Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am sorry but FFXIV: A Realm Reborn should not charge its expansions.

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Most of the OP's opinions are eh at best. I'll only pick on some though. The voice acting is half-arsed imo since they dont use it consistently. Poor choice of what is important to voice act and what isn't. I'm sure the story is great, but in an imo I dont feel like reading blocks and blocks of text and then randomly get voices when it makes no sense why its there and not everywhere else. Queuing as a dps....LIKE EVERY GAME....just do something else while you wait or "Fate Grind." Granted they are lazy not allowing you to be able to have your chocobo out while you queue so you can at least level it and make solo'ing a bit easier while you wait. But as far as solo, as someone said before, just get good lol. You probably wont be able to solo boss mobs as many dps other than smn but just play it smart or something else. Half arsed rested exp system which only works on levels and not based off of actual exp gain. This game has a lot of potential but executes many things half-way, such as the rested exp system mentioned before, their "sync" system (rift dos this way better sadly), map activities (again rift does it better since you can get exp when you go into instance or leave the zone. FFXIV only rewards you if you are in the zone.), and they could use more voice acting. SE isn't new to the gaming scene and a lot of this stuff just shows either inexperience on their new team's part or just being cheap. The expansion is a step in the right direction though and I think Yoshi-P is doing a good job with his ideas. I'd rather have an mmo that imcorporates half-arsed ideas vs one that tries to copy every element of wow. Why play a WoW clone when you can just play wow....and now for semi-free!
  • GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359

you and me are not the judge of this matter. whether you or i like something enough to consider it worthy of subscription or not doesn't matter. what matters is they managed to make it happen. does that make them worthy? no. does that make them Not worthy? again no. opinions. just like how the fact that WoW is the most famous MMO doesn't make it the best mmo made ever. it is all opinions.

also all games have problems and all games overpromise things. doesn't mean they shouldn't charge for new content.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279
    I stopped playing FFXIV a year ago. They added a cash shop?!?! That is really surprising!

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• XImpalerXXImpalerX Member UncommonPosts: 606

Not gonna post my reasons as it's already been said, but I love the game and disagree with the OP.

You can change the cutscene audio to different languages. I have them set to Japanese, but you can also choose German or French.

Japanese is where its at though, especially if you like Anime.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

The game offering the most value for the money in the industry (especially considering the size of the playerbase) is not offering enough value to charge for it's expansions?

The more I read the posts in this forum the more I am reminded of the early WoW days of complete denial of the game's continued success.

TL;DR: The OP hates value with a passion.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • gasperkgasperk Member Posts: 84

FFXIV actually brings TONS of content and they give players value for their money. 

WoW does simply not. What ever they release lately is mediocre. And they dont even release much. Its just so SAD.

FFXIV deserves to charge for this expansion. No question about that.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

Ohhh man, Op. I do not even know where to begin with this one. Let me just say this, to me FF14 is the ONLY mmorpg that actually has a right to charge for a subscription or expansions. Seeing how they add tons and tons of high quality, almost bug free content at a breakneck speed, WoW pales in comparison. Just look at how much is being added with just this ONE expansion, it is like 3 WoW expansions roled into one and you pay just once. I am all against lame comparisons but since you brought it up here you have it, the rest of your 'reasons' ? I won't even debate them, you do not like the game, lets just keep it at that, may you find another game (WoW dare I say) that you can thoroughly enjoy.

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I think FFXIV ARR actually is one of the games I would easily without thinking about it based on their content pay for it. The game is totally worth it. 

• BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Originally posted by Ghavrigg

"FFXIV should not charge for expansions because people who don't like it won't buy it." :P

For people who enjoy the game, they're adding in as much if not more content than the base game. That's well worth the money.

To be fair, they are adding no NEW content. They are adding more of the existing boring content. Yay, new tokens for 1 whole new armor set with stat +1 and areas that serve no purpose other than backdrops for fates/hunts with mobs no one ever kills.

I was hoping for new content like FFXI introduced:

1. Dynamis
    2. Voidwatch
    3. Limbus
    4. Conquest
    5. Besieged
    6. Assaults
    7. Meeble Burrows
    8. Einherjar
    9. ...the list goes on
    Where is the truly NEW and original content. All they have is a capped token grind and WOW raid end game. This expansion is not worth the money and the game is not worth a subscription to me because playing 3-6h a week is not worth $15 a month.

• The_WickedThe_Wicked Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I had fun leveling to 50 but after that it got boring to me too. You know what i did? I quit, didn't bitch about it i just left and i feel like i got my monies worth because i did. Expansions cost money to build and implement for one and for two it doesn't make sense that you don't like the game but want the expansion for free.
  • tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297

First and foremost, everyone and I mean EVERYONE is entitled to their opinions.  OP you did nothing wrong by stating your's here.  Please ignore all the ignorant replies to your post.  People chill for crying out loud.

People get pissed off when someone creates a post that just says 'I hate that game" and then replies come in, why why why??  In your case you stated why and people still ignorantly comment on your post.  Then the same people wonder why the MMO society gets a bad rap.  Duhhh, maybe everyone should just calm down with the negative replies.

In short OP, the most fun I had in the game is when I joined a guild (Free Company in FFXIV).   A lot of the things you don't like become minor when you are having fun with friends.  If you are playing solo, then those things you mentioned can be frustrating.

If you want to play solo, I would suggest another game maybe, if you want to give this game another try, then absolutely join an FC, you'll have more fun and more importantly, the main reason to play MMOs in the first place, imho, to make friends.

Hope you have fun in whatever you play.  

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516

you make me think something: i have go eat to this new restaurant last night with my wife and this was not totaly bad but not realy good and it make me think of 2 others place who serve the same kind of food realy close who are realy better.

so im going to my question: do you think they should stop charge price for the food and go : come eat there for free because we are not the best restaurant in the world ?

this sound stupid no ? well you are asking the same for a okay game you dont like

taste man and preference, and im going add something totaly crazy you cant even start to understand curently

: not everyone like the same game,people got taste and they are all not the same !! crazy right ?

maybe your best book you are reading curently,but probably you dont read book, someone next to you HATE IT !! how that possible you ask ?

he not you !!

think about it young padanwan when you explore your favorite game named wow next time

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

To me, FFXIV;ARR is one of the few games i am actually willing to pay for expansions, imo they do represent good VFM, and if it encourages them to make even better future expansions, then i am totally up for that.

FFXIV;ARR is a hugely popular game, and while it might not be the next WoW, it is a game that has all the factors that give a game a certain amount of longevity, something more recent MMO's have singularly failed at tbh, and even better, no P2W cash shop or game mechanics image

More paid for game expansions, bring it on image

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by tort0429

First and foremost, everyone and I mean EVERYONE is entitled to their opinions.  OP you did nothing wrong by stating your's here.  Please ignore all the ignorant replies to your post.  People chill for crying out loud.

People get pissed off when someone creates a post that just says 'I hate that game" and then replies come in, why why why??  In your case you stated why and people still ignorantly comment on your post.  Then the same people wonder why the MMO society gets a bad rap.  Duhhh, maybe everyone should just calm down with the negative replies.

In short OP, the most fun I had in the game is when I joined a guild (Free Company in FFXIV).   A lot of the things you don't like become minor when you are having fun with friends.  If you are playing solo, then those things you mentioned can be frustrating.

If you want to play solo, I would suggest another game maybe, if you want to give this game another try, then absolutely join an FC, you'll have more fun and more importantly, the main reason to play MMOs in the first place, imho, to make friends.

No one is "entitled" to anything really, and opinions will always be challenged, especially if others view them as biased, ill-thought out, or unreasonable.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by Kyleran

No one is "entitled" to anything really, and opinions will always be challenged, especially if others view them as biased, ill-thought out, or unreasonable.

But you just voiced your 'opinion', so you must think you are entitled, no? And I agree, opinions should be challenged, hence a discussion forum, but most of these are not challenging the ops points, some do, but most don't.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Kyleran

But you just voiced your 'opinion', so you must think you are entitled, no? And I agree, opinions should be challenged, hence a discussion forum, but most of these are not challenging the ops points, some do, but most don't.

The issue is that most of his list not opinions, but rather things he is stating as facts of the way the game is and how it is designed, and they are pretty much all incorrect.

For example saying he was "forced" to skip cutscenes due to being "forced" to group with people speed running. Neither is true. Nobody can force you to skip the cutscenes, and nobody is forcing you to group with randoms who are speed running. Join an FC / make some friends and run things at your own pace. That is nothing unique to FFXIV.

Same with the fate grinding. He speaks as if he has played since ninja came out, yet if he had played at all since the first update he would be aware that fate grinding is not the most efficient way to level anymore and you can level much faster with dungeons. Unless of course youre just plain bad and cant complete them at a decent rate. Which tbh it sounds like he is from his claim that 99% of pugs were wipes. Im thinking it was 99% of his, because of a specific weak link in the group.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Bascola
    Originally posted by Ghavrigg

"FFXIV should not charge for expansions because people who don't like it won't buy it." :P

For people who enjoy the game, they're adding in as much if not more content than the base game. That's well worth the money.

To be fair, they are adding no NEW content. They are adding more of the existing boring content. Yay, new tokens for 1 whole new armor set with stat +1 and areas that serve no purpose other than backdrops for fates/hunts with mobs no one ever kills.

I was hoping for new content like FFXI introduced:

1. Dynamis
    2. Voidwatch
    3. Limbus
    4. Conquest
    5. Besieged
    6. Assaults
    7. Meeble Burrows
    8. Einherjar
    9. ...the list goes on
    Where is the truly NEW and original content. All they have is a capped token grind and WOW raid end game. This expansion is not worth the money and the game is not worth a subscription to me because playing 3-6h a week is not worth $15 a month.

Yeah, Tank & Spank: The Game had really original contents all the time. Sure, the content & gating mechanics were different but the combat encounters mostly played out using the same old, tired, unbalanced formula. FFXIV is the complete opposite, with more varied encounter mechanics being introduced constantly but with the overall content & gating mechanics being the same. FFXI is like "look guys, you need to /kneel to win this fight! And this monster might just charm one of the players! Such innovation and it only took us 7 years to get to this point"

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

Originally posted by drivendawn

All I see here is that its not XI play style and end game so I don't like it. Hey thats fine this game isn't for you then but for people who like this style it is well worth it. Lets see 8 new lvling dungeons, alexander raid, what ever is taking the place of crystal tower, large scale fates, hunts, 3 new jobs, new playable race, main story, side story and on and on.  Also to the underlined, there will be plenty more than just one set of armor at end game and the areas are used for questing, dailies, gathering and plenty of other things. You just don't like that you don't camp mobs to lvl in this game thats all.

I said its not for me. I am perfectly happy to play on free weekends. For me it is not worth paying a monthly sub if i can do most of it in free weekends due to the caps. I am legacy, i have all jobs, 2 relics, story line done, coil up to 9, boring token gear, crafting classes maxed and 2 with relics. This has nothing to do with camping mobs. The game is just boring and gated to hell.

It's Not for me, no money from me, free weekends are enough to catch up. You keep paying the monthly fees for me. /smh

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Yeah, Tank & Spank: The Game had really original contents all the time. Sure, the content & gating mechanics were different but the combat encounters mostly played out using the same old, tired, unbalanced formula. FFXIV is the complete opposite, with more varied encounter mechanics being introduced constantly but with the overall content & gating mechanics being the same. FFXI is like "look guys, you need to /kneel to win this fight! And this monster might just charm one of the players! Such innovation and it only took us 7 years to get to this point"

What encounter mechanic? Dodge the red circles? The content is boring and all encounters are tank and spank in FFXIV too, the only difference is that you need to memorize the phases, like playing simon says or memory. Really innovative. Takes a good group 1h to learn the phases then content becomes trivial because its EXACTLY THE SAME EVERY TIME DOWN TO THE MILLISECOND.

Dont get me started on spells: KILL IFRIT THE FIRE GOD WITH: >>>> FIRE SPELL SPAM!

Most idiotic thing i have ever seen.

/smh

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I'm not playing at the moment, because I came back to ESO.  However, I found FFXIV a fun game and worth the money.  Will return.

I self identify as a monkey.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

Played for a while, liked it. Got to endgame and saw no reason to continue playing. I will say, if you dont like the game OP dont bother with it, I wont. I seriously doubt I will return for the new expansion. Also, you stated your opinion and I think they were solid points but they mostly point in the direction of you not liking the game, not the game itself.

From what I've seen FFXIV is hit or miss. Some people love it and some people hate it. We just happen to be the latter.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I said its not for me. I am perfectly happy to play on free weekends. For me it is not worth paying a monthly sub if i can do most of it in free weekends due to the caps. I am legacy, i have all jobs, 2 relics, story line done, coil up to 9, boring token gear, crafting classes maxed and 2 with relics. This has nothing to do with camping mobs. The game is just boring and gated to hell.

You are not being truthful. You PM'd me and asked what game I was playing that had all this non combat content I enjoy. Then when I told you you said "oh yeah I did all of that, its boring" but of course you wouldn't tell me your character name because thats something you "just dont do"

I can tell you are lying because there are no relics for crafting classes only lucis. And if anyone had actually done all of the things in this game that you claim you have done, you would be a super fan. Instead you're trying to say you achieved more than most of the hardcore player base and you were bored to tears the whole time. Right.

Of course you can always back up these fantastic claims with a little proof. I don't know anyone who breezes through everything the game offers on a free weekend so you would be some kind of pro gamer right?

right.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

All I see here is that its not XI play style and end game so I don't like it. Hey thats fine this game isn't for you then but for people who like this style it is well worth it. Lets see 8 new lvling dungeons, alexander raid, what ever is taking the place of crystal tower, large scale fates, hunts, 3 new jobs, new playable race, main story, side story and on and on.  Also to the underlined, there will be plenty more than just one set of armor at end game and the areas are used for questing, dailies, gathering and plenty of other things. You just don't like that you don't camp mobs to lvl in this game thats all.

It's Not for me, no money from me, free weekends are enough to catch up. You keep paying the monthly fees for me. /smh

lol point still stands, its plenty for people who like this style of game play. Also you so in my faced me with the underlined childish remark. >.>  XI was very gated as well remember the limit breaks from lvl 50 to 70 now that was some gating. I get on 15 to 20 hour a week and have plenty to do but hey if end game is all that matters to you more power to ya.

What encounter mechanic? Dodge the red circles? The content is boring and all encounters are tank and spank in FFXIV too, the only difference is that you need to memorize the phases, like playing simon says or memory. Really innovative. Takes a good group 1h to learn the phases then content becomes trivial because its EXACTLY THE SAME EVERY TIME DOWN TO THE MILLISECOND.

Dont get me started on spells: KILL IFRIT THE FIRE GOD WITH: >>>> FIRE SPELL SPAM!

/smh

Someone is mad. The alternative to the underlined is Ifrit is vulnerable to Ice, so spam that over and over because its the most effective thing. There are many different mechanics not just red circles like when fighting Diablo boss with the doors mechanic.  You have to open the correct ones so you don't take massive damage and yes once you know the mechanics it gets easier but that can be said for most games including XI.

Interesting read, the only thing I dont see is job versatility. Regardless of how "complex" or whatever people think XI was, the classes were very versatile compared to XIV. Yoshi-P kind of locked himself in a corner with the whole "Weapon-specified" classes. Most of the fun in XI came from how diverse you could take down content and with what weapon choice. Sure a warrior could use a great axe and excel at that, but they could also use a great sword or two axes etc to change it up from the rest of the crowd. If it was better or not is kind of irrelevant, but players had a choice. Also listing odin fight was a poor choice since odin is easy, probably delve or something would be better since a lot of people can't stun or recognize pattern changes in regards to %. For most players (or at least the ones I talk to), the hardest transition from XI to XIV is how gear is. XI was unique cause it had gear that was usually good for something, like sets for certain abilities or spells. XIV is just "replace this so you can replace something else." I would say its like wow but at least wow has gear that can modify and/or enhance certain abilities. I'm sure that will change once the cap gets higher but right now its not really anything more than a subpar wow-clone with some XI elements. I'm still excited for heavensward since they'll have flight, which will probably have a lot of restrictions but till WoW adds flight to Draenor (which everyone knows they will eventually), it'll do.

Originally posted by Foomerang

You are not being truthful. You PM'd me and asked what game I was playing that had all this non combat content I enjoy. Then when I told you you said "oh yeah I did all of that, its boring" but of course you wouldn't tell me your character name because thats something you "just dont do"

I can tell you are lying because there are no relics for crafting classes only lucis. And if anyone had actually done all of the things in this game that you claim you have done, you would be a super fan. Instead you're trying to say you achieved more than most of the hardcore player base and you were bored to tears the whole time. Right.

Of course you can always back up these fantastic claims with a little proof. I don't know anyone who breezes through everything the game offers on a free weekend so you would be some kind of pro gamer right?

right.

I am a big FF fan and still play FFXI, Played FFXIV from the start since i was legacy. I stopped paying for FFIXV end of December when sub ran out and i realized that nothing changes only the token names.

I call them relics because they are the relics for crafting classes. You can call them whatever, that's what me and the FC call it and you seem to have understood it too.

I don't share my info for privacy reasons. You can believe me or not, that's up to you but if you really honest you know that you can breeze through the content in the free weekends which usually are 4-5 days. You can max a class in a couple hours. The new Jobs they add in the expansion are even starting at 30! Talk about easy mode.

I have a Free Company and friends that i play with on these weekends of cause. Solo it might be a little more difficult.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

/smh

its not for you , however u cleared 2 raids and have 2 relics (that TAKE A WHILE to farm , more than free weekends yet u have 2? ) , and how u did the story quest line that was implemented last week if u arent subbed? im sure u have more /played than most , yet here u are saying "its not for me..." 

ifrit fire spell spam? , tell that to Ragnaros and fire mages/ele shamans ;)  gameplay goes 1

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang  

Originally posted by Bascola I said its not for me. I am perfectly happy to play on free weekends. For me it is not worth paying a monthly sub if i can do most of it in free weekends due to the caps. I am legacy, i have all jobs, 2 relics, story line done, coil up to 9, boring token gear, crafting classes maxed and 2 with relics. This has nothing to do with camping mobs. The game is just boring and gated to hell.
      You are not being truthful. You PM'd me and asked what game I was playing that had all this non combat content I enjoy. Then when I told you you said "oh yeah I did all of that, its boring" but of course you wouldn't tell me your character name because thats something you "just dont do" I can tell you are lying because there are no relics for crafting classes only lucis. And if anyone had actually done all of the things in this game that you claim you have done, you would be a super fan. Instead you're trying to say you achieved more than most of the hardcore player base and you were bored to tears the whole time. Right. Of course you can always back up these fantastic claims with a little proof. I don't know anyone who breezes through everything the game offers on a free weekend so you would be some kind of pro gamer right? right.
    I am a big FF fan and still play FFXI, Played FFXIV from the start since i was legacy. I stopped paying for FFIXV end of December when sub ran out and i realized that nothing changes only the token names.

I call them relics because they are the relics for crafting classes. You can call them whatever, that's what me and the FC call it and you seem to have understood it too.

I don't share my info for privacy reasons. You can believe me or not, that's up to you but if you really honest you know that you can breeze through the content in the free weekends which usually are 4-5 days. You can max a class in a couple hours.

I have a Free Company and friends that i play with on these weekends of cause. Solo it might be a little more difficult.

Thats fine. Just realize you have absolutely zero credibility due to your own reasons.

You can look my character up anytime: Coy Rabbit on Balmung. I have helped a few folks out on these forums who wanted to try this game. Some of them hated it after a few days, others stick around. But at least they arent going on the forums saying theyve done everything this game has to offer and its boring to them but of course I wont prove any of it you'll just have to believe me lol

right.