Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newest and Most Promising MMORPGs

I played ultima online for almost 4 years before quitting due to various reasons. {basically the newbies and whiners got their way and UO developed safe lands and sold out} Dragon empires looks like it is gonna rock but Id like to play something now and not later. Just wandering if anybody could give me and direction towards an awesome MMORPG that has recently come out or one that is coming out soon.....{beta testers please} thanks

Comments

• nalanala Member Posts: 173

I have been following Horizons for a while and can't wait for the game.  Recently got into Beta and not I want the game to come out even faster!  You should check it out....

www.istaria.com

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

Sure, Horizons say me a good game if you can get back to the promised redundancy, repetitiveness, and meer boredom. Not to mention the horridly corny graphics, and queer looking weapons.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• ZaradisZaradis Member Posts: 241

I have to agree with you Horizon is the most promising mmorpg coming out. I've read up on the game and what it's offering is incredible.

I saw that one video of the guy being the Adult dragon hovering over a village, the graphics were so beautiful.

Also there is City Of heroes which is another one i'm watching looks promising.

For the consoles XBOX has that great looking cell Shaded Game called True Fantasy Live Online, it will be interesting to see how the Voice communication works, that being the very first to my knowledge using a voice communicator.

Qoute: "I neva *ucked anybody over in my life, who didn't have it comin' to 'im, you got that? All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for no one, jou understand?" Tony Montana

Qoute: "I neva *ucked anybody over in my life, who didn't have it comin' to 'im, you got that? All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for no one, jou understand?" Tony Montana

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Depends how long you are ready to wait for the game.

Horizons seems most promising game that will actually come out this year(forget the rest promising this year they will not make it).

UO X well not very sure about it but heck i never could understand why people still play UO in this damn age  anyhow LOL.

• DesperadoDesperado Member Posts: 467

I persnoally would like to get into the City of Heroes MMORPG, but it seems as if the game has almost been forgotten about by its developers.  Either that or they simply or taking the longest freakin' time in the world to create this game.  Yeah, I know, some people will hit me with "do you know how long it takes to make a mmog?" speach- but it still seems that it's taking an extraordinary amount of time.  I don't think it'll be the most promising mmog to everyone- but I'm sure waiting for it.

"A good man knows his limits, a Great man knows he has none...."

• VindvalyaVindvalya Member Posts: 115
    Dragon Empires looks pretty cool to me. Horizons and CoH look good to of course.

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

"Either that or they simply or taking the longest freakin' time in the world to create this game. "

So long as they don't go the route of Shadowbane's trail... and suck in the beginning as much then it should be worth it. Of course Blizzard always took it's time making games too... whether they were worth the wait is another debate all on it's own. It does seem like the gaming population is doing a whole LOT of WAITING for a lot of games to be released though...

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• jordanlim4jordanlim4 Member Posts: 1

maybe you can try playing lineage 2 (korean version) as far as it is.. It looks like another Dragon empire sort of game.. promising.. and I've been playing lineage for abt 1 year + .. Well somehow its the same.. oh well its all up to you whether you wan to wait or go play some runescape..

• blakvenomblakvenom Member UncommonPosts: 12
    The Next Biggest game out there looks to be Face of Mankind. Looking at Faces of mankind, It has great potential to be the mmorpg of 2004. The game play is set to First Person and Third person as an option. Players not having a Skill system, which means no Leveling sounds great. The Economy and Story is Controlled by the players not NPC. So what we do makes a difference in the game and we are not just there taking space. That sounds like a RPG game. If you have not checked it out do so at http://www.faceofmankind.com/. They are signing up for Beta and the game is to start beta in Q4 2003 and release in 2004

• ReebdoogReebdoog Member Posts: 56
    Um...none of those Ideas are original in the least.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Well depends what you enjoyed from UO really.

If it was the economy(i know thats what held many of my old UO friends for quite a while since UO did it best) go try star wars galaxies.

The economy was created by same dudes who made the original UO and even me who is not a big fan of the economy aspect of a MMO game find it intresting.

Loads of UO players on it too .

Need at least a geforce 3 ti,1ghz processor and 512 ram to run the game though and even on that expect lag in the city on prime time.

• loxodromeloxodrome Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by Reebdoog
    Um...none of those Ideas are original in the least.

They may not be original .. But then nothing ever is..
    The point being of course is; how well can they do it, what kind of inovation, etc..
    Just becuase its been done before doesnt mean they cant do it better.

And from what ive read, as long as they dont make the same mistakes as SWG, then it could very well be a very good game. As it is right now.. there is nothing I wanna play, iv tried betas.. Trial Downloads etc.. but to be honest there is nothing out there that has all teh elements of what I whant in an MMORPG. FoM however looks like it will have a fair number of the pieces I am looking for, but then so did SWG until they sold out to the mob and released the game before it was even finished.

• DesperadoDesperado Member Posts: 467

Originally posted by loxodrome

FoM however looks like it will have a fair number of the pieces I am looking for, but then so did SWG until they sold out to the mob and released the game before it was even finished.

LOL!  I feel your pain man, there's nothing out there right now I really want to invest my time in.  Will just have to be patient until Horizons or WoW comes out.

• ReebdoogReebdoog Member Posts: 56

Same here. I'm just testing everything I can and waiting for one that strikes my fancy. Horizons still needs work IMO. Maybe after another update or two...we'll see.

UXO is different...very different. Thing is it might also be very fun. Will it be a true MMORPG? Meh..not in the sense we all know. More like a mix between MMORPG and Diablo. Sounds like an interesting concept. I'll give it a whirl.

• JustinJosephJustinJoseph Site Co-FounderMember UncommonPosts: 602

Originally posted by TMcC

I played ultima online for almost 4 years before quitting due to various reasons. {basically the newbies and whiners got their way and UO developed safe lands and sold out} Dragon empires looks like it is gonna rock but Id like to play something now and not later. Just wandering if anybody could give me and direction towards an awesome MMORPG that has recently come out or one that is coming out soon.....{beta testers please} thanks

For a huge list of games and information on each of them please check out our Games List!

----------------------------
    Justin Joseph
    -MMORPG.COM Co-Founder-
    [email protected]

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

i have to go with the rest of the crowd, i hope anyway, and say wow will own.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

• falox2003falox2003 Member Posts: 8
    i hate to tell u all but ff xi is the next best thing for this year forget about horizons and oh yes eq2 has been delayed till march 2004

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

ffxi does look pretty decent, but wow looks to be more fun and not work.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

i dont know if ill like wow or not

• lyonman24lyonman24 Member Posts: 855
    image final fantasy lost me after the very first game on nintendo. loved the first one after that went way wierd so dont think i will ever waste money on that game. i understand his story line but damn it goes way out there for satarting as a d&d type game. lol

• psibotpsibot Member Posts: 254

what I heard of ffxi is that the gameplay has been adapeted to fit Console/PS2 and many think ff fan will feel be left standing in the rain game wise.

What is more funny that a PS2 user will need a lan connection and an ISP plus some adapter this infrastructure is actualy only given if you own a PC.

Also aleast 3/4+ of console owner is said buy console for their plug and play abilities quit the opposite of the procudure getting online appart of having to enter Credit Card information which will pritty much rule out many console users in europe and other non usa counteries and so on.

So why do I mention this all well I think ffxi will be end as a nice PS2 game with some PC gamers playing it.

---
    Light laughter and sweet water to you fellow adventures.

psibot what u smokeing??

• psibotpsibot Member Posts: 254

I am smoking Unsold ffxi covers ;) hehe

No serious my opionion and lots of statements in last post are based on an interview of Richard Garriott (Lord British, uo creator) this also said overthings I think to be true like

e.g
    One of the things we discovered with Ultima Online is that even highly social players actually spend more than half of their time in the game soloing. While it might seem like an unusual thing to want to provide a single-player feel to a massively multiplayer offering, we believe it actually fits in well with activities of most players.

I think he has the right perspective on those two issues.

---
    Light laughter and sweet water to you fellow adventures.

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

I think Horizons will fail or succeed on its own.  I cant see Final Fantasy and its success or failure having much affect on a game so vastly different.

Just my opinion of course but I doubt FF will have that big of a PC following, at least when compared to other PC MMORPGS, though it may do ok on the Playstation.

As for WoW, I think its living on company reputation and pretty screen shots right now.  I havent read about anything all that exciting gameplay wise so far.  Then again WoW is a long long long way from coming out and games like EQ2, Horizons, and FF will have already established themselves or failed by the time it is live and can compete.

Its exciting to think of all the choices that will be available over the next 8 months or so...now if they would just hurry up and start coming out!

im likeing dragon empires also it looks good so far i know people that are testing wow ant say who they are they said its pretty good just needs help in some areas