Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Things hindering this game.

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Having played this game a while I came up with a few things hindering this game.  The game is very realistic and even the towns and guard have a degree of realism that you will not experience in any other game.  That being said their current justice system is too unrealistic causing new players a ton of frustration.  Examples are.  You walk into town and see a dead body on the ground so naturally you look to see what is inside and pick a few things up.  Without much warning the guards start to kill you because you have taken something that belongs to another player.  Now that you have died from commiting a crime the other players can loot everything you have without consequence.  Easy fix is to make a warning that you are about to commit a crime that will at least give new players a heads up on what is going to happen next.

Secondly there is a murder system and if you murder more then x amount of players your name turns red and the city guards will attack you on sight.  This is a good system however if you die as a murderer then your stats get debuffed and you have to do a grind that takes a few hours to get them back to normal.  This is a severe hindrance to new players who wish to become murderers.  It is enough that this is a full loot game and you are not allowed to buy and sell in major cities as a red player but to get a stat debuff is going too far.

Thirdly is the thieving system.  A thief can steal from you and if you attack him he is able to kill you without getting a murder score.  There are some people on this game with over 1000 murders that have been free from murder score and they walk around in the cities all day.  This is hardly justice at all and any new player will see this as a troll game and quit once educated to this process.

This game will launch on steam once the major continent update is complete and if they don't fix this justice system then I fear it will fail quickly.

Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by filmoret

This game will launch on steam once the major continent update is complete and if they don't fix this justice system then I fear it will fail quickly.

What is your definition of "fail"?  This game has been released for over 4 years, mentioned on every gaming website/forum including steam and is free to play / try it out and yet has only been able to convince less than 3000 people on the entire planet that it holds enough value to pay a subscription fee.  Most would say that qualifies as a fail already.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Having played this game a while I came up with a few things hindering this game.  The game is very realistic and even the towns and guard have a degree of realism that you will not experience in any other game.  That being said their current justice system is too unrealistic causing new players a ton of frustration.  Examples are.  You walk into town and see a dead body on the ground so naturally you look to see what is inside and pick a few things up.  Without much warning the guards start to kill you because you have taken something that belongs to another player.  Now that you have died from commiting a crime the other players can loot everything you have without consequence.  Easy fix is to make a warning that you are about to commit a crime that will at least give new players a heads up on what is going to happen next.  Dunno, if I did this once I probably would not do it again.   Hence no real need for a warning IMO.  

Secondly there is a murder system and if you murder more then x amount of players your name turns red and the city guards will attack you on sight.  This is a good system however if you die as a murderer then your stats get debuffed and you have to do a grind that takes a few hours to get them back to normal.  This is a severe hindrance to new players who wish to become murderers.  It is enough that this is a full loot game and you are not allowed to buy and sell in major cities as a red player but to get a stat debuff is going too far.   Says you.  A hindrance to players that wish to become murderers??  That is what it is supposed to be!!   A couple hours grind is a major hindrance?  For a murdering player?? 

Thirdly is the thieving system.  A thief can steal from you and if you attack him he is able to kill you without getting a murder score.  There are some people on this game with over 1000 murders that have been free from murder score and they walk around in the cities all day.  This is hardly justice at all and any new player will see this as a troll game and quit once educated to this process.   Does not the first rule apply here?  If he steals will he not be attacked by guards?  I guess the rule is don't carry anything valuable with you if you are vulnerable.   The "troll game" comment made me laugh by the way.

Your post is actually very typical of why full loot PvP games like this do fail on a regular basis.   Someone always has a different opinion of what is fair and what isn't.   Nerf this but don't nerf that.

PvP MMO is niche and always will be because of the type of people that play them.   I might consider 3000 players for MO a success.  And going to Steam certainly won't hurt, in any case.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Your post is actually very typical of why full loot PvP games like this do fail on a regular basis.   Someone always has a different opinion of what is fair and what isn't.   Nerf this but don't nerf that.

PvP MMO is niche and always will be because of the type of people that play them.   I might consider 3000 players for MO a success.  And going to Steam certainly won't hurt, in any case.

My post was about why this game is failing not why full loot pvp games in general fail.  Games require quite a lot of variables to be fun and yes even full loot pvp games can be fun if the variables are done correctly.  Which is probably why they are fail in general because no one can figure out how to make them work in the current playerbase.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Players want Devs to be strong and not give in to players demands.   No matter what Devs do people will want some things to change.  Sounds like the Devs are sticking to their guns.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I'm just a little confused as to how MO can still be up and running. I'm pretty sure last time I played it, before it went free to play or had the skill cap or whatever it had maybe 50 people on at a time. Did it really boost the population enough to make it profitable enough to keep it running? I was always hoping they would get this into a state where the game wasn't a bug ridden mess, but I also remember how rampant duping materials was and that kind of killed it for me. Or the thousands of npcs that would spawn on top of eachother. Does anyone know if they actually fixed bugs?
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

My post was about why this game is failing not why full loot pvp games in general fail.  Games require quite a lot of variables to be fun and yes even full loot pvp games can be fun if the variables are done correctly.   I assume you will trot out EvE as an example here. LOL!  Which is probably why they are fail in general because no one can figure out how to make them work in the current playerbase.  Bingo!!  Give this man a cigar!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Originally posted by Panther2103
    I'm just a little confused as to how MO can still be up and running. I'm pretty sure last time I played it, before it went free to play or had the skill cap or whatever it had maybe 50 people on at a time. Did it really boost the population enough to make it profitable enough to keep it running? I was always hoping they would get this into a state where the game wasn't a bug ridden mess, but I also remember how rampant duping materials was and that kind of killed it for me. Or the thousands of npcs that would spawn on top of eachother. Does anyone know if they actually fixed bugs?

Although MO has some really really dumb things.  It also has some very unique and good features as well.  I saw a few bugs but not that many to be concerned when I was playing.  They have quite a few player built towns and hired guards and the sort.  Its very fun if you can ignore the blatant ignorance mixed with it.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Although MO has some really really dumb things.  It also has some very unique and good features as well.  I saw a few bugs but not that many to be concerned when I was playing.  They have quite a few player built towns and hired guards and the sort.  Its very fun if you can ignore the blatant ignorance mixed with it.

How is the population currently? Is there even more than 50 online? If there is I may go give it another try, I just wouldn't really enjoy a FFA full loot PVP game without more than 50 people online at once, it would feel like a super dead world.

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

Welcome to mortal Online

Its situation you describe very common

And yes each 15 people try mortal

5 quit in first hour  because lack guidance system

4 quit after one day because see how hard craft is and need do things(people expect arena game , pvp in open world without grind)

3 quit because dont have group to play(very important)  

2 quit because are bad skilled player

1 quit because got trolled ( things like thives / gank / abused / exploits)

:P

Result : none play mortal 

I like mortal i played much as can but in this day i move myself to arenas tired spend time to get my pvp

but in overall its all guys expect but dont have courage and resilience to play (like eve)

How is the population currently? Is there even more than 50 online? If there is I may go give it another try, I just wouldn't really enjoy a FFA full loot PVP game without more than 50 people online at once, it would feel like a super dead world.

If you start in tindrem then yes you will see a lot of traffic.  The world is huge so you can run around in some places all day and see 1 player at best.  Once you learn where people tend to be then the game doesn't seem so empty and once you get in one of the good guilds that helps a lot as well.  When your guild decides to attack another keep then players come out of everywhere to fight in the battle.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

MO collapsed a few months after its launch 4 years ago. Since then, they have been struggling to keep the game alive, and have barely succeeded.

However, it's a vicious circle, because without money (i.e. more players), they cannot really improve the game, but without significant improvements, MO won't get more players.

The single biggest problem faced by full-loot FFA-PVP games is that there's a large and vocal group that says they want to play that rule-set, yet quickly abandon each new game because it doesn't fit their individual ideas of what the ideal game rules should be.

Everybody wants to win more than they lose. Obviously this is not possible in the game's closed player base, so the frequent losers blame the game and leave once they realise that (yet again) they're not cutting it. Then the average players come under pressure because they're getting fewer easy wins and more losses, so they blame the game and leave. Finally, the "winners" leave because the population has dropped too low. And so on...

The recent success of H1Z1 proves that a full loot pvp mmo could exist if done correctly.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

these are hardly the major issues with the game.

yes, there is a bit of a learning curve (flagging system), and yes reds have stat loss (killing blue players indiscriminately should have consequences), and the game could have more explanations, but truly this i not why most players leave this game.

the core issues are:

1) bugs. once you play this game a while you start to notice a lot of bugs. from UI bugs, to AI bugs, to world bugs, the list is almost endless. some of them quite major pvp breaking bugs. the combat it'self is quite wonky with prediction and all, ad some lag, some node lines and it can become unplayable at times. you lose a lot of shit simply because of bugs.

2) cheaters and exploiters. SV just doesn't have the will or resources to deal harshly with cheaters. they just dont want to lose the vital subscription money, so they often turn a blind eye unless it's a major cheater or dupe and A LOT of other players make a big stink about it. players are constantly lag switching, and simply hacking. questionable use of broken mechanics is also quite rampant.

3) server instability. this one has been incredibly apparent lately with some random dude getting pissed off enough to DOS the serve, making it unplayable for days on end. SV does not have the money to buy DOS protection, and they are simply not able to counter it. every new day there is a thread from players requesting compensation for time lost due to server crashing for hours on end. this is completely rediculous for a subscription mmo that's been out for 5 years already.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

MO collapsed a few months after its launch 4 years ago. Since then, they have been struggling to keep the game alive, and have barely succeeded.

However, it's a vicious circle, because without money (i.e. more players), they cannot really improve the game, but without significant improvements, MO won't get more players.

The single biggest problem faced by full-loot FFA-PVP games is that there's a large and vocal group that says they want to play that rule-set, yet quickly abandon each new game because it doesn't fit their individual ideas of what the ideal game rules should be.

Everybody wants to win more than they lose. Obviously this is not possible in the game's closed player base, so the frequent losers blame the game and leave once they realise that (yet again) they're not cutting it. Then the average players come under pressure because they're getting fewer easy wins and more losses, so they blame the game and leave. Finally, the "winners" leave because the population has dropped too low. And so on...

I think your analogy is spot on for games like MO and Darkfall.  Everyone starts the games love them have high expectations for what they can accomplish and quickly get smeared.  Then they blame the developers and move on, dead game ensues.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

MO collapsed a few months after its launch 4 years ago. Since then, they have been struggling to keep the game alive, and have barely succeeded. However, it's a vicious circle, because without money (i.e. more players), they cannot really improve the game, but without significant improvements, MO won't get more players. The single biggest problem faced by full-loot FFA-PVP games is that there's a large and vocal group that says they want to play that rule-set, yet quickly abandon each new game because it doesn't fit their individual ideas of what the ideal game rules should be. Everybody wants to win more than they lose. Obviously this is not possible in the game's closed player base, so the frequent losers blame the game and leave once they realise that (yet again) they're not cutting it. Then the average players come under pressure because they're getting fewer easy wins and more losses, so they blame the game and leave. Finally, the "winners" leave because the population has dropped too low. And so on...

Broken and/or missing game elements/systems had no part in people leaving. Completely incompetent and corrupt management of the game really meant nothing to anyone who quit.

The reason players really left is.... the rule-set. These guys are like piranhas! They just pick up and devote time to these ... awesome .... indie-games and leave! Damn them!
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

these are hardly the major issues with the game.

yes, there is a bit of a learning curve (flagging system), and yes reds have stat loss (killing blue players indiscriminately should have consequences), and the game could have more explanations, but truly this i not why most players leave this game.

the core issues are:

1) bugs. once you play this game a while you start to notice a lot of bugs. from UI bugs, to AI bugs, to world bugs, the list is almost endless. some of them quite major pvp breaking bugs. the combat it'self is quite wonky with prediction and all, ad some lag, some node lines and it can become unplayable at times. you lose a lot of shit simply because of bugs.

2) cheaters and exploiters. SV just doesn't have the will or resources to deal harshly with cheaters. they just dont want to lose the vital subscription money, so they often turn a blind eye unless it's a major cheater or dupe and A LOT of other players make a big stink about it. players are constantly lag switching, and simply hacking. questionable use of broken mechanics is also quite rampant.

3) server instability. this one has been incredibly apparent lately with some random dude getting pissed off enough to DOS the serve, making it unplayable for days on end. SV does not have the money to buy DOS protection, and they are simply not able to counter it. every new day there is a thread from players requesting compensation for time lost due to server crashing for hours on end. this is completely rediculous for a subscription mmo that's been out for 5 years already.

Those are the 3 reasons I quit. I saw this game trending, so I looked at the changes some one posted haha, I saw alot of the bugs were fixed, but they def didnt adress the 2nd issue at all. 

• PsyckedPsycked Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by vadio123

Welcome to mortal Online

Its situation you describe very common

And yes each 15 people try mortal

5 quit in first hour  because lack guidance system

4 quit after one day because see how hard craft is and need do things(people expect arena game , pvp in open world without grind)

3 quit because dont have group to play(very important)  

2 quit because are bad skilled player

1 quit because got trolled ( things like thives / gank / abused / exploits)

:P

Result : none play mortal 

I like mortal i played much as can but in this day i move myself to arenas tired spend time to get my pvp

but in overall its all guys expect but dont have courage and resilience to play (like eve)

This guys post pretty much sums up why we cant have nice things haha. Love it. It's pretty spot on too.. if kids these days can't have their hand held in a game then they whine and quit.

I am the Cannon Fodder God

• nortoninortoni Member Posts: 48

That last reason hasn't changed either.  If you want to play the game you'll be trolled/exploited endlessly unless you become one with the exploiters.   SV won't listen; in fact you'll be told its your own fault and that your complaints are false. 

Its too bad, it would otherwise be a tolerable game with potential.  As it is, its a gank-fest for exploiters.

Its about me

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

None of these problems are anything new or unique to any particular FFA OWPvP game.  These are problems that will always be symptomatic in FFA OWPvP games. Rampant and out of control cheating, whining, trolling, exploits and broken game mechanics.  In short ... its an FFA full-loot OWPvP game, did you really expect anything different?

/end thread

Originally posted by LacedOpium

None of these problems are anything new or unique to any particular FFA OWPvP game.  These are problems that will always be symptomatic in FFA OWPvP games. Rampant and out of control cheating, whining, trolling, exploits and broken game mechanics.  In short ... its an FFA full-loot OWPvP game, did you really expect anything different?

/end thread

Cheating, exploits and broken game mechanics will, indeed, always be there.  Pre-Sarducca the game was pretty much dead; and reasonably playable.  Most of the worst violators had just plain moved on.

I doubt if SV has the staff to cope.  Right now they are more interested in denial.

In short it isn't just an "FFA full-loot OWPvP game" (that suggests that the complaints are invalid).  It is one where a conscious decision seems to have been made to defend  rampant levels of cheating, exploits and utilizing broken game mechanics as if these were somehow an inseparable part of an FFA full-loot OWPvP game.

If so it is most likely that MO will rapidly return to its Pre-Sarducca level of near death with or without Steam.

Its about me

• YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Originally posted by nortoni

That last reason hasn't changed either.  If you want to play the game you'll be trolled/exploited endlessly unless you become one with the exploiters.   SV won't listen; in fact you'll be told its your own fault and that your complaints are false. 

Its too bad, it would otherwise be a tolerable game with potential.  As it is, its a gank-fest for exploiters.

What exploit are you talking about exactly? GMs maybe slow to respond sometimes, but if you record the exploit you can send it to the staff by email and Ive seen cheaters banned this way.

My last complaint to a GM was blamed on "ping."   By the time I stopped giggling at that he had gone.  I have no such problem.

Its about me

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

these are hardly the major issues with the game. yes, there is a bit of a learning curve (flagging system), and yes reds have stat loss (killing blue players indiscriminately should have consequences), and the game could have more explanations, but truly this i not why most players leave this game. the core issues are:1) bugs. once you play this game a while you start to notice a lot of bugs. from UI bugs, to AI bugs, to world bugs, the list is almost endless. some of them quite major pvp breaking bugs. the combat it'self is quite wonky with prediction and all, ad some lag, some node lines and it can become unplayable at times. you lose a lot of shit simply because of bugs.2) cheaters and exploiters. SV just doesn't have the will or resources to deal harshly with cheaters. they just dont want to lose the vital subscription money, so they often turn a blind eye unless it's a major cheater or dupe and A LOT of other players make a big stink about it. players are constantly lag switching, and simply hacking. questionable use of broken mechanics is also quite rampant.3) server instability. this one has been incredibly apparent lately with some random dude getting pissed off enough to DOS the serve, making it unplayable for days on end. SV does not have the money to buy DOS protection, and they are simply not able to counter it. every new day there is a thread from players requesting compensation for time lost due to server crashing for hours on end. this is completely rediculous for a subscription mmo that's been out for 5 years already. 

This guy nailed it. I hate pvp mmos it is usually just zerg gank fests, with seriously mentally unstable freaks thinking that you should follow their wishes because they are guild masters ha-ha, there are quite a few of them pyscos in mortal. Anyways that is not why I quit. I loved the crafting system best ever created ever hands down. The animal breeding system was beyond anything I have seen very well done. I quit because ever 10 mins I would a fall through the world, see massive cheating, or the server would randomly go down and I would lose 20 mins to a hour of progress.

The last straw was when I got knocked off my horse, thrown over 2000 feet, died the guards attacking the guy attacking me, and that ended that. It wasent that I died and lost some of my stuff it was the guy clearly knew about bugs I had no idea about, and used them to cheat.

This game fails because that and that alone. It would be like playing lol, to find out 95 percent of the players knew how to start off with a full inventory of the best items. Yep that game would be as popular as mortal online is. The other thing that really pissed me off is, they charge for the game, and subs z plus they expect donations hahaha. Instead of fixing well known problems and bugs, they took donations to hire some one to make the characters look better.

This game is a joke, and the people who play it are all mentally unstable. So if you enjoy going into a game with a bunch of people that are boardline belonging in a mental institution do it up.
    Originally posted by YoungCaesar

Originally posted by nortoni
    That last reason hasn't changed either.  If you want to play the game you'll be trolled/exploited endlessly unless you become one with the exploiters.   SV won't listen; in fact you'll be told its your own fault and that your complaints are false.  Its too bad, it would otherwise be a tolerable game with potential.  As it is, its a gank-fest for exploiters.

What exploit are you talking about exactly? GMs maybe slow to respond sometimes, but if you record the exploit you can send it to the staff by email and Ive seen cheaters banned this way.

No you haven't. They don't ban players on here, they accept donations, and give favors all the time. As the saying goes video or it didn't happen.
  • MeowingtonMeowington Member UncommonPosts: 20
    @makasouleater69  The gm themself, are corrupted, and hooked tons of people in the past with spawned stuff and they never removed any of it, even after firing the gm. They never took the time, to see WHAT he spawned, and to delete it..

also. No need videos to get a player banned. Ive seen people get banned, Because 3-4 players from a same guild, opened a ingame ticket in the hacking section, and 3-4 accuse one same person.

That person gotten banned, only on the speculations, cause the gm thought  3-4 person wouldnt all lie at once to get another player banned..

Stupidity.