Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this be the sleeper hit of 15?

ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Kind of curious about the total lack of any major coverage on this title.  Everything I have heard from those actually playing is very positive, the artwork and world looks incredible, and the game systems are pretty progressive.  (Actual seasons that change the landscape?  yes please)

I'm curious why it's getting so little coverage in general.  Are they just not spending a dime on advertising, therefore the little anyone is talking about the game?

Comments

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Likely waiting for it to be more complete and closer to a full release. I havent played in quite a few months, was involved in some earlier testing, but even back then it was shaping up to be a pretty great game.
  • CostaniusCostanius Member UncommonPosts: 231

I think it'll br better to get everything in place and running stable and ok before letting the masses know about it.

And everyone who is interested in MMOs can read mmorpg.com and learn about the game here. Its already on 2nd or 3rd place on the "most-wanted" list...

When the NDA drops and people start to stream it on twitch the public will get to know this game quite fast...

-----------------------------------
    Life is too short to play bad games.

• gekidogekido Member UncommonPosts: 66

And... since the NDA is lifted.

No, this will be nowhere near a sleeper hit... a success... or even remotely close to being a finished product in the year 2015.  This game has an enormous amount of content to add and fix.  Simply put, it's not fun and there are many other alternatives that offer a much more enjoyable and complete experience than what is currently offered up by this product.

I regret ever throwing $10 at this product.  By the time this product is ready for human consumption, it will have already been surpassed by other up and coming games.

This product screams amateur.  I have no problem supporting an indie development team but these people have bit off more than they can chew.  What they are promising and what they will deliver are... and will be... not the same.

As always on the internet, don't take my word for it.  Go make your own mistake if you're curious.

All that being said... I hope I'm wrong.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by gekido

No, this will be nowhere near a sleeper hit... a success... or even remotely close to being a finished product in the year 2015.  This game has an enormous amount of content to add and fix.  Simply put, it's not fun and there are many other alternatives that offer a much more enjoyable and complete experience than what is currently offered up by this product.

I regret ever throwing $10 at this product.  By the time this product is ready for human consumption, it will have already been surpassed by other up and coming games.

This product screams amateur.  I have no problem supporting an indie development team but these people have bit off more than they can chew.  What they are promising and what they will deliver are... and will be... not the same.

As always on the internet, don't take my word for it.  Go make your own mistake if you're curious.

I don't think you understand what a pre-alpha is. You also clearly have no concept on how an mmo is made. Especially considering that this particular game is being developed by 10 people in their off time from work. Basically you sound like a dick.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by f0dell54

I don't think you understand what a pre-alpha is. You also clearly have no concept on how an mmo is made. Especially considering that this particular game is being developed by 10 people in their off time from work. Basically you sound like a dick.

I don't understand why you think he's being a dick. The question was whether or not this will be the sleeper hit of 2015 and he was questioning whether it would even be completed by end of 2015, let alone a sleeper hit. Based on the fact that they are still pre-alpha and the game has been in development for probably 3 years or more at this point, I don't see him being a dick, I see him as being realistic. This game might come together, but I highly doubt it will be any time in 2015, since we're already half way through. Then there's the question of quality. Is it good enough to be a sleeper hit? I don't know. We should probably wait for a release first, though. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

I don't understand why you think he's being a dick. The question was whether or not this will be the sleeper hit of 2015 and he was questioning whether it would even be completed by end of 2015, let alone a sleeper hit. Based on the fact that they are still pre-alpha and the game has been in development for probably 3 years or more at this point, I don't see him being a dick, I see him as being realistic. This game might come together, but I highly doubt it will be any time in 2015, since we're already half way through. Then there's the question of quality. Is it good enough to be a sleeper hit? I don't know. We should probably wait for a release first, though. 

Well I can see one reason.

Bashing an indie game that has not been completed yet, for no reason.   

Again this just smells of someone who is crying over the huge amount of $10 that they spent on a pre-alpha game and found it uncomplete.   That's "uncalled for" (substitution to prevent being banned) in my book.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Again this just smells of someone who is crying over the huge amount of $10 that they spent on a pre-alpha game and found it uncomplete.   That's "uncalled for" (substitution to prevent being banned) in my book.

Well, he did say that he hopes he's wrong. Maybe he was a bit abrasive in the way he delivered it, but he did end it on a positive note, which is probably more than many would do. 

I think that, realistically, it's just nonsense to say that this game is going to be ready for 2015. So, yeah, no it won't be a sleeper hit of 2015. It might be a sleeper hit at some point in the future, but based on all the reasons outlined (like team size) I wouldn't expect anything in the short term.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

No, this will be nowhere near a sleeper hit... a success... or even remotely close to being a finished product in the year 2015. Neither was Elite Dangerous.  But it was released anyway.  Not saying this is the way to go but for Indie developers it may sometimes be necessary for the survival of their game.  And generally the information is out there for consumers to make a reasonable judgement on the state of the game. This game has an enormous amount of content to add and fix.  Obviously.  Simply put, it's not fun In your opinion and there are many other alternatives that offer a much more enjoyable and complete experience than what is currently offered up by this product.  In pre-alpha?  Or just in general?

I regret ever throwing $10 at this product.  By the time this product is ready for human consumption, it will have already been surpassed by other up and coming games.  Time will tell here.

This product screams amateur.  I have no problem supporting an indie development team but these people have bit off more than they can chew.  What they are promising and what they will deliver are... and will be... not the same.   Indie development means low budget, and corners need to be cut.  It does not mean that the people making the game are amateurs.  And again you are making assumptions here for the sake of trashing the game it seems.

All that being said... I hope I'm wrong.  It sure does not sound like you are.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• gekidogekido Member UncommonPosts: 66

I answered the OP's question... in my opinion.  That's exactly what a forum is... right?... right?

Seems like I struck a couple nerves.  Get over yourselves.

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425

No, this will be nowhere near a sleeper hit... a success... or even remotely close to being a finished product in the year 2015. Neither was Elite Dangerous.  But it was released anyway.  Not saying this is the way to go but for Indie developers it may sometimes be necessary for the survival of their game.  And generally the information is out there for consumers to make a reasonable judgement on the state of the game. This game has an enormous amount of content to add and fix.  Obviously.  Simply put, it's not fun In your opinion and there are many other alternatives that offer a much more enjoyable and complete experience than what is currently offered up by this product.  In pre-alpha?  Or just in general?

I regret ever throwing $10 at this product.  By the time this product is ready for human consumption, it will have already been surpassed by other up and coming games.  Time will tell here.

This product screams amateur.  I have no problem supporting an indie development team but these people have bit off more than they can chew.  What they are promising and what they will deliver are... and will be... not the same.   Indie development means low budget, and corners need to be cut.  It does not mean that the people making the game are amateurs.  And again you are making assumptions here for the sake of trashing the game it seems.

All that being said... I hope I'm wrong.  It sure does not sound like you are.

How do you know what he sounds like? If you can see or hear his emotions, than you are a superhero.

• Params7Params7 Member UncommonPosts: 212

There's a severe lack of core/sandbox MMO's today which weren't developed more than 10 years ago. I don't think game even HAS to have AAA quality animations, scenes, etc.

Just get the core mechanics right. This game is being developed by 10 people in their off time but there is a ton of potential. Truth is people are starving for MMOs like this and I believe their focus should be to now just get the core gameplay mechanics right, launch the game, then keep working on animations and other aesthethics with major overhaul patches.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I hate to say it but this guy is spot on. From the not remotely close to the feeling of regret. 

The one thing positive I can say is the combat many months ago had a certain crude draw to it. The mobs were extra hard and targeting was full aim. 

The guys who are making it seem cool and have handled public relations masterfully. They are trying hard. Hey though "don't take my word for it." give it a shot. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AndemonAndemon Member UncommonPosts: 29

I think that, realistically, it's just nonsense to say that this game is going to be ready for 2015. So, yeah, no it won't be a sleeper hit of 2015. It might be a sleeper hit at some point in the future, but based on all the reasons outlined (like team size) I wouldn't expect anything in the short term.

I concur. This is nowhere near playable in the current state. Maybe in a couple of years, but for now...? No.

Looting is incredibly awkward. You have to do a sort of a jiggle around the corpse to try and find a spot that allows you to loot. And hope that it doesn't despawn before you find it. Often, the corpses disappear before I can get to them. Though looting doesn't matter much anyway; most enemies only carry a single thing, usually money. And there doesn't seem to be any real use for money, I ran out of things to buy on my first day. Most of the gear sold by NPCs is worse than what you start with.

Enemies repop out of nowhere, frequently near you. And you can't hear them, so you constantly have to spin the camera around to check if someone's appeared behind you.

There's no enemy AI. They simply run straight at you. Doesn't matter if there's a river, cliffs or castle walls in the way. Those won't even slow them down.

Tiniest of falls can randomly kill you.

Camera tends to start spinning at random intervals, and sometimes you're unable zoom out while aiming with a ranged weapon. Which means that your view is blocked by your own character. And sometimes trying to zoom out causes it to swiftly toggle between normal and aiming mode, making it look like you're seeing everything double. Good luck trying to hit anything with bows...

The voice acting is jarring, and they're overusing expletives. So far I haven't heard a single spoken line without the F-word in it. Seriously. And come to think about it, much of the dialogue is immature: there's a lot of "Nine men out of ten love big boobs (and the tenth one is gay)" type of comments. 

On the plus side, I haven't seen it crash and I haven't got stuck in the geometry yet. So the basic framework seems solid.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

He is only responding to the OP who wants feedback on a game that is apparently "pre-alpha" (Alpha is first so what is pre, is that drawing board status?) and not in good shape, again because of the very early development.

No need to vent your frustrations with that game if you do not like his honest response on a question on a public forum.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Sleeper hit? No.

It does look great for an indie game, but also looks like it will likely suffer all the problems of every other "sandbox" pvp game. I.E. it will rely heavily on the combat which, regardless of how good it is, will never make for a good MMO on its own. An MMO needs to be fun without PvP to be fun with it.

As to it being somehow behind in development, or being overtake by other titles by the time it releases, I don't really see that happening. What Crowfall? CU? Honestly all of these games could be (and probably will be) played simultaneously. They are not exactly the types of titles that people play exclusively, especially without much progression or a persistent world (Crowfall).

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It looks decent enough,first impression i got was basically a better looking Darkfall.

Sleeper hit,i doubt it,too much focus on pvp is never a hit.I do like that they are using terrain and stuff to make combat more realistic ,not sure how that will play out with pvp because a guy up on a ledge shooting an arrow will have way too big an advantage on a guy with a sword.

Yes no advertising money spent here is exactly why no mention of the game.Sad reality is this site is no longer a gaming news site but an advertising site only.

I did notice the animations look clunky,they claim they used motion capture but that doesn't really mean much.How that motion capture is done and how much depth the model has example vertices makes up the final result.Oh yes then you have to add in how many frames it takes to make up that animation.I am so old school i used  to think around 25 was good but i have recently heard of games using over 200 animation frames,so you can really understand how some animations look a lot better than others.

I think it is just my beliefs on combat in general that does not allow me to enjoy melee type combat games.The reason is simple,i would not walk out and confront someone with a sword,it is dumb.I would have went for a long spear and kept my distance.Also games do not deliver on customization,not all players should move with the same speed or have the same strength and dexterity or agility.The same goes for weapons,a spear should reach further allowing a player to stay our of range,there is just too much that has to go into a good pvp game that is never going to happen.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Depends on how you define "sleeper hit". It might be within its (full pvp) niche, but I highly doubt it will be on the general MMO market. Provided it releases in 2015 at all, which sounds rather unlikely if they are still in a pre-alpha phase.

As for the "pre" alpha part, normally that would mean the game isn't ready by far to be played by people, not even in an alpha state. But these days the terms have become pretty worthless. We now have MMOs taking money from people for a year while being in "open beta" (hello Neverwinter online and Heroes of the Storm) and then one day just declaring that the game is going live (but you keep everything you've done, so it was more like a really extended headstart).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• bartold666bartold666 Member UncommonPosts: 71

In fact we don't want to focus on PVP only - PVE,  crafting, economy and social aspects are also important, as well as will be a storyline in future. Tomorrow we will start implementing skills to vary the characters progression and there are still quests, housing and building to implement when the map size grows.

Animations look clunky because of the controller, it's rather a prototype than a polished one and will be improved. About spears - there will be longer ones in future, as well as a spear + shield.

Thanks for feedback!

EDIT:

Pre-alpha, because alpha should contain part of every designed function, while some of these functions have yet to be implemented.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

Sure he has a reason, to inform others. Disagree away I wont call you a dick.

• EtherlothEtherloth Member UncommonPosts: 47

After one day into the pre-alpha, unfortunately I have to jump in the bandwagon of those saying "No Way" to a 2015 sleeper. Not even a 2016 sleeper IMO considering the size of the development team (I am not game developer but I web/app dev and I can imagine how difficult and test-intensive has to be to create games).

Honestly I expected a bit more polish from the videos I have seen in YouTube, I have a decent connection so it is not about latency, but I found it a bit hard to time some defense/attack combos due to glitches and phasing. Also complicated to fight several opponents sametime, where you block in angles that you would be suppose to intercept (via total logic and LOS) you still get hit, sometimes you arrive late to block certain attacks that looks like hit way earlier, also the difference between mob levels is not well distributed, takes the same effort to kill a mob lvl 5 than a lvl 11 but after that 2x lvl 3 mobs glitching can own you pretty fast.

The game has potential, I just hope that the content will suffice to please avid gamers that, like me, have spent the last... 10 years without finding a game that really clicked. The total lack of magic might be negative in the end, only time will tell.

I wish the best to the development team, for sure will follow the progress.

Etherloth.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I dont think it will be a sleeper hit as such..

its a niche game with niche mechanics.. Its a openworld PVP sandbox game with a parital loot system... not many people like that kind of thing.. but it will be popular with the ones who do :)

I will be playing it thats for sure :)

• rdagerrdager Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I pre purchased this game a long time ago and have been playing it off and on since then, mostly after patches. While I agree the dev team is small and prob wont release the game before it becomes outdated. That is really unfortunate, because the developers have great ideas, but dont have the time and manpower to implement them in a timely manner. The good news about  this game is that it shows the gaming community some really innovative ideas. If the community appreciates those ideas enough then someone will take it and run with it. Or have you forgotten games like DayZ and/or Minecraft ?
  • EtherlothEtherloth Member UncommonPosts: 47

Just a small update... lack of accuracy in the combat tactics (enemies repeatedly hitting through blocks, attacks that do not trigger or get stuck on power-up sequences, absolutely annoying loot system, etc.) have made the playing experience just unbearable, and that is mostly PvE, cannot imagine PvP.

I do not regret to donate 10 bucks to this team because they have created a nice environment and graphics but that is it from my side, I guess I will wait till it improves, if ever.

Etherloth.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Sandboxes are never sleeper hits. They are always niche games attracting small audience. For a small group of people this will be the game of the year but majority of gamer will miss whatever it's state is. Just my 2 cents.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Depends on how you define "sleeper hit". It might be within its (full pvp) niche, but I highly doubt it will be on the general MMO market. Provided it releases in 2015 at all, which sounds rather unlikely if they are still in a pre-alpha phase.

As for the "pre" alpha part, normally that would mean the game isn't ready by far to be played by people, not even in an alpha state. But these days the terms have become pretty worthless. We now have MMOs taking money from people for a year while being in "open beta" (hello Neverwinter online and Heroes of the Storm) and then one day just declaring that the game is going live (but you keep everything you've done, so it was more like a really extended headstart).

Good point.  If your goal is to make the DFUW-killer your standards can be a bit lower than if your goal is to make the WoW-killer.