Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the hype?

Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318
I watched the trailer video just because this was at #5 most hyped coming MMORPG. It literally told me NOTHING about the game. I watched the entire video, saw "Kickstarter" text at the end of the video and lost my interest about the game.

Comments

• TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208

Why not the hype?

Far worse MMO's have gotten on the hype train for absolutely no reason :)

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Ignore the hype meter on this site.  It literally DOES NOT reflect the pulse of the gaming community.  More like a list of games that no one is likely to play if you ask me.

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by TheGoblinKing

Why not the hype?

Don't remind me about that. I still have shit in my mouth from ~2 months of Archeage.

So.. why hype some unknown kickstarter game? Does community ever learn not to trust the hype train?

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

I would suggest checking out the main site as well as reading the dev letters.  They have some interesting things expected for this game like true pvp leveling.  As well as crafting classes if I recall. 

It's been awhile since I read through all of the systems they have but they are trying some different things out.  I was a huge DAoC player and after watching the initial kickstarter and researching the game more a month or two ago, I am definitely looking forward to this game.  It's definitely worth a look at their site if you haven't already.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Masa1
    I watched the trailer video just because this was at #5 most hyped coming MMORPG. It literally told me NOTHING about the game. I watched the entire video, saw "Kickstarter" text at the end of the video and lost my interest about the game.

Well, you pretty much answered your own question. Any game that goes the crowdfunding way needs HYPE, so they actively go out to create it. If they are really lucky they will create enough hype for it during the kickstarter for the hype to become self sustaining. Then they just need to add a non-limited private backer/cash shop program and they are set. Sure eventually yhey need to deliver something slightly playable, but thats a minor detail, as people will have moved onto the next hype train by then.

• Why the hype? 4 words.

Dark Age of Camelot

I don't have to say anything else...

Why not the hype?

Don't remind me about that. I still have shit in my mouth from ~2 months of Archeage.

So.. why hype some unknown kickstarter game? Does community ever learn not to trust the hype train?

The game isn't unknown, it's being lead by Mark Jacobs, the creator behind Dark Ages of Camelot and one or two of the Warhammer games I believe.  Wasn't a Warhammer person so not sure which but he did at least 1 of those games. 

Originally posted by Cramit845

Why not the hype?

The game isn't unknown, it's being lead by Mark Jacobs, the creator behind Dark Ages of Camelot and one or two of the Warhammer games I believe.  Wasn't a Warhammer person so not sure which but he did at least 1 of those games. 

Only one guy from famous game? That's it? That's your reason for hype train?

I would suggest checking out the main site as well as reading the dev letters.  They have some interesting things expected for this game like true pvp leveling.  As well as crafting classes if I recall. 

It's been awhile since I read through all of the systems they have but they are trying some different things out.  I was a huge DAoC player and after watching the initial kickstarter and researching the game more a month or two ago, I am definitely looking forward to this game.  It's definitely worth a look at their site if you haven't already.

I opened the website.. saw a button taking half of the screen "PLEDGE NOW" next to the box taking the other half of the screen "GRAND TOTAL 2,9 MIL". After that... I lost all interest about the game.

Once again I trusted the hype train and was disapointed.

I opened the website.. saw a button taking half of the screen "PLEDGE NOW" next to box taking another half of the screen "GRAND TOTAL 2,9 MIL". After that... I lost all interest about the game.

Eh, to each their own.  Still many options in the genre, good luck!

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

For a number of people, I don't think the hype is for an "unknown kickstarter game" so much as for a DAoC successor by a guy who may have learned a thing or two since working on DaOC. I backed this project, but not because of any fond memory of DAoC. I backed it because I liked the ideas and what they presented during the Kickstarter campaign. Since then, they have been providing updates at a fairly steady pace and you can get a decent amount of info at their TwitchTv page: http://www.twitch.tv/citystategames/profile. Otherwise, they also fairly active on Twitter https://twitter.com/CityStateGames.

That said, beyond the Kickstarter campaign, has there really been that much hype on this site? The sites hype meter aside, I haven't seen a whole lot of posts about CU. In all fairness, I tend to just check the front page feed though and only occasionally delve into a specific games sub-forums.

Personally, I'm excited about the game, but right now it is not even in beta, so not sure what good hyping it would do other then keeping it fresh in mind. I think some of the technology/mechanics they've been working on makes for neat discussion. Beyond that....sure, people should be cautious of hype and should review whatever material is available before deciding to spend money. 

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

You will see a small vocal group of mmorpg players hype this game up and once it launches it will just be another road kill on the internet highway that is already littered with failed pvp games.

The hype hasn't even begun yet.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

But didn't you do everything right then? This site is to show you new games.

You found one - you checked it - you quickly figured out you won't like it.

Seems like everything is working as intended.

Harbinger of Fools
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Pepeq

Ignore the hype meter on this site.  It literally DOES NOT reflect the pulse of the gaming community.  More like a list of games that no one is likely to play if you ask me.

Yeah games like this get lots of hype on sites like this. But out in the real world no one has even heard of this game. You would be surprised at how many mmo gamers i know that never even heard of Wildstar.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Its a game that keeps cropping up for some reason, i don't see it being finished anytime soon, so why bother hyping it at this point anyway?

But, having said that, i really enjoy playing Planetside 2, and while some might think WTF has that got to do with anything, the idea of 3 factions/races/whatever, battling for terrain gains, keeps castles or whatever, can be fun if done right, in Planetside 2 its a constant battle back and forth to try and gain dominance on a continent and lock it to your faction for a while, now, if CU can somehow translate the whole medieval combat into that kind of thing, and still make things challenging, then great.

The only thing that worries me is the whole levels issues, one thing that Planetside 2 does well is that Newby McNewb level 1 guy can take out a level 100 without any support from anyone else, with stock weaponry that everybody starts the game with.

But, another thing that does give me some encouragement is that the game is not going to be F2P, but a subscription based game, that at least will, with any luck, rule out any P2W issues such as the ones encountered in ArcheAge image

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Why not the hype?

Lol, this is like saying, "Why does it matter if Derek Jeter retires? It's just one guy." Replace any major star in place of Jeter, Lebron James, Peyton Manning, Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky. Sorry, it's a ridiculous argument. DAOC is, possibly, top 5 as far as most recognized games in the entire genre. Same can be said about Chris Roberts, Brad McQuaid, Cliffy B. All people who defined or redefined genres. So of course there's hype surrounding it. Your expectations will, as they should be, elevated beyond realistic expectations. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I opened the website.. saw a button taking half of the screen "PLEDGE NOW" next to the box taking the other half of the screen "GRAND TOTAL 2,9 MIL". After that... I lost all interest about the game.

You confess you know nothing about the game and express your disinterest largely on so called "hype"?

What hype? A relative small pool of people even know much about the game. They will gladly help you know more if you ask though.

How does 2.9 million dissuade you? Do you know this raises constantly? It it too little for your imagination to accept a game can be developed with it? Are you aware that this game is only  roughly 50% crowd funded and therefore has a budget twice that with a highly skilled and experience dev team devoted nearly exclusively to it's development making it vastly more efficient per dollar to make?

Did you watch all the videos explaining the design goals? Have you read all areas of the website and check out the forums for more knowledge? 

Are you aware that hype is a side affect of disseminated information and the opinion generated from it? Are you aware that your own opinion is the only thing that matters but as per definition MUST be formulated by information ... something you seem to ignoring?

Help yourself. Do not look to others other than to obtain fact and not opinion. That is the key to your inner turmoil.

You stay sassy!

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

Because people get excited for the potential of new things. Which, so long as something failing to live up to your preconceived expectations does not turn you into a raging old neck beard, then I see no harm in getting excited. :) 

If you're overly susceptible to hype, disappointment, and eventual frothy mouthed rage that we will all have the pleasure of reading...simply look away while others are expressing excitement. 

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250

Why not the hype?

How many mmorpg names are there? Not too many.  Shroud of the Avatar sucks and theres hype around it.

• beerholocausbeerholocaus Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Well! RVR like Warhammer online?? Or Camelot?? ring the bells??
  • ashe59ashe59 Member UncommonPosts: 39
     Because people like to torture themselves , so they hype the things they're interested in up to unreachable levels , then when they fall short they whine about it on public forums .
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

There are two active threads for camelot unchained, this one and a daoc thread. Its not like people make threads over and over again getting hyped about the game, its just that its an interesting idea for an MMO that hopefully is attractive to a niche crowd.

Come back in 2016 and you will see a real hype train. (realizes that op made the post 10 days ago and only 20 posts in the thread)

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • 9Seraph9Seraph Member UncommonPosts: 10

Why not the hype?

Some unknown kickstarter game isn't exactly accurate. :)

Plenty of folks in the DAoC/WAR subscriber base are familiar with Mark Jacobs and his work. I loved what they were doing with Warhammer, but unfortunately it crashed and burned hard without a 3rd faction.

I am looking forward to seeing if he can pull off a gem here with all the lessons learned from WAR (which wasn't a bad game, mind you).

Originally posted by Tamanous

How does 2.9 million dissuade you? Do you know this raises constantly? It it too little for your imagination to accept a game can be developed with it? Are you aware that this game is only  roughly 50% crowd funded and therefore has a budget twice that with a highly skilled and experience dev team devoted nearly exclusively to it's development making it vastly more efficient per dollar to make?

You misuderstood me. I wasn't scared of too small $ number. I was angry about the fact that they're trying to milk the players dry even before the game has been made.

Where do you see that highly skilled dev team? I can only see overhyped game and overhyped dev team.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Tamanous

You misuderstood me. I wasn't scared of too small $ number. I was angry about the fact that they're trying to milk the players dry even before the game has been made.

Where do you see that highly skilled dev team? I can only see overhyped game and overhyped dev team.

Since when does this game get overhyped? All I have seen until now is people talking about the systems that are planned.
    It has some nice systems that sound great, interaction between spells or the whole crafter aspect of the game to name two.

If you want to learn more about the game you can search youtube for "BSC Presentation". There are some videos of them explaining different aspects of the game.

An example from that series which fits to your overhyped dev team statement: imo it is not that they are the best out there but they seem to do stuff better than others. f.e.

They use crowdfunding which means asking for money to create something and the people who give money get something in return once the product is finished. That imho is far from "trying to milk the players dry even before the game has been made"