Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what this game is a Sandbox game with Classes? Lore rich but no quests? Just Crafting and Combat?

burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420

So your supposed to create your own stories by constant fighting or crafting? Killing dragons not for thier gold or Loot, but for materials for crafters to loot? I see how they are trying so hard to steer away from normal PVE, yet its creeping in, and I cant see what harm it would be, isnt that what adventuring in a high fantasy world is? Wars end, so what happens when it gets won? then what? Endless war and fighting? Wouldnt that just get repetitive and boring? 

How about raising a family? Lineage and children for future characters?

Comments

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242

I´d prefer Mark & team focusing their indie budget and manpower on polish and making good RvRvR experience at first. Once the game launches and money comes, PvE will probably be developed bit further.

Also, dragons and world bosses often "simply" drop epics in PvE.  Here, the way I understood Mark´s Reddit AMA, they might be both guarding treasure and valuable resources (and all of that happening in pvp area!) and giving us, I hope, expensive or rare materials such as scale, skin or bones from which crafters can try to craft powerful sword or stave. I prefer that to simply having my sword drop from boss which my guild, for example, can raid or farm as scheduled, that is anytime we want.

If I got it right, you should actually be able to spec or talent into crafter - that is you don´t have to fight at all in order to develop your character, along the lines of slogan from the very frontpage of CU official site: "A Tri-Realm MMORPG where you can become a legendary warrior, crafter or a leader of your Realm."  So crafters will actually be a powerfull class on its own, which mirrors real world in which not everyone has to be a warrior and gives more value to NPCs not dropping items directly.

Progression will be horizontal and slow - some skills/attributes will take more than a year of playing, also the war should be endless: RvRvR (instead of RvR), one faction exclusively per account and subs will keep realm pride strong and likely prevent majority of people from simply switching sides - common practice in other RvRvRs. Also, Camelot Unchained targeting it´s niche - that is, not trying to please everyone as some other titles did - should additionally help with stability.

Finally few words on war being  "repetitive and boring". Maybe you think of it in terms of, say, WoW battleground that tries to last endlessly - now that would indeed be repetitive and boring. Here we have completely different approach: first, much larger territory open for gathering & crafting, fighting for resources, building and defending these buildings in three realm warfare, strategy, politics and strong connections between people ( be it love or hatred image) that is - very rich social life. Something pretty much nonexistent in modern MMOs, especially in their PvP.

W...aaagh?
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Boring is when you have to solo questlines ad nauseum.  The dark age of camelot model that helped make it so fun, was that you grouped with folks, and tore packs of monsters apart.  Got loot, made friends, chit chatted, built your toons for level 50 and the defense of offense of the realm's relics and keeps.

My hope is CU will have the same - because as folks should get by now and probably don't (not their fault if they are spoon fed nonsense), is that grouping builds community.  Classes that are built to rely on one another (the trinity, for example), help build community.  Having to group to increase your heal over time, your endurance, your mana regen, instead of doing it all by yourself as these so called classless games offer, or WoW's every toon can do it all (even rogues can heal now)...is a way to build community.

CU will be a game I am hoping that will not include a pile of players stumbling over one another to kill x mobs...it will be a game where I log in and read, "low level group starting, looking for more...looking to fill group with any level to cap xp bonus" and so forth. 

I'm rambling - just never mind, lol.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Makes me think of L2 where PvE bosses were far more about PvP than PvE.  

Also lore can easily be just as deeper perhaps more so if you don't have to package it all into endless stale linear quests like WoW and it's descendants.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Comaf

Boring is when you have to solo questlines ad nauseum.  The dark age of camelot model that helped make it so fun, was that you grouped with folks, and tore packs of monsters apart.  Got loot, made friends, chit chatted, built your toons for level 50 and the defense of offense of the realm's relics and keeps.

My hope is CU will have the same - because as folks should get by now and probably don't (not their fault if they are spoon fed nonsense), is that grouping builds community.  Classes that are built to rely on one another (the trinity, for example), help build community.  Having to group to increase your heal over time, your endurance, your mana regen, instead of doing it all by yourself as these so called classless games offer, or WoW's every toon can do it all (even rogues can heal now)...is a way to build community.

CU will be a game I am hoping that will not include a pile of players stumbling over one another to kill x mobs...it will be a game where I log in and read, "low level group starting, looking for more...looking to fill group with any level to cap xp bonus" and so forth. 

I'm rambling - just never mind, lol.

Exactly.

Solo questing mmo's do not have communities. Most mmo's are single player games with a chat box.. with a group finder to desperately qualify it as an "mmo."

You didn't have to  group in DAOC to level. But it was much better if you did. Other classes gave noticeable buffs (not pointless clicky buffs) and endurance regains, speed buffs, and heals. You didn't regain instantly like in games today. Taking a lot of damage meant you couldn't fight for a while without help.

DPSers needed buffs and heals.  Healers needed people to DPS.. This "ill scratch your back if you scratch mine" creates community.

Devs trying to jump on the MMO train just don't get this. at all....

Solo questing and cut scenes don't make a good MMO...

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

daoc's battleground keep fights were some of the most fun I remember having in an mmo. I hope the same feeling is recaptured by CU

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Not much information on how pve will be integrated into the game. It exists everywhere but you can't simply pick up quests and gain xp through them or through killing npcs. Creatures though will be useful for crafting. Combat folks will be required to obtain rare crafting materials in areas of the world crafters dare not tread without heavy support (heavily contested lands, baddies in the depths, etc).

The main form of combat class content though will come from increasing your own realms influence in the world. This will not required 100% combat against the other realms though. Helping crafters and likely other methods will be introduced. I imagine those not wanting to raid deep into enemy lands can simply help defend closer to home or partake in the pve elements that assist your realm (helping your realm in ANY way is what progresses your character ... not combat itself).

There is a yet to be revealed system about dragons too. I can only imagine at this point that what Mark is shooting for is some extreme lore themed pve events that interrupt your normally scheduled RvR and provide a common target which realms strive to gain rare rewards for their realm. My best guess is near raid like encounters with realms competing against each other. Dragons are likely open land mechanics and of course you still have the Depths with it's heavy RvR/PvE mix.

I wouldn't put it past them to allow realms to gain control of such powerful PvE mechanics to assist their realm. The Depths is about this and certainly an open world system could also be added (perhaps Dragons).

You stay sassy!