Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POE +GGG worth mentioning.

WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I only stumbled onto the game Path of Exile and it's developer Grinding Gear Games but i think i have found a pretty decent game and developer worth mentioning.

The game is basically a Diablo type clone and does a really good job at it.I know a lot of people were arguing which game is better,likely good arguments both ways,however they fail to realize that POE is 100% FREE and imo the best totally free game i have played to date.I am not talking a paid sub game gone over to free nor a heavy cash shop game,this game has nothing to buy in cash shop as least imo anyhow.

Reading a bit on the developer i was extremely shocked,not on the crowd funding but that they were able to raise 245k in a mere 6 days of Beta cash shop to allow this developer to fulfill it's dream.

Now we almost never hear numbers tossed around from cash shops so this really struck some thoughts into my head.If they can make 245k in 6 days selling complete fluff just imagine how much SOE made off of those air drops or other games with more desirable cash shop items.

IMO if you can make a decent living selling fluff in a cash shop,then these guys are doing it right,no greed a decent game all is good for both sides.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Same old story - Only acceptable cash shop is the one that does not contain anything I am interested in.

If cash content does not comply, it is being called a cash-grab, P2W, greed, w/e....

POE cash shop is far from fluff only, you just didn't get there yet.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    It's good you came upon Path of Exile. People have been lauding it for some time, particularly the skill web. It has a pretty supportive fanbase and has come a long way since beta. Impressive game for being free, I agree.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Same old story - Only acceptable cash shop is the one that does not contain anything I am interested in.

If cash content does not comply, it is being called a cash-grab, P2W, greed, w/e....

Besides fluff and bag space, what else is there?

• Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271

PoE is a good game, only drawback so far is that my Witch is too OP for early game, level 7-12 which is nothing. My first toon died.

The devs are in Melbourne Australia, not in Cali or some other place with an insane cost of living, which may explain why they can get by on only selling fluff, I would have to check up on housing costs to know for sure. Not going to bother, not worth knowing.

I need to try hardcore mode, and maybe play a melee class, it may be harder that way. Diablo was always easiest with a Sorcy, I have a feeling that PoE is easiest with a Witch. The Witch is half Sorcy, half Necro, and totaly OP so far. Kinda wish I went hardcore mode, may have to reroll.

It's a good game, I will buy some fluff, when I have more money. Just blew it all on a new comp, can't afford to by games untill next month.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by TheHavok

It has been a while since I played but I thought that besides bags there were also maps and some crafting mats in the cash shop.

After checking the cash shop now, I stand corrected.

• BeowulfsamBeowulfsam Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Originally posted by Ket_Viliano

PoE is a good game, only drawback so far is that my Witch is too OP for early game, level 7-12 which is nothing. My first toon died.

The devs are in Melbourne Australia, not in Cali or some other place with an insane cost of living, which may explain why they can get by on only selling fluff, I would have to check up on housing costs to know for sure. Not going to bother, not worth knowing.

I need to try hardcore mode, and maybe play a melee class, it may be harder that way. Diablo was always easiest with a Sorcy, I have a feeling that PoE is easiest with a Witch. The Witch is half Sorcy, half Necro, and totaly OP so far. Kinda wish I went hardcore mode, may have to reroll.

It's a good game, I will buy some fluff, when I have more money. Just blew it all on a new comp, can't afford to by games untill next month.

Eh, normal is easy as cake...make it to merciless before you start judging difficulty. Don't copy OP builds or trade for added difficulty. And then let us know :D

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,202
    It's an OK game, but I don't play it often because it really just amounts to a "whack-a-mole" kind of gameplay.  Worth a try, certainly, but it's not a game I could play all the time.
  • Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Beowulfsam

Eh, normal is easy as cake...make it to merciless before you start judging difficulty. Don't copy OP builds or trade for added difficulty. And then let us know :D

Ok, will do. Normal mode has me bored to tears, and the game could be so much better. Although, as a merciless min-maxer, I may well derive an OP build on my own. A Witch with zombies and the fire rain spell is totally OP at low lev, not really worth doing any more with that toon.

Peace

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have only played 3 days i think now have 3x level 30 characters a Witch/Marauder and Ranger.

I put more effort into my Ranger but i feel the melee is easiest and by quite a bit.

Ranger is imo the toughest because it's aoe is not as good imo as the Nuking of the lightning Witch.

I often go afk to grab a snack lol,i come back my Ranger is easily long dead,Witch same thing but my Marauder is a beast and all i did was work on his weapon.I went all in for HP and armor so far for 30 levels with only a few points into offense.I can go afk come back and some mob is whacking on him and barely makes a dent lol.

Imo the best build to start and  feel comfortable and strong is Marauder but to each their own.I watched a streamer who seemed his best fun was just utilizing that leaping smash ability haha looks fun as he was leaping across one platform to another or stairs and landed an attack.

IMO the 3 different leagues seem quite obvious.After you have played for some time you will have gear that makes it  just too easy for Standard noobie division.However i am quite happy just hanging out in the noobie league because i am not into min maxxing THAT much,i prefer to have fun just trying different builds and playing different classes.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    POE is absolutely the right way to do F2P. Granted, its not as ambitious as a "proper" MMO, so the money they make may not be enough to sustain a proper MMO (thus why most MMO's have P2W stuff).  Still.  This is the way it should be done.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

Great in concept but poor in execution in terms of graphics, art, combat and yes desync.  Really just a B-title because of it's clunkiness and poor art design.

But yes I have no complaints about their cash shop.  Just wished they offered more so that I'd actually be tempted to spend money and time on it.

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I have only played 3 days i think now have 3x level 30 characters a Witch/Marauder and Ranger.

I put more effort into my Ranger but i feel the melee is easiest and by quite a bit.

Ranger is imo the toughest because it's aoe is not as good imo as the Nuking of the lightning Witch.

I often go afk to grab a snack lol,i come back my Ranger is easily long dead,Witch same thing but my Marauder is a beast and all i did was work on his weapon.I went all in for HP and armor so far for 30 levels with only a few points into offense.I can go afk come back and some mob is whacking on him and barely makes a dent lol.

Imo the best build to start and  feel comfortable and strong is Marauder but to each their own.I watched a streamer who seemed his best fun was just utilizing that leaping smash ability haha looks fun as he was leaping across one platform to another or stairs and landed an attack.

IMO the 3 different leagues seem quite obvious.After you have played for some time you will have gear that makes it  just too easy for Standard noobie division.However i am quite happy just hanging out in the noobie league because i am not into min maxxing THAT much,i prefer to have fun just trying different builds and playing different classes.

you both dont have much experience  with the game. theres a huge difficulty leap in Act3 merc mode and then again at the lvl70+ random maps. i guarantee both of you will have to bucket your first lvl60+ char and start over due to inexperience with the game mechanics

then you factor in the race contests with difficult mods and competing(and even pvping against others in the case of cutthroat) for unique items,cash shop items, and real life items(mostly razor mice, and keyboards) to add even more challenge.

also starting character choice is fairly irrelevant. Rangers can have good aoe(shotgun freezing arrow, explosive arrow w/ high atk speed, melee reave builds, cast on crit bow and daggers builds etc) witches can also have shitting aoe and great single target...all depends on how you build....which is probably the most fun aspect of the game. 

also do torment league as a newbie. higher loot drops due to the ghosts and the economy isn't as inflated as standard.

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 670

It has been a while since I played but I thought that besides bags there were also maps and some crafting mats in the cash shop.

After checking the cash shop now, I stand corrected.

https://www.pathofexile.com/shop

This is what they offer. Fluff and storage only :)

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517

I have 1000 hours on Steam and have had my account since 2011 and I'd recommend this game to most people, but it has it's issues too.

Reskinned content/updates. Not much real gameplay content has been added since CBT, a large chunk of the "new" skills they add already exist in a very similar way as other skills, they function and look the exact same way, but one may benefit from Lightning damage instead of fire.

You are basically forced to buy stash tabs, sorry, nobody can honestly say 4 is enough, once you get to the end game you'll see what I mean.

The cash shop prices are insanely high, of course people make the argument that it's F2P, sure. But to give some examples. $35 roughly will get you 1 armor set, helmet, chest, gloves, boots. These are skins you can place over your real armor, they don't give stats. Wings are $30-35. Want a new skill effect? $10 each. Footprints? $10-20. A weapon effect? $20-30.

The game for me isn't worth putting money into, because you can end up spending over $100 on 1 character. To me, being able to customize the way your character looks is more than half of the game. On WoW, if I make a really cool transmog set on a class that can make it work, I will end up playing that class, even if I don't particularly care for it otherwise.

So yeah, an extremely small amount of real gameplay added in 4 years, really expensive cash shop prices, you will have to eventually spend $10+ on stash tabs, I think 4 tabs = $10 or so.

And then there's the biggest problem, RMT (real money trading). Sure, GGG itself doesn't support P2W features, but the ENTIRE games community breaks the rules. My friends publicly chat about RMTing because GGG picks and chooses who they ban and who they don't, if they actually had to follow their own rules, the games population would drop probably 95%.

There are extremely easy ways to catch RMTers, but they don't care. It's easy to trace an account who gives insane amounts of currency away to people for free, if you really wanted to catch and ban RMT accounts you could buy a item for pennies, once you get their account name/character name, close that account and/or the one who traded the currency to that account, it's not hard. But GGG doesn't really care.

Every couple of months you will get a big patch release, that resets skill trees, buffs and nerfs some items and gems, and basically remakes the end game, daily players of the game are used to this, but some people don't like restarting over, you may of played 500 hours to buy that last item you needed for your build, and then next week the build is nerfed, possibly completely ruined, and you may have ended up losing 90% of what you bought that item for, that's another common occurrence.

Oh, and I didn't even mention desync, yeah, there's that. You will end up dying a lot to "lag" that warps your character and monsters around the map because of bad coding. And you may find a fun build become 100% unplayable just because that certain skill/attack desyncs more often than others.

That's all I have to say about the game really. It's good, try it out. But once you play long enough you will notice a lot of the bad things too, that almost make the non-P2W F2P aspect of the game completely irrelevant.

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by OhhPaigey

The game for me isn't worth putting money into, because you can end up spending over $100 on 1 character. To me, being able to customize the way your character looks is more than half of the game. On WoW, if I make a really cool transmog set on a class that can make it work, I will end up playing that class, even if I don't particularly care for it otherwise.

So yeah, an extremely small amount of real gameplay added in 4 years, really expensive cash shop prices, you will have to eventually spend $10+ on stash tabs, I think 4 tabs = $10 or so.

And then there's the biggest problem, RMT (real money trading). Sure, GGG itself doesn't support P2W features, but the ENTIRE games community breaks the rules. My friends publicly chat about RMTing because GGG picks and chooses who they ban and who they don't, if they actually had to follow their own rules, the games population would drop probably 95%.

There are extremely easy ways to catch RMTers, but they don't care. It's easy to trace an account who gives insane amounts of currency away to people for free, if you really wanted to catch and ban RMT accounts you could buy a item for pennies, once you get their account name/character name, close that account and/or the one who traded the currency to that account, it's not hard. But GGG doesn't really care.

Every couple of months you will get a big patch release, that resets skill trees, buffs and nerfs some items and gems, and basically remakes the end game, daily players of the game are used to this, but some people don't like restarting over, you may of played 500 hours to buy that last item you needed for your build, and then next week the build is nerfed, possibly completely ruined, and you may have ended up losing 90% of what you bought that item for, that's another common occurrence.

Oh, and I didn't even mention desync, yeah, there's that. You will end up dying a lot to "lag" that warps your character and monsters around the map because of bad coding. And you may find a fun build become 100% unplayable just because that certain skill/attack desyncs more often than others.

That's all I have to say about the game really. It's good, try it out. But once you play long enough you will notice a lot of the bad things too, that almost make the non-P2W F2P aspect of the game completely irrelevant.

I don't mind the stashes all that much, since it's a small investment, but I agree that the cosmetic gear thing's very annoying. Whenever I play an MMO customizing my character's look is something very important for me. (And one of the things I'm loving on SWTOR where the majority of my characters have their own distinct look)

I can't speak for the RMT, as I've barely done any trading, but it sounds a lot like D2's old community (which in turn inspired Blizzard to come up with D3's RMAH thing). =/

The desync is very evil indeed. Mostly try to avoid teleportation builds, as I believe those are most vulnerable to it.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by OhhPaigey

I don't mind the stashes all that much, since it's a small investment, but I agree that the cosmetic gear thing's very annoying. Whenever I play an MMO customizing my character's look is something very important for me. (And one of the things I'm loving on SWTOR where the majority of my characters have their own distinct look)

I can't speak for the RMT, as I've barely done any trading, but it sounds a lot like D2's old community (which in turn inspired Blizzard to come up with D3's RMAH thing). =/

The desync is very evil indeed. Mostly try to avoid teleportation builds, as I believe those are most vulnerable to it.

Translation:

I'm a cheapass and want to play the game for free and have my cake and eat it too...

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

Yeah, it's a great game that is definitely worth a play through. I found the atmosphere a lot creepier than Diablo, especially the ending. That was nice for a change.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Pretty much the only old school online game out there. Everything else seems to have been WoWified/casualized into the ground.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

Umm you get 10 tabs not 4 and it is enough,i am using 3 players on those tabs and i am doing fine,you just can't be a pack rat and keep everything as most items are not worth keeping anyhow.

As to high cost of fluff,i guess for the spenders,if they feel they have a character they like and have played for a year or longer 100 bucks on the flashy skins is not over paying as EVERY single game going right now can cost you more than that.

The point however is that nothing is needed,i would suggest rather than load a ton of players  ,just make 2 accounts and only keep 2 players on each account,you'll have plenty of room for stash on 10 tabs .

As to market and racing ,i don't bother with either,i really wish there was an auction house,it is needed,i am not going to hang out in a chat window looking for hours to see if something  i want.I also do not like the idea of  countless players spamming in a chat window WTS WTB,i despised that back in my EQ and Vg days.

on a Side note, i just tried a Diablo game for the first time it was D3 and imo POE beats it hands down in every aspect of game design.I hope that does not rustle and Diablo fans but it is what it is.I was not surprised at the lower end graphics and less detail and poor lighting and in many cases much smaller linear maps but i am surprised Blizzard made so much money selling that game when this game is free and a better version of.

The only negative of POE is that they did copy Diablo ,i never knew how much until i just tried it,it is like a 90% copy just a better version of the same thing and for free.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

I spent 3 hours playing the game and about 2 hours of it i heard "inventory is full" in a regular basis. So you tell me : what  else do we actually need in a game where core gameplay is hunting monsters and finding loot? Well of course you will have some great answer to that but i was trying to play a game not "bag space micro management".

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517

Umm you get 10 tabs not 4 and it is enough,i am using 3 players on those tabs and i am doing fine,you just can't be a pack rat and keep everything as most items are not worth keeping anyhow.

As to high cost of fluff,i guess for the spenders,if they feel they have a character they like and have played for a year or longer 100 bucks on the flashy skins is not over paying as EVERY single game going right now can cost you more than that.

The point however is that nothing is needed,i would suggest rather than load a ton of players  ,just make 2 accounts and only keep 2 players on each account,you'll have plenty of room for stash on 10 tabs .

As to market and racing ,i don't bother with either,i really wish there was an auction house,it is needed,i am not going to hang out in a chat window looking for hours to see if something  i want.I also do not like the idea of  countless players spamming in a chat window WTS WTB,i despised that back in my EQ and Vg days.

on a Side note, i just tried a Diablo game for the first time it was D3 and imo POE beats it hands down in every aspect of game design.I hope that does not rustle and Diablo fans but it is what it is.I was not surprised at the lower end graphics and less detail and poor lighting and in many cases much smaller linear maps but i am surprised Blizzard made so much money selling that game when this game is free and a better version of.

The only negative of POE is that they did copy Diablo ,i never knew how much until i just tried it,it is like a 90% copy just a better version of the same thing and for free.

The problem is this entire post is screaming inaccuracy and/or misinformation. Let's see.. first off, no, you don't start with 10 stash tabs, you start with 4: http://i.imgur.com/pR0EGQO.png - As you see, the 4 you get by default can't be changed, and my 5th tab can, because I bought it through the cash shop.

Secondly, it is 100% impossible to play PoE with 4 bank tabs, I'll show you what 4 bank tabs look like when you aren't level 5. http://imgur.com/Ifb9Ztb,H2R4sXM,LHGPuZu,q1qkTcF - Could you completely clear a tab if you really needed to? Sure, but you would've thrown away a bunch of currency for no reason. And, during the start of new leagues, literally every single unique and most rare items you get to drop are ALL important to keep & trade for. You need a lot more than 4. I find myself out of stash room with 13 tabs, some people have 100s, literally, 100s.

Also, no, every single game isn't going to cost you, let's say, $120 to customize a character, and if you're a LL build with like 8 auras, closer to $200, that's insane. I can play WoW for $15 a month and have access to customizing anything I want for basically free. Even Maplestory, which is the biggest P2W scam game you can play, isn't going to cost even near $100 to customize your character, more like $50 at the absolute max.

There's a problem with having 2 accounts, for one, figuring out how to trade items over to one or the other. Another reason would be any supporter pack you buy, or cash shop item, you'd have to buy once per account, any achievements you get from temp leagues, or challenges from month leagues, would all be separate, I would not tell anybody to do that tbh, also when you're buying and selling you'd have to have both accounts logged in all of the time so you don't miss an add or a whisper.

Buying & selling is the only way you'll make currency in this game, it's the only real way you'll get ahead, and it's the only possible way you'll be able to afford a half decent build, or to even switch builds later on if needed. Racing isn't as important, but if you want to be one of the richest in temp leagues, you better know how to level effectively, the first few people who are doing uber Atziri in new leagues make tons of currency, and without a doubt, thousands of $ from RMT as well.

Btw, you can sell items when you're offline using http://poe.trade/ & the PoE forums, that's how all good players sell, and find items to buy.

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.

Hmm i think you are correct ,,i actually forgot i bought the 6 pack,so you are correct it is only 4.Oh well i dont think cost me much,if i like the game i look at as a 1 month sub fee.

As to the bag space,you cannot buy more there is no such item for sale in CS.I am actually not sure why they limit  the bag space so much because there is nothing in CS to support the WHY.Well i do have one theory,they wanted to make it harder to trade stuff to another account,which makes sense because you would be exploiting the whole system.

AS to customizing a player and cost you are being misleading because as i mentioned that would be if you played a long time and  felt it was worth it.

You cannot  customize to your hearts content in Wow unless you CONTINUE to pay 15 bucks EVERY month and forever otherwise you won't even have access to your player at all.In POE you can still play forever after that  purchase to add fluff to your player but it most certainly is not needed.

Also that type of fluff adding effects is not in any other game,so it is an added fluff above what other games are doing.

Bottom line is you really do not need to buy anything at all.I did not even need the added 6 slots,as i said you can just trade to anther  account it is merely for convenience.

I am not going to pretend this game is the TRIPLE A  game of all time because it is not ,it has several flaws,but i feel the CS system is the best i have seen and VERY fair.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Diablo 3 has lower end graphics compared to Poe? Because when I played the two game, this was certainly not the case. POE is a very ugly game which uses low contrast and darker colours to hide the low res textures. Diablo3 looks like next gen in comparison. 

I found POE mindnumbing. The combat was clunky and that desync killed it for me. There was 0 visual customisation, and the crafting system was too much of a hassle. There were tons of server disconnects and loss of game of progress when I played and I gave up. This was not due to my internet connection as a lot of people were experiencing these issues.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.