Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paid Hype For Crowdfunded Game. Cool or Not cool?

will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365

Speaking from a point of view of a game who has said they needed to come to kickstarter to fund their idea, i have noticed over the last few days, that several gaming websites.. ahem are running full page ads for the kickstarter and game. Does this worry you at all? Are they just locking in your funds now instead of hyping and giving you a chance to actually beta test the game before deciding to pay money?  I have been one of the largest critics of this game.  However, i am curious on what the community's thoughts on a crowdfunded game paying for advertisement's on gaming websites? 

Comments

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Ads = more fans = more money = better game = good for me? That's how my math adds up.

You've gone way past critic at this point. Obviously we are free to say whatever we want within the rules of this site and others, but dang you sure have an ax to grind for no apparent reason.

Honestly, all I can think is that you are upset that CF is doing as well as it is despite you and other CU faithful not liking it. Can only imagine what is being said on the CU forums.

As a gamer, I'm glad when games do well. I have zero interest in Albion Online, Pathfinder Online, SOTA, Shards, Star Citizen, Trove, the list goes on and on. But I am very glad that companies are putting out products for us to enjoy.

To put this much effort into full on personal smear campaign is rather much. The amount of animosity you have to a video game and the company behind it is pretty entertaining, I'll give you that.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

The majority of their funding is not from kickstarter. They say exactly how they are funding the game on their forums, maybe you should go educate yourself before posting threads like this.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Who in their right mind would say no to free money, with very limited strings attached, things that would pretty much be in the game anyway?

If it lets them make the game with limited investors, its all good for the game in the end. If you own 80% of the company, instead of 50%. You do not need to cater to everyone, but it might be tempting to do so. We have seen some of this so far when it comes to Crowfall. I expect more to come, but well a game can only be so niche to survive.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by will75

Speaking from a point of view of a game who has said they needed to come to kickstarter to fund their idea, i have noticed over the last few days, that several gaming websites.. ahem are running full page ads for the kickstarter and game. Does this worry you at all? Are they just locking in your funds now instead of hyping and giving you a chance to actually beta test the game before deciding to pay money?  I have been one of the largest critics of this game.  However, i am curious on what the community's thoughts on a crowdfunded game paying for advertisement's on gaming websites? 

I think its a great move. The game is only in the know of people who follow MMO games daily so any chance to get the word out to more people is the only move they have. If they get an extra 100k from doing it I would say that it was a good move. Without the backing of a major label they have to make all the moves themselves and since most of the more well put together KS with some of the these mmo's are being managed by guys that have been in the business and know what they need to do on their own.

• LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190

I'm fine with it.

If you would listen to what they have to say, you would know they already raised $2.3 million dollars, which they said $1 million was use to get ready for the kickstarter campaign. No, they are not spending backer money to advertise a game to bring in more folks and more money to make you a better game. They are spending money that has nothing to do with you. As one that it is already being labeled one of the most successful kickstarter campaigns ever, do you think they didn't go into it without a plan??? If, you had limted funding to advertise, please tell me in your best business knowledge that wouldn't be most successfully spent at a targeted audience???

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

OP seems to have a short term memory or at least very selective.

He's claimed that this site has paid no attention to his preferred game (CU) and I'm assuming that he believes they did zero marketing for the KS. 

I first heard about CU from Engadget of all places. I can't remember if there was a "ad" on this site specifically, but probably was.

MJ might as well have had an office over at Massively. Clearly he chose where to spread the word and it worked as the project was funded and then some. CU wasn't funded purely out of word of mouth from die hard fans. Quick search on google for "CU April 2nd" will give a different story.

Can't say if any site or whatever was paid, but really doesn't matter. Marketing is a backbone of any product. If a product can make it to release without any sort of support, I commend them, but I've never seen a video game do it.

If anything, this site and others have done CU as much as they can considering it is behind locked doors for the most part. What has been released to non-backers is pretty vague in many cases and there isn't as much detail to discuss that many other projects (including CF) give out from day one.

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623

Like to point out that the ads couldn't have been paid for with crowd funding since the kickstarter hasn't even ended yet. ArtCraft won't get any money until the end of the kickstarter ad campaign which is still 11hrs from now. 

I think its more them spending their own money in an attempt to bring in even more money via the kickstarter campaign. seems to be working too.....donations seemed to have jump in the past couple days.

• I'm not quite getting the OP's gripe.

Does he expect a company not to advertise their game?

Doesn't he understand that the money from the kick starter is not even in the company's coffers yet?

I would hope he does understand that in business, you often have to spend money to make more money.

My final question, to the OP directly, did you pledge in the Kick Starter?

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    What makes you think that they don't have any money to start with? Do you believe that the gameplay footage seen during the KS campaign simply materialized out of thin air? This is how a KS should be run. Another title that comes to mind is Shards Online. Lots of tech already done. Gameplay footage throughout their campaign. Playtests being streamed. It's all about committing to your product, and if someone is showing that they're already heavily invested in the project, then it does nothing but make me want to back it that much more. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Bluddworth

Doesn't he understand that the money from the kick starter is not even in the company's coffers yet?

It's not...?

I was under the impression that successful KS = money goes to the devs, failed KS = refunds.

Either way, it's theirs now. They were going to pay for ads sooner or later anyway. Does it really matter whether they use their own original funds for it, or their newly acquired ones?

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DeSadeWhirlfistDeSadeWhirlfist Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by will75

Sir your IGNORANCE is STAGGERING.

Are they just locking in your funds now instead of hyping and giving you a chance to actually beta test the game before deciding to pay money?

Beta Testing is not for deciding if a game should be bought...It's to flush out systems and further improve on a product by bringing in more testers. Usually games go to beta when they ready to start testing their network systems. WTF you think Beta TEST means.

Speaking from a point of view of a game who has said they needed to come to kickstarter to fund their idea, i have noticed over the last few days, that several gaming websites.. ahem are running full page ads for the kickstarter and game. Does this worry you at all?

Doesn't worry me any more then what I see on TV or any other piece of advertising. Is it scary to you? Does knowing that a company is attempting to make as much money as humanly possible worry you? If so sir you better move to Alaska and live in the bush cause advertising is EVERYWHERE, you probably own a piece of advertising in the form of a sport shirt or some other article of clothing used to PROMOTE something.

I have been one of the largest critics of this game.  However, i am curious on what the community's thoughts on a crowdfunded game paying for advertisement's on gaming websites?

Again advertising is something you will have to deal with in your lifetime, it's not scary, it's can't be avoided, and it's gonna get you to spend your money sooner or later. I think your post would have made a lot more sense if it had just been titled....

I am a critic of Crowfall hear me roar.

Now my personal thoughts on Crowd Funded games is after backing Elite Dangerous, Lost Colony, and Star Citizen. I won't be backing another game. I come from EQ, UO, and BBS games. These games were not crowd funded, and to think that it's impossible in todays market to produce a game of quality without  crowd funding is just DUMB. Where there is passion there is hope. Right now in some garage there is a group of like minded individuals who are attempting to do the impossible. Sooner or later they will produce. Hope this answers your questions.

P.S Moment you fund a kick starter, and download w/e game version they on. You will not receive a refund. Also keep in mind I payed I think it was $30-40 to beta Lost Colony. The company went belly up and they never put out a final release. I was unable to get a refund, because I downloaded the content that was available. I DO NOT RECOMMEND buying an unfinished product.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Paid hype to me does not mean ads...when I hear paid hype I think people posing as normal forum users just here to pimp the game and are being paid to do it by the game.  Ads are straight forward and ok with me.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

If you see a well funded kickstarter back game that ISN'T advertising, you should run away. It means they don't even understand the most basic principles of business and likely haven't done any financial planning beyond. "omg we gots moneyz". Conversely, if you see one that is advertising at a disproportionate level compared to the funding their received, then they're also to be avoided.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

@OP: That's your money well spent.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Back in the day indie devs claimed that 1 kickstarter dollar is worth of 3 big studio dollars abouts,because there is no middle mans and how they invest all their money in to the game developement really effectively,that is not the case anymore and soon 1 dollar means 1 big company dollar or even less,which is really sad.

edit : some of the big studios seems to be more indie these days than these "we are indie give us money fast" gangs

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by PAL-18

Back in the day indie devs claimed that 1 kickstarter dollar is worth of 3 big studio dollars abouts,because there is no middle mans and how they invest all their money in to the game developement really effectively,that is not the case anymore and soon 1 dollar means 1 big company dollar or even less,which is really sad.

edit : some of the big studios seems to be more indie these days than these "we are indie give us money fast" gangs

I would like to see how exactly did you get to those numbers.

Feel free to enlighten us all.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by evilized

The majority of their funding is not from kickstarter. They say exactly how they are funding the game on their forums, maybe you should go educate yourself before posting threads like this.

This ---^

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    lol op, so you trolled Crowfall's forums with this nonsense few days ago (before the Kickstarter ended) and now doing it here as well? lol

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Malabooga

Ok,this  might be rocket science for you then if you cant figure it out but here it goes   : 3-2=1

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I don't really see how this is any different than the unrealistic hype surrounding games like SWTOR or gw2 or AoC or Rift or all those other games.  The only real difference is in those cases the developers actually had a finished game to sell you even if it was woefully short of what was hoped for. 

In this case I think $60 given to kickstarter will give far more long term happiness than say a gw2 box as there is no actual game to crush your dreams of what could be.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Ok,this  might be rocket science for you then if you cant figure it out but here it goes   : 3-2=1

"Back in the day indie devs claimed that 1 kickstarter dollar is worth of 3 big studio dollars"

I'm quite sure that's what was in question, P. I'm also interested in where this 'back in the day' statistic came from.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

"Back in the day indie devs claimed that 1 kickstarter dollar is worth of 3 big studio dollars"

I'm quite sure that's what was in question, P. I'm also interested in where this 'back in the day' statistic came from.

If in exchange for that big studio dollars you had to hire a bunch of management with business experience who drag everyone to meetings to talk about innovation... I could see it.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    What the hell does it matter to you? Mind your own business.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by Bluddworth

It's not...?

I was under the impression that successful KS = money goes to the devs, failed KS = refunds.

Either way, it's theirs now. They were going to pay for ads sooner or later anyway. Does it really matter whether they use their own original funds for it, or their newly acquired ones?

Speaking as someone who has recently had a successful KS campaign as well as someone who backed this, it takes about 2 weeks (Literally it took two weeks for my funds to clear) to my account.  But after that, some may not actually fund as their payment option declined due to bank accounts, etc.  It is possible to be successful and actually not be at the same time due to if someone fails to pay a pledge, it doesn't count against your funded.

@OP, how else are they supposed to spread the word?  By their website alone?  They utilize advertisements to help get them more funds, its a simple part of advertising, I spend X amount on advertising so I make XX more dollars than if I would forgo advertising.  Business 101.

• Logrus_CSLogrus_CS Member UncommonPosts: 87
    I for one am pulling for Crowfall. The more games that deliver quality after a successful KS, the better the chances for indies to bring stuff to the table. And if you have the budget to get paid hype for the KS fundraising, that just sounds like good business. After all not only will you get the attention from the paid hype, but the KS success as well.