Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why no Weapon profiled/styled combat?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Personally I find it tough if games don’t even have basic damage type like blunt, slash, pierce but what I have been waiting for is fully weapon profiled/style of combat. Meaning that weapon ranges and damage types directly effect the combat styles.

Let me give few examples.

1.)    If eg. A dagger fighter would manage to get close up It would be hard for an (bi hand)sword wielding to do real good dmg at that range. He would have to try to get some distance between him and the dagger fighter through a kick a punch or jumping backwards while striking.

2.)    With small warhammers one could add to foes weapon delay maybe even interrupting the attack if enough impact dmg was done of course depending oh the foe size or bulk.

3.)    Or the typical gladiator combat stuff he throw a net over you. Do you free our self of the net while the gladiator harasses you from a safe range with his trident? Or do you go after him a bit hampered?

I hope you see what I am getting at there is so much tactic, diversity and fun if one has profiled weapons and combat styles. I hope one day some games find they’r way into realy weapon choice of combat.

---
Light laughter and sweet water to you fellow adventures.

Comments

• DiabolicalDiabolical Member Posts: 27
    That's a really good idea psibot but unfortunately i don't think  any game currently would go into that much detail yet as there are so many other important things they have to fix and add. I think that only an established game would be able to implement this idea into their game as the basis of their game is already complete and all they have to do now is upgrade the game with ideas like that.

Áh¾ß¤ðÑ®

Áh?ß?ðÑ®

• DerwoodDerwood Member Posts: 25

The system yor describing, is closer to what you would expect in a first person shooter.  Games like this require you to correctly possition your self and aim.  MMORPG were inspired by MUD's.  This type of game is more stratagy than twitch. 

In shadowbane your character auto attacks and follows your target.  It is asumed that he/she/it is attacking at the correct distance.  When a Mage goes toe to toe with Minotuar, the Minotuar slices the wizzard up for dinner.  You should get your skill up in that damage shield spell instead of worrying about how a 7ft tall Mino can hit you with that Poleaxe he is wielding.

• psibotpsibot Member Posts: 254

Originally posted by Derwood

The system yor describing, is closer to what you would expect in a first person shooter.  Games like this require you to correctly possition your self and aim.  MMORPG were inspired by MUD's.  This type of game is more stratagy than twitch. 
    In shadowbane your character auto attacks and follows your target.  It is asumed that he/she/it is attacking at the correct distance.  When a Mage goes toe to toe with Minotuar, the Minotuar slices the wizzard up for dinner.  You should get your skill up in that damage shield spell instead of worrying about how a 7ft tall Mino can hit you with that Poleaxe he is wielding.

Good points but I actualy  I was more imaging it as tactical fight where u must way cons and pros.

To direct involve ur statment I envisioned an autoattack but the contrahend would be able influence the standard distance to each other.

I think that could be fun btw I personaly dont play FPS or RTS actualy I only play (MMO)RPG's (PnP)sometimes puzzle, stratgie and rarly sims.

---

hmm DAoC went past me unnoticed all I heard of it is that Archers can shoot thru Walls and a like that true?

---

• NorikazuNorikazu Member Posts: 28

Fung Wan Online does it to some extent, basically you have your different stances/weapons : Fists, Staff, Sword,Sabre.

You get stance points the higher the stance level the more detailed your attacks get.

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman"
    "What ever happens, happens"

• PackardPackard Member Posts: 7

The system you describe reminds me of GURPS. GURPS is an older pen and paper game with lots of detail like that. www.sjgames.com is a website with all the stuff. They have damage multipliers on damage that gets through armor. Like if you're hit for 5 points of damage and your armor stops 3 then you take 2 points of damage, but if it was an impailing attack, like a knife in the back, that damage would be doubled for the extra damage done by the depth of the wound. Very nice system. I think it would be very cool for someone to make a gurps MMORPG. It could be in any genre too since GURPS stands for the Generic Universal Role Playing Set. It's a multi tech-level game. Very well done. End of salespitch.

-Packard-

Originally posted by Norikazu

Fung Wan Online does it to some extent, basically you have your different stances/weapons : Fists, Staff, Sword,Sabre.
    You get stance points the higher the stance level the more detailed your attacks get.

gratz on ur beta account but I was tring to head for more than animations something more interactive or tactical.

---

Originally posted by Packard

The system you describe reminds me of GURPS. 

image As an old taty PnP RPG Dog I know GURPS it was very modular give the players very many ways to design their chars it also focused on awarding exp for Roleplaying and/or Roleplaying our char correctly and no exp for killing monsters. We had alot fun with GURPS and the concept was great. What I learn with GURPS is thought that the CORE RULE SET actualy determines how players play a RPG. Mean at that time I played with differnent RPG groups of varing age even a hard core group with avg age 45 play 3 times a week. Well what I want to say is all differnt groups without knowing each other tendend to start exploit GURP rules to a degree which wasn't fun any more and I mite and that it was even real RPG gamers not only the power hungry ones.

The best rule set I have come past is "Danjerous Journeys" form gary gygax which was only 3 month on market due to some ownship quarrels;(

Other wise I keep landing with AD&D cuz lost of ppl know it or prefer the heroic type of RPG personly I loved "Danjerous Journeys" it had the right atmosphere spells and skills where RPG inspiring and the system was great as DM to hadle I had no issues and could handle losts of stuff without getting much sweat on my brow.

---