Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will it hit 100k?

CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

So Shards Online just passed the 90k mark, so there will be a "gooder" Story Editor released for the alpha. With just shy of a day left, can it make it to the 100k mark? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
----------------

Comments

• ForumKingForumKing Member UncommonPosts: 13
    As much as I'd like to see this game launched, the first kickstarter as well as the lack of chatter on here made me to believe there was little possibility it was going to happen.   With the second kickstarter , I was hoping they would at least  come close to their goal, but I'm completely surprised with the growth this game has gained over the past couple of weeks as well as the funding.   I'm going to be pessimistic and say they won't reach the goal.   Hopefully history repeats itself and I'm wrong :)
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Will it hit 100k?

Probably. There are a lot of gullible people out there.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • ForumKingForumKing Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek

Will it hit 100k?

Hiiiiii yooooooo!!!!

heres to gullible!!  :)

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Will it hit 100k?

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm on the opposite side of the fence. I hate having to deal with haters, while I'm funding things that they end up loving. 

BTW, you're welcome for Shroud of the Avatar. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Will it hit 100k?

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm on the opposite side of the fence. I hate having to deal with haters, while I'm funding things that they end up loving. 

To be fair, I'm pretty sure anyone that plays any of these games is going to have to pay for them.  You know, the way games have worked basically since home computers have been available.  Crowd funding is simply a clever way for game developers to avoid professional means of funding and allows them to keep all profits generated by their work, rather than give the lion's share of them to the people that actually paid for the game to happen.  If you take a break from tooting your own horn and really look at the crowd funding model (and you possess the ability for at least basic reasoning), you will see that it's actually pretty much the worst deal for game buyers.  You pay (generally more than box price) with no guarantee of a finish product or of the quality if a finished product is produced.  You have to wait years to receive the finished product and you gain no real benefit from essentially playing the role of private investor.  

Originally posted by killion81

Will it hit 100k?

To be fair, I'm pretty sure anyone that plays any of these games is going to have to pay for them.  You know, the way games have worked basically since home computers have been available.  Crowd funding is simply a clever way for game developers to avoid professional means of funding and allows them to keep all profits generated by their work, rather than give the lion's share of them to the people that actually paid for the game to happen.  If you take a break from tooting your own horn and really look at the crowd funding model (and you possess the ability for at least basic reasoning), you will see that it's actually pretty much the worst deal for game buyers.  You pay (generally more than box price) with no guarantee of a finish product or of the quality if a finished product is produced.  You have to wait years to receive the finished product and you gain no real benefit from essentially playing the role of private investor.  

Totally agree, but would the game be made otherwise? In some cases, probably not. There are cases where the game is well into development so it's a foregone conclusion, but some would simply not be made. So happy Friday and toot toot. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I'm just glad there are suckers, er, I mean gamers willing to give developers money so I can possibly play the game if it is completed.
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I'm just glad there are suckers, er, I mean gamers willing to give developers money so I can possibly play the game if it is completed.

Sucker implies that they don't understand what they're putting their money into. I prefer "People with more money than they know what to do with." 

Personally, I know the risks, but I also want to promote innovation. I want high-concept games to be successful, not just in KS, but in release, so maybe we get AAA titles with crazier budgets and higher standards that will get made. Look at how Minecraft popularized voxel games. That's an extreme example, but crowd funding is definitely a vessel for gamers to express their wants. How effectively? It's probably too early to say, especially for video games. There is an impact, though. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514
    100 K Reached !  Further Stretch Goals added....

Woot! Almost 101K. 

To be honest, I'm just happy to get a story editor for the alpha. Everything else is gravy! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

Will it hit 100k?

I'm not going to thank you. I "invested" $275 in that game and I regret every penny so far.

Last unfinished game I ever fund.

Optional PvP = No PvP

Will it hit 100k?

I'm not going to thank you. I "invested" $275 in that game and I regret every penny so far.

Yeah, but it's not even Alpha yet. Honestly, sometimes it's better to simply not play it until release. I know it kinda kills the excitement of being first in, but it usually leaves you with a better taste in your mouth. On the other hand, if you geek out on actually debugging problems and submitting defects to the developer, then alphas are really cool. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

Will it hit 100k?

Yeah, but it's not even Alpha yet. Honestly, sometimes it's better to simply not play it until release. I know it kinda kills the excitement of being first in, but it usually leaves you with a better taste in your mouth. On the other hand, if you geek out on actually debugging problems and submitting defects to the developer, then alphas are really cool. 

The game is getting worse with each release, not better IMO so the alpha excuse doesn't fly with me.

Optional PvP = No PvP

Will it hit 100k?

The game is getting worse with each release, not better IMO so the alpha excuse doesn't fly with me.

Well the problem with game development is that their is always a vision that they're designing to. Then, there's always someone who has to implement that. Sometimes/many times that simply isn't the right way and more times than not, it's the changes to the core game that end up making it horrible and unbearable. They can also code themselves into a corner where they simply cannot implement the desired design because of limitations to the way they've coded the game. So, again, it's a big step back. It's not limited to game development, it's all software development. Crap! I'm pretty sure Pillars of Eternity or Torment: ToN sent out an update at one point with a link to their design mindmap. I'd imagine something like SotA would be double or triple that. That's not an excuse, though, it's just a reality. The biggest problem with the way alphas are done now is that they are very transparent. You get to see all the horrible little secrets and oversights. So it doesn't really reflect really well on the company or the game, but c'est la vie, right? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

I watched their end video, and it felt like they would have gotten far more pledges if they had included a video with bit longer gameplay on their kickstarter frontpage. it was the first time I got the sense that its a game and not just a lot of concepts, and that makes it a lot easier for people like me to open their wallets and back the project.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • CerthasCerthas Member UncommonPosts: 27
    105k. not bad.
  • Logrus_CSLogrus_CS Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Originally posted by killion81

Can't really speak for other games or game shops, but for us the crowd funding options really has nothing to do with where the profits go, but rather where the game goes. Even if you manage to find an investor/stakeholder with no interest in making decisions based on how it is run, you are still financially responsible to make decisions to return a profit to your investor. At which point you end up with more resources going toward profit turning development regardless of what is good for the game. Which is why micro-transactions and pay to win mechanics end up in so many places and we would very much like to avoid.