Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would a Prequel MMO be interesting to anybody?

botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

What I am talking about, and I will use A.Net's Guild Wars and GW2 as an example, Is a game about the Universe before the original game. So with the Guild Wars Universe, a game where the Guild Wars really did start and what they were all about. It is an interesting idea and one I would like to discuss the merits of here

What do you think of this idea?

If you like it, what game would you see this happening to?

If you don't like it why? Please just don't say ( hate it) - give some discussion.

Comments

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by botrytis

What I am talking about, and I will use A.Net's Guild Wars and GW2 as an example, Is a game about the Universe before the original game. So with the Guild Wars Universe, a game where the Guild Wars really did start and what they were all about. It is an interesting idea and one I would like to discuss the merits of here

If you don't like it why? Please just don't say ( hate it) - give some discussion.

Question is, would the MMO be more advanced than the current versions?  Seems to me, every prequel movie ever done comes off far more advanced than the timeline that follows it.  It's like going back to cave man days to find that they had trebuchets when clearly said technology didn't exist back then.  Same applies for other elements as well.

• IggiePuffIggiePuff Member UncommonPosts: 146
    There already was an MMORPG that had a prequel. EverQuest Online Adventures was set hundreds of years before EQ and was released on the PlayStation 2.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100

SWtoR and ESO did pretty well with it.

Sure, if the IP is popular enough it can add alot to the draw.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by botrytis

I do not think it matters much, as long as the story is well written.

Whether it is a prequel, a sequel, or a new IP ... does not really matter to me. This is no different than prequel movies ... it can be great, it can be shitty .. it depends on the details.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    While ESO is not a "direct prequel to Arena" for example it is certainly interesting to be living in the "past" of a world and makes me feel like I'm playing through some other world's history. Similar kinda feeling I get playing Assassin's Creed, shaping history.
  • Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Warcraft... that is what blizzard did. Single player, or 5-30 mulitplayer can be easier to implement, and helps to introduce the game world. Also, take a look at how Games Workshop built the Warhammer franchise, they had short stories and novels to help promote the game world.