Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is Ultima Online now?

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

I've heard so much about this legendary game, but I've never played it.

How is it now? I wonder why all the people who wax nostalgic about this game don't play it now. I understand a lot of people weren't happy with this cataclysmic event called "Trammel."  Did this ruin the game? Or is it still playable?

I'm a total noob and I don't care about graphics. If a game is fun (and deep) I will endeavor to learn it and play it. But if it's a travesty because of p2w or some other compromises, then I don't want to waste my time.

Also, how is today's version of UO compared to other games (like Ashen Empires for example, which I just heard about today)?

In your opinion, is UO as it is now worth playing compared to other games on the market?

Comments

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330
    UO isn't what it used to be.  It has changed a lot and isn't as sandboxy as it was in the beginning  There is the Siege Perilous server which is still somewhat like the old UO, but that is about it.  Think SWG NGE, but not quite as bad as the NGE.
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Don't know, did purchase it way back in 2003 (just before dark age of camelot got released), but i could not connect to a single server at all, after 5 days of trying i took the game back, support was bloody useless.

Never bothered with it but have always wondered about it, however if like anything else the graphics and game would be extreamly well dated by now and would not relish the £9.49 monthly fee that it has (after all its been around since what 1997ish).

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    It's kind of sad to hear. I feel like I missed out on something.

• I actually went back to it after several years away over this past weekend.  Still had my account as I checked in on it from time to time.  Got caught up on expansions and went in.  I don't mind it.  Yeah its definitely not what it was in its prime...but I enjoy for now.  Can't say I'll stay subbed religiously, but I'm coming up on a vet reward next month so I'll at least stick it out until then.

It's definitely easier finding a section of land to place housing now lol.  Even on Atlantic Shard, which is has generally been the most populated since forever.  I still see people roaming around.  Fighting, mining, taming, etc.  Not what it once was, but I just got done with WoD on WoW...maxed my garrison and generally burnt on raiding rat race already...so UO has been a nice breath of air.  Currently crafting, skilling up, and slowly working on furnishing my own house from scratch, instead of vendor buying everything.

So yeah its not bad.  These days, the graphics will scare away most people...but it's still one of the best sandbox type games out there.  Long in the tooth, sure.  But it's held up in my opinion.