Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat full of red/blue telegraphs

1235»

Comments

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by bingbongbros
    Originally posted by Shaigh

I think you misread what I wrote.  If I'm not mistaken, which I probably am, Crowfall made a big hubbub about how stale the genre has become. Not just combat wise.  They then stated they wanted to get the things that originally made playing mmo's fun and got us all hooked.  Again, I'm probably wrong, and it could have been one of the other kick starter mmo's that are promising to veer away from the norm.

But if it was Crowfall, I don't think integrating ideas from recent mmo's is a good idea to support those claims.  Especially since WS did terrible, and taking the one feature nobody liked (the telegraphs) is even worse.  If they are trying to break the mold, go outside of the box, chose a different path, fly in the face of tradition, then making a game like games that are already out is a bad idea.

Again. I could be completely wrong with it being Crowfall that said this.

Someone willing to take risks will integrate a heavily criticized element to make it work in their game. What you are suggesting is that they should play it safe and not introduce things that might offend people.

No I'm not suggesting they do that. Again I was (mis?)quoting what the people making Crowfall stated early on in the media campaign.  They said they were unhappy with the current state of the mmo genre, and that it had become stale and full of the same game just repeated over and over.  So they were going to revitalize, or breath new life into it if you will, the genre.

Which then led me to the thought,"If they are trying to steer away from what they labeled a stale genre, why start off development by using mechanics from games that are part of what they are trying to get away from?"

You see where I'm going now?

No i really dont, what exactly do you suggest they do about combat.

All i ever saw you say they shoudl make it "traditional" lol And no, even if they go full telegraphs it isnt traditional or stale lol. It was used in 1 game that is not even a year old. And in wannabe WoW 2005 clone. THAT was stale about WS lol

Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    Yeah, all the other recent MMO's with telegraphs and action combat have been such huge successes...Let's roll with that shit.

Combat was actually the only decent part of WS, everything else was...well....bad.

• SleepySaifSleepySaif Member Posts: 14
    Yeah, not so worried about tele since there is a plan to change it in the mere future,  just wondering how will they implement it... 
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Malabooga

Isn't this the game that was making a big deal out of how stale the genre has become, and how they are going to go back to the roots of what made mmorpg's fun to play?

Wildstar telegraphs sure sounds like the complete opposite of that!

Aww, WS is basically fresh from the oven, how can it be stale already lol

And going back to 15 years old combat in NOT stale

Combat sure aint one of the things that made old school mmos fun to play

I think you misread what I wrote.  If I'm not mistaken, which I probably am, Crowfall made a big hubbub about how stale the genre has become. Not just combat wise.  They then stated they wanted to get the things that originally made playing mmo's fun and got us all hooked.  Again, I'm probably wrong, and it could have been one of the other kick starter mmo's that are promising to veer away from the norm.

But if it was Crowfall, I don't think integrating ideas from recent mmo's is a good idea to support those claims.  Especially since WS did terrible, and taking the one feature nobody liked (the telegraphs) is even worse.  If they are trying to break the mold, go outside of the box, chose a different path, fly in the face of tradition, then making a game like games that are already out is a bad idea.

They did not maention they are making traditional MMO anywhere.

UO is not traditional MMO, EvE is not a traditional MMO, Shadowbane was not a traditional MMO. No they dont aim to maka traditional MMO (EQ and its clones) in any  way.

Action combat works for PvP, traditional trinity combo not, they even said they wont have healers and traditional tanks dont make sense in PvP.

So no they dont aim at traditional.

I didn't say they were going to make a traditional game. I said "that originally made playing mmo's fun and got us all hooked".  That doesn't translate to taking traditional aspects of games.  It means making the games fun to play again.  Which is why in my other reply I said "If they are trying to break the mold, go outside of the box, chose a different path, fly in the face of tradition, then making a game like games that are already out is a bad idea."

As for pvp, I don't really like the idea of removing the trinity.  GW2 tried it and their pvp is pretty boring.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

Someone willing to take risks will integrate a heavily criticized element to make it work in their game. What you are suggesting is that they should play it safe and not introduce things that might offend people.

No I'm not suggesting they do that. Again I was (mis?)quoting what the people making Crowfall stated early on in the media campaign.  They said they were unhappy with the current state of the mmo genre, and that it had become stale and full of the same game just repeated over and over.  So they were going to revitalize, or breath new life into it if you will, the genre.

Which then led me to the thought,"If they are trying to steer away from what they labeled a stale genre, why start off development by using mechanics from games that are part of what they are trying to get away from?"

All i ever saw you say they shoudl make it "traditional" lol And no, even if they go full telegraphs it isnt traditional or stale lol. It was used in 1 game that is not even a year old. And in wannabe WoW 2005 clone. THAT was stale about WS lol

Again, I never said make combat or the game itself traditional.  So stop using that.  Why don't they just make combat aim based like the combat crap, but then add in the ability to disarm or dismember people you fight?  Like AoC claimed you could do but then only attached it to fatalities.  Take out telegraphing of any kind, but that is if you are going for realism.

And telegraphs have been around for a lot longer than what you stated. So I don't know how you can claim "It was used in 1 game that is not even a year old. And in wannabe WoW 2005 clone.", and I'm assuming you are talking about AoC or WAR?

Telegraphs have been around since DDO, or prior since I don't know every single mmo that has launched. Champions Online also had telegraphing from enemy attacks. TSW had some as well.  There are plenty of games with them.  Wildstar just took it to a ridiculous level.

Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    Yup a lot of other games had telegraphs before Wildstar but Wildstar took it to superstar levels. Adding colours and patterns and music ahem sorry  I mean their telegraphs had personalities....image  God how I hated them.

Originally posted by kitarad
    Yup a lot of other games had telegraphs before Wildstar but Wildstar took it to superstar levels. Adding colours and patterns and music ahem sorry  I mean their telegraphs had personalities....image  God how I hated them.

Same here. But I did love the double jump. Loved it!!! I still try to double jump in other mmo's sometimes, and then am saddened.

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

I acutally really liked WS combat....

Hell i really liked wild star as a game. Just couldn't get any of my friends to play. 

Again, I never said make combat or the game itself traditional.  So stop using that.  Why don't they just make combat aim based like the combat crap, but then add in the ability to disarm or dismember people you fight?  Like AoC claimed you could do but then only attached it to fatalities.  Take out telegraphing of any kind, but that is if you are going for realism.

And telegraphs have been around for a lot longer than what you stated. So I don't know how you can claim "It was used in 1 game that is not even a year old. And in wannabe WoW 2005 clone.", and I'm assuming you are talking about AoC or WAR?

Telegraphs have been around since DDO, or prior since I don't know every single mmo that has launched. Champions Online also had telegraphing from enemy attacks. TSW had some as well.  There are plenty of games with them.  Wildstar just took it to a ridiculous level.

Yeah, they should invent something competely new never seen before, just make it like FPS. Oooh, tehres also MMOFPS so thats out of the window too.

Dood, just ignore the game if ti bothers you that much, they never mentioned its stale because of combat, there has been quite various combat systems lately, didnt you see all the whines that all new MMOs DONT have traditional combat?

Thats its all some action crap, yadda yadda yadda

WSs combat is NOT traditional nor can it be stale. If you think combat tahts less that 1 year out is stale, but propose something 7 - 15 years old as not stale lol

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

I didn't say they were going to make a traditional game. I said "that originally made playing mmo's fun and got us all hooked".  That doesn't translate to taking traditional aspects of games.  It means making the games fun to play again.  Which is why in my other reply I said "If they are trying to break the mold, go outside of the box, chose a different path, fly in the face of tradition, then making a game like games that are already out is a bad idea."

As for pvp, I don't really like the idea of removing the trinity.  GW2 tried it and their pvp is pretty boring.

There is no hard- or softlock for targets (that we know of), combat has collisions, attack animations restrict movement and there are short telegraphs for attacks. Their intent sounds like a hybrid of wildstar and tera combat and they have stated both games has inspired crowfall combat. I wouldn't call either of those games combat systems traditional, although as you pointed out, it has been done before.

I will definitely agree that removing regular healers is huge, since it changes the whole flow of group PvP combat which is what crowfall is all about. The issue with telegraphs is minor in comparison, and I find that collisions together with combat animations restricting movement will have a much bigger effect on combat than telegraphs ever will.

As you state later on, wildstar use of telegraphs was stupid, and I agree that wildstar went full retard with their telegraphs. I doubt crowfall will repeat that mistake.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.

Yeah, they should invent something competely new never seen before, just make it like FPS. Oooh, tehres also MMOFPS so thats out of the window too.

Dood, just ignore the game if ti bothers you that much, they never mentioned its stale because of combat, there has been quite various combat systems lately, didnt you see all the whines that all new MMOs DONT have traditional combat?

WSs combat is NOT traditional nor can it be stale. If you think combat tahts less that 1 year out is stale, but propose something 7 - 15 years old as not stale lol

Okay... Well you are trying a little too hard to be edgy and in my face with your replies.  While I am just casually talking to you in mine. So here is my last reply, because I'm tired and going to sleep.

Did you even read my hair brained idea for combat? I didn't say fps, I said realistic.  As in targeting body parts to either disarm their weapon(s) or dismember them.  Like if you hit their arm in the right spot or with the right amount of force it cuts it off.  Making for a crazy fight.  You seem to put words in my mouth with each reply, things that I never even wrote.  And originally I was just talking about telegraphs as a mechanic, and you turned it towards combat itself.  When I then tried to steer the conversation towards the game overall, you take it right back to only talking about combat.

I never even said that they stated the genre was stale because of combat.  It was the entire genre as a whole that had grown stale.  And I never said Wildstar's combat was traditional, nor did I use the word traditional to describe anything in our conversation. 

Nor did I say that Wildstar's combat was stale.  Nor did I say that any mmo from 7-15 years ago was fresh.  I really don't understand how you got any of that from what I've been writing to you.  Again, I don't know why you keep focusing solely on combat in our exchanges while I never made that the focal point.

So to end this weird merry-go-round of confusion.  When you reply to somebody you need to fully understand what it is that you are reading, and then reply in a coherent manner.

Okay... Well you are trying a little too hard to be edgy and in my face with your replies.  While I am just casually talking to you in mine. So here is my last reply, because I'm tired and going to sleep.

Did you even read my hair brained idea for combat? I didn't say fps, I said realistic.  As in targeting body parts to either disarm their weapon(s) or dismember them.  Like if you hit their arm in the right spot or with the right amount of force it cuts it off.  Making for a crazy fight.  You seem to put words in my mouth with each reply, things that I never even wrote.  And originally I was just talking about telegraphs as a mechanic, and you turned it towards combat itself.  When I then tried to steer the conversation towards the game overall, you take it right back to only talking about combat.

I never even said that they stated the genre was stale because of combat.  It was the entire genre as a whole that had grown stale.  And I never said Wildstar's combat was traditional, nor did I use the word traditional to describe anything in our conversation. 

Nor did I say that Wildstar's combat was stale.  Nor did I say that any mmo from 7-15 years ago was fresh.  I really don't understand how you got any of that from what I've been writing to you.  Again, I don't know why you keep focusing solely on combat in our exchanges while I never made that the focal point.

So to end this weird merry-go-round of confusion.  When you reply to somebody you need to fully understand what it is that you are reading, and then reply in a coherent manner.

Isn't this the game that was making a big deal out of how stale the genre has become, and how they are going to go back to the roots of what made mmorpg's fun to play?

Wildstar telegraphs sure sounds like the complete opposite of that!

*whistle*

Yeah, youre right i should think that you thought something completely opposite than what you write AND in a thread about combat (mostly WS)

lol

No they are not going for EQ/WoW series of games, but UO/EvE/Shadowbane series, something thats has been quite neglected because of all EQ/WoW clones.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

telegraphs are ok for boss / pvp aoe , other than that i hate it

who want to play this again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kn9QUfUcnqs#t=1019

no, thanks

• xMyth1xMyth1 Member Posts: 11

I'm postive that telegraphs will be optional so only 'you' can see the effects of powers - and not the opponent, because it doesn't work well in larger scale battles. :)

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by Skuall

telegraphs are ok for boss / pvp aoe , other than that i hate it

who want to play this again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kn9QUfUcnqs#t=1019

no, thanks

Indeed. One could argue that singleplayer mechanics don't work in MMO's and that such telegraphs are needed to make things clear.

But once you get more than 5 or so players together in PvP you won't be able to track what everyone is doing anyhow. Let alone in mass PvP.

PvP in Wildstar gave me a massive freaking headache and I'm not even generally susceptible to that. 

Just remove the effects, let people figure out the range of eachother's attacks by themselves. It's something they'll need to do anyway, telegraphs or not.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• IridescentJoeIridescentJoe Member Posts: 89
    Prolly there is an option to turn the telegraphs off. Die faster though.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I think I would keep mine turned on probably die a lot or else but they should give everyone an option to turn it off. I wonder though how many would actually end up turning it off or merely just complain about them being too distracting and a nuisance in large raids and such. May be they can give a graded method where you can turn off friendly telegraphs and turn on only hostile ones but there's friendly fire in this game right so turning friendly telegraphs off would be a no-no.
    Chamber of Chains