Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Life is Feudal or Gloria Victis? How are they different?

RlechotRlechot Member UncommonPosts: 25
I'm looking at these two MMO's - from an outsider's point of view they seem to have similar graphics and feel to them . Can any educated people out there give an ignorant guy some info on the differences between them?

Comments

• trevanotrevano Member UncommonPosts: 17

Hi! I'll try to answer your question the best I can, though it will be from point of view of Gloria Victis player.

Both games are open-world PVP with looting system and non-target combat, with realistic Medieval-style graphics, with very limited magic or fantasy elements and deep, complex crafting. What's the difference:

Gloria Victis is a MMORPG, while LiF at the moment is developed as "Your Own", up to 64 players on private servers.

Life is Feudal has classic full loot, while Gloria Victis has quite innovative partial loot, which works really well - there is still satisfying risk vs reward but non-hardcore players can also have fun as they don't suffer as much as in full loot. This also makes the gameplay much more dynamic as you don't need to recover all your equipment if you die.

Life is Feudal's crafting is hardcore sandbox, reminding Minecraft a bit, while Gloria Victis has more classic system. This made me to choose Gloria Victis, as I don't like pure sandbox. Anyway GV's crafting seems to be really deep and complex, based on Medieval processes and it can give you a lot of fun for months, if you wish to become a master in your craft.

Life is Feudal is only PVP while GV has very enjoyable mix of PVP and PVE, which (PVE) is both challenging and engaging.

Life is Feudal, as it seems, won't have a storyline while Gloria Victis right now has some good, deep lore that will most likely evolve into mature, satisfying story.

As Gloria Victis player I'll add that the community is really focused on roleplay - it adds a lot of atmosphere to the game, even in it's early stage.

Hope I've helped you :)

• bryanettebryanette Member UncommonPosts: 41

+1 to trevano.

It simply depends if you want to play harcore medieval Minecraft up to 64 players or MMO with alot of PvE and PvP, even deeper crafting - not only based on watching progress bar entire day, but without building yet.

In the end of the day, when both games will release I think they will be totally another products like now, and that's good as they will fill both niches - Minecraft MMO and Mount & Blade/RPG MMO

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by bryanette

+1 to trevano.

It simply depends if you want to play harcore medieval Minecraft up to 64 players or MMO with alot of PvE and PvP, even deeper crafting - not only based on watching progress bar entire day, but without building yet.

In the end of the day, when both games will release I think they will be totally another products like now, and that's good as they will fill both niches - Minecraft MMO and Mount & Blade/RPG MMO

That's how it is currently - we are comparing apples and oranges at this point.

When LiF goes full MMO mode (instead of limited servers) it would be more of a fair comparison.

DMKano is correct. Maybe the best way to compare Life is Feudal: Your Own to Gloria Victus is compare videos of the two games. I don't know much about GV but there are over 43 thousand videos of LiF on youtube.

edit - Keep in mind the version Life is Feudal:Your Own is just our 64 multiplayer version and our mmo version is planned to hold 10,000. I do not know the server player limits for GV or if GV will have housing in the game world or ways to build your own settlements.

I also do not know the size of the gameworld for GV, but I can tell you for a fact it takes me about 4 hours to run completely across the mmo test server map in Life is Feudal:MMO and you can free build anywhere and place claims.

As far as crafting goes we have 86 melee weapons alone much less anything else, best way to see everything craftable is the wiki here http://lifeisfeudal.gamepedia.com/Life_is_Feudal_Wiki

In the end Life is Feudal:MMO will be a fully complete sandbox world with Mount & Blade based no target combat and of course they are both considered rpgs.

• ArchaegeoArchaegeo Member UncommonPosts: 233

Id take anything said about LiF MMO as an April's Fool joke at the moment.

Oh wait, that's what happened to those of us who invested in it early only to have the developer stop when the playtests were crashing with more than 64 people and turn it into LiF Your Own and develop that.

If you want a private server with up to 64 folks at a time, LiF Your Own is very good, and if LiF MMO ever appears again, it might be worth playing.

But for the moment, GV is the MMO, LiF:YO is counterstrike

Explorer 73% Achiever 53% Socializer 53% Killer 20%

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Originally posted by Saxx0n
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by bryanette

+1 to trevano.

That's how it is currently - we are comparing apples and oranges at this point.

When LiF goes full MMO mode (instead of limited servers) it would be more of a fair comparison.

DMKano is correct. Maybe the best way to compare Life is Feudal: Your Own to Gloria Victus is compare videos of the two games. I don't know much about GV but there are over 43 thousand videos of LiF on youtube.

edit - Keep in mind the version Life is Feudal:Your Own is just our 64 multiplayer version and our mmo version is planned to hold 10,000. I do not know the server player limits for GV or if GV will have housing in the game world or ways to build your own settlements.

I also do not know the size of the gameworld for GV, but I can tell you for a fact it takes me about 4 hours to run completely across the mmo test server map in Life is Feudal:MMO and you can free build anywhere and place claims.

As far as crafting goes we have 86 melee weapons alone much less anything else, best way to see everything craftable is the wiki here http://lifeisfeudal.gamepedia.com/Life_is_Feudal_Wiki

In the end Life is Feudal:MMO will be a fully complete sandbox world with Mount & Blade based no target combat and of course they are both considered rpgs.

blablabla is all I see.

When you have an working game like GV come tell us about it.

I could spout a load of stuff about some game I'm working on as well if you want?

• RlechotRlechot Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Thank you! All your feedback was really helpful. Just what I was after!
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 647

LiF should be renamed to Progress is Futile since all you do is watch a freakin' progress bar for hours on end! 

Joking aside... 

I think they're both the same in that they've placed too many cards on the table, too soon. There's something to be said for a certain amount of surprise when you first play a game. In both these cases, both games have been out in Alpha form for such an extended period without even entering beta that any of the surprise will be gone by their launch.

Archeage, which isn't a perfect comparison based on the type of game, had the benefit of being released overseas and tested in other languages before a NA release. When it was introduced here, it was out for a matter of months before entering beta then release. By the time either of these games sees release, we're going to have already seen all they have to offer and the players who already paid are probably going to have walked off a while back from boredom. 

I mean, I signed up for GV almost a year ago and enjoyed it for a couple of weeks but there was nothing left to "test" after that. I went back in just recently and saw maybe 2 or 3 people in chat and no other players nearby. 

I've also watched LiF videos from months ago that were active with loads of people building towns, houses, etc,. Those videos now, have died off and any updates are usually to the tune of "well, it was fun while it lasted" and involve everyone on the server leaving.

I see it with these two and I feel a plethora of other MMOs coming out are going to burn out their player base before they can ever really play the game.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    Originally posted by Lerxst

LiF should be renamed to Progress is Futile since all you do is watch a freakin' progress bar for hours on end! 

Joking aside... 

I think they're both the same in that they've placed too many cards on the table, too soon. There's something to be said for a certain amount of surprise when you first play a game. In both these cases, both games have been out in Alpha form for such an extended period without even entering beta that any of the surprise will be gone by their launch.

Archeage, which isn't a perfect comparison based on the type of game, had the benefit of being released overseas and tested in other languages before a NA release. When it was introduced here, it was out for a matter of months before entering beta then release. By the time either of these games sees release, we're going to have already seen all they have to offer and the players who already paid are probably going to have walked off a while back from boredom. 

I mean, I signed up for GV almost a year ago and enjoyed it for a couple of weeks but there was nothing left to "test" after that. I went back in just recently and saw maybe 2 or 3 people in chat and no other players nearby. 

I've also watched LiF videos from months ago that were active with loads of people building towns, houses, etc,. Those videos now, have died off and any updates are usually to the tune of "well, it was fun while it lasted" and involve everyone on the server leaving.

I see it with these two and I feel a plethora of other MMOs coming out are going to burn out their player base before they can ever really play the game.

You can turn off the progress bars and just see character animations if they bother you. ;)

• trevanotrevano Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by Lerxst

It's totally oposite to what I see everyday in Gloria Victis, because day by day I'm participating in party vs party PVP + territory control battles, where party usually counts from 7-8 up to 15 players. At the same time the rest of people on server goes for PVE in different locations and it's hard to sneak to opposite nation's town without being noticed by enemies. What server did you logged in to?

Speaking about alpha and too early access to the game's content, I disagree. Both of these games are less or more sandbox type - so the PLAYERS are co-creating their gameplay and features. You want to become a renegade? Ok, no problem, just do it - you don't need quests for it! You want to hunt down renegades? The same! Or is it your will to become well-known crafter? Ok, some of them managed to become famous through GV's community, even in so early stage of development... And by the way - there's just a scratch of planned content that developers gave the players.

These 2 games are not the themeparks - though GV aims to have good and mature storyline, just it's gameplay does the work even now. I can't say for LiF as I didn't play it but I think it's simillar. And by going on early access these 2 projects have chance to be finished, so I'm really happy that I could support one of them.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I'm hoping for success for both games.  LiF not being an MMO, currently, is really a dealbreaker imo.  Also like that GV has some PvE.  Constant PvP wears me out.  
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 647

GV's biggest issue (other than population) was its optimization. Although they've updated it, after logging in again, I still see a lot of issues with FPS drops, latency and other oddities with out of sync animations/actions. This is kind of a big deal when the game revolves around skill-based combat and instead of calculating your attack, it spends the next 3 seconds drawing in trees 50 feet away.

LiF at least was smooth and relatively lag free, although it was much more boring. 

So one one hand you have GV which feels like it was made to be an MMO with it's PvP - PvE mix, crafting, etc. and is housed on one server (per continent so far). On the other hand you have LiF which feels like a more fluid game with easy(ier) controls but is housed on limited population servers left to the whim of the player and admin base.

• bryanettebryanette Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Glad they are moving into Unity 5 already. From what I know it fixes most of those optimization issues.