Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Archeage: Being AFK is now completely legal !

Comments

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    If they really wanted to fix things, they'd give non-subscribers slow LP gain while offline and reduce online gain to compensate.
  • askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Yup, things have gotten THAT bad !

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?162560-ArcheAge-NA-Maintenance-2-10-15-at-8-00-AM-PST-(GMT-8)

The AFK kick mechanism is being removed.

Why ?

Because people are circumventing AFK timer kick in 10 billion ways already 

removing the AFK timer kick makes the most sense - as it helps everyone regen labor - patrons and Free accounts - this changes helps ALL players.

Don't you see this is a good thing in reality - if XL really wanted to be greedy they'd still be going after AFK kick timers to force labor potion sales.

The fact that they're backing away from this and allow everyone to stay logged in and regen labor - this is a victory for the players.

But I guess anything positive about AA is a big no-no here.

Yeah, it's a "good change" if you accept (and have integrated in your reasoning) the "Labor points" mechanics as a given - so for AA it is a good change.

In the grand scheme of things (that is: looking at other models/games) though, the whole system is still dodgy as far as I understand it, and it is just a slight QoL improvement to a system flawed to the bones.

Also, aren't there priority queues for subscribers if I understand correctly?

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?162560-ArcheAge-NA-Maintenance-2-10-15-at-8-00-AM-PST-(GMT-8)

Why ?

removing the AFK timer kick makes the most sense - as it helps everyone regen labor - patrons and Free accounts - this changes helps ALL players.

Don't you see this is a good thing in reality - if XL really wanted to be greedy they'd still be going after AFK kick timers to force labor potion sales.

The fact that they're backing away from this and allow everyone to stay logged in and regen labor - this is a victory for the players.

Are you SERIOUS ?

We should applaud Trion/XLGames for allowing us to remain logged-in to the game 24/7 so that when we actually play the game we get a reasonable amount of enjoyment without constantly having to spend money in the Cash Shop ? In what world is this considered good game design ?

Just as we should be immensely grateful to Trion/XLGames for adding Rumbling Saplings to the Cash Shop ? After all, that gives players a very democratic and easy way to get around the dreadful drop rate of TS trees in the actual game...

When developers start allowing laborious (or expensive) "work-arounds" to circumvent the restrictions of their own game design, it's painfully obvious that all is not well. That's just simple manipulation. Trying to pass that off as a "benefit to players" is just ludicrous.

What's next from the "King of Spin" ?

Will you be writing a post to praise the wonderful benefits of P2W games, where players are freed of the drudgery of mindless grinding ? Where players have complete control over their destiny and can shape their game play in any way they desire ? 

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

Why ?

Are you SERIOUS ?

We should applaud Trion/XLGames for allowing us to remain logged-in to the game 24/7 so that when we actually play the game we get a reasonable amount of enjoyment without constantly having to spend money in the Cash Shop ? In what world is this considered good game design ?

Just as we should be immensely grateful to Trion/XLGames for adding Rumbling Saplings to the Cash Shop ? After all, that gives players a very democratic and easy way to get around the dreadful drop rate of TS trees in the actual game...

When developers start allowing laborious (or expensive) "work-arounds" to circumvent the restrictions of their own game design, it's painfully obvious that all is not well. That's just simple manipulation. Trying to pass that off as a "benefit to players" is just ludicrous.

What's next from the "King of Spin" ?

Will you be writing a post to praise the wonderful benefits of P2W games, where players are freed of the drudgery of mindless grinding ? Where players have complete control over their destiny and can shape their game play in any way they desire ? 

hehe they added in tress you can buy for cash in order to increase your chance for a thunderstruck?  Damn

Next they will start making the world and login servers have "issues" but fear not loyal suckers...errr players for you can buy this potion that lasts for 24 hours and will guarantee the server stays stable most of the time!

• BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425

Hilarious how people actually think it is a good thing that you are allowed to stay online 24/7 to get enough Labor to do anything meaningful (even when you subscribe)The problem are not the AFK people, or methods to circumvent it, it is the result of a stupid labor system that does nothing for the game, even though the hardcore fans will try to convince you its to balance the economy.

This game will go down in history as the shortest lived MMORPG, I bet it won't make the 1 year mark.

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538

Why ?

Any game where it's a good thing to be AFK is a bad game.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Whatever,

I ran the hell away from the game after I personaly experienced Trion's way of letting players get away with horrrendous exploits and cheats/hacks as long as there were enaugh  credit card transactions done beforehand.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by steelwind
    Originally posted by Jabas

I must missing something here, what is so bad about this annoucement?

Players do what they can to be afk, auto-open something in a full inventory, auto-attack a enemy building in safe zone, etc, and all this is allow so better remove afk kick. When there was queues the afk kick was need it, now not anymore.

There are a few things about AA that i agree deserve some critics, but this? really?

Basically....those of us left whom are still willing to speak ANY positive about AA are being shown the door. Regardless how far the game has come, what has improved or fixed is not relevant. Those on MMORPG.com are forever locked into what happened during the first month and are in endless need of validation for their decision to leave.

So the only option we have here at MMORPG.com is to either sheep it up and agree with the vocal minority or leave. No other opinion is tolerated or even discussed any longer. I have NEVER seen so much toxicity revolving around a video game in my entire life. The behavior of the community I feel is completely unique when it comes to AA. It's like a generation of children whom had a life of having everything handed to them suddenly decided to play video games and their first game was AA.

Here is what I learned about this new breed of gamers that I never knew existed prior to AA

• Grass is greener! Obsessed with keeping up with the Jones's. What others have consumes them and impacts their enjoyment of the game.
    • Huge lack of self control when spending on the cash shop and will spend until they are broke then blame the dev's for making them spend their money.
    • They expect dev's to make games FOR THEM FOR FREE. Anything of any value in a free game that is charged for, immediately becomes P2W in their eyes.
    • A game gets two weeks -  month most post launch. If it isn't 100% perfect by then, onto the next one.
    • Need constant validation that they made the right choice by getting others to agree every chance they get.
    • Are in a constant state of looking for the next game while condemning every new game that releases.
    • Love to come up with derogatory slang terms (White Knight, p2w, Trino) for the opposition in lieu of actual discussion.
    • Never loyal to a single game
    Players like this will be the end of MMORPG's and this kind of player will NEVER find their perfect game nor will dev's ever create it. You can never please that which is completely unreasonable by design.

Same here. Been playing since release and really enjoy the game, but this place is NOT the place to mention anything positive about it.

Maybe time to change that.

The changes to afk now will give us the calculated but formerly missed Laborpoints back.

Thumbs up Trion, way to go.

Oh and btw, to mention ist again, the game had no afk kick ever.

It was only introduced because of the overhelming big playerbase and the queue's that been installed.

• farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305

being afk is perfectly valid in any MMORPG it was not fair to people in qeues in the first time but now qeues are gone so why shopuldnt anyone who want to stay afk ?

Do he breath your air sir ?

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by farbege

being afk is perfectly valid in any MMORPG it was not fair to people in qeues in the first time but now qeues are gone so why shopuldnt anyone who want to stay afk ?

Some people don't like spending real life dollars for the sole purpose of making their numbers bigger in a video game.  Thats why people have a problem with it.

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn
    Originally posted by farbege

Some people don't like spending real life dollars for the sole purpose of making their numbers bigger in a video game.  Thats why people have a problem with it.

MMORPG worlds are designed to be there 24 / 7  and won't wait for when you have time to login for your playtime session habbits to make it fair for you.

You missed the genre and shoould play some singleplayer or some shooter.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Jabas

I must missing something here, what is so bad about this annoucement?

Players do what they can to be afk, auto-open something in a full inventory, auto-attack a enemy building in safe zone, etc, and all this is allow so better remove afk kick. When there was queues the afk kick was need it, now not anymore.

There are a few things about AA that i agree deserve some critics, but this? really?

Basically....those of us left whom are still willing to speak ANY positive about AA are being shown the door. Regardless how far the game has come, what has improved or fixed is not relevant. Those on MMORPG.com are forever locked into what happened during the first month and are in endless need of validation for their decision to leave.

So the only option we have here at MMORPG.com is to either sheep it up and agree with the vocal minority or leave. No other opinion is tolerated or even discussed any longer. I have NEVER seen so much toxicity revolving around a video game in my entire life. The behavior of the community I feel is completely unique when it comes to AA. It's like a generation of children whom had a life of having everything handed to them suddenly decided to play video games and their first game was AA.

Here is what I learned about this new breed of gamers that I never knew existed prior to AA

• Grass is greener! Obsessed with keeping up with the Jones's. What others have consumes them and impacts their enjoyment of the game.
    • Huge lack of self control when spending on the cash shop and will spend until they are broke then blame the dev's for making them spend their money.
    • They expect dev's to make games FOR THEM FOR FREE. Anything of any value in a free game that is charged for, immediately becomes P2W in their eyes.
    • A game gets two weeks -  month most post launch. If it isn't 100% perfect by then, onto the next one.
    • Need constant validation that they made the right choice by getting others to agree every chance they get.
    • Are in a constant state of looking for the next game while condemning every new game that releases.
    • Love to come up with derogatory slang terms (White Knight, p2w, Trino) for the opposition in lieu of actual discussion.
    Players like this will be the end of MMORPG's and this kind of player will NEVER find their perfect game nor will dev's ever create it. You can never please that which is completely unreasonable by design.

Same here. Been playing since release and really enjoy the game, but this place is NOT the place to mention anything positive about it.

problem is most problem with AA are still there, P2W CS, "normalization" on mount and glider speed, said they will even normalize vehicles too, single cast on tripple slash, holding back content to try to prolong the spawn life of the game forcing us to use the lvl 55 skill tree capped on lvl 50, bot ahcks still around, lack of information and lieing without shame even when we know they was lieing.

thing is trion since the new president takes charge is not the same as when rift was made, from a good company we know they could make good thing, to become somewhere around sony lvl of distrust its a pretty big thing, and we have only trion to blame for it

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    The quality of Rift and its flawless launch put this company is really good standing with MMOers. The way they kept up content and updates showed they cared. How things have unfolded with this game makes me think this is not even the same company.

like I said its not the same since teh new president takes charge, now they are like all other just overcharge for skin we spend like 10 min to make and cash-ing.

also curious everyone was betting they would launch teh lvl 55 cap and diamond shores aroudn teh time when most patrol sub was out, then this week they anounce diamond shores right around teh time everyone said it would, well like always someone will try to defend but meh, worse blind is the one who don't want to see

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • WyzeThawtWyzeThawt Member Posts: 15

so tired of hearing how this mismanaged game is still being mismanaged.

What do you expect?

Move on to bigger and better things like the rest of us because posting about it here does nothing.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by WyzeThawt

What do you expect?

Move on to bigger and better things like the rest of us because posting about it here does nothing.

People who  come around looking for new games have the right to know what they are getting into.

Originally posted by StarI
    Originally posted by WyzeThawt

What do you expect?

People who  come around looking for new games have the right to know what they are getting into.

You don't get kicked for being afk and can be connected 24 / 7 in the world in Archeage.

Now spread the word about it.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

problem is most problem with AA are still there, P2W CS, "normalization" on mount and glider speed, said they will even normalize vehicles too, single cast on tripple slash, holding back content to try to prolong the spawn life of the game forcing us to use the lvl 55 skill tree capped on lvl 50, bot ahcks still around, lack of information and lieing without shame even when we know they was lieing.

Let me help you out because it seems as though you are no longer playing and are getting your news from the vocal minority as opposed to those who actually play the game.

1. P2W CS - Trion has started adding these items to the loyalty shop thus giving an alternative to the CS. Example being Rumbling trees and the Sloth glider. The rest of the items are simply pay to progress faster. Those whom state "p2w" are simply using their credit card to progress faster. There are those like myself who are willing to EARN it slower over time and could care less what other players have and how they got it. The end result is that I will have that same gear too but it will just take me longer.
    2. "Normalization" on mount and glider speed - As stated on the live streams Trion has already taking player feedback into account and are adding another tier for gliders and mounts. This will give the harder to come by mounts and gliders more value and will bring them in line with their original vision.
    3. Holding back content (level 55) - If they released with level 55, it is likely the game would not have released yet. Not to mention why would you release with level 55 when no other region did? It's a increase in level cap and most games don't see it for much longer than AA did. Not to mention it had to be translated and retooled. If you actually look into the decision, it was a good one. This is because they didn't release it in the state that KR was but instead tooled it for our region thus possibly making it better. One example of that is making Diamond Shores a pvp zone whereas in other regions it is PvE. Also releasing Diamond Shores too quickly would invalidate a lot of content as well as players needed a base level for gear beforehand.
    4. Bot hacks still around - I would venture to say it has been greatly minimized. Land hacks are nearly non-existant as I have had countless properties demoed in prime time with NO OPPOSITION not to mention all my friends have as well. Land hacks in game are not even talked about anymore, if they were still happening we'd feel it and see it in chat like we did when it was mainstream. Mail spam is nearly gone and bots while still there are heavily hampered which is reflected in the skyrocketing prices in the economy.
    5. Lack of information and lieing - With the addition of Archeage's new producer, Merv Lee Kwai communication is at an all-time high. They are once again back to doing live streams but this time are answering just about any question that is being asked. They have also provided a detailed roadmap to the patches with a goal to catch up to KR this year. We are getting level 55/Diamond Shores the beginning of March, patch 1.7 two months later and 1.8 before the end of the year.
    I am sure I just wasted my time writing all of this and will likely get the detailed response of "white knight" but it is getting old hearing the broken record of outdated information to paint AA into something it isn't by those hell bent on seeing it fail. If you stop playing attention, you no longer have the right to comment on the state of the game!

If you are truly trying to "help" those looking into AA, by giving them biased outdated info you are doing THE EXACT OPPOSITE but I think that was the point all along.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Wow, so much angst in this thread. Are companies not supposed to make money? The labor restrictions (now, not originally) are a good way to push subs and cash sales. If you want labor points, you're better off paying. While I'm not a fan of the game myself, I also don't see what all the moaning is about in this thread.

<3

• PrayrPrayr Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Originally posted by nebb1234
    I wonder when they're gonna start selling pictures of spaceships...

OMG, I have not laughed this hard in a long time.

Our hobby providers will do anything for a dollar wont they?

Sad what it has come to... from pictures of ships to supporting and taking part in gold spamming from the same computer you log in with your dev account with.... 

What is more sad is  that we keep right on supporting the game makers. I am just as guilty as the next guy... what I am finding out though is that indi companies are less likely to prey on gamers.  I have found some really good games from small companies that are honest about what they are making and what to expect.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

Let me help you out because it seems as though you are no longer playing and are getting your news from the vocal minority as opposed to those who actually play the game.

1. P2W CS - Trion has started adding these items to the loyalty shop thus giving an alternative to the CS. Example being Rumbling trees and the Sloth glider. The rest of the items are simply pay to progress faster. Those whom state "p2w" are simply using their credit card to progress faster. There are those like myself who are willing to EARN it slower over time and could care less what other players have and how they got it. The end result is that I will have that same gear too but it will just take me longer.
    2. "Normalization" on mount and glider speed - As stated on the live streams Trion has already taking player feedback into account and are adding another tier for gliders and mounts. This will give the harder to come by mounts and gliders more value and will bring them in line with their original vision.
    3. Holding back content (level 55) - If they released with level 55, it is likely the game would not have released yet. Not to mention why would you release with level 55 when no other region did? It's a increase in level cap and most games don't see it for much longer than AA did. Not to mention it had to be translated and retooled. If you actually look into the decision, it was a good one. This is because they didn't release it in the state that KR was but instead tooled it for our region thus possibly making it better. One example of that is making Diamond Shores a pvp zone whereas in other regions it is PvE. Also releasing Diamond Shores too quickly would invalidate a lot of content as well as players needed a base level for gear beforehand.
    4. Bot hacks still around - I would venture to say it has been greatly minimized. Land hacks are nearly non-existant as I have had countless properties demoed in prime time with NO OPPOSITION not to mention all my friends have as well. Land hacks in game are not even talked about anymore, if they were still happening we'd feel it and see it in chat like we did when it was mainstream. Mail spam is nearly gone and bots while still there are heavily hampered which is reflected in the skyrocketing prices in the economy.
    5. Lack of information and lieing - With the addition of Archeage's new producer, Merv Lee Kwai communication is at an all-time high. They are once again back to doing live streams but this time are answering just about any question that is being asked. They have also provided a detailed roadmap to the patches with a goal to catch up to KR this year. We are getting level 55/Diamond Shores the beginning of March, patch 1.7 two months later and 1.8 before the end of the year.
    I am sure I just wasted my time writing all of this and will likely get the detailed response of "white knight" but it is getting old hearing the broken record of outdated information to paint AA into something it isn't by those hell bent on seeing it fail. If you stop playing attention, you no longer have the right to comment on the state of the game!

If you are truly trying to "help" those looking into AA, by giving them biased outdated info you are doing THE EXACT OPPOSITE but I think that was the point all along.

I still play and can verify all of this information other than the P2W.

Technically the game is slightly P2W, because assuming the person is an active player and spends a thousand dollars, they will undoubtedly be geared as hell. However, I very often win in duels against people who are in full enchanted epherium. I have half of a magnificent set/half GHA gear, decent jewelry and t3 hasla. People say there is no skill involved, but I am not playing a popular build and have basically average gear and win about 50-60% of one on one battles.

Besides this is just a game, and people pay to skip the part where you actually play serve only to fund the game for everyone else.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • RivolRivol Member UncommonPosts: 79

The obvious solution to the labor regen issue to have equal regen online/offline. Removing the afk kick was just a band-aid.

However I think we will never see equal labor regen rates for the simple fact that people would only log in for short periods, blow their labor points then log out to play a different game. At least if you are logged in, even tho afk, you may be tempted to partake in in-game activities eventually. For Trion, at best this may lead to more cash shop sales and at worst it gives the false impression that the population is healthy. Honestly, with equal regen rates the servers would look more like ghost towns than they do now.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Talonsin

I honestly dont know which is worse, the people you talk about or you.  Being on either extreme (fanatic or hater) is equally as bad for the community.

I liked the game, I hate the financial model.  I choose to no longer play the game since I dont want to see this type of payment model spread across the industry.  If AA was a big success and was able to hold lots of subbers and generated tons of money through its cash shop, what would be next?  Imagine if Rift only allowed subbers to raid once per two weeks unless they paid extra.  Imagine if Eve only allowed a person to fly two different ships per week unless they paid extra.  Imagine an MMO industry where skill level in crafting meant absolutely nothing and had no effect on the quality of crafted goods.  What if all MMOs changed their loot tables to only drop needed items to less than half a percent while at the same time adding a 10% chance at those items to the cash shop.  That is not the future of MMOs that I want to see and I am honestly glad that AA player numbers continue to fall. 

I understand you like the game and honestly, I do too.  I liked farming, fishing, gliding and doing trade runs but the more I played and the more I saw the direction of the financial model the more I realized I could not support it unless I wanted to have a hand in destroying the MMO industry that I love.  You can call me "toxic" or a "hater" and say I am never loyal to a game even though I have played Eve for over 7 years.  You can say I expect everything for free even though I paid for a beta package, made some purchases from the cash shop and subbed for several months.  You can say I didnt give the devs time when I played for many months and the greed I saw only got worse by adding rumbling trees to the cash shop.  You can say all these things about me to justify your blind love of the game but in the end, you would be wrong.

Awesome response. Your post is well written and represents my feelings, and attitude towards this game.

Kudos.

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

[quote] [i]Originally posted by Talonsin[/i] [b]I honestly dont know which is worse, the people you talk about or you.  Being on either extreme (fanatic or hater) is equally as bad for the community.[/b] [b]I liked the game, I hate the financial model.  I choose to no longer play the game since I dont want to see this type of payment model spread across the industry.  If AA was a big success and was able to hold lots of subbers and generated tons of money through its cash shop, what would be next?  Imagine if Rift only allowed subbers to raid once per two weeks unless they paid extra.  Imagine if Eve only allowed a person to fly two different ships per week unless they paid extra.  Imagine an MMO industry where skill level in crafting meant absolutely nothing and had no effect on the quality of crafted goods.  What if all MMOs changed their loot tables to only drop needed items to less than half a percent while at the same time adding a 10% chance at those items to the cash shop.  That is not the future of MMOs that I want to see and I am honestly glad that AA player numbers continue to fall. [/b] [b]I understand you like the game and honestly, I do too.  I liked farming, fishing, gliding and doing trade runs but the more I played and the more I saw the direction of the financial model the more I realized I could not support it unless I wanted to have a hand in destroying the MMO industry that I love.  You can call me "toxic" or a "hater" and say I am never loyal to a game even though I have played Eve for over 7 years.  You can say I expect everything for free even though I paid for a beta package, made some purchases from the cash shop and subbed for several months.  You can say I didnt give the devs time when I played for many months and the greed I saw only got worse by adding rumbling trees to the cash shop.  You can say all these things about me to justify your blind love of the game but in the end, you would be wrong.[/b][/quote] 

Hmm ... Rift ? You mean the "Purchase Soul Walk" button right on the res dialog ?

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

Why ?

• It will increase the apparent "server population", making it look like there's plenty of players at all times.
    • It may result in longer F2P queue times, which will encourage F2P players to switch to Patron.
    • It may tempt more players to try F2P and stay logged-in 24/7. Quite a few of those players may eventually convert to Patron to save themselves the bother.

The announcement will no doubt be welcomed by F2P players. And RMT bots.

Gotta love when someone tries to spin something into a conspiracy theory or to fit some kind of personal agenda. The AFK kick timer was only put into place to battle the queues at launch, that's it. It wasn't there in alpha, or in the other versions of the game that I'm aware of. It was simply a temporary fix that has been removed because it's no longer needed. You can take your tinfoil hat off now.

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by nebb1234
    I wonder when they're gonna start selling pictures of spaceships...

Yes lol,i   /facepalm every time i think of those intelligent spenders.

You mean in other games its not pictures!? Every game is smoke and mirrors. Get off your high horse.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Remember all the hype about this game being the next great thing? The one to conquer WoW? The one to make "sandpark" the new mainstream norm?

Yeah, I remember those days...