Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is it so difficult to find a quality guild lately?

ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
In both ESO (DC) and GW2 (BG) I've been looking for a solidly lead guild for almost 6 months.  For what ever reason it seems as though every guild I find is either lead by a 14 year old, or so unorganized and inactive they may as well not even be a guild.  Is it a sign of the decline of our genre?   I don't have any huge expectations or anything for the guilds I join, but I've been let down again and again the past few months.

Perhaps it's a sign of the shift in our genre from group oriented to solosist.  People no longer need other people, thus guilds are unimportant, and many people just go guildless, or join one of the massive 500 person guilds?  I dunno, something seems to be up though.  I've never had a problem finding a good guild like this before.

It seems like sites like Enjin etc could really use a looking for guild tool built in.  Something to filter guilds by games, play styles, activity, etc.  Dunno, just getting quite frustrated trying to find a quality guild.

Comments

• XxeroxXxerox Member UncommonPosts: 126

Join our guild! its the best in the world. We are supported by "insert name of something no one knows" and we have an awesome twitch channel ( 14 people currently watching)

no, No, join our guild! Requirements : Must be able to win vs 5 players alone, be super strategic, use teamspeaker , be over 18 years old, (insert 100 more requirements ) Last year out of 500 people we accepted 1, and he was kicked week later for not playing with us 24/7 like he should have!

What you talking bout brahs? join MAH guild! Just remember i can kick you out any time, cos i feel like it! My dad is second in command, so dont annoy him, Mm ok ?

Join my guild! (every single member starts spamming to join the guild)

- Just some of the guilds i have encountered past 2 days.

What i am trying to say is :

Guilds lately are annoying. They will do anything for attention. They always play together all the time, and try to reach end game as soon as possible, just so they can show how good they are. They have twitch chanels and pray for big sponsors to sponsor them.

Currently guild are not for fun, more like for clearing a specific game, and being on top of everyone, rather than being nice to each other, and not try to recruit others.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    MMORPGs require less and less teamplay and communication. So guilds are not as much needed anymore.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Its been happening for a while now, its like guilds are competing with each other to see which one gets the most people. Specially in ESO where the "auction house" is run by guilds, you have huge guilds where nobody talk to each other or actually play together. They just focus on spamming invites. I havent joined a guild in GW2 in a long time so i cant say, but its probably the same in many cases. 

Big guilds have no identity, and small guilds are always empty when the few members are offline dealing with real life just when you have some free time to play lol. Either way is bad... i just play by myself.

On a positive note, at least guilds in WoW have useful perks.

• XxeroxXxerox Member UncommonPosts: 126

"We don't need people to "win for us", that is why we have strict requirements. This ensures that the people in the guild are all around the same level of skill/mentality. We are humble/fun people. We just don't want to mass recruit and carry scrubs all day long."

"most of our members have a lot of experience playing in hardcore guilds in the past, and some at a competitive level (pro and semi-pro"

"we want to be a very small guild, but still be able to be on top of progression and PvP"

Summed up : We are small guild of Pro and Semi-Pro players, and we need to always win. We accept only Pro and Semi - Pro members.

Thats the responses i got from a guild. this is what guilds are turning those days....

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I learned years ago that guild advertisements that referred to noobs, scrubs, 'hardcore', 'progressive', wanted to see your UI etc tended to care more about progression than people having fun. Depends on the game ofc.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• SuntouchedSuntouched Member CommonPosts: 50

I am part of a guild in ESO, when i joined the people were very chatting and we helped each other out at times, but i was wanting something more active, like guild events etc. 

So i created a small little guild event, a find the screenshot location with a prize, the guild leader was happy to see i was interested in doing something for the guild so he made me the events co ordinator and ive been doing 1 to 2 events per week for the guild. Weve had alot of fun times. 

The point im trying to make is that you can help create the guild you want to be in, just find one where the guild leader is active and the members chat to each other. And then start building the part of the guild that you feel should be changed or grown in.

eg. Become a Pvp leader or Events organiser, or Recruitment Officer. There is alot to do in a guild to make it something great, its not just about finding the perfect fit but also helping to make it.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by Suntouched

I am part of a guild in ESO, when i joined the people were very chatting and we helped each other out at times, but i was wanting something more active, like guild events etc. 

So i created a small little guild event, a find the screenshot location with a prize, the guild leader was happy to see i was interested in doing something for the guild so he made me the events co ordinator and ive been doing 1 to 2 events per week for the guild. Weve had alot of fun times. 

The point im trying to make is that you can help create the guild you want to be in, just find one where the guild leader is active and the members chat to each other. And then start building the part of the guild that you feel should be changed or grown in.

eg. Become a Pvp leader or Events organiser, or Recruitment Officer. There is alot to do in a guild to make it something great, its not just about finding the perfect fit but also helping to make it.

I haven't seen a guild like this in almost half a year, or more.  1. guild leader active 2. guild is chatty and active....  haven't been able to find this.

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    The better guilds I've seen do not recruit.

Its better when invitations are done on a personal level and are either earned or asked for and subsequently earned. When I say earned, I don't mean wow youre hardcore, I mean like I played with you and you're cool, want to join my guild?
    Originally posted by Ludwik

Its better when invitations are done on a personal level and are either earned or asked for and subsequently earned. When I say earned, I don't mean wow youre hardcore, I mean like I played with you and you're cool, want to join my guild?

This is how MMORPG's used to work, and I miss those days.  But with cross server queuing, or mega servers, you rarely see the people you group with ever again.  That type of guild recruitment just doesn't seem to work anymore.  =(

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I kinda miss that, too. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by ragz45

This is how MMORPG's used to work, and I miss those days.  But with cross server queuing, or mega servers, you rarely see the people you group with ever again.  That type of guild recruitment just doesn't seem to work anymore.  =(

This is pretty much just the terrible community thread only with guilds. So I feel like this applies...

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Love that pic.  Spells community wrong though down below.  Also, bus should be a short bus.

Originally posted by Dullahan
    Love that pic.  Spells community wrong though down below.  Also, bus should be a short bus.

Spelling aint my strong point but I did try to make the community guy look like Chevy Chase is the show Community.

LoL love it.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I think that guilds are becoming more and more picky. Exclusivity is EVERYTHING!! I run a Level 25 guild on Emerald Dream and I'm the only person in the guild!! Not even my alts!! I'm very picky! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    I think that guilds are becoming more and more picky. Exclusivity is EVERYTHING!! I run a Level 25 guild on Emerald Dream and I'm the only person in the guild!! Not even my alts!! I'm very picky! 

So much sarcasm in this thread it's almost palpable.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    In both ESO (DC) and GW2 (BG) I've been looking for a solidly lead guild for almost 6 months.  For what ever reason it seems as though every guild I find is either lead by a 14 year old, or so unorganized and inactive they may as well not even be a guild.  Is it a sign of the decline of our genre?   I don't have any huge expectations or anything for the guilds I join, but I've been let down again and again the past few months.

Perhaps it's a sign of the shift in our genre from group oriented to solosist.  People no longer need other people, thus guilds are unimportant, and many people just go guildless, or join one of the massive 500 person guilds?  I dunno, something seems to be up though.  I've never had a problem finding a good guild like this before.

It seems like sites like Enjin etc could really use a looking for guild tool built in.  Something to filter guilds by games, play styles, activity, etc.  Dunno, just getting quite frustrated trying to find a quality guild.

I join guilds to generally have fun and good laughs.

If guilds want to recruit me to advance in some area and not wanting me for my persona alone but only for my skills, they can kiss my ***.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Probably because every game is a piece of garbage, so nobody actually cares to start a guild and maintain it properly. 
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
    Originally posted by OhhPaigey
    Probably because every game is a piece of garbage, so nobody actually cares to start a guild and maintain it properly. 

So the truth has been spoken.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Go Old School:  Start your own guild and run it with the people you can get with your same attitude.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Nilden

This is pretty much just the terrible community thread only with guilds. So I feel like this applies...

Very much so .. who have time for guilds when i actually already have limited time to play games?

ideally a good guild should facilitate your play time, as it would be easier to find players for groups, etc.  This is traditionally one of the many different ways that guilds were helpful in the past.  The more you put into a guild, the more you got out of a guild.

Lately, it seems like guilds are no better than a message board for idle chatter as you play games solo.  I may as well just go play a single player game with facebook open if that's all I wanted out of a guild.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by maji
    MMORPGs require less and less teamplay and communication. So guilds are not as much needed anymore.

I say this is so true. Guilds are for people who feel lonely and hate solo play. Heck i sometimes just take blind invites now just so i don't keep getting spammed to join someones guild. No one talks very much in guild chats so they leave me alone. The days of being in a good guild are over. I never get asked in a tell if i would like to join a guild. Its all blind invites now.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Gaisioch is an AWESOME guild and has been around since the old school days. Best community ever. http://gaiscioch.com/?thankyou=validation&game=gw2
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Suntouched

I haven't seen a guild like this in almost half a year, or more.  1. guild leader active 2. guild is chatty and active....  haven't been able to find this.

have you tried Grievance? Aldmeri Dominion side. They seem to be very chatty and very organized.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo