Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online MMORPG

2»

Comments

• SilvergraySilvergray Member Posts: 20

The only problem with such a game is the fact that a lot of people hate the idea of Star Trek. Personally I love the whole thing but the fact that it has a lot of history attatched to it is a bit too much for a lot of people.

Where I live people tend to associate the word trekie with geek. (being a geek I take no offence in thisimage)

Still, to attract the mmorpg crowd a game has to appeal to the masses. The reason star wars works is because it does just that. Even though hardcore gamers (geeks with money to burn) are the people that pay the fees, the occasional hey-let-me-try-it-cause-it-might-be-fun-type keep it fresh and provide great moving targets.image

Suggestion: I think the ships captain shouldnt be available to players. Rather, it would be better if it were given to the administrators or npcs. Players would be engineers, doctors, etc. This way players can choose what ship (missions/event) to sign up for.

***It was decided early on that Matrix Online would not contain any soup due to lack of spoons.***

• eaglerangereagleranger Member Posts: 66
    i am all for it combineing sfc1 or 2 with new worlds with elite force  BRING IT ON BABY IM READY TO SHOW CAPTAIN KIRK HOW IT IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!image

i fight the battles other fear

EagleRanger

i fight the battles other fear

EagleRanger

• RegusRegus Member Posts: 489

I liek the ideas very much that are being stated here. The Star Trek universe i rich enough to get a MMORPG especially if the let in the most important races, and of course one enemy that ervyone fights (the borg image) that would be nice if they do some surprise attacks now and then. I think they can get it working but it takes a lot of effort and time because it is so large.

But at the moment I am waiting to see what Face of Manking will look like, it also has a lot of factions that fight or support each other so that could be very nice when you have a large playerbase. First see what it looks like before thinking about a Star Trek MMORPG. 

One day all will die, surely you but never I.

"One day all will die, surely you but never I." Wheel of Time

• HypeHype Member CommonPosts: 270

Originally posted by Silvergray

The only problem with such a game is the fact that a lot of people hate the idea of Star Trek. Personally I love the whole thing but the fact that it has a lot of history attatched to it is a bit too much for a lot of people.
    Where I live people tend to associate the word trekie with geek. (being a geek I take no offence in thisimage)
    Still, to attract the mmorpg crowd a game has to appeal to the masses. The reason star wars works is because it does just that. Even though hardcore gamers (geeks with money to burn) are the people that pay the fees, the occasional hey-let-me-try-it-cause-it-might-be-fun-type keep it fresh and provide great moving targets.image
    Suggestion: I think the ships captain shouldnt be available to players. Rather, it would be better if it were given to the administrators or npcs. Players would be engineers, doctors, etc. This way players can choose what ship (missions/event) to sign up for.

Good point... I almost didn't know that... most kids aren't into Star Trek, I admit... so...

"MAKE it cool, number one..." If you load up action (or have more action oriented factions like, say... the Klingons) you can showcase some hot moves and some cool lines and boom... instant coolness... not too hard... you said it yourself: give it mass appeal and the redshirts will come... :)

I suggest that they DO make captains the end-game... that admirals (who can fire the captains if they don't follow orders) be the actual GMs while each ship be equipped with an NPC lt. Cmnder to take charge when the captain is offline)... I think it could work, but

The HARDEST part of this game, to me, would be capturing the spirit of Star Trek... the dialogue and stuff would have to have to capture you like it does in Star Wars: KoToR... you should care about each planet your visit in someway... NPCs should be important to you and the values of your faction should make sense and be something you really get behind... if they can do that, they can make Star Trek work... otherwise, they'll just have EQ in Federation Uniforms...

Service Guarantees Citizenship!

The Illusion of Choice

• go4brokego4broke Member Posts: 180

If SOE is behind it, I won't buy it. The customer service of SOE is pitiful and I'll probably never be a customer of theirs again.

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526
    /agree, I've had nothing bu terrible experiences with SOE. SWG was awful, especially if you had an issue.

• rndygilesrndygiles Member Posts: 19

I would see two problems with this game.

1.  SOE is supposedly behind this.  Imagine SWG set in a Star trek Universe.  Ughh.

2.  With the exception of Elite Force 1 & 2, 99% of all the games that have the name Star Trek in the title have sucked horribly.

My two cents.

• HypeHype Member CommonPosts: 270

1) Agreed, no SoE for STO

2) I played a genesis game I liked that was a Star Trek game...

Service Guarantees Citizenship!

The Illusion of Choice

• JohnarkJohnark Member Posts: 901

It's definatly fake, and right now I'm a huge Star Wars Galaxies gamer, and personally, I think a Star Trek MMORPG could outsell Star Wars Galaxies any day!!!

Why?  Because there's so much more to do in Star Trek than in Star Wars.

For starters, you could travel anywhere in the galaxy with a starship or just a plain shuttle.  You could chose from dozens of different races!  Become the Captain of your own ship or help your friend Captain as the ship's engineer.

The possibilities are limitless since you have the entire universe and not just a galaxy to explore.

If you don't want to be a "trekkie" you could just live on a planet selling Phasers or become a tailor or chef.  Or become the ship's cook.

___________ ___ __ _ _ _
    Stealth - Ambush - Hemorrhage - Sinister Strike x2 - Cold Blood - Eviscerate - Vanish - Preparation - Cold Blood - Ambush - ... you're dead! :P

• SavageSageSavageSage Member UncommonPosts: 66

Here is a link to the "Official website" and the article I got it off of on Scifi.com:

Star Trek Online Coming

Perpetual Entertainment announced that it has acquired the rights to a massively multiplayer online game based on the Star Trek universe, the GameSpot Web site reported. Under the agreement, the two-year-old, San Francisco-based company will develop and publish the online game for release in 2007, with public beta testing to begin in 2006, the site reported.

The game will be set during the 24th-century timeline of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager, though other timelines could be added later through expansion packs. Players will be able to create characters of familiar races and go on solo and multiplayer missions involving characters, locales and situations from the Star Trek movies and television series, the company said.

Though Perpetual has released few specific details about the game, the company has posted a list of frequently asked questions and answers on the official Star Trek Web site."

• AeporueAeporue Member Posts: 10
    They gonna ruin this fantastic TV serie... like they did with Star Wars

• blackarkblackark Member Posts: 7
    The TV series hasn't been good since TNG. I think they will do an adequate job on this MMO but by the time it's released EQ2, WoW, MxO, JtLS, and the new expansions for FFXI and CoH as well as OOW will all be released and in full swing, thats alot to compete with.

• sybarissybaris Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by El33tWalrus
    Well if there is one I bet the only people to play would be the 40 year old earthlings who were here when the original came out......that and scary people who talk to themselves....trust me i know the type....

That'l be me then, i will deffo play this it sounds great, can't beat a bit of James T kirk boldly going and all that.

Yea i wanna play this now.........

• gammamechgammamech Member Posts: 5
    This is definitely going to be exciting.  But they have to do it right. 

• LazypeteLazypete Member Posts: 6

Well I think it will.
    Depending on how the game is designed that is!

• PetrocelliPetrocelli Member Posts: 1
    Looking forward to STO, it's a bit of a downer that the two games i'm looking forward to are probably a couple of years away still image, STO and UA!! please be quick!!!
  • tigertunestigertunes Member Posts: 39
    Wow that looks great  m..thanx for the info thats one to look forward too
  • LOTRFreakLOTRFreak Member Posts: 5
    I wouldn't mind playing it either, though it all depends if I have the free time, a GOOD FUTURE MMORPG aren't in very good supply.
  • evil_oatmealevil_oatmeal Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Petrocelli
    Looking forward to STO, it's a bit of a downer that the two games i'm looking forward to are probably a couple of years away still image, STO and UA!! please be quick!!!

Please don't be quick, that'll ruin it allimage

Solar systems = Servers and you could warp-travel between servers.

There are quite a few good Star Trek games out there already, the one that has a game engine like Homeworld, i can't remember the name, i guess it's starfleet commander. And the one where you are captain of a starship and you can select the different officers and give them orders. and ofcourse the fps one (elite force?) is awesome.

Oh and if you can't find a player-based crew for your starship there would of course be npc's (the medical officer would be a cynical hologram like the one in voyager^^ Can't forget the episode where he commands the stolen war-ship prototypeimage). And i'd suggest Borg as a playable race but the gaming would get kinda boring :P image. Logging out would be going on shore-leave, so as if your ship is destroyed while offline you'd start off on a planet instead of being dead. But if you were online when it got destroyed you would of course loose all the things that you had taken with you on the ship, credits that are stored in banks can be accesed anywhere and wouldn't be "on" the ship, so you could always buy a new smaller ship (or even as big as the old one if you had enough money) and travel back to the debris of the destroyed one and take it to a shipyard for a repair.

Alrighty then.... rantrantrant rant... weeeell, see ya all in a few years when the game comes out, and best of luck to the guys that are making it :)image