Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AV has a Credibility Problem

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

As much as I love Darkfall and I have had and continue to have an active sub since EU only was around.  This game will never ever be more popular then it is today give or take a 1000 players.  Going F2P doesn't count as a success because I could give away stone kites if they were free.

This game was at its apex from a development standpoint right up until the point they decided to abolish the class system and unhook all the specialization that were done for each class.  Today in a desperate attempt to regain the small audience they had with DF1 at its peak they have removed most of what they had done and nerved everything back to DF1 type play which that version of the game attracted little to no players.

AV has a gem here (had) but have been marketing to the wrong group of players since day one.

They have in essence built ESO online, there is nothing like this game anywhere and there never will be.  Their obsession with catering to the free for all PvP full loot crowd has doomed their product from day one and kept it bottled up in its little niche of players.

This game built for a more balanced crowd with the relaunch of Unholy Wars could of been huge.  I have sat by over the years watching AV piss away amazing technology, amazing skill  and class systems catering to a few thousand players that are interested in only one thing, killing someone else at all costs.  And not losing their stuff in the process.

They had a second chance rebuilt their game for the same crowd with the same end result.  Tragic.

Its also laughable to listen to the current player base explain how this game could never work as a PVE experience because the whole game is built around PVP.   So you have someone that only understands what motivates them (a PvP only player) stating that they also understand what drives a PVE player therefore the game will only appeal to them.  It makes me laugh and cry all at the same time.

I can think of a dozen ways to make this game work in a PVE environment that still includes player versus player sieging that would offer players something that doesn't currently exist in todays market.  It would fill a market void that no other game could fill.

DF is one of the most tragic stories in the MMO world in my opinion.  They built a game for the wrong crowd (twice) and still don't realize it and continue to bail water and flounder along.

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    Originally posted by goboygo

As much as I love Darkfall and I have had and continue to have an active sub since EU only was around.  This game will never ever be more popular then it is today give or take a 1000 players.  Going F2P doesn't count as a success because I could give away stone kites if they were free.

This game was at its apex from a development standpoint right up until the point they decided to abolish the class system and unhook all the specialization that were done for each class.  Today in a desperate attempt to regain the small audience they had with DF1 at its peak they have removed most of what they had done and nerved everything back to DF1 type play which that version of the game attracted little to no players.

AV has a gem here (had) but have been marketing to the wrong group of players since day one.

They have in essence built ESO online, there is nothing like this game anywhere and there never will be.  Their obsession with catering to the free for all PvP full loot crowd has doomed their product from day one and kept it bottled up in its little niche of players.

This game built for a more balanced crowd with the relaunch of Unholy Wars could of been huge.  I have sat by over the years watching AV piss away amazing technology, amazing skill  and class systems catering to a few thousand players that are interested in only one thing, killing someone else at all costs.  And not losing their stuff in the process.

They had a second chance rebuilt their game for the same crowd with the same end result.  Tragic.

Its also laughable to listen to the current player base explain how this game could never work as a PVE experience because the whole game is built around PVP.   So you have someone that only understands what motivates them (a PvP only player) stating that they also understand what drives a PVE player therefore the game will only appeal to them.  It makes me laugh and cry all at the same time.

I can think of a dozen ways to make this game work in a PVE environment that still includes player versus player sieging that would offer players something that doesn't currently exist in todays market.  It would fill a market void that no other game could fill.

DF is one of the most tragic stories in the MMO world in my opinion.  They built a game for the wrong crowd (twice) and still don't realize it and continue to bail water and flounder along.

im sure where you get the info.. prolly your own speculations.

the first darkfall was way more successfull then the sequal..

Ill sum it a bit up in order:

1: create // buyout game design of darkfall online.. with own engine made by razorwax.

2: sell 150k boxes of the game during its lifespan. (DF1) ( yes there were alot of people intrested)

3: let darkfall 1.0 rot never give it updates ly to community

4: create a new game with a gamedesign of going mainstream. (UW)

5. Lose most of your playerbase because of bad gamedesign and less content then df1

6: start updating uw because its so "succesfull"

6 try to revert everything back to DF1 style combat(atleast they are trying) talking about waiste resources

7: complete ignore your loyal fanbase of the orginal game and ban them from the forums.

What you get is a very low population game. the sieges not only excists of less then 50v50 battles but also that the new game cant even handle 500v500 battles because of their fcked up adjustments

Most people left the place and got their life back.. thank god for that.

You should read the roll call topic on the NA topic debats(which is the so called populated server of the 2 ) clans consists of 5 actives @ prime time.. when i darkfall 1.0  there were clans over 200 people easy

the company didn't get it during df1. when they had a change to become like CCP, and will never get it

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Copperfield
    Originally posted by goboygo

im sure where you get the info.. prolly your own speculations.

the first darkfall was way more successfull then the sequal..

Ill sum it a bit up in order:

1: create // buyout game design of darkfall online.. with own engine made by razorwax.

2: sell 150k boxes of the game during its lifespan. (DF1) ( yes there were alot of people intrested)

3: let darkfall 1.0 rot never give it updates ly to community

4: create a new game with a gamedesign of going mainstream. (UW)

5. Lose most of your playerbase because of bad gamedesign and less content then df1

6: start updating uw because its so "succesfull"

6 try to revert everything back to DF1 style combat(atleast they are trying) talking about waiste resources

7: complete ignore your loyal fanbase of the orginal game and ban them from the forums.

What you get is a very low population game. the sieges not only excists of less then 50v50 battles but also that the new game cant even handle 500v500 battles because of their fcked up adjustments

Most people left the place and got their life back.. thank god for that.

You should read the roll call topic on the NA topic debats(which is the so called populated server of the 2 ) clans consists of 5 actives @ prime time.. when i darkfall 1.0  there were clans over 200 people easy

the company didn't get it during df1. when they had a change to become like CCP, and will never get it

My "speculation" comes from the "facts" of their sub numbers since launch.  People were jumping ship on this game loooooong before the stagnation period.  Your just spinning it like every other myopic DF player.  This gameworld doesn't work for the player base they build it for and it never will. Its too rich, the people playing this game want DAOC or something similar period.  There is no appreciation for the work AV has done, it is simply glossed over on the quest  to PvP.  But keep dreaming, I love reading the, "if they only add this one feature" posts "and everyone will play this game".  It just reinforces how off track AV is on their target audience.

The numbers don't lie, they are the truth.  And still AV sludge's forward on a path to nowhere with this player base.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

i disagree, AV clearly gave a long term goal and that is a focus on the sheeps (quests, events, regionalization) and with that comes PvP.

It just takes them a while

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317

AV doesnt have ANY credibility.

We went from back in 2003 with a Dagger and a Red Dragon (icon for the game and its focus, being a true sandbox) To the actual launch of the game just being a Dagger....and now all we have is not even the dagger, but unholy wars in a game that has no lore (but the devs will tell you otherwise that they have lore planed).

Darkfall is a dream that died as a whimper, lost within the eons.