Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: The First Year

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

From launch through now, The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited had much happen during its first year, as the community got to know the game from launch and beyond and the developers decided to make both tweaks and complete overhauls. Here’s a look back.

Read more of Christina Gonzalez's Elder Scrolls Online: The First Year.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Ive been enjoying this game the second time around!

they have a done an amazing job!- and when theres a qeue time for pvp= well that just says it all on population!

=)

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

A rough start but they have turned it around.

It is my MMO of choice now and will be for the foreseeable future.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Yup same here, bought game at launch, got a refund, bought it again 5 months later and loving it still, happily subbing away, first time since wow that I've played a Mmorpg without that bag that something is missing. Just need a cheeky wee CPU optimisation for Cyril and its golden :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who feels for the most part it's been the same game all along, IMO it really wasn't as bad as suggested at launch or even beta, outside of quest bugs I'm sure most knew would get fixed. As with most MMO's simply wait out the initial rush period (3-6 months) to avoid that inevitable sour taste it almost always brings.. I'm not sure why it seems many have not learned this lesson yet.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Yeh same here. Got the pre order (3d party) lvled till vr1. Got a refund but they coudldnt close my account as 3party. But I never subbed and now when its free tried it and subbed (PLUS)it for 2 months with a prepaid card (18euro) and enjoying it. But I must say lvlving veteran ranks is a pain. Must be a bit faster.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Wildstar needs to swallow its pride and do the same thing. Its already an after thought in the mmo market.
  • Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Originally posted by Distopia

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who feels for the most part it's been the same game all along, IMO it really wasn't as bad as suggested at launch or even beta, outside of quest bugs I'm sure most knew would get fixed. As with most MMO's simply wait out the initial rush period (3-6 months) to avoid that inevitable sour taste it almost always brings.. I'm not sure why it seems many have not learned this lesson yet.

You aren't the only one, it's the same game it was a year ago.  Probably one significant content update since (as opposed to system changes), combat is still not good too me.  I guess the fickle players that quit and bashed the game because they ran into a bug are the ones returning and singing praise now, I'm happy for ESO though glad it's getting a better reception.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Dragnelus
    Yeh same here. Got the pre order (3d party) lvled till vr1. Got a refund but they coudldnt close my account as 3party. But I never subbed and now when its free tried it and subbed (PLUS)it for 2 months with a prepaid card (18euro) and enjoying it. But I must say lvlving veteran ranks is a pain. Must be a bit faster.

So you leveled all the way to VR1 and then requested a refund? That was a dick move.

• TooButchTooButch Member Posts: 4

It's the same game only nerfed to death.  Once they started nerfing fights a few weeks after launch, Doshia, the hammer never went back into the tool bag.

The game is face roll easy even in the vet ranks.  Changing the system from vet to champion has the player grinding the same content for the past six months and nothing new for months yet.  The console has to be perfect in June.  I doubt the consoles can save the game.  

I gave it the WoW treatment, deleted from my HD never to be played again.  They can give me a billion crowns and I wouldn't bother reinstalling it.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Elder Scrolls is the best choice of everything out there.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'm glad the PC players have been so kind as to pay to beta test the game for me for the past year!

Looking forward to the June launch of ESO!

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Honestly, I'm glad this game didn't do well. I'm glad Wildstar went the same way. It's not that I hated these games, but if Theme Park MMOs focusing on single player experience (aka WoW-Clones) continued to do well and make money, the industry would have no incentive to grow. 

I've been waiting for the spiritual successor of Ultima Online - a massive, open world that you can just live in. Whether it's for 8 hours a day... or just 1-2, you don't just boot up a game, do some meaningless daily chores and try to progress in a Theme Park raid or push meaningless rating in PvP: you join a world and craft your own agenda.

That's the next evolution in Fantasy MMOs - not another mindless 1-50 level grind in a world that doesn't care if you log in or not. 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    The game is doing well bud, its been out a year, most aknowledge it has made huge leaps and bounds in the last year, its massive, gorgeous, well written, great pvp, really good RP which is evolving as we speak and a million miles  away from the wow gear thrash garbage model. Its no sandbox though, sounds like that's what you are looking for.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by TooButch

It's the same game only nerfed to death.  Once they started nerfing fights a few weeks after launch, Doshia, the hammer never went back into the tool bag.

The game is face roll easy even in the vet ranks.  Changing the system from vet to champion has the player grinding the same content for the past six months and nothing new for months yet.  The console has to be perfect in June.  I doubt the consoles can save the game.  

I gave it the WoW treatment, deleted from my HD never to be played again.  They can give me a billion crowns and I wouldn't bother reinstalling it.

Great screen name "TooButch" for comments about "face roll easy"! Do you use different accounts for different moods or are all your comments about things being too soft?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I'm glad the PC players have been so kind as to pay to beta test the game for me for the past year!

You are so welcome

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568
    The B2P transition is the best thing to happen to this game. I'm loving it again, and yet not paying a sub, I don't feel "obligated" to play it, as if the clock was ticking. I've really enjoyed playing it the past week.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

So am I when I copy my character over =P one year head start!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

ANd just for you I haven't put a single bug report in.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Dreamo84

So am I when I copy my character over =P one year head start!

Same :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DeathFromAboveDeathFromAbove Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Are they taking the Vet grind away?
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,488
    Ah, got me on this one. Then I realized it was April Fool's Day. Nice one!
  • DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

To say that ESO is the same game it was at start is factually untrue. ESO has undergone a lot of polish, dramatic content updates and entire overhaul's of core dynamics. The last year has seen nothing but change and most of it applauded by the community.

Given my own impressions the ESO population has grown significantly over the last 5 months or so that I have been playing. In this regard I have to imagine that ESO has become a financially successful MMO, barring some type of mismanagement. 

Like many others I played beta and skipped release for my own reasons. ESO is not my perfect game but the story and immersion make it a very enjoyable experience for a relatively casual gamer like myself.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I remember when Doshia was hard to kill and a great challenge. Now everything is too easy but I admit the game is the best roleplaying game ever made. Still a lot of bugs in game so I expect from now till June we will be getting a lot of bug fixes. At least am hoping we do. Sad part you just can't trust ZoS to do the right thing. Lot of people stopped putting in bug reports over the way they treated us from beta to present. Don't take it wrong I do love the game, just wish I could love and trust ZoS.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    It's the best game out there and now my full time MMO. I got my title tonight "Daedric Lord Slayer".   Just about to hit VR11. So much to do solo and so much to do with groups. Lots more to accomplish and enjoy and look forward to future content. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It's OK.  It reminds me of playing SWG, some things I like about it and some things I don't. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey