Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering buying this game, but.....

ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

I need a new game to keep me occupied, and this looked interesting. However everybody keeps bringing up lack of features and it is making me wonder if its worth my money.....

Sell me on this game.... is it worth?

If I buy any advice? 

Will I see real players often and can do stuff with them?

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I don't believe anyone here gets paid to sell this game to you. How much are you willing to pay us to sell you on the game?

If you have any doubts about purchasing any game, then don't buy it.  If you aren't 100% certain or are not willing to take a chance, then don't buy it.

You owe me $20.00 for that.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

As a disclaimer; I'm a big fan of the game and its lore but I'll try to answer objectively. The game is certainly not for everybody.

• If you like the idea of being dropped into the galaxy and left entirely to your own devices it might appeal. If you prefer games that lead you along 'breadcrumb style' then it might not appeal. The game does have some story but you are a cog in the wheel as opposed to being the stereotypical hero - http://www.elitedangerous.com/news/galnet/
    •  
    • If you enjoy fleshing out your own character and his/her adventures then it might appeal, if you prefer being told you are this character and these are the things happening to you then it might not appeal.
    •  
    • If you like the idea of the vastness/emptiness of space and exploring an emulation of the Milky Way then it might appeal, if you prefer hand crafted 'inaccurate' set drops then it might not appeal.
    •  
    • If you appreciate that it's only had 2 years of development compared to typical MMOs which have 4-6 years then you might have more reasonable expectations.

Caveat: All of the above is totally subjective :) I enjoy games like Mass Effect as much as the next person but I find the freedom of Elite very appealing as well. It's a very 'just one more' game to play, whether that's a trade drop, mission, system exploration, kill or whatever.

The combat, sound, visuals and feeling of what space could really be like are sublime - all too often jaw-dropping.

By all accounts you can try the combat tutorials with a google search.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by ellobo29

I need a new game to keep me occupied, and this looked interesting. However everybody keeps bringing up lack of features and it is making me wonder if its worth my money.....

If I buy any advice? 

If you are asking these questions you really don't have a clue about this game.

I suggest you try learning how to do research on games, before you buy.   

That would make a lot more sense than just asking random people to " sell " you on the game.

Oh and yea, go buy it, you are exactly the type of player that would enjoy it.  Or not.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

This is a strange game for me. Do I think it's amazing and has incredible potential? YES. A thousand times YES.

Do I think that someone should buy it? No, probably not yet.

It works and it is high quality, but in my opinion at least, it needs to be fleshed out more. And it is being fleshed out more at a decent rate and they have planned DLC that sounds promising. But in my opinion at least, it needs to bake a little longer.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

I would say wait for a while. 

See how they handle their first expansion. This is mostly a solo game. You need to kill npc's for cash, and or, spend quite a bit of time running back and forth to stations trading to make cash to get bigger and better ships.

You will spend a lot of time grinding cash if you do want to get to the bigger ships. Now after saying that...the game can be fun if you like the smaller fast ships and fighting more than worrying about getting the bigger ships.  And you need to be careful never to fly something you can not pay insurance on. You can lose everything if you can not afford insurance.   

They did do this much pretty well...you can fly the smaller ships and do quite well on fighting both npc or other players if you can find some.  Do not go into this expecting to find lots of other players to fight though.  You can find some around certain areas...but the vast majority of space is empty of other players. So the people you find may be vets looking for you there too:P

It does take some time to get used to the controls as well. I really wish they would let people play a single player version of a combat demo to get used to the controls before laying down full price for something they may hate. Either way spend the first dozen or so hours in the game single player until you get used to fighting and flying before you go out against other people or you will be easy meat to others if you get the game.

It really depends on what you want out of the game.  Mostly a solo game in space? could be good for a few weeks fun. And you can always shelve it for a few months then try it again. No sub so that is a plus. Large scale PVP...i do not think you would like it that much. 

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Originally posted by ellobo29

If I buy any advice? 

Well it really depends on what you expect from the game, if you expect a lot of hand held content then currently it's not there, and at the very least you should wait till the next update, as this will be full of content.

But one thing to consider is, the game is only "Buy to play", no that maybe dependent on your disposable income, but me personally I've had over 200hr of fun in this, so it's been well worth the money in that respect.

If you play in the community challenges or in the hot areas of space you will see many real players, and with the recent wings update you can do anything in the game with a group of 4 players.

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455

Can't see any real reason to hype this game as long as EVE is growing and improving. Check out the upcoming SOV changes for example. Awesome stuff.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• Nicco77Nicco77 Member UncommonPosts: 145

No, I was about to purchase Elite then I decided to wait a little and when they announced the console version I lost any interest on the game.

To fit the console Elite will lose any chance of expanding content and gameplay because of the big limits of the consoles.

Also Braben asks money on kickstarter because he wants to keep the game away from big corporations then he solds a the completed project to Microsoft and Sony,very honest.

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

They need a free preview. Some will say $60 is nothing. I disagree, and I've been burned by too many games (like Warcraft) that looked fine on paper, looked fine on Youtube, and ended up being horrible games (either in and of themselves or due to lack of player base resulting in eventual decline of the game experience).

It already sounds like this game has a player base issue - not enough people. To stimulate interest and demand a free trial would be ideal. I am sure there are metrics in the industry that show what % of free trials are converted into sales. What do they really have to lose? Unless there are a lot of issues they simply don't want to expose people to before they spend their $?

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

To the contrary. Frontier even writes it into their shareholder report that the game is selling better than expected.

Have fun

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Lots of people playing all kinds of ways on twitch. You'd be better of watching them and drawing your own conclusion.
  • thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Give it another year. It's okay now. Sound is awesome, the openness and freedom is amazing. But it just doesn't feel finished yet.
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Instead of making my own thread I'll ask here:

Is this a mmo or is massive part missing? (massive = eve like).

Can you do something else beyond buy cheap sell high and killing stuff to make money?

I love Elite series but 60$ is not something to frown upon. Thanks for the answers guys.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    It is in no way an mmo, get that out of your head right away, thats where i went wrong.

No it's not EVE-like and it would be no fun at all if it was EVE-like.

The larger battles in EVE are more like an RTS whereas Elite is first person twitch action. The video below is of a High Intensity Combat zone, try imagining that with 400 - 500 players or if when you're cruising around in 'normal' space there were 40+ ships on your screen - you'd never get anywhere, it'd be interdiction after interdiction after interdiction and so on.

https://youtu.be/_vnd6aHG1mk?t=38s

If you're unsure about the game I'd really suggest waiting.

Fair enough, its not an mmo. Is it at least on the same server? Is there any player interaction at all?

Also my second question, is there anything else to do besides missions and bounties?

Originally posted by Spiider

Fair enough, its not an mmo. Is it at least on the same server? Is there any player interaction at all?

Also my second question, is there anything else to do besides missions and bounties?

It is indeed all on the same server. There's plenty of player interaction around the starter systems and the old world (Lave, Leesti etc). Combat zones result in quite a bit of PvP especially when they get attention from GalNet - http://www.elitedangerous.com/news/galnet/ as do the community goal systems.

You could do exploration, smuggling, trading, missions, bounty hunting, PvP or a combination of all. Definitely a game where you motivate yourself rather than the devs constantly motivating you.

Patch 1.3 is meant to be adding their largest addition so far and we'll hear details of that in 3 weeks or so, if you're not in any rush...

Google "Elite + tutorial + github" if you want a go at the combat.

Trading, smuggling, courier missions... thats the same only wrapped in different shell. Undock, get to system XY, dock. I didn't do that in EVE and I don't have any intention of doing that in any other game (wow being good example, go kill 5 bears and 7.67 chicken).

How about scavanging? Scan systems, find wrecks, get some junk out? And mining? Can you shoot at rocks and hope for good yield? Just wonder around and hope to find stuff worth something? They provide you with a sandbox but give you no sand. Maybe I want to go mine water from ice moons? Or get rare minerals by harvesting comets? Sand darn it, give us some sand!

Sometimes I wonder how are all devs so short on imagination even when they are loaded with money. Rant rant:)

Thanks for the advice, I will probably wait for it a bit longer. Good indication is that on steam close to half of commenst are negative which means that game polarizes a lot. And I don't want risk 60$ on 50% chance if you know what I mean:)

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    Originally posted by Kanester
    It is in no way an mmo, get that out of your head right away, thats where i went wrong.

how is it not an MMO?  I havent played the game so i dont know.  its a big universe that you fly around in and any player that buys the game gets to fly around in that same universe and you can fly to them right?  

can they hide somewhere in an instance that you can't get to?

do i have to wait in a lobby and join a "universe" that is limited to X amount of people?

do i have to queue to play with other people?

is it open space and you rarely meet people and if you want player interaction you have to hunt them down OR do some sort of instance/queue'd scenario?  please tell me if this is the case.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by time007
    Originally posted by Kanester

how is it not an MMO?  I havent played the game so i dont know.  its a big universe that you fly around in and any player that buys the game gets to fly around in that same universe and you can fly to them right?  

can they hide somewhere in an instance that you can't get to?

do i have to wait in a lobby and join a "universe" that is limited to X amount of people?

do i have to queue to play with other people?

is it open space and you rarely meet people and if you want player interaction you have to hunt them down OR do some sort of instance/queue'd scenario?  please tell me if this is the case.

Its not an MMO, there are two ways to play the game, the most popular is probably solo mode, the game you play is affected by other players, but they don't appear in your game, how they affect your version of the game is on the commodities market through buying/selling items they can cause the value of commodities to fluctuate.

In open play you get to play with other players who are also playing in open play, not sure what the limits are in terms of player numbers in an area, afaik there are never any queues, probably just get multiple instances of an area if it becomes crowded.image

• They are also adding lobby PvP now which is separate from the main galaxy.

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

Some very well meaning people talked me out of buying this game yet.  They let me know there is little content in the game.  You spend vast amounts of time waiting on travel to complete.  They also let me know that if you want to become wealthy, powerful, or otherwise, you'd have a very repetitive grind of repeating the same activity.

I think the word someone used was "over priced tech demo."

Anyhow, if you buy it, and you have an amazing time, please send me a PM because I want to play a space MMO reeeeeeeeally bad, but I've played a couple that just bored me to tears and I didn't want to pay $60 on that risk.

Good luck buddy!