Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ive lost that loving feeling =(

2»

Comments

• Ryz_Ryz_ Member Posts: 4

Shelk, That patent thing isn't really an issue. Cloning can be done creatively and even though it's obvious a certain game is a clone of another, they clone devs cant be sued. Anyway.. Indeed like I described in an earlier post, Uo in new 3D weith new features would rock. Dungeon siege/never winter nights style. The chat would be there. real altitudes would be great.

And indeed I think we dont even have to research what the hell mmorpg developers are doing.. we KNOW they dont do market research because indeed, a sequel to UO would be a instant succeS(unless really messed up)

So this uo:X with quests in priv areas and no housing bla bla.  a big mystery to me from a business standpoint even! Well its obvious they keep thinking mmorpg';s need to be kept simple and have more action.. but it is such a poor idea, they ride this rumour and general sounds of palyers who complain about complexity.. so foolish. Like writing an article about a subject, and instead of researching the subject yourself just copy what others are saying. Weird if you consider its about big money.

Sigh.

• ShelkShelk Member UncommonPosts: 66

Djin,

By "UO2" i mean a game that resembles UO but with todays technology.  I know there is no Ultima Online 2, or remote plans to make one.  "They are almost all the same, just different graphics and stories".  Thats why so many people are disgruntled.  They are getting sick of them being "almost all the same".  The industry isn't evolving.  They just rehash the same generic design and update the graphics.  The genre keeps spewing out graphically intense, gameplay weak titles.  The UO vets simply jump from title to title looking for "UO2".

You are right about EA.  As I stated in my earlier post, the people that want to see "UO2" most are the ones that played UO before EA bought Origin and ruined the game.

I'll admit it is too early to hand down judgment on UXO and WOW, but from what I have read from interviews and such "they will come with less, and execute it poorly." as Ryz_ stated refering to new titles.

Ryz_

If there is no patents or copyrights blocking a design following the UO example then I am at a loss for words for their lack of ingenuity.  This trend towards more action/less options.... LOL its like they are trying to make an Unreal Tournament for thousands of people to play at once, yet with no PvP because people might become upset if they get killed by another player.  PvP - a few people whine about it, so they remove it from everything.  Its like having a classroom of 40 kids, but 3 are slow, so everyone has to take special needs courses so those 3 feel comfortable.  Ridiculous.

This genre made a bad turn a few years ago.  Instead of turning around, it slammed the gas to the floor and went off a cliff.  And now nearly every title released is a flaming car wreck.

Shelk 

• ZaradisZaradis Member Posts: 241
    Someone should stand up and be like "You know what, what UO had was great i'm going to implament a great PVP aspect as UO had and even if i do lose a couple of fans that don't enjoy pvp they can play all the other assortment of mmorpg just made for them" discluding "Shadowbane"

Qoute: "I neva *ucked anybody over in my life, who didn't have it comin' to 'im, you got that? All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for no one, jou understand?" Tony Montana

Qoute: "I neva *ucked anybody over in my life, who didn't have it comin' to 'im, you got that? All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for no one, jou understand?" Tony Montana

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

UO was very advance for its time,  and very broken.  I remember sticking a book on my spacebar overnight and becoming a GM music person. . .  or a GM fisherman with 100 dex! :) lol

Great times!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • Ryz_Ryz_ Member Posts: 4

True, Djin. Still.. I'd have it abck with those bugs anytime over the current version :P Of course in the very beginning it was serious. But around T2A I loved UO.

Really weird even for money no developer reporduces UO only bigger and better. Of course developers see the 'Trammel' decision as proof that even the most succesful MMORPG had to cater the nay sayers.. and thus concluding they are the largest group. I sure, however, that UO would have been as succesful as it is now, certainly not less if they never made Trammel.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

I played UO for 4 years,  just like people played EQ for years.  I never played EQ,  never will.

I've been around the block and been playing MMORPGs since the start... So I'm still looking for that UO feel. . .  I liked Shadowbane before the patches started to nerf everything to hell...

SB was like UO in a way... PK anyone,  look their body and laugh at them. :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

UO was my  first MMRPG and yes i do have fond memories  although i have better memories of EQ.

Though for adventure and social interaction i found EQ more fun.

Will any game be like the old ones?

Sadly it is a big NO.

Reason been is that people complain too much and then say oh i miss the old ways.

One thing that makes the new ones so boring is that there are way too easy.

Quest take under a few hours to do unlike EQ quest that took weeks/months in some cases to do and the final reward made you proud of it.

Dying is no biggie nowadays so there is no reason whatsoever not to try and go into a zone/area and no element of excitement.

Best thing to do for us is to keep trying and hoping that some day we will get one of those games that actually make you feel you are in the world of excitement and danger .

As for the changes to UO, i left about the time trammel just came in(EQ was finally converting my fully over hehe )

Was the changes needed?YES!

Initally the pkers were few and offered a level of excitement to the game and were pretty much like real life .

But like in real life when the criminals become way too many in an area 2 things happen to that area 1)no new people move in 2)people leave the area.

That pretty much sums up what happened to europa in UO pre trammel.They became way too much that they actually camped just right outside the town and killed newbies.

This was causing very few new players to actually stay on UO and just move into other MMRPGs .

Would not have been so bad if the pkers actually stole their little stuff and let but no they would camp the body just to chain kill the poor sucker and while for them it was great fun,origin was losing quite a lot of potential subscibers to other games thru their action.

This is a buisness and origin did the buisness move and made trammel.

• ShelkShelk Member UncommonPosts: 66

Well I'm happy to say it.

It looks like someone finally summed up the balls and ingenuity to break away from the leveling treadmills, class BS, candyland PvP, and general garbage game design.  This might be the "UO2" we've all been waiting for.  Check out the FAQs and post what you think.

www.boundless-adventures.com

Shelk

• ArconXArconX Member Posts: 2

Well, i think http://www.darkfallonline.com/# will be the closest to the old UO feeling ... I've been following the development on & off sinds a year or 2, and one of the things people noticed was the use of UO elements ( free placement backpack (aka, no grite like in 95% of the other mmorpg's)), they focuses a lot of there development in creating the same things UO had.

Take a look at the forum, and you will notice a lot of people posting the same, and the fact that the developers lissen a LOT to the people is a good thing...

To me, this game will become the next UO generation ...

• JuniperJuniper Member Posts: 6
    Savage http://www.s2games.com/savage/index.html for some reason had that addictive yearning I got while playin' UO so many years ago...give it a try, mate...I'm suprised its not a whole lot more popular than it is now.. image

• Sir_ReignSir_Reign Member Posts: 32

ya quiksylvrx and peoplez i know what ya mean... mmorpgs arent the same...

alot of them are trying to base there game off of EQ wich is one of the most boring mmorpgs ive ever played... im gonna try horizons.... Hoping... Praying... it would bring back that warm feeling...

i played tibia for a while and it kicked ass when you lured a giant spider to town and killed all of the newbs ;) BUT OF COURSE they had to fookin ruin it by putting a bridge up so that the giant spider cant get across the bridge! they wallways ruin stuff like that man... just have fun while ya can...

Peace out m8

err krap... dident see the 1,2,3,4 thing... damn you all lol

Peace out m8

Peace out m8

boundless adventures dont look very good m8.... no offence or anything

Peace out m8

Peace out m8