Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A good link needed?

WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have heard in several videos players talking about caps and getting only diminished returns.So for example it might not be best to go all out massive Evasion which i am doing on my Bow player and perhaps instead hit the soft cap and add some Energy Shield or armor?

So is there a link players are using to check the soft caps of stats?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Comments

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Check the wiki for terms like evasion, armor, block.

The numbers you see near the evasion and armor etc are a rough estimate. If a mob has more accuracy, it will hit you more often. The formula for evasion, if i remember correctly, is directly linked to a mob's accuracy. The formula for armor is something like mitigation=armor/(armor + damage*12), if i remember correctly. For what i know, it's not a curve. The cap (hard) for armor is 90% i believe, and for Evasion 95% - very likely you're not gonna get there at high level

The important fact is to have maximum resistances (75% or more) on merciless.

Personally, I am not too excited about pure evasion builds - they can be great in late game with the right gear but when you take a hit, you take a BIG hit. So you also need a big pool of life. When you die, after level 80, it will take you a bit to recover the lost XP,

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    poe wiki and ask on the official forums for your hard numbers. for a pure evasion  bow character pick up the acrobatics nodes(dodge and evasion are not the same thing), have a big life pool, and  consider grabing a lightning coil chest(you should already have max LR in merc) to add further damage reduction. also get a enough str for a lvl1-3 cwdt gem + enduring cry gem + immortal call gem combo. you can use curses defensively.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have not seen an Enduring cry gem and i don't know what a cwdt gem is either.I am a new player i don't have the resourcess to try a merciless server,i can tell just now that my player is near it's peak as i have to move quite often.

I find my bow player lacks the AOE,my other players i am using fire aoe which tends to work well but my Marauder uses Sweep which is also working well.I already specced for Cold damage so i can't go back and try to aim for Fire aoe so i am stuck with powerful cold shots and barrage but Barrage i am sort of leaning away because it doesn't aim too well.I hoped on Barraged plus life tap being that so many fast hits would heal me to keep up with any damage,but misses a lot and when already in firing mode takes a long time to switch targets.

No biggie i am a new player and learning what works and doesn't ,i just   would like to know the hard numbers so i am not wasting my time on allotted points  if getting diminished returns.I think my Bow is 68% resist but imo not a big deal since i can't stay in the pocket and trade anyhow,at least in the 30's it does not seem to be a factor for a bow player.

The only i really feel a need to worry stats is on bosses but then i just grab the amulet/ring/ring resists and all is good.SO i don't really think a build towards resists is needed,i believe it was like 28-30% all three items for resists.The numbers however are always a bit misleading like in every game,you see those big numbers and think i should be invincible but in reality the numbers are VERY small.I see 28+28+30% plus sometimes another 6 or 7% from gear or belts and i think can't touch this ,not the case.

Also are VAAL gems actually useful?I almost NEVER pay attention to when they are actually buffed and usable and only being a one time use then having to wait to load it again seems a waste.I can take their counterparts that are a slight bit weaker but know they are always ready to use and i can use it over and over right  away.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry,

As I've said, there are no real hard / soft numbers. For example, for armor, the formula is mitigation=x/(x+12*y), where x is your armor and y the hit you take. So, to mitigate 50 damage from an 100 damage hit, you need to solve x/(x+1200)=1/2, so x=1200 - you need 1200 armor to mitigate 50 damage from an 100 hit through armor. The formula for evasion is somehow similar. For some fixed numbers, you'd need to know for how much mobs hit, and that's something only GGG can answer. Mobs are created with a few fixed stats and  the other stats being somehow randomized, so you'll never now for how much exactly a mob will/can hit.

There might be a discussion about if it's worth having armor over X for the content you're doing. Many experienced players in PoE have dedicated builds for different tasks. My magic finder, for example, uses a lot of MF gear, has a flame totem build and does not do content over lvl 70 maps. I have limited defenses, as I do not mind if I die and lose XP on this one, so I can have a more squishy approach. For farming Atziri fragments and farming some kinds of maps, I have a fast-moving arc Witch etc. You'll get these with experience.

You will not ever be in the spot where you have too much defense. In fact, the problems in the endgame are defense-related, not damage. You'll probably mess up your first 60 character, maybe you'll mess up more than 1, if you don't follow guides blindly. It's part of the fun, and you'll learn this way.

Merciless is not hardcore. Merciless is the 3rd difficulty. You'll get there by just playing, and max resistances are highly recommended, or white mobs will be problematic (well, you can manage without but it will be very hard).

CWDT = cast when damage taken. Quest reward option from merciless library I believe. Sells on league for 1-2 chaos - ask on trade if you really want one, but decide first if you do

Enduring Cry - go to the wiki, see when and for what class is this gem given as a quest reward. Very common drop and reward, offering to buy for 1 fuse/alchemy orb on trade will get you one instantly

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Hmm i seem to be lost again lmao.

Thanks for the answers btw.

I finished what seems like the last fight,the credits came up and seemed to convey end of game lol.What happens now?

I really have no idea how the other difficulties work,i can;t imagine if they are tougher how we would handle them with the same items  ,i guess we get better gear in other leagues?I will just make another player and try it out.

On the resistances part,i did not see a lot of areas to buff that  up however i had quite a bit just from gear.I had resistances for each elements only Chaos being the tough one,but i have flasks that added 35% they seemed to at least work on the final boss.

All my gear+items i think was adding quite a lot % had to be around 100% 58% or so on rings,another 20+ on amulet ,couple items of gear had another 10+ %  or so then the flasks were again quite high around 35%,so actually i think more than 100%.

I found all the bosses rather easy i could almost just stand still in front of them with all my resist items on but the final guy was tough because i only had that 35% chaos flask.I do however believe you when saying it gets a lot harder in other leagues.

Am i to understand that if you die even once in other leagues you get dropped down?

Originally posted by Wizardry

I finished what seems like the last fight,the credits came up and seemed to convey end of game lol.What happens now?

The last fight is Dominus. After you kill Dominus, a quest giver appears, along with a portal. If you talk to that quest giver, then you can enter the portal and you get teleported to the same beach where you started. Welcome to Cruel difficulty (you start at -20 all resists). Run through the game again, you'll get to Merciless the same way (you start with -60 to resists). After you finish merciless (62 was my lowest character to finish merciless with) you can start mapping. But more on that when you get there.

Don't worry much about chaos resist. Usually people just avoid chaos damage. There are specific ways to deal with chaos damage, but you'll get to run characters like that when you'll gain experience / currency.

The leagues seems to be a bit confusing for you. There are only 4 leagues.

- There is one standard softcore league and 1 standard hardcore league (i am not 100% sure about the hardcore one, i don't play on standard).

- There is one softcore temporary league and 1 hardcore temporary league. They last for 3 months, usually. This is where you start, by default. When these leagues end, all your characters and gear transfer to standard.

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I really have no idea how the other difficulties work,i can;t imagine if they are tougher how we would handle them with the same items  ,i guess we get better gear in other leagues?I will just make another player and try it out.

On the resistances part,i did not see a lot of areas to buff that  up however i had quite a bit just from gear.I had resistances for each elements only Chaos being the tough one,but i have flasks that added 35% they seemed to at least work on the final boss.

All my gear+items i think was adding quite a lot % had to be around 100% 58% or so on rings,another 20+ on amulet ,couple items of gear had another 10+ %  or so then the flasks were again quite high around 35%,so actually i think more than 100%.

I found all the bosses rather easy i could almost just stand still in front of them with all my resist items on but the final guy was tough because i only had that 35% chaos flask.I do however believe you when saying it gets a lot harder in other leagues.

Am i to understand that if you die even once in other leagues you get dropped down?

beat dominus welcome to cruel, where mobs hit harder, new mob modifers appear, and you get negative resists. 

normal is just there to essentially help new players get there feet wet, then cruel ups the difficulty a little bit(its stilly fairly easy), then there is a significant difficulty jumps in merc. to give you prospective i can honey badger through normal in about 2.5 hrs, but still get killed in merc to some mechanics(charge mechanics, double reflect mob packs, map bosses etc) even while geared and knowing what im doing.

league =! difficulty all leagues have 3 difficulties normal>cruel>merc

there are 4 leagues standard, hardcore, torment, and bloodlines. torment and bloodlines are temporary with special global modifers and will be replaced in a couple months. Characters on these leagues will go to the permanent standard and hardcore leagues. Hardcore and bloodlines leagues you only get 1 life...and if you are killed your character is sent to standard.

there are also race event that last between 30 mins to 1 month which you compete with other players for cool swag(cash shop items and physical items like razor mouses and keyboards).