Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the aggro range change later on?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

I'm still early in the game. But I can run a few feet away from zombies and they ignore me.

Literally, I'll run right by whole groups of them and unless I'm careless and get right next to them...they ignore me.

Does this change later on? As that is REALLY immersion breaking to me. I don't even have good items or anything, so that wouldn't be a reason to ignore me.

Maybe its for the new players, but...running right by a zombie and it ignores you is...game breaking for me, not to include the immersion. It makes the game not scary at all and I end up laughing the whole time as they ignore me.

Does it get any better later on? Cause...I spent 20 dollars and if the AI is this bad I don't think I'm going to want to keep playing no matter how good the story is. I'm not trying to be rude to the game...but...being a few feet away from a zombie and it ignoring me is...so terrible for me that it ruins the entire game.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• BeowulfsamBeowulfsam Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Haven't played in a while (long while), but yes, aggro range was larger in higher level areas. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Maybe it's because of the Golden Week event lag? Yesterday I was on my way towards the KM golem and literally ran through a group of zombies which were "placed" into the world right around me (not spawned, just due to the huge lag they were drawn much later than usual, I ran faster than the draw distance image the lag is massive around the golems), and they didn't aggro of course :)

But normally the range is pretty much the same as in other games. Zombies, for example have the range of approx. the street's total width. So you can run down a street without aggroing them, if you zig-zag beside them from one side of the road to the other. If you "run right by" then they'll definitely aggro. But of course there are different zombies, with different level of brain activity :) the slow ones in the cemetary has a much shorter range, the cultist zombies on the beach has wider. Same goes to other mobs, draug has a pretty wide range, ak'abs were annoyingly huge (based on personal feel, ak'ab aggro range was shortened by the New player update), spectres have the default like the regular zombie range, etc. Oh, and wisps, those mo-fo's range is long as well, I rather go around the wood to avoid them if I just travelling...

As I noticed in other games, aggro range is usually a bit shorter that the "long" attack range for range pulls, and TSW fits into this as well, the widest aggro is a bit lower than AR's range. True, with the lowered mob density, it's easier to pass by the mobs without aggro, I think.

[spoiler alert] And for immersion, TSW zombies are not regular (like Walking Dead) zombies, they're working with a purpose under firm control, not just chasing every random stranger for hours to get some launch :)

• VikestartVikestart Member Posts: 14

Don't know what you experienced, but the aggro range of individual enemies do not change..... ever.

Some types of enemies will always see you from farther away, and some will only react if you come really close.

Enemies like groups of zombies in Kingsmouth will react to your presence from very far away.

Examples of an enemy that won't react until you come really close is the solo zombies that walk really slow.

None of this changes over the course of the game though.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Seems AI aggro radius not working may have been a bug or something. After the recent patch its back to normal.

Before the patch, I'd be almost touching them and they just ignored me. I thought that may have been part of the game, because they were doing that for days (ever since I bought TSW on first day of newbie sale). I'd be so close and they ignored me.

But after the patch, now I can be across the street from them and they'll run and attack. So I guess it was a huge bug or something.

Much more fun and better now :D

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Yes aggro gets closer.  In the starter area there are some groups of zombies who will ignore you and you can stand right next to them.  Other groups will hunt you when they see you.

I'm in Blue Mountain (the third zone you to) which you will probably like cause now the mobs are very close together in some areas.  I have to grind my way from one quest point to the next because the way they are here you can't avoid them because the area is so tight.  I had to laugh at one point cause the loading screen said to remember you can move as you cast spells and stuff but I can't cause kiting means I will go from having one mob on me to having three cause they are that close together at times.  In the starter area you can take on 6 or more zombies at one time, no so much at higher levels.

Also it's easy to succeed with a bad build in the starter area, so if your build isn't well thought out you will suddenly find yourself getting killed a lot in higher zones.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by TheScavenger
    Seems AI aggro radius not working may have been a bug or something. After the recent patch its back to normal. Before the patch, I'd be almost touching them and they just ignored me. I thought that may have been part of the game, because they were doing that for days (ever since I bought TSW on first day of newbie sale). I'd be so close and they ignored me. But after the patch, now I can be across the street from them and they'll run and attack. So I guess it was a huge bug or something. Much more fun and better now :D

The aggro radius in kingsmouth used to be huge before the new player experience. Now its more tame but shouldnt be as "easy" as what you described in your origonal post.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Gr3nd3LGr3nd3L Member Posts: 3
    Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet.  Aggro range is effected by the mob's vision cone.  If they have their backs turned to you, you generally have to get fairly close for them to aggro.