Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is NOT a MOBA. Know the difference.

SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Posted by Azzamasin on here a couple of days ago:  "Crafting Centric PvP based games are not for me and are IMO not meant to be put into an MMO.  That sort of thing belongs in a MOBA or other genre."

MOBA:  Multiplayer Onlie Battle Arena

A MOBA is yet another one of those lame inventions that came out of WoW (or at least, that's where I've first seen it implemented).  It's essentially an e-sport rather than a role playing game, in my eyes.  You have the BLUE and the RED team with exactly the same numbers under the restriction of some given rule set (like capture the flag, etc.).  To me, there's nothing that can ruin the immersion in a fantasy game more so than an e-sport (cash shops come in a close second).  This should be about Kings, Queens, Princes, Princesses, dwarfs, vikings, and elves fighting it out in a large world with legitimate motivations.  None of this instanced, hamster wheel BS in which your team of 3 or so got the most points.

Camelot Unchained is more of an MMORPG without the boring, easy grind.  Because you have to work to get your experience rather than defeating the same easy NPCs over and over again.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    You would be the first person I've seen mention the term MOBA when talking about CU, not sure anyone is really confused on this point.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I would like to also clear up the misconception this is a board game. Incorrect, it will be played on a computer so it will be a computer game.
  • SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    You would be the first person I've seen mention the term MOBA when talking about CU, not sure anyone is really confused on this point.

You obviously haven't been reading the forums too closely.  I've seen the pro-PvE crowd throw around the term "MOBA" a number of times as it relates to this game on this forum and others.  Their faulty logic is that since this game won't have PvE, it therefor must be a MOBA.  People tend to use extremes in their arguments when they don't like something.

Originally posted by flizzer
    I would like to also clear up the misconception this is a board game. Incorrect, it will be played on a computer so it will be a computer game.

Shroud of the Avatar could use your clearing up skillz. ;)  I hear they have some sort of weird "card-based" combat.

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

With respect Satarious and not to troll but just for clarification,

Is there a way you can find some archives in which said people have actually tried to "label" Camelot Unchained as a MOBA? This is the first I have read that anyone has quite clearly mistakenly labeled CU as such.

I am looking forward to Camelot reaching it's release date and the pvpers out there can finally find a home where they can thrive! As far as i can tell, CU looks very good!

Anyway, thanks Satarious for finding that info for me.

Alyn

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• lufiazlufiaz Member UncommonPosts: 122
    Originally posted by Satarious

A MOBA is yet another one of those lame inventions that came out of WoW (or at least, that's where I've first seen it implemented).  It's essentially an e-sport rather than a role playing game, in my eyes.  You have the BLUE and the RED team with exactly the same numbers under the restriction of some given rule set (like capture the flag, etc.).  To me, there's nothing that can ruin the immersion in a fantasy game more so than an e-sport (cash shops come in a close second).  This should be about Kings, Queens, Princes, Princesses, dwarfs, vikings, and elves fighting it out in a large world with legitimate motivations.  None of this instanced, hamster wheel BS in which your team of 3 or so got the most points.

Camelot Unchained is more of an MMORPG without the boring, easy grind.  Because you have to work to get your experience rather than defeating the same easy NPCs over and over again.

This is the first time I've heard someone mentioning DotA type games, aka your MOBAs along side with this...CU. What's CU btw? It means cock in my mother tongue hmmm

Originally posted by alyndale

Is there a way you can find some archives in which said people have actually tried to "label" Camelot Unchained as a MOBA? This is the first I have read that anyone has quite clearly mistakenly labeled CU as such.

I am looking forward to Camelot reaching it's release date and the pvpers out there can finally find a home where they can thrive! As far as i can tell, CU looks very good!

Alyn

With respect back at ya, I'm not about to go digging through forums to prove my point.  It's not that far of a leap to connect the butthurt pro-PvE crowd to accusations of this game being a MOBA since it won't contain PvE.  When people don't like something (in this case, PvP), they tend not to see the subtle differences between the game types.  MOBAs tend to be more about the e-sports.  This is not one of those games.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Alyn

With respect back at ya, I'm not about to go digging through forums to prove my point.  It's not that far of a leap to connect the butthurt pro-PvE crowd to accusations of this game being a MOBA since it won't contain PvE.  When people don't like something (in this case, PvP), they tend not to see the subtle differences between the game types.  MOBAs tend to be more about the e-sports.  This is not one of those games.

Well, I'm going with them, I've yet to see anyone refer to this game as a MOBA.

I follow it "reasonably well" as I backed it. I can't say I pour through this subforum for discussion but you are the first person I've seen indicate that there was any confusion.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Alyn

I follow it "reasonably well" as I backed it. I can't say I pour through this subforum for discussion but you are the first person I've seen indicate that there was any confusion.

Posted by Azzamasin on here a couple of days ago:

Crafting Centric PvP based games are not for me and are IMO not meant to be put into an MMO.  That sort of thing belongs in a MOBA or other genre.

The implication being that since this game is crafting and pvp centric, it therefore must be a MOBA (or non-mmo).  And as I've mentioned, I've seen this sentiment on other forums some months ago.   If you guys want to be anal about whether this view has been expressed or not before, go right ahead.  This thread is aimed at those who don't know the difference or who think PvP alone will be this game's downfall.  Obviously, you guys are on board.  My intention was not to preach to the choir.  Move along.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Alyn

I don't know about other forums, but the only person to mention CU and MOBA's has been the OP,  not really sure why anyone would confuse the game with a MOBA tbh, unless the OP is aware of something their not letting on, can't help but feel that there is some weird form of reverse psychology going on, in that by explaining it so vehemently, out of the blue for no apparent reason that stands up to even a basic level of scrutiny, i have to wonder, is the OP in fact trying to create said link between CU and MOBA's, by creating a discussion about that very same thing image

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Gonna have to cast my vote here too and say that I've never seen anyone associate this game with the MOBA genre either. Was a bit confused when I saw the thread title.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Posted by Azzamasin on here a couple of days ago:  "Crafting Centric PvP based games are not for me and are IMO not meant to be put into an MMO.  That sort of thing belongs in a MOBA or other genre."

in that case he's not saying "it's a moba" but is saying that he believes mmo's shouldn't have this and that their only place is in a MOBA. That's a big difference than saying Camelot Unchained IS a MOBA.

His thought is that MMO's should have x, y and z and if you take those things away then you might as well make a MOBA.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

That ONE person likened an aspect of the game to another. Perhaps incorrectly in our opinion, but perhaps thats how he associates the mechanic. So what?

The only person here who seems confused, is you.

Sorry buddy, but theres a whole lot of smoke and no fire in this topic.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

in that case he's not saying "it's a moba" but is saying that he believes mmo's shouldn't have this and that their only place is in a MOBA. That's a big difference than saying Camelot Unchained IS a MOBA.

His thought is that MMO's should have x, y and z and if you take those things away then you might as well make a MOBA.

That "x,y,and z" is basically just PvE.  Since that "important" MMO ingredient won't exist in this game, what else is left to conclude other than this must be a MOBA?  That's his thought process.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Wow.  I've got quite the response with this thread.  I just want to take this opportunity to thank the choir for proving Azzasmin wrong in his assertion that this game is anything like a MOBA.  He made this laughable comment in the "why the hype?" thread a couple of days ago.  It's good to see so many people agree with me that this is a ridiculous assertion.

You completely misread or misunderstood that post from him. This is what he said:

"Crafting Centric PvP based games are not for me and are IMO not meant to be put into an MMO.  That sort of thing belongs in a MOBA or other genre."

That doesn't imply in any way, shape, or form that CU is a MOBA. He's saying that type of gameplay should only be used in MOBA's. Completely different concept than what you interpreted.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Forgrimm
    Wow.  I've got quite the response with this thread.  I just want to take this opportunity to thank the choir for proving Azzasmin wrong in his assertion that this game is anything like a MOBA.  He made this laughable comment in the "why the hype?" thread a couple of days ago.  It's good to see so many people agree with me that this is a ridiculous assertion.

You completely misread or misunderstood that post from him. This is what he said:

"Crafting Centric PvP based games are not for me and are IMO not meant to be put into an MMO.  That sort of thing belongs in a MOBA or other genre."

That doesn't imply in any way, shape, or form that CU is a MOBA. He's saying that type of gameplay should only be used in MOBA's. Completely different concept than what you interpreted.

Sounds like the OP just misinterpreted what was being said, doesn't mean agree with him (Azzasmin) at all, as really need to see the game to see how well the whole thing meshes as to whether it belongs in an MMO rather than some other type of game. Wouldn't be the first argument caused over a simple misunderstanding image

OK.  I'm game.  Let's carry this logic a little further.  We both agree that he says that type of gameplay should only be used in MOBAs.  PvE is a pretty large portion of a typical MMO game.  If the only thing he loves doesn't exist in CU, how will it be much different from a typical MOBA game in his mind?  He's essentially saying the entire makeup of the gameplay in CU (which is pvp and crafting) is not for him.  And if you want to strip out the most important part of an mmo, it might as well be a MOBA.  I'm just addressing his misunderstanding of this game vs. a MOBA.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Alyn

Posted by Azzamasin on here a couple of days ago:

Crafting Centric PvP based games are not for me and are IMO not meant to be put into an MMO.  That sort of thing belongs in a MOBA or other genre.

The implication being that since this game is crafting and pvp centric, it therefore must be a MOBA (or non-mmo).  And as I've mentioned, I've seen this sentiment on other forums some months ago.   If you guys want to be anal about whether this view has been expressed or not before, go right ahead.  This thread is aimed at those who don't know the difference or who think PvP alone will be this game's downfall.  Obviously, you guys are on board.  My intention was not to preach to the choir.  Move along.

Actually, you're misinterpreting the post entirely. He's saying that crafting-centric PvP BELONGS in a MOBA game NOT in something like whatever game he's talking about, presumably CU. So he's actually saying the game is NOT a MOBA. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

OK.  I'm game.  Let's carry this logic a little further.  We both agree that he says that type of gameplay should only be used in MOBAs.  PvE is a pretty large portion of a typical MMO game.  If the only thing he loves doesn't exist in CU, how will it be much different from a typical MOBA game in his mind?  He's essentially saying the entire makeup of the gameplay in CU (which is pvp and crafting) is not for him.  And if you want to strip out the most important part of an mmo, it might as well be a MOBA.  I'm just addressing his misunderstanding of this game vs. a MOBA.

Did you mean let's carry the illogic a little further? First of all, you specifically referenced the PvE crowd as quoting, on multiple occasions, that CU is a MOBA. To quote:

"With respect back at ya, I'm not about to go digging through forums to prove my point.  It's not that far of a leap to connect the butthurt pro-PvE crowd to accusations of this game being a MOBA since it won't contain PvE.  When people don't like something (in this case, PvP), they tend not to see the subtle differences between the game types.  MOBAs tend to be more about the e-sports.  This is not one of those games."

Then, you actually went and found a single case and have turned your entire argument towards proving that single person wrong when, in fact, that person never once said that CU was "like" a MOBA in any way. You talk about the butt-hurt pro-PvE crowd, but I think that this thread has turned into the butt-hurt eco-maniac crowd (you) trying to defend a position that you're imagining just so you can be right. Unfortunately, each post just makes you look more and more ridiculous. So many it's time to just throw in the towel and say, "Hey, I must have misread the post. My bad." and move on. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

On a related note, while I'm sure CU won't be a MOBA, I'm not so sure what style of game it will be exactly.

Removing the focus on the PVE based progression aspect of the genre makes me wonder what we'll argue about calling it?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

Just for quick clarification here, MOBA's started with DOTA which came from the orginal StarCraft and was made extremely popular in Warcraft 3.  Wow had nothing to do with it, MOBA's came from RTS....

• Noobzilla_YouTubeNoobzilla_YouTube Member Posts: 21
    While I haven't heard anyone mention CU and MOBA in the same conversation, you are right, it definitely isn't one
  • MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148

I have been lurking on these forums for a long time, never read of Camelot Unchained being referred to as a MOBA. That is not a guess either, as I pay attention to the word MOBA. So there is no chance in passing, I forgot about it.

The reason is, I am somewhat interested in the game. I also hate MOBAs with a burning passion. If read the word MOBA, and all interest gets shut off before getting annoyed and taking it off games I pay attention to.  That and I would have went to their website to verify it.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Is this thread supposed to be a public shaming of Azzamasin? I don't get the reason for this thread's existence...
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by Kyleran

On a related note, while I'm sure CU won't be a MOBA, I'm not so sure what style of game it will be exactly.

Removing the focus on the PVE based progression aspect of the genre makes me wonder what we'll argue about calling it?

A game few people will be playing.