Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trials of Ascension Kickstarter is live!

Comments

• MyobiMyobi Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

Of course it's not a game yet. They're trying to make it a game and they need money to do that. Tell you what, you make an MMO and tell us how long it took you. I'll be looking in about 15 years for your answer. I hope you have a way to support yourself in the meantime.

Why? Because they're game designers rather than coders? Because they  are asking for financial support to build something that the big companies won't do?

And yet here you are, along with a few others, along with all the effort put into that original hit piece, carrying this to a level that's best described as "intensely vindictive".

First off, I didn't say you were "working for Curse". I said that MMO Champion was a Curse site. At the top of that page...

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1536961-Trials-of-Ascension-Shady-Practices-and-the-Big-Crowdfunding-Debate

...is a little drop down menu, "Curse Sites". And in that menu it lists MMO Champion. Am I wrong?

Secondly, I didn't say you guys were being paid to post here with your anti-ToA bullcrap. I said I SUSPECTED that you all are linked in to RMT and that that was why I SUSPECTED that you all don't like Sandbox games because they don't offer anything close to the same level of scripting and cash shop items to make money off of. Alas, that's just a suspiction as I specified with: "(I THINK, not real sure as I ran out of time when I was looking it over. They do sell a subscription to their site at Curse.)" And I know it's impossible to prove.

But I'll tell you, the degree of pure hate and energy from you all is strange, to say the least. Your personal war against this particular game effort leaves many questions.

No one's forcing you or anyone else to do anything. Yeah, now it's "robbery".  This is just heading into the "deep end" of things.

/facepalm

Dat interpretation, people were saying that it wasn't a scam since they weren't forcing anyone to donate, I just said if they were, it would be called a robbery, not a possible scam.

Edited: Oh, I just noticed now that you answered my post inside my own quote, cool.

I wouldn’t bother making an MMORPG, because I don’t have the skills required for it, of course I could do like some people around there, that ask for donations in order to hire someone to do it for me! But we both know how well that will work out in the end…

Why? Oh true! I forget that people here start calling me a troll and a liar without even reading what people write! My first post, go read it, I won’t bother repeating myself to you.

Also, I’ll be honest with you, no matter how you feel like putting it, that curse “theory”, is just hilarious, I mean, we are obviously members of Illuminati! Anyone already noticed it.

Originally posted by Adjuvant1

Why? Because they're game designers rather than coders? Because they  are asking for financial support to build something that the big companies won't do?

Who says they're game designers? What qualifies them as game designers? What credentials do they have as game designers?

I guess in today's circuit everyone's a game designer. Apparently, everyone with 50 bucks is an alpha tester and that's a big fat joke, too. People go to school for this stuff, man. People labor under tutelage in studios for years in lesser positions before they're "game designers" and it usually includes recognition for their talents in programming or graphic arts.

Nonsense, I say. Un-freakin-real.

I'm glad that people like you don't determine who can do what in the free world. Talk about unreal.

yes, because since it's a free world, I’m free to entitle myself as a lawyer and make a profit from it.

Jeez, time to move out from lálá land mate.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Tell them next summer, if they want to pretend they're astronauts, I'll support the crowd funding to launch them into space.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    Originally posted by deathshroud

i backed the game. Mainly because its the kind of mmo i want to see more of.

But i give this game very little chance of reaching its 600,000 goal. A niche mmo with no existing license or world to draw from being made by first time developers would be lucky to get 300,000.

Hate on mortal online all you like but it was released without a kickstarter and is now 5 years on and still going and no i dont play it.

I don't think we really want to start the MO comparisons...

Let's just agree that their method of funding is "unique" in how they have lost money every single quarter since the one they launched in including the one that just past.  Not sure if it's 5 years like you said, but it's close.

I backed TOA reflexively because I am a sucker for the limited tier stuff.  I will likely re-evaluate as it get's closer to the kickstarter end if they seem likely to fund (which at this point seems very unlikely).

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• JuvencusJuvencus Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by emota
    Originally posted by Gemin1

I remain confused, where is the scam?

If you do not want to support them with money, don't.

These comments seem to be overflowing with tinfoil.

Totally agree.

Also im confused as a result of the energy and effort of hostility towards the project, specifically by those two who wall of txt everything in an effort to justify their position.

Key word here is Justify.

Myobi has provided an excess of links, images and posts in order to back up their positions, yet ToA fans have only replied with "trolls" and "liers".

I'm really having a hard time accepting that ToA fans don't seem to realise that the burden of proof lies on the shoulders of ToA and not the opposition AND YET Myobi is the one providing the evidence here.

ToA fans' actions are the definition of a cult, not being able to see past their idealism or even consider other opinions. And you wonder why people don't take you seriously.

But apparently it seems like it's the people who are opposed to something that need to prove themselves and not the people who ask for monetary investements.

• SporkguySporkguy Member Posts: 18

Myobi, I asked about the Kickstarter content, because I have already read what you said about the business practices and I am not suspicious by how they are attempting to make the game.

I don't need to talk anymore about the MMO Champion Thread because you guys aren't on trial in this thread.  I was asking about the Kickstarter content because to me the Business practice stuff wasn't convincing.  That's all.

ToA fans' actions are the definition of a cult, not being able to see past their idealism or even consider other opinions. And you wonder why people don't take you seriously.

Hi.  We're right here.  Not a cult.  Support the game?  Yes.  Sorry you disagree.

Originally posted by Sporkguy

Hi.  We're right here.  Not a cult.  Support the game?  Yes.  Sorry you disagree.

I know you are here. That's why I replied.

I just can't fathom how you just dismiss anything you don't like and the amount of audacity with which you do so.

Juvencus, I got no beef with you, we are just on different sides of this.  If there is any one thing you want me to respond to, feel free to ask.  I just encourage people to check out the Kickstarter and decide if you think the project looks good or not.
    Juvencus, I got no beef with you, we are just on different sides of this.  If there is any one thing you want me to respond to, feel free to ask.  I just encourage people to check out the Kickstarter and decide if you think the project looks good or not.

Oh don't take what I write personally. I was responding in general, it just happened to be your post to be quoted.

I appreciate the clarification.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Looks promising. I wish forged chaos all the best. Seems like a lot of money left to be raised in only a short time.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

For those who are trying to tear down ToA: I would not waste your energy. KS is not looking very likely to succeed:

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/forgedchaos/trials-of-ascension/

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by superconducting

For those who are trying to tear down ToA: I would not waste your energy. KS is not looking very likely to succeed:

edit: I read that wrong. nevermind.

further edit: I'm bad at reading comprehension tonight. Also, did you like my astronaut humor?

This is something they don't want understand, even without MMO-Champ thread the result would be the same, in fact, it was in their first Kickstarter attempt. There is just so many things wrong about the idea itself and how they are "developing" it that I could write a bloody book about it…

Also for those feeling offended by the use of the term “cultist”, this is one of the reasons why people keep mentioning it: http://i.imgur.com/oFkUzJo.png

"There has been no news from FC themselves, no instruction on what fans should do/shouldn't do, no guidance on how to combat the negativity"

Sounds like a freaking holy war going on around here, jesus.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Originally posted by Myobi

This is something they don't want understand, even without MMO-Champ thread the result would be the same, in fact, it was in their first Kickstarter attempt. There is just so many things wrong about the idea itself and how they are "developing" it that I could write a bloody book about it…

Also for those feeling offended by the use of the term “cultist”, this is one of the reasons why people keep mentioning it: http://i.imgur.com/oFkUzJo.png

"There has been no news from FC themselves, no instruction on what fans should do/shouldn't do, no guidance on how to combat the negativity"

I really can't understand this premature KS comeback. Why did they set the goal at 80% of the previous KS when the game only looks slightly better, the KS presentation is still unimpressive (going from poor to mediocre; monotone to near-monotone), and the ideas still seem unconvincing (are you really going to sell me on "putting the RPG back into MMORPG?")

You know what they say folks-- If you keep doing what you're doing, you're gonna keep getting what you're getting.

I really can't understand this premature KS comeback. Why did they set the goal at 80% of the previous KS when the game only looks slightly better, the KS presentation is still unimpressive (going from poor to mediocre; monotone to near-monotone), and the ideas still seem unconvincing (are you really going to sell me on "putting the RPG back into MMORPG?")

You know what they say folks-- If you keep doing what you're doing, you're gonna keep getting what you're getting.

""Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity? Insanity is doing the exact same fucking thing over and over again, expecting shit to change." - Vas

All I'll say about that video is that.... lacks on a good and solid demonstration of the gameplay, I would rather just watch 10 minutes of a random player playing the game than all those “epic” glimpses of gameplay flashing before my eyes with the majestic song and all that crap…

In fact, if there are players already testing the game, I was wondering if Forged Chaos would be okay with streaming a little of gameplay, just 5-10 minutes,  we are all aware that the game is still pre-alpha, that bugs will show up, but that is pretty normal in any alpha ~ 

Hoping the do stream a little, Myobi, although there are a few of these videos already on the internet including the one they streamed live on Ten Ton Hammer, but I want to see the further improvements myself.

No need to question if there "if there are" testers in the game at this point - there are.  I was offered a few testing dates myself but couldn't attend for a few reasons.

• Gemin1Gemin1 Member UncommonPosts: 13

Originally posted by emota
    Originally posted by Gemin1

I remain confused, where is the scam?

If you do not want to support them with money, don't.

These comments seem to be overflowing with tinfoil.

Totally agree.

Also im confused as a result of the energy and effort of hostility towards the project, specifically by those two who wall of txt everything in an effort to justify their position.

Well, when you force somone to give them money, it ain't a scam, its robbery.

How do you force someone on the internet to give you money?!

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

my main issues with the game and why i think it wont hit kickstarter. (i already backed the game and hope it does succeed however)

1. obviously the lack of experience of the development team

2. lack of publicity for the game.

3. slow progress and little has been shown.

4. hefty kickstarter goal and if it doesnt hit 600k then they got nothing and the money is returned.

5. many recent kickstarters have either failed to materialize or failed to deliver what was promised.

6. no well known license or world to draw from.

7. niche mmo with full pvp

8. 3 races to choose from that are vastly different in a full pvp game means ridiculous balancing issues.

9. most of the game is still whats planned and not what we have currently.

10. mediocre graphics at best.

what i expect FC  to do..

cancel the kickstarter in about 2 weeks then launch the goals on thier website were people can pay to play in the alpha similar to what LIF did. essentially using kickstarter as a means of gaining interest in the game, then offering a method of payment that has no goal or timetable.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Hoping the do stream a little, Myobi, although there are a few of these videos already on the internet including the one they streamed live on Ten Ton Hammer, but I want to see the further improvements myself.

No need to question if there "if there are" testers in the game at this point - there are.  I was offered a few testing dates myself but couldn't attend for a few reasons.

This is one of the red flags, raised by ToA, for me. Any game, however tight the NDA will have leaks.

And the lack of player content from the testing/alpha/pre-alpha whatever is profound. Not even screenshots.

• HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453

For those who are trying to tear down ToA: I would not waste your energy. KS is not looking very likely to succeed:http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/forgedchaos/trials-of-ascension/

Why must people go big or go home with these kickstarters? If they had asked for a smaller amount then later had another kickstarter for the remainder of the money when they had more gameplay to show I'm sure it would have worked out better.

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

• minideedminideed Member UncommonPosts: 32

Was about to donate when I read up on the Full loot PvP aspect of the game and quickly decided not to bother. I hate PvP in any MMO but I also know it is generally a part of it, but to risk losing you own stuff to asshat greifers is going to shy everybody I know away from this game.

I want an MMORPG where is is only PvE elements and PvP being only is designated areas such as arenas. I want to be able to go around and PvE without wondering if some retard high level character is going to run up, kill me and take my gear. Hell, Lineage 2 has real open world PvP but you don't risk losing you shit unless you have karma built up; and if you do then you deserve to lose your stuff for being a PK'r. :)

Looked good but going to pass on this one.

I'd say people have to be selective of content shown in the early stages.  I mean, Project Titan was never shown to the public, and Nintendo was very selective of showing Star Fox at E3 for similar reasons.  Now, there are testing videos on the web, and of course FC has more of an imperative to show, but they should be somewhat selective at this point.
  • srsgamer69srsgamer69 Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by deathshroud

cancel the kickstarter in about 2 weeks then launch the goals on thier website were people can pay to play in the alpha similar to what LIF did. essentially using kickstarter as a means of gaining interest in the game, then offering a method of payment that has no goal or timetable.

You forgot the step where they blame the lack of exposure and blame that they didn't convey what they wanted to do properly.

TOA has been one big blame everyone else game by Brax and Co for a long time. They blamed the publishers wanting to have some say as to why they didn't get funded (reality is they probably never had a solid offer from a publisher), they blame people for not getting their vision, and they blame other mmorpgs for watering down the genre.

Dear  TOA,

your product is NOT unique.

Your vision is going to be the exact same as every other "sandbox" mmorpg ever.

Even if you release it will be a grief fest with full pvp no matter how many restrictions you put or how your reputation system works.

Put YOUR money where your mouth is, commercial loans, personal loans, friends and family, investors. Stop depending on your dedicated fans to make the game.

Your kickstarter is a joke when it comes to repeating the SAME mistakes, your negativity in the industry is why no one is taking you seriously. You sit there and bash what everyone else is doing instead of promoting what your game is doing.

No one gives a shit that your game is hardcore, no one gives a shit that you don't do mini maps, no one gives a shit that you need food/water to survive. The only thing people give a shit about is WHAT you CAN do, not what you're forcing them to endure to DO that stuff.

I'd say people have to be selective of content shown in the early stages.  I mean, Project Titan was never shown to the public, and Nintendo was very selective of showing Star Fox at E3 for similar reasons.  Now, there are testing videos on the web, and of course FC has more of an imperative to show, but they should be somewhat selective at this point.

None of which have/had player testers, like ToA claims to have.

Wouldn't you trust a player-made video over a dev.-made video to show both positives and negatives of a game?

I know I would.

This discussion has been closed.