Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Western developers! Please make a no tricks mmo like ArchAge

Comments

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Deadlysynz
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by delete5230

An mmo like this one could be a gold mine if a Western developer made it.

Archeage is a niche game - a "western made archeage" wouldn't be a gold mine. The reason ArcheAge IS a gold mine is because of the current cash shop implementation.

- No cash shops or tricks to get are EXTRA cash.

This right here would not make it a goldmine - a couple of 100K players paying $15 a month is not exactly a gold mine - again it's a NICHE game

- Be smarter about housing and land and everything that is wrong with the game.

Smarter how? Would you elaborate on this?

- Be extra smart about making it a community, social, with no cross server nothing.

Like one AH per server?- this would be SO bad for the game - you have no idea single AH per server was a really bad idea in Korea - XL changed it for a reason you know, and that was one good change IMO

- Trion, stay out of it !  You proved yourself as no good.

They did? - have you looked at Trove/Rift/Defiance - at least judge them on their own games. Do we judge SoE on Dragon's Prophet? 

If finally we had an mmo that started out being a nitch would turn into a Mainstream mmo. The popularity would catch on. Im sure of this.

You're sure - on what basis? Gut instinct? Show actual market research and then come back on how "sure" you are.

Bottom line

Any new MMO that desires to be a TRUE GOLDMINE in 2015 and beyond MUST HAVE A CASH SHOP.

That is the only way my friend.

100% false.  

You and I both know if Blizzard decided to make an updated "WoW-Clone" and even add half of the sandbox style features to it that Archeage has, then slap a BoP/Subscription model to it, it would be a true goldmine.  A cash shop won't enhance sales, people don't take kindly to greed.

Basically if a company wanted to make a gold mine of a game, take the Archeage concept and do the exact opposite of what they did (including no cash shop, and no f2p)

WoW currently have a cash shop integrated to the game and any online game they will bring in future will always have cash shop, that much they have confirmed. Because cash shop is the only way in current and future market to keep the community away from outside economic influence : gold sellers, item sellers etc. and also generate a larger profit. it is a win-win for both players and developers/publishers. Constantly asking for "NO CASH SHOP" is borderline ignorant and devoid of realistic understanding.

And they didn't before, and look what has happened to the game compared to when it started.  But of course, the obvious young-in that you are hasn't the faintest idea of how an actual popular game works with longevity.

The closest you will get to a near perfect game, or a game with a near-perfect integrated cash shop is Gw2, and even then it is widely agreed the game would be far more of a cash cow if everything that was offered in the CS was available in the game via hard work.  Instead of having 2 million players.. what was it estimated 6+ million I think the last count was if the cash shop was scrapped?  It's pretty cut and dry my friend.

You seem to underestimate exactly how many people are anti-cash shop.  I don't mind using them as long as it's cosmetic, but i'm in a vast minority here.  You may like the cash shop, I don't mind the cash shop; however, there are hoards of more players that are completely against them an abstain from the game(s) entirely.

"keeping players away from outside economic influence"?... lol.  It's called giving them a reason to to exist in the first place or so few and far between you don't notice they're there and they have no economic impact.  Gw2 does it just fine; not long after launch, it was quite clear by how the market was and the availability of materials, it was completely pointless for a gold/item sellers to exist.

Now take a game and make 2 versions of it.  1 version is overwhelmed with gold/item sellers and a cash shop to supplement the income due to loss in subscriptions or purchases.  The other game is void of gold/item sellers and has no cash shop but everything is available in game at no extra cost.. Which one do you think players would migrate to?

Exactly..  

Now the point being, I'm right, and your wrong.  It would be your problem and your problem alone to continue to live in that dream world with white fluffy clouds where you think Cash shops are the answer.

Migrate to and then? how long will they play it? How much they will pay for it every year? how many subscription game came after wow and what is their condition now? Ignoring fact right before your eyes is "living in dream world", believing "cash shop is the source of evil" is living in dream world, bringing up a game that did not see any kind of major game update for 3 years; a game that ran seasonal events and called them "living stories" and then claiming "they are doing just fine" and implying "just fine" is perfectly acceptable for every game company is "living in dream world". You can choose to ignore fact and live in dream world of perfect mmo with no cash shop but companies that spend millions of dollars developing games can not do that. But please continue, i am sure someday in some dream world we will wake up and find an mmorpg that will not be mired by black market economy dealing which will ensure  developers will not have to worry about countering them and can peacefully develop games and provide a game with only 15$ monthly fee with no cash shop and will have 10 million players playing and paying for it. I am sure that day will come. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Control the hacking, botting, and other cheats, that's all I'm really asking any developer to do for future games.

+1

To OP you kidding right this games suck and I for one would not invest in such a game all the current games being released are all much of a like time to start thinking outside the box and the sooner the better imo.

Asbo

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Like Age of Wushu. Clone every system heck leave it in China if you have to.

AA was alright. I might have even liked it if I hadn't played Wushu. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by jesteralways

Archeage is a niche game - a "western made archeage" wouldn't be a gold mine. The reason ArcheAge IS a gold mine is because of the current cash shop implementation.

This right here would not make it a goldmine - a couple of 100K players paying $15 a month is not exactly a gold mine - again it's a NICHE game

Smarter how? Would you elaborate on this?

- Be extra smart about making it a community, social, with no cross server nothing.

Like one AH per server?- this would be SO bad for the game - you have no idea single AH per server was a really bad idea in Korea - XL changed it for a reason you know, and that was one good change IMO

They did? - have you looked at Trove/Rift/Defiance - at least judge them on their own games. Do we judge SoE on Dragon's Prophet? 

If finally we had an mmo that started out being a nitch would turn into a Mainstream mmo. The popularity would catch on. Im sure of this.

You're sure - on what basis? Gut instinct? Show actual market research and then come back on how "sure" you are.

Bottom line

Any new MMO that desires to be a TRUE GOLDMINE in 2015 and beyond MUST HAVE A CASH SHOP.

That is the only way my friend.

100% false.  

You and I both know if Blizzard decided to make an updated "WoW-Clone" and even add half of the sandbox style features to it that Archeage has, then slap a BoP/Subscription model to it, it would be a true goldmine.  A cash shop won't enhance sales, people don't take kindly to greed.

Basically if a company wanted to make a gold mine of a game, take the Archeage concept and do the exact opposite of what they did (including no cash shop, and no f2p)

WoW currently have a cash shop integrated to the game and any online game they will bring in future will always have cash shop, that much they have confirmed. Because cash shop is the only way in current and future market to keep the community away from outside economic influence : gold sellers, item sellers etc. and also generate a larger profit. it is a win-win for both players and developers/publishers. Constantly asking for "NO CASH SHOP" is borderline ignorant and devoid of realistic understanding.

Lately the norm. seems to be the cash shop, but I am not one of those that ever uses cash shop items to play a game. As long as it is not in my face every time I login I care less whether it is there. The reason I play a game is the content, combat and entertainment. If a game delivers it to me smoothly and consistently I will support it and usually do by choosing the subscription whether needed or optional (most F2P and B2P models have optional subscriptions).

ArcheAge failed with more than just the cash shop. The world was pieced together and many places felt like they never finished the zone; it was mostly empty and void of life. The combat was ok when things worked and didn't have lag issues. Much of this was the issue with not having a lag tolerance and ability queue system built in. Then there was the huge mishandling of the US/EU servers, launch and maintenance by Trion and let's not forget the hacking, glitching, botting and all that that plagues it even to this day. 

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

The cash shops ARE the answer - why do you think that majority of games have cash shops? Because its worse for them?

The fact that cash shops are becoming a standard in every MMO speaks for itself.

You are simply out of touch with the current trends in online gaming industry.

Again if you have any doubts - just look what current and future games monetization models are - cash shops reign supreme.

Yeah and NOT vaccinating kids was the answer too right? How is that turning out now?

Just because something is the new thing to do and a lot of people think its a good idea doesnt mean it is.

There will always be idiots who follow every trend of fad that gets introduced, thats why games are being made the way they are and some of these kick starts make a lot of moey or at least raise a lot of money. Still doesnt mean the product is any good or the longevity of it is sound. Thats exactly why these guys do what they do they get rich as quick as possible and then move on to something new under a different name (or try to) Or if they are a one hit wonder like Trion they try and milk that 'success' for as long and hard as they can. I think after the past 3 or 4 disatsers associated with Trion their goodwill is just about worn out by now. Even long time RIFT people arent even playing that game anymore (I deleted everything Trion related myself also including a RIFT account that I have had active since early access) because they have completely gone off the deep end. More ot do with their man Scott Hartsman return and promotion more than anything else because the timing of their demise and his return are perfectly aligned.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

LOL - no tricks? AA was a bait and switch game. It has a CS - you have to pay the CS to really play.

The game is one big trick.

• seigardseigard Member UncommonPosts: 286

Well, there is nothing magical with a game ''like Archeage'' to be honest. What makes it so special to begin with? Its combat? No the combat is so fucking bad there are asian f2p mmos that came out a decade ago and have better combat. What else makes it great?

Let me tell you, its the content.

It was an already released game that we started playing after there was so much content added into the game. You simply keep wanting to try more because you know there are things you dont get and havent tried yet. Along with this there are several nice things like the gliding and nice naval combat physics but these alone arent enough to create a successful mmo.

I completely agree with what OP said as how the marketing department should not be in the charge. And my point is that most of the games we have are failing currently not because they dont have the essentials Archeage has but because they all release at a point the game is not even finished or polished. Any recent game you name it, and they release it at a point where all the initial players drop never or very much later to return.

So at that point I think what Western MMOs should focus is not a type of Archeage replica but to focus on putting in content rather than hype.

Imagine some of these mediocre games we have with 3 years content worth release? Lets say ESO has 3 more years of content and releases the game at that point, not to mention the advantage Archeage had which is people already playing the game so they dont have any issues with testing or seeing what people want etc.

It is sad how Trion blew up an unbelievable opportunity, a long time played/tested game with fuck loads of content gone to the other mediocre games category.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Was it Asheron Call like this a bit? is a bit dated now, but didn't become a gold mine for them. Just people don't know what they want, they want it to be fair them, but when people want a system that's more sandbox they run away from it as sandbox game is not giving them what they want.

The land and housing was said over and over be limit on amount in the game for months, but seen the most complain about that in many places, I pay this I should get land, if they give everyone land, then is a less of a sandbox, people need to make up there mind.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Originally posted by rodarin

The cash shops ARE the answer - why do you think that majority of games have cash shops? Because its worse for them?

The fact that cash shops are becoming a standard in every MMO speaks for itself.

You are simply out of touch with the current trends in online gaming industry.

Again if you have any doubts - just look what current and future games monetization models are - cash shops reign supreme.

Yeah and NOT vaccinating kids was the answer too right? How is that turning out now?

Just because something is the new thing to do and a lot of people think its a good idea doesnt mean it is.

There will always be idiots who follow every trend of fad that gets introduced, thats why games are being made the way they are and some of these kick starts make a lot of moey or at least raise a lot of money. Still doesnt mean the product is any good or the longevity of it is sound. Thats exactly why these guys do what they do they get rich as quick as possible and then move on to something new under a different name (or try to) Or if they are a one hit wonder like Trion they try and milk that 'success' for as long and hard as they can. I think after the past 3 or 4 disatsers associated with Trion their goodwill is just about worn out by now. Even long time RIFT people arent even playing that game anymore (I deleted everything Trion related myself also including a RIFT account that I have had active since early access) because they have completely gone off the deep end. More ot do with their man Scott Hartsman return and promotion more than anything else because the timing of their demise and his return are perfectly aligned.

Im wasting my time here but there were vaccinated people that got sick right? So a unvaccinated person for someone protected, ill? Huh, thats odd. 

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    I do agree that if this game had been a subscription game it would have significantly peaked my curiosity.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I'm actually surprised at 42% to 30 %.  I would think " Yes " would be much higher then the  " no ".

I would think a better built mmo somewhat similar to ArcheAge would be welcome by all.

Therefore this tells me there are a lot of FREE PLAYERS looking for FREE games on this site.  I'm also willing to bet that If I didn't mention the " no F2P cash shop " in my description more would have voted " Yes ".

Unrelated to ArcheAge and being a veteran of mmorpg.com I've been having an unproven feeling for the last few years that most of the population here are people JUST looking for free games......I'm seen many occasions where people are unjustifiably sticking up for bad mmos.......JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE FREE !

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

Albion is close to that. 

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

I'm actually surprised at 42% to 30 %.  I would think " Yes " would be much higher then the  " no ".

I would think a better built mmo somewhat similar to ArcheAge would be welcome by all.

Therefore this tells me there are a lot of FREE PLAYERS looking for FREE games on this site.  I'm also willing to bet that If I didn't mention the " no F2P cash shop " in my description more would have voted " Yes ".

Unrelated to ArcheAge and being a veteran of mmorpg.com I've been having an unproven feeling for the last few years that most of the population here are people JUST looking for free games......I'm seen many occasions where people are unjustifiably sticking up for bad mmos.......JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE FREE !

I think most people dont want to take the time to do the stuff. They would rather have a cash shop, or something like that where they can just buy into the game, and be good. 

• SephrinxSephrinx Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Originally posted by mcrippins
    If Archeage would have been p2p then I think it would be the best MMO out so far, and i'd still be playing it. No cash shop or f2p accounts. Both of these things just killed it for me.

Pretty much this.

If it had just been P2P without all the "paygate" and "timegate" style BS, it would have been awesome. Also they need to add some PvE into the mix, I can only go around hunting pirates and running back and forth between cities for so long until I just quit. Which didn't take long.

imageimageimageimage

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

Don't really get it, even aside from blatant P2W cash shop abuse and terrible management / inability to ban hackers and duping the game is still very bad.

Linear, boring PVE - on rails questing, bad dungeons, terrible gear grinds (Hasla)

Terrible combat - heavily influenced by latency, CC spam fest, 2 second ttk, completely dependent on gear

Terrible arenas  - Just a way to show off P2W gear

Pointless World PvP - Halcyona LOL

Tradepacks = endgame - boring after 500 runs of the same old thing

Broken sieges

The only thing AA does a little better than other MMOs is farming / boats / The ability to flag and kill friendlies.

The open faction system and the ability to steal things from other players could be brought to other MMOs, but everything else in AA should just be flushed.

• real_gamer80real_gamer80 Member Posts: 7

This had nothing to do with the developer and everything to do with the publisher and their partnerships with in game community elements to help them cash grab as much money as they possibly could out of the users.    IMO it was a pure scam and was intended to be so from the beginning.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Control the hacking, botting, and other cheats, that's all I'm really asking any developer to do for future games.

Yep, this was the final straw for me.  I hate F2P games, so I went into it biased.  I was on a trade pack run with a friend.  My friend died instantly, saw a guy for a split second pick up the tradepack he was carrying, then vanish. About 10 seconds later, I died instantly...gotta love them instant kill and teleport hacks.

Then there's the whole P2W thing.  Yes, it's Pay to Win, because there was a guild that pooled their real life money together and by the end of the first week had been fully geared with the best gear, ships, and everything.  We ran into them on the open seas it was ~40 vs 10...we didn't kill a single one of them (they only had 10 players on their ship...)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

There is already a AA, why not try something no-one done before instead?

Besides, if a Western studio should remake some kind of game, thereare others that would be more fun, Asherons Call to mention one.

AA is a pretty new game, what you guys need is Trion to loose the rights and someone else to take over, nothing else.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

LOL, by the time you are done with the list of things you would like to see done differently, it will no longer be ArcheAge...

• jdizzle2k13jdizzle2k13 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Originally posted by Loke666

There is already a AA, why not try something no-one done before instead?

Besides, if a Western studio should remake some kind of game, thereare others that would be more fun, Asherons Call to mention one.

AA is a pretty new game, what you guys need is Trion to loose the rights and someone else to take over, nothing else.

Or for XL Games to give it to a different dev.

From what I understand, Trion doesn't actually have that much say in what goes into the game.

I don't mind cash shops in games, but a lot of my frustration with this game came with the heavy RNG in crafting.  Unlike other games, you're not guaranteed that you'll be able to make something really good.

Not to mention all the labor that's involved in making these items.  I don't really mind having a labor system, but when my crafting uses so much of it, it's a turn off for me.

Overall I think this game had great concepts but messed up on the execution.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    mmorpg's are dead

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by bingbongbros
    mmorpg's are dead

Incomes from many games beg to differ. If they are in decline right now or not depends on your opinion (most big developers seems to be focusing on other types of games like MOBAs) but a genre that earns billions of dollars every year is hardly dead.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    The labor points thing is really a big turn-off for me.  I don't like being limited in what I can do in a game, but I guess it being F2P they gotta make you spend money somehow.
  • AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by bingbongbros
    mmorpg's are dead

Incomes from many games beg to differ. If they are in decline right now or not depends on your opinion (most big developers seems to be focusing on other types of games like MOBAs) but a genre that earns billions of dollars every year is hardly dead.

Maybe you do not need to be alive to make billions of dollars.

It takes one to know one.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Well for such type of AAA ground based (as opposed to space EVE) mmorpg to be succesful they would have to control botting. cheating, hacking and all forms of gold selling&RMT.    Good luck.

Althrough if we let our fantasy fly, then yes it could be succesful and great fit for P2P - no cash shop model..