they are running into technical issues, this is a pretty steep hill they're climbing after all. 

Just try to remember that this isn't even a beta yet....I know that can be hard when you've played it for so long and seen the evolution of it during that time...but it doesn't change the facts in regards to the development stage.

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson

OP - sounds like its time to change the Sig?

If you don't mind block voxels - check out Trove - in terms of featutres and gameplay its about 3 light years ahead of Landmark.

Gameplay and features over graphics? For me that's a big yes any day anytime.

Inb4 Trion advertisment......nvm.

So anybody who says anything positive about anything is now advertising.... wow 

reaching

/facepalm

Anyway back to Landmark - I checked it out more  tonight - I have to agree that the new islands are indeed better designed.

But the rest of the gameplay is just not there - so I have to agree with OP again - the combat, the NPCs, the building toolset is still a pain when it comes to some basic primitive shapes.

I think the design team is up against the wall over some real technical challenges - it feels like they just can't seem to get a handle on where to go from here which is why so many systems feel like they haven't been touched in 6+ months.

I feel for them - it's painful

It's not about saying something positive it's about your posting in each & every thread of this website how Trove & Archeage are the best games ever and all the rest is shit.

Tbh it's quite a shame to see such an advanced AI wasted on a adbot like you.

• PascalCPascalC Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by Kajidourden

AI is still terrible.

I think because we've become accustomed to it, alpha has become to new beta and nobodies expectations adjusted.

I will agree with you on all points, but this IS still alpha.  I wasn't expecting to play a fully fleshed-out game when I bought in...nobody should have.

It doesn't help that people have been playing it for much longer than me, which of course irritates the sore that is the fact that it's alpha. 

I have no idea WHAT they have going on really.  Maybe the team for Landmark is only slightly different from EQN and some devs have to bounce back and forth, etc.  I have no doubt that they are running into technical issues, this is a pretty steep hill they're climbing after all. 

Just try to remember that this isn't even a beta yet....I know that can be hard when you've played it for so long and seen the evolution of it during that time...but it doesn't change the facts in regards to the development stage.

Compared with repopulation and even Ark or albion online, Landmark is a total joke. there's no life, no birds, the world is almost dead, you must walk for hours to find ONE living mob. As an ancient VG and SWG player (i had the full access SOE games several years ago) i must admit it's the end of the great SOE company. Time has come for new companies (indies) and new games (MOBAS, survival, "sandboxes come back" etc) EQ is an old concept, it's over. I'll play again EQ2 for sure (EQ1 is too old, Vg is closed...), last nice game made by SOE, but i won't wait for EQN anymore.

• Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Kajidourden

AI is still terrible.

Been playing the Albion summer Alpha, and it's about 500x the game Landmark is. Development stage has nothing to do with it.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Couldn't all the people in Landmark just play Minecraft? Minecraft has all what Landmark claims already?

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• kemono55kemono55 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Originally posted by lugal
    Couldn't all the people in Landmark just play Minecraft? Minecraft has all what Landmark claims already?

I get very frustrated when playing Minecraft, building is my favorite task in those types of games, the block size in Minecraft is way to big to make anything that mimics reality (unless you go 4:1 scale).

This is the one thing Landmark has going for it, the current implementation of voxels and textures.

I suspect this is why those playing Landmark are not playing Minecraft, I know it is mine.

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    This was nothing but a cash grab. Nothing good will ever come of this.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by MrSnuffles
    This was nothing but a cash grab. Nothing good will ever come of this.

That was obvious a long time ago sadly. I am still going to hold out hope that they can do something with Landmark but it isnt looking good. I would be happy if they can just get better building tools in the game. After all this time still using the same lame basic building tools is unbelievable.

Once they started hopping around like crazy trying to add different styles of gameplay is when I knew they were never going to get anything of note done.

Islands still stink ( though they finally agreed to them needing to be much larger and its coming ) , still no inland water , crap tools , combat is still terrible , AI still terrible , Caves still terrible , game still runs like garbage , LOD is still terrible and MANY more things are terrible.. And now they updates are laughably bad so they better be doing tons of stuff they arent talking about or else that is it.

Coming back to it after a year, it is pretty astounding how little progress there has been.

I'm actually in awe how much little has been done with it.

It's too bad, because the premise was pretty good, albeit might not cater to everyone, 

it could have been one of those games that had a group of niche players keeping it alive.

It could have been...

But they are placing all their coin on Everquest Next, which judging the Landmark development,

have no chance of being anything but a flavor of the month.

For you guys that's waiting eagerly for EQN, I'm sorry for the negative outlook, but I can't see how it can compete with whats out there already.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by kemono55

Coming back to it after a year, it is pretty astounding how little progress there has been.

I'm actually in awe how much little has been done with it.

It's too bad, because the premise was pretty good, albeit might not cater to everyone, 

it could have been one of those games that had a group of niche players keeping it alive.

It could have been...

But they are placing all their coin on Everquest Next, which judging the Landmark development,

have no chance of being anything but a flavor of the month.

For you guys that's waiting eagerly for EQN, I'm sorry for the negative outlook, but I can't see how it can compete with whats out there already.

It literally boggles the mind that people are still expecting something out of this game.

It was never going to be anything other than a piece of crap. Some of us saw that from the start.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Oh well you know,

Sure I didn't buy into the promo vids for Landmark, way over promising. (As they did for EQN).

But I picked it up on sale, and it was actually pretty fun, and a lot of potential.

I mean how hard could it be to mimic what was in Minecraft, this is a AAA production, and Minecraft started as small indie... right....

I think most people didn't expect everything that was promised, but I do think people saw the potential in the product,

and knew what was already done in Minecraft on a lot smaller scale.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    I just bought 7 days to die

A voxel based survival building game.

alot more fun than landmark ever was. How does an indie dev make better game than a company
    with a ton of backers . Worst $100 I ever spent was on Landmark alpha