Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unpleasant Community?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
So I've been playing Shroud of the Avatar and I'm hyped on Ultima, having flashbacks to Ultima IV when I was 12 years old.  I decided to try UO for the first time.  I logged on to the most populated server (Atlantic I think) and asked some game-related questions in general chat.  To my surprise, I was laughed at and insulted by a couple of the five or so people who seemed to actually be using the channel.  One guy was actually helpful.  Is this what I can expect of the UO community?  In a game this venerable, I expected to find a mature group of vets who would be kind to a new player.  And no, I'm not new to the internet or MMO's!

Comments

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    So I've been playing Shroud of the Avatar and I'm hyped on Ultima, having flashbacks to Ultima IV when I was 12 years old.  I decided to try UO for the first time.  I logged on to the most populated server (Atlantic I think) and asked some game-related questions in general chat.  To my surprise, I was laughed at and insulted by a couple of the five or so people who seemed to actually be using the channel.  One guy was actually helpful.  Is this what I can expect of the UO community?  In a game this venerable, I expected to find a mature group of vets who would be kind to a new player.  And no, I'm not new to the internet or MMO's!

No, there is a very healthy and helpful community on the Atlantic shard. However, there are the trolls that either hang around bank sitting all day talking trash or some of the PvP crowd. That can't another game to enjoy. UO has always been about the drama and that still remains. It's has a good community but you have to find the one you fit into. 

Very similar to Eve Online.

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131

I cannot say the same, I played the trial for 15 days and I loved the game and its community, there was a kind gentleman that told me he was everyday standing in the bank just to meet new players and give them a bag with money and starting gear. Another gentleman transported to a place with several mounts and told me to choose one and i did it, he gave me the mount i chose. I cannot say the same about the community they were helpful and very kind. I think that is like the world we live, good people and bad people, you just had bad luck and stumbled upon the incorrect people. Peace.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

I know this is old, but you were in the wrong channel. Next time join the help channel. General is usually filled with the insane people who think uo pvp means something ha-ha. They take them selves way to seriously. They are the minority though, they just take over the chat because most just leave it. If you run around and meet people you will find better ones.