Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying to Return Has Been Brutal

WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

I am trying to make a solid effort to return to TSW however I am really stuck and have no idea where to pick off where I left off. For the simple reason that I am not sure exactly where I left off.

For most games this is really not an issue, log in, find your nearest quest hub, and go. However with TSW the strong points are really in it's story and not so much the combat and traditional MMO chaff.

I played the game at release and pretty sure I got through at least the initial game storyline. But when I look at what quests I completed there are some from Issue #1 and 2.

Can anyone direct me to a decent resource or guide for returning players all my googling hasn't paid off so well. Getting pretty desperate.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Comments

• Boomerang102Boomerang102 Member Posts: 3
    Been quite a while since I have played this, but if I remember right, most of the quests except for the very core quest line are repeatable after a certain period of time.  I would recommend you go to the last area you remember working on and start doing the quests.  They will lead you to an area you have not been to easily enough.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Wighty

I am trying to make a solid effort to return to TSW however I am really stuck and have no idea where to pick off where I left off. For the simple reason that I am not sure exactly where I left off.

For most games this is really not an issue, log in, find your nearest quest hub, and go. However with TSW the strong points are really in it's story and not so much the combat and traditional MMO chaff.

I played the game at release and pretty sure I got through at least the initial game storyline. But when I look at what quests I completed there are some from Issue #1 and 2.

Can anyone direct me to a decent resource or guide for returning players all my googling hasn't paid off so well. Getting pretty desperate.

I do just that when i come back to TSW after a long break and pick it up quite nicely thanks to the quest always being active (cant cancel it, only pause it to replace it for another main quest, so there is still a main quest active).

Also remember that due to the nature of the investigation missions, TSW has the in game browser to encourage google searches. 

http://unfair.co/?s=dawn+of+the+endless+night

This site is dedicated to help people who get stuck at missions. Maybe you find a guide there. I dont use guides unless im stuck so that site helps me when i dont want to waste hours looking for a solution by myself.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

I have been using Unfair and TSWDB to get some hints... I am pretty sure I cleared all the content up to the late game which as far as I can remember was either Egypt or Translvania.

I have come across a lot of NPC's in the game most of whom have a check mark next to the quest, which I am guessing I already solved and/or is repeatable. I really have no interest in repeating quests my main focus is on picking up where I left off and trying to solve that mystery is a challenge in itself... I am hoping to just progress through the different issues and play through the content as I move along.

The other issue I am having is with builds... Jeez everything I run into is a chore to kill, even using the TSWDB builds are rough, I must have really crap gear or something.

I may just need to start over from scratch however if I recognize the content I will get bored and just quit altogether.

• etharnetharn Member UncommonPosts: 152
    If I take long extended breaks this always happens to me no matter the mmo, sadly. I always feel like I need to start over due to being lost or dont understand the class im playing etc. TSW is farily easy though to get back on your feet once you get the hang of it again It's also why I keep one character slot open for those times when I do feel lost about something (thats for any mmo)

A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing; and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Best thing to do is to start over with a new character and build.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by etharn
    If I take long extended breaks this always happens to me no matter the mmo, sadly. I always feel like I need to start over due to being lost or dont understand the class im playing etc. TSW is farily easy though to get back on your feet once you get the hang of it again It's also why I keep one character slot open for those times when I do feel lost about something (thats for any mmo)

And to make matters worse the devs makes changes to the games so often and frequently now that there are many more new mechanics in place after a brief hiatus. Leaving an MMO and coming back sucks.

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240

Think unfair discontinued on tsw. Regardless, without any information on your current progression it's hard to tell where you are.

New England is QL 1-6, Egypt is QL 6-8, and Trans is QL 8-10 and above, give or take 1 QL difference. Main storyline wise you could rush and finish them before the paid main storyline in QL 6 if you know what you are doing. Also, beating Gatekeeper with mostly QL 6 talish and QL 9 weap is possible. Last alt I could step into NM was like 20% wheel and with QL 9 weap on. Tokyo is actually hard for solo new players but for vets it again become a joke. Issue from like 6 (first paid?) to up til 10 are all amazing; saying this because 11 is very disappointing on delivery, tho the ending is the only thing worth watching. Some claim 11 is actually challenging, but no.. It's just annoying, there's a difference.

Yea I return to the game on a weekly basis and each time I return I quit it after 30min... That's how sad the anticipation verses the reality for this game.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

The other issue I am having is with builds... Jeez everything I run into is a chore to kill, even using the TSWDB builds are rough, I must have really crap gear or something.

I may just need to start over from scratch however if I recognize the content I will get bored and just quit altogether.

This should help -- all the storyline cutscenes below -- you could probably watch up to where you are now:

https://youtu.be/UQ433vrY4OE?list=PL61F609A21A98AA0E

As far as builds go, check to make sure your gear QL matches your skill levels, and maybe check to see if you are over-geared with healing and such.  Shoot for Hit and Pen if you want to be doing more damage, and make sure you are adding glyphs and signets in your slots.  3k is probably about right for health, so if you are way over that, you're probably not doing enough damage.

http://www.tswdb.com/miscellaneous/the-secret-world-beginner-guide/#character-statistics

TSWDB has decent decks -- try to work toward something you are close to already.  And don't forget to synergize.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

Start a new character if it's been overly long time (you can always return to your old one at a later date).

The official forums has a heap of good stuff to help out newcomers (https://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?6-Newcomers)

The Secret World database (http://www.tswdb.com/) also has a lot of stuff for beginners as well as walkthroughs for all the missions and some good example builds.

In game, the elite builds recently added as also reasonable, the sword/chaos one especially is close to my main solo build.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by BalianWolfie

Think unfair discontinued on tsw. Regardless, without any information on your current progression it's hard to tell where you are.

New England is QL 1-6, Egypt is QL 6-8, and Trans is QL 8-10 and above, give or take 1 QL difference. Main storyline wise you could rush and finish them before the paid main storyline in QL 6 if you know what you are doing. Also, beating Gatekeeper with mostly QL 6 talish and QL 9 weap is possible. Last alt I could step into NM was like 20% wheel and with QL 9 weap on. Tokyo is actually hard for solo new players but for vets it again become a joke. Issue from like 6 (first paid?) to up til 10 are all amazing; saying this because 11 is very disappointing on delivery, tho the ending is the only thing worth watching. Some claim 11 is actually challenging, but no.. It's just annoying, there's a difference.

Yea I return to the game on a weekly basis and each time I return I quit it after 30min... That's how sad the anticipation verses the reality for this game.

I have QL 10 gear (all greens) and for the most part based on just digging through my quest log of finished quests I can see that I am partly through with Issue #2 (quests like Death and axes are complete)

This is pretty much where I am at.... I believe I am in the ballpark of 600ish points with points being spread out all over the wheel based on what was good back in the day, which may or may not hold weight today.

I purchased the Massive addition through Steam so I believe I have a few issues up to 9ish?

I was more or less looking for some guidance as to where to pick up the story... It seems that I am just looking at a guide and going to where the quest giver is and starting quest... There doesn't really seem to be a fluent connection linking each issues questlines, unless I am sorely missing something.

As a final note... I really despise that Agartha place... I always seem to get lost or spun around and loose my way... Is there a better way to get around or is that just it?

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Ortwig, do you know if Tokyo is still gated behind the scenarios?  The Council Seal?
    Originally posted by Robsolf
    Ortwig, do you know if Tokyo is still gated behind the scenarios?  The Council Seal?

Anyone can enter Tokyo now for free, though they do need to progress through the story, which is now open for free in Venice.  The scenario requirement was greatly reduced -- you can complete it by running just one scenario now.  And I do believe the investigation mission in one of the sidestories will also work.  Anyone can enter Tokyo now without buying Issue 9, but you'll need Issue 9 to continue the story.  Mostly explained here:

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/enhanced_player_experience

As a final note... I really despise that Agartha place... I always seem to get lost or spun around and loose my way... Is there a better way to get around or is that just it?

You can jump down onto the path below New York entrance to get to Egypt more quickly and down the path below Seoul entrance to get to Venice and Tokyo.  If you can swing the long jump down from Venice to the path below, that's a shortcut to Transylvania as well.  No harm in jumping and fun to try to hit the mark without all the travel.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Originally posted by Robsolf

Anyone can enter Tokyo now for free, though they do need to progress through the story, which is now open for free in Venice.  The scenario requirement was greatly reduced -- you can complete it by running just one scenario now.  And I do believe the investigation mission in one of the sidestories will also work.  Anyone can enter Tokyo now without buying Issue 9, but you'll need Issue 9 to continue the story.  Mostly explained here:

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/enhanced_player_experience

Thanks, Ortwig!  That's exactly the info I was looking for.

• RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143

I wouldn't advise starting a new character, unless you don't like the faction. You can always just step back a zone, or for that matter go all the way back to Kingsmouth with your existing character. The reason I say don't start a new character is the number of skills you already have built up. I've actually gone back and played through a lot of the earlier zones just so I could take my time and enjoy them, such is the nature of TSW ;)

If you're in Tokyo and having trouble killing, it's likely the AEGIS system. You might want to read up on it but basically use the right AEGIS for the mob you're attacking, and level those AEGIS up, you have to knock down their AEGIS shields before you can damage them. I had a lot of trouble at the start, but once you get your AEGIS damage up it's just a few hits.