Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which one to resub: Swtor or ESO...

13»

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875
    Play as an imperial agent or do the Jedi Knight or Sith warrior story line you will not regret picking SWTOR.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Emhster

I've been playing FFXIV for over a year, but my friends are turning inactive and the game is too grindey for me at this time. I'm looking for quality PVE with an active community and a good storyline.

I'm considering the following games (What I liked, what made me quit a long time ago): 

• SWToR: Really enjoyed the story, but found myself stuck on empty planets and soon felt like a single player.
    • ESO: Graphics are outstanding, but finding myself competing with Bots was a turn off

Does the starting areas in SWToR doing fine despite this game being launched quite a while ago? Are planets still empty? Is ESO's community as bad as some may pretend? Or is it 'ok' to be a newcomer?

Guess personal preference.

Swtor for me is 2nd best game ever made, after Wow. Actually love lore much more with Swtor and I'm familiar with, but for sure Wow is best out there. But as said, to somebody best game ever made can still be Pacman from decades ago. :-)

Now playing Wow, but immediately when I will need short break I'm with Swtor and new expansion. Main problem is so much to do and not enough of time for work, family, playing, ... :-)

• SalvadorbardSalvadorbard Member UncommonPosts: 100
    SW:TOR for sure.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by daltanious

I've been playing FFXIV for over a year, but my friends are turning inactive and the game is too grindey for me at this time. I'm looking for quality PVE with an active community and a good storyline.

I'm considering the following games (What I liked, what made me quit a long time ago): 

• SWToR: Really enjoyed the story, but found myself stuck on empty planets and soon felt like a single player.
    • ESO: Graphics are outstanding, but finding myself competing with Bots was a turn off

Does the starting areas in SWToR doing fine despite this game being launched quite a while ago? Are planets still empty? Is ESO's community as bad as some may pretend? Or is it 'ok' to be a newcomer?

Guess personal preference.

Swtor for me is 2nd best game ever made, after Wow. Actually love lore much more with Swtor and I'm familiar with, but for sure Wow is best out there. But as said, to somebody best game ever made can still be Pacman from decades ago. :-)

Now playing Wow, but immediately when I will need short break I'm with Swtor and new expansion. Main problem is so much to do and not enough of time for work, family, playing, ... :-)

I agree with you.

For me WOW and SWTOR sub run simultaneously. And when i get burned out on both i jump to EQ2.

Only these three MMOS have been steady source of entertainment for me for many years now. Everything else just comes and goes.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

First let me say that I don't like either game just so you know where I am coming from. 

With SWTOR you had story, and that's about it. Once you were done with that you have no real MMO to play. There is no depth to anything in the game and now you have to deal with F2P players.

With ESO, well. I didn't like anything about the game at all but, the game did have some depth to it at least AND there are no F2P players meaning everyone still playing it, likes it. Also, if bots were your reason to quit, that has been mostly taken care of from what I have read.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by JJ82

First let me say that I don't like either game just so you know where I am coming from. 

With SWTOR you had story, and that's about it. Once you were done with that you have no real MMO to play. There is no depth to anything in the game and now you have to deal with F2P players.

With ESO, well. I didn't like anything about the game at all but, the game did have some depth to it at least AND there are no F2P players meaning everyone still playing it, likes it. Also, if bots were your reason to quit, that has been mostly taken care of from what I have read.

Well thanks for bringing nothing to this discussion.  But I really got a kick out of "Swtor is not a real MMO".  

Crafting?  Check

Trading/GTN?   Check

Flashpoints? Check

Ops? Check

pvp? Check

Planet conquests? Check

World bosses ? Check 

World exploration/datacrons ? Check

Guild hosing?  Check

Just thought I'd name a few MMO aspects SWTOR has.  If you want more feel free to ask. 

Ok so where exactly are they missing the "Mmo" part again?  By your standards there are no MMOs out today I guess...

SWTOR as of now has more content and features than ESO. And could you please define this 'depth'? 

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913
    I'm going to try swtor especially since 3.0 hit this morning. Thanks for the inputs :)
  • Overlord_NeizirOverlord_Neizir Member UncommonPosts: 136

I'd say ESO. A bot hasn't been seen in months and most bugs are fixed now, though wait for Update 6 (about 2 weeks' time) before resubbing. There's tons more content than SWTOR and also don't forget its huge monthly updates. Quests are tons better as well.

Also the community is leagues ahead of what you'd find in SWTOR or WoW, very friendly, big and active with about 1.2m total subs as of the last report in October.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

Skyrim is much much better than ESO, if u want PvP play a moba, and ifu want a coop dungeon crawl go with the much better ones. Same with swtor the single player old repbulic. if I had only those 2 ESO.

I'm going to try swtor especially since 3.0 hit this morning. Thanks for the inputs :)

Excellent choice.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Tasslehoff35

Well thanks for bringing nothing to this discussion.  But I really got a kick out of "Swtor is not a real MMO".  

Crafting?  Check sending a companion off to craft an item for 3 hours is not crafting and proves lack of depth.

Trading/GTN?   Check game is so bad a standard feature is in a list to prove its an MMO.

Flashpoints? Check  A thing found in single player games with multi-player options.

Ops? Check  See above

pvp? Check  So does multiplayer games

Planet conquests? Check  Not an MMO feature

World bosses ? Check  found in most single player games.

World exploration/datacrons ? Check  tiny zones, many single player RPGs are larger and datacrons were in the SRPGs.

Guild hosing?  Check   This means what? Are you saying all MMORPGs without guild housing weren't MMOs?

Just thought I'd name a few MMO aspects SWTOR has.  If you want more feel free to ask. 

Ok so where exactly are they missing the "Mmo" part again?  By your standards there are no MMOs out today I guess...

You summed up nicely how non-MMOish the game is. A list drastically different from what people would list for older MMO and even newer ones and more than a few things that don't make up MMOs.

BTW, loved the typical ending, was icing.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/