Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any AAA MMORPG in development?

Doesn't seem like there are any traditional developer funded AAA MMORPGs on the Horizon.  

Do you think there are some that aren't being announce?

Do you think developers have gone back to the drawing board?

Do you think developers are waiting to see how the new type of Kickstart games pan out?

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I'm sure there's hundreds of MMO's in development in Korea and China... 
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Sure there are, they're just all in Asia.  Wildstar is likely the last AAA MMO made for the Western market we'll see for years.

Investors with deep pockets finally realized no one was going to unseat WoW in the West anytime soon so they decided to invest their hundreds of millions on projects other than failed MMOs.

The Korean and Chinese markets on the other hand are wide open with no one dominant game and because of piracy there is very little money to be made developing single player games for China so they are receiving a lot more investment.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Everquest Next?

• GeorgeNoXGeorgeNoX Member UncommonPosts: 58
    EverQuest Next is one of those, but im not sure what will come of it, if it will be any good. If Landmark is any indication, then probably no. But i always like to see the final product and try it out myself before making up my mind. Camelot Unchained might be another good one. But we will see, MMORPG scene has been kinda lacking lately  would say.
    Originally posted by DeathLives43ver
    EverQuest Next is one of those, but im not sure what will come of it, if it will be any good. If Landmark is any indication, then probably no. But i always like to see the final product and try it out myself before making up my mind. Camelot Unchained might be another good one. But we will see, MMORPG scene has been kinda lacking lately  would say.

Camelot Unchained is a kickstarter and it already looks bad.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Originally posted by Mikeha

Everquest Next?

Was thinking the same thing, but now that it's owned by some investment firm and its future is uncertain, I would be inclined to think not.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I doubt it.

They are all going to come out with Moba games trying to cash in on that cow. 

We will see more F2P games being pumped out from the Asian Sweat Shop Market but I really don't consider them AAA, just my opinion though.

The future of the genre, for me, is resting in the hands of the Indie guys for now. They are the only ones trying anything remotely new.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

For the next 5 years or so, the indie dev space is going to get a run at the genre. Here's hoping a few of them pan out. 

Joined - July 2004

All the mmos I am looking for are coming from Asia. Now that the WoW era is over the west is being exposed.image
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Nope .

Square Enix won't be making another for a long time after the stress they went through with FFXIV.

SOE is a puny cheap developer now.

Blizzard has resurrected Sierra just for the purpose of making cheap Indie games.Blizzard's last two games HOTS and HS are both super easy and cheap games to make,so you can clearly see their direction.

Trion ,not really ever a big company capable,but did make some decent money from Rift,however blew it on that Defiance effort and imo ONLY took AA as a published because they needed the money.

Zenimax Well after seeing how they actually get their money...investors,it makes sense they were never a huge player but they have done well over the years.Knowing they are  using other people's money and less of their own,means they are not willing to take much of a giant risk.I do not believe TESO has done well enough to encourage another similar investment.

Who's left with the clout to pull off a triple A game?IMO nobody.

We will see a lot more Asian type mmo's ,very superficial gaming,generated worlds,yellow markers to follow, weak crafting systems and simple trees to advance from.I have watched DEPTH be downgraded over the years for gimmicks.

We are not even seeing the CHEAP games being completed or much effort tossed into them  before they are sold off as early access or alpha sales.

I am forgetting one GIANT but they are about profits and as less likely to take risk as anyone else and that is Microsoft.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Mikeha
    All the mmos I am looking for are coming from Asia. Now that the WoW era is over the west is being exposed.image

There were plenty of asian MMOs over the years in the west.

I wonder why noone even knows/cares about them.

not

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Times are changing. Gamers will either have to settle with MOBA's, card games, some short, casual themepark rides or design, develop their own game if they want something more to experience while they are still alive. The technology and tools are there, but because the mind is the limit we are at this state. A lot, younger audiences are also enjoying these simplistic games because they've never had the opportunity to experience something greater.

At the end there will be two types of people who will do something about the current state of MMO's and gaming in general. Those who will be extremely bored and tired of dreaming and waiting on a type of game they'll realize will never come so they will start making it themselves or those who will truly become desperate for $ when the well gets dry.

Uncle Sam will continue to pump whatever it's easiest for him to pump out there as long as he sees profits. It's why I haven't spent a dime on any new game that was developed in the last 5 years because I know what we could have and I know what we have instead.

One thing is certain is there is clearly great "PvP" battle going on right now...and it's becoming more evident between us the consumers and producers. We want good product and they want our $ and I can say we've been pretty successful by how some of the last new MMORPG titles have turned out to be, yea not so "successful".

Lack of AAA MMORPG's doesn't mean lack of quality AAA MMORPG's. Sometimes it's better we have 1-2 titles come every 2-3 years that will truly separate in terms of quality from the rest, so they can further build and improve upon their success over what we've had which is many many mediocre MMO's with low populations that players are scattered across simply because there hasn't been a new "WOW" in over a decade.

Ultima Online, SWG, EVE, WOW, FFXI, Guild Wars 1...are some examples of truly innovative and different MMORPG's, which again they were all successful because of that. They didn't copy one another. WOW did copy EQ I heard, but imagine someone copied WOW but have all what WOW has 10 times more and better.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Everyone talks about all of these asian wow-like games, but I am not even seeing those or even the animeish types that were similar these days.  Either they aren't getting any play, aren't releasing in english, or do not exist.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    AAA developers have run out of ideas to copy in the MMO world and are incapable at the moment of creating anything unique on their own.  The big guys do not R&D game innovation.  They see what's big then make their own version.  There just isn't anything good for them to copy at the moment.
  • laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    Originally posted by centkin

Everyone talks about all of these asian wow-like games, but I am not even seeing those or even the animeish types that were similar these days.  Either they aren't getting any play, aren't releasing in english, or do not exist.

A huge percentage is fantasy martial art game that dont' really appear to western audience.

Many of them are just low budget pay 2 win games.  And many are maple story look like etc.