Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If You Are On The Fence: Steam Sale

13»

Comments

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    Nitth said:

Originally posted by 430005
    Originally posted by Nitth Come to tokyo. Show me, I want to see.

I can show you how i do 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3 in Tokyo? Rotations are a part of this game. Get over it.

Nah seriously, Show me how you can just go 1,1,1,1,1,2,3 and not die.

You know, I still see the whole "oh combat is just 1,1,1,1,2,3 from many people, and it amuses me, for two reasons.

1. In most any other MMORPG, especially at the beginning, you are spamming the same 2-3 numbers (or same attacks if it's "action combat"), because it's the beinning of the game, and no one has that much to work with yet. So, it's curious that for some reason, it's suddenly some huge problem for these people in TSW. It comes across, to me, as a kind of lie by omission. Yes, you *can* only spam 1,1,1,1,1,2,3 in TSW if you want. You can try to do that all the way up the ladder. The game gives you the freedom to do that. But you're going to suck, and you're going to get your ass handed to you. Repeatedly.

2. I recently started over in TSW. I'm at QL 2/3, still in Kingsmouth, and my Rotation already looks something like 7 (opening attack on stronger mobs, since it roots them), 1,2,1,2,1, 4, 5, 1,2,1,2,1, 6 - or some combination there of. I'm working on an Ele/Blood Affliction build, and I have my actives and passives set up to stack as much Affliction as I can directly (1 and 2 are my direct Affliction attacks), my finishers are set up either to directly take advantage of Affliction (via passives), or I have passives in place that increase the Affliction damage, plus duration.

That's on a QL 2/3 character. So, anyone who says "combat is just 1,1,1,1,1,2" is either lying, or simply haven't bothered to learn how to properly use the combat system.

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Best storylines in any MMO ever made.
  • cyranacyrana Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Love the storylines in this game - amazing imho. :)  However, if they could have used the team that did Age of Conan's character creation and animations it would have been so much better.  Instead it has poor animations, relatively poor combat, and there aren't many attractive faces to work with.

However, combat isn't a super simple rotation unless you're wearing great gear and fighting trash mobs around the world.

Ningen wa ningen da.
    ----
    http://twitter.com/Ciovala

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

MitovoGames said:
    You know, I still see the whole "oh combat is just 1,1,1,1,2,3 from many people, and it amuses me, for two reasons. [...]
    :wink:  I once posted the very same argument, without any success... or not, if you count as "success" that in the heat of the thread I got my very first (and still this day the only) mod warning :lol: 
    MitovoGames said:
    2. I recently started over in TSW.
    I too started a new character a few months ago, not rushing ahead so still not in Tokyo (and no AEGIS). I don't believe in "set-in-stone" rotations, but even the basic, core order of my current deck, if nothing happens which needs to react, is 1 1 3 1 1 3 1 3 2  - with the option for anything might popping up (a large AoE, a buff, incoming adds, etc) I have a direct self-heal, an AoE debuff, an AoE interrupt, and an "oh-shit" ability :wink: 
    two of those have a quite short cooldown, so I used to fire them frequently anyways, mixed into those 1-3 abilities. Add into that the moving and dashing, later the Aux weapon, a bit more later the AEGIS... yep, the 5x1 then 2, 3 is an amusing opinion indeed.

Actually, I saw a utility deck once, I'm not saying it could be viable in every situation, but it was admittedly created only for the fun - and to counter that amusing view...
    Deck had a selfheal, and besides that just abilities with short (less than 20sec) cooldown, so it was like any support character in other games: fire up all the skills on the enemy, then running around and dodging / selfhealing while cooldown, repeat :lol:  no building and consuming, if that is a so horrible concept to some folks.
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Amjoco said:
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Play it for a few months of awesome fun. 

You could also not use google at all to complete missions and it would take way longer! Well, at least it would for me. The puzzles and figuring things out is very challenging. 

I think that's part of the problem with the game.  So much effort went into those investigation missions with the expectation that players would spend countless hours solving them.  Unfortunately most MMO players will run to a guide at the first sign of trouble, thus cutting a significant chunk of content from their game. 
    edited June 2016
    Jonnyp2 said:

I think that's part of the problem with the game.  So much effort went into those investigation missions with the expectation that players would spend countless hours solving them.  Unfortunately most MMO players will run to a guide at the first sign of trouble, thus cutting a significant chunk of content from their game. 
    Ehhh... that's not really true at all.

For one, Investigation missions, the ones referred to here, account for a very small % of the overall content in the game. For example, there's 65 or 66 total missions in Kingsmouth, and only 6 are Investigation missions. There's 46 total missions in The Shadowy Forest, and only 4 are Investigation missions. City of The Sun God has 52 missions overall, and only 2 are Investigation. And so on.

So, while the missions themselves can take more time to complete, saying they "cut a significant chunk of the content from their game" is overstated, to put it mildly. They account for a negligible % of the overall mission content in TSW. You could avoid them altogether and not be left wanting for things to do, at all. Still, they are content, and they are enjoyed by those who choose to solve them without using guides, regardless of what others may do.

Frankly, if you're going to play a MMO like TSW and treat it like any other, typical theme-park by using walk-throughs for everything, then for crying out loud... just go play a typical themepark, because you're undermining one of the best reasons to play TSW in the first place. It's like going to an Italian restaurant and ordering a ham and cheese sandwich on white bread.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    As usual, alongside the steamy sale FC put up a similar one: https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?96898-Matching-Steam-Sale-TSW-Ulimate-Complete-Edition

Seems the Complete edition is still exclusively at their own site (Gabe only has the Ultimate), on the other hand steam now offers the Collector's Edition of the Issues for half price. I call it a draw between the two :wink:
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    The combat isn't really worse than that of Wildstar which is ok-ish.

However, combat with a builder system is a stupid idea - period
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    The combat isn't really worse than that of Wildstar which is ok-ish.

However, combat with a builder system is a stupid idea - in my opinion
    FTFY :)