Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - The Daily Business of a Trader (All you ever wanted to know about Cargo)

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14677-Design-Cargo-Interaction

An in-depth look at cargo interaction in Star Citizen. An essential part of the business of being a trader in this game.

"To date, Star Citizen’s Arena Commander module has put much of the focus on pure action: the thrill of deep space dogfighting. While space battles are a core element of the Star Citizen experience, they are the beginning and not the end of creating a vast, interactive world. And one of the next, most important steps is developing a cargo system that allows players to more fully interact with their environment than any previous space game.

On first consideration, making cargo sexy might seem like a difficult challenge. The excitement of combat is self-explanatory, while shipping goods from star to star is a different kind of challenge, potentially more of a slow burn. The average pilot would be forgiven for having more interest in a dogfighting module than a cargo demo… but the reality is, cargo is deeply important to expanding Star Citizen’s gameplay. Whether you’re using it to customize your environment, to build a shipping empire or to run black market goods from Advocacy patrols, a comprehensive cargo system is going to enable Star Citizen to build a real world full of varied gameplay opportunities.

How do we do it? In the past, space games have solved this problem by separating the player from what was being transported. Shipping a load of tungsten in Privateer or hydrocarbons in Freelancer meant selecting an icon in a menu and being told your ship had been loaded with that particular good. For Star Citizen, we wanted to do more than just give you a cargo manifest; it stood to reason that in our First Person Universe, you would need to be able to fully interact with whatever you happen to be shipping! With this in mind, we’ve set out to create a system that allows for maximum interaction directly with in-game objects."

Have fun

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Will be interesting to see if this actually translates into enjoyable, meaningful gameplay especially when you consider most gamers get irate having to click buttons let alone doing (in-game) menial work. I like the idea as long as it's not complexity for complexity's sake.
  • beat_downbeat_down Member UncommonPosts: 46

I don't understand what this game is suppose to be. I read their forums and all I saw are people trading ships. For a game that isn't even out. And spending $100s of real dollars to boot.

I've concluded it's just a space truck driving simulator.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by beat_down

I don't understand what this game is suppose to be. I read their forums and all I saw are people trading ships. For a game that isn't even out. And spending $100s of real dollars to boot.

I've concluded it's just a space truck driving simulator.

There is A LOT more to that game. Its a bit like saying Skyrim is a swordfight simulator.

I recommend this player run page:

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Have fun

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

damn, this is the most awesome thing I´ve read about a game feature in a long time

GRABBY HANDS

love the prototype videos, can´t wait to grab my cargo and put it somewhere else, then flip a physically correct behaving coin

10/10 would grab again

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

I am also impressed by the "Grabby Hands" videos. Nice fine control while handling objects.

Seems like others liked the Cargo Concept and MISC Hull A-E ships too ...

80 million !   :-)

Have fun

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Boarding and stealing cargo will be pretty immersive with this technology, imagine tieing up the crew and pulling out the cargo through the airlock while the victims are watching, that´s quite humiliating I guess, maybe I should become a pirate after all :D