Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can CU do it better than ESO and GW2?

2»

Comments

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    No, CU can't do anything better than ESO.  Hope you guys like wasting your money. 
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by DAS1337
    No, CU can't do anything better than ESO.  Hope you guys like wasting your money. 

Come on,..surely the game isn't going to be that bad?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Originally posted by Exzyz
    Mark talked about something called "veilstorms" that would prevent people from zerging too much. I suggest you go on the CU forums and ask or find the  threads where it has been discussed.

Problem is, forums are for backers only. But I remember Mark talking about high concentration of magic/casting in small area triggering the Veilstorm (one of his BSC vids IIRC), that could work very well against zerglings.

W...aaagh?
  • lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162

I think it's important that they manage to capture that realm pride that many people had back in the days in DAOC. You knew your leaders, you knew your heroes and the enemies that you hated because they were so good. Killspam told if they were close and they got themselves a name through killspam.

Not many shifted side in DAOC what I can recall. I remember people said they would, but the leveling up was too painful and you had your friends on one realm.

I hate the new thing with huge servers or server vs server stuff. You don't know your enemies or friends half of the time. You just battle it out. I am no fan of that.

When I think back about DAOC I think of it as the best game I have played. But if I think a little deeper there was a lot of problems with that game as well. Class-imbalance, when the expansion TOA came you got stuff that was so ridicolous that it was not even worth playing anymore. Everytime they released a new expansion the classes became so overpowered that it took away my will to play. So class-balance is of course important for a successful game. And to have that before the release because if not you will get rage-quitters because of nerfs.

I also think it is important to have a system like DAOC had/have with realm abilities. If you spend a lot of time in the frontiers you should get rewarded for it. That way, you want to stay with your character instead of taking the easy way out re-rolling faction just to end up with the strong faction on your server.

And I also hope that they learned something from Warhammer. Warhammer was to me a pretty good game but one thing failed and that was, besides only have two factions, that they gave points and gear for taking empty keeps. So we had two huge armies running around avoiding each other. One army took all the keeps in one zone. The other took all the keeps in another. Then they just swifted zone and took back what they lost. You just fought NPCs that way and it was so boring. I quit that game after failing to convince our army to actually fight the enemy on any night for 2 months straight or something.

If you want a good realm vs realm game then I don't think you can have battlegrounds, scenarios etc = instanced PVP. Because people rather go there to get their points where it is even numbers than to the frontier if one faction have more people. That way it will never even out the numbers. The losing side will rather stay in the instanced PVP because they hate to work with all the noobs in the zerg.

In DAOC I remember when I was in the zerg you were happy when one of the ganksquads came to your help and vice versa when I ran with my group. It was fun helping your realm out by picking out large numbers with a small group.

• arcundoarcundo Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

i dont know if CU can do it better, wait and see...  but i personally think that anything RvRvR will be a zergfest no matter how you put it. The only way to prevent RvRvR from becoming a zergfest is to have small groups vs small groups vs small groups instead of entire servers.

Even Planetside 2 is a zergfest. So i agree with the poster above who suggested staying away from the zerg's path and go attack something else. Thats what i do when i join WvWvW in GW2 and i always find small groups of enemies wandering around and capturing smaller posts so at least that is a possible option.

I havent tried cirodiil in ESO so i dont know how are things over there.

I like GvG better than RvR. But when I read about ESO while it was in development I thought they instancing the fight over a keep.  I am very well aware that is not the way it turned out, but that would be a nice way to avoid the zerg? You can still have a open pvp world around each keep, but when a Keep is attacked that part of the open pvp world is locked down and instanced for the defending and attacking guild only? Came to think of it that is pretty much how AoC does it...

Or with the campaigns you could even tier the sieging based on rating for more even fights. Example pro and a casual guild from 2 different factions claim a keep. And the guild with a good rating ends up attacking the same keep but about same ranking defending guild?

Didn't guilds matter a lot more in DAoC then they do in ESO?

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by cronius77

even the grand daddy of all these games was a trainwreck at times to so I do not see CU doing it any better. DAOC during relic raids would lag up and crash the server at times especially the 4am alarm clock raids. Not to mention class imbalance was a trainwreck at times like left axe shadowblades for a long time and drgaonfang 9 second stun infiltrators. Then there was the HUGE power gap of realm ranks and master levels/artifacts. 

So let me just restate what you're saying here. You're saying CU can't do it any better because of some complaints you have with DAoC that was released like 13 or 14 years ago? Yea that's great logic, clearly nothing can be improved upon in the areas of lag, server crashes, and balance from 14 years ago. Do you even consider what you're saying? lol..

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Server tech has been a problem with ESO from day one and still is. I agree. To say ZOS has gone silent on pvp is far from true though. Brain Wheeler, the pvp dev, is by far the most active dev on the forms. I am looking forward to CU like others. That being said it will be very hard to win ESO pvprs over. Most of us are addicted to the combat. 

You can talk....you can promise....you can say you are deep into development. That is what ESO does.

What ESO does not do......FIX AVA stablity......FIX AvA lag.....FIX AvA disconnects.....End the long ques waiting to get into a campaign.......PRODUCE NEW AVA CONTENT.

DAOC......13 years old subscription game has put out MORE content in the last 12 months  than ESO has ever dreamed of.(there are no que's either)

That is why ESO AvA  has dried up and blown away.Because ESO has made PVE content for console's and PC's their focus. AvA (alliance vs alliance) has simply been ignored.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Originally posted by Darksworm

The whole faction locking thing sounds pretty terrible and like reason enough for a lot of people to stay away form the game.  You cannot even re-roll to another faction without buying the game again and starting a second subscription?  That's too much trouble to manage what other games let you manage with one account.

Also, if the server[s] get unbalanced it will make it very hard to balance things out because players won't be able to balance it out themselves.  At that point they'll have to start doling out advantages the way Blizzard did in Wintergrasp back in WoTLK to keep things more balanced - or people will quit out of either boredom or frustration.

And if the Classes are locked to Factions, the way they were in DAoC and I think WAR, then it's an even WORSE idea since the reason to change factions may not even be because of which side is winning, but what class suits that player most in that game.

Realm pride.....fighting for a cause......forming friendships .....sharing a hard fought victory.....crafting items to help YOUR realm have success

or

Playing the faction that currently dominates (causing further population  imbalance)....killing the people  you met (including your guild mates)......spying on one faction then giving that information to the faction you just switched to.....feeling no attachment to the game, your faction or players since you only care about how you feel at any given time.

I'll choose NO CROSS REALMING / FACTION LOCK   every time