Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which one to resub: Swtor or ESO...

Comments

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by XAleX360
    Originally posted by Emhster

I've been playing FFXIV for over a year, but my friends are turning inactive and the game is too grindey for me at this time. I'm looking for quality PVE with an active community and a good storyline.

I'm considering the following games (What I liked, what made me quit a long time ago): 

• SWToR: Really enjoyed the story, but found myself stuck on empty planets and soon felt like a single player.
    • ESO: Graphics are outstanding, but finding myself competing with Bots was a turn off

Does the starting areas in SWToR doing fine despite this game being launched quite a while ago? Are planets still empty? Is ESO's community as bad as some may pretend? Or is it 'ok' to be a newcomer?

SWTOR has a good story but it doesn't feel like a real world to me, the planets are just  too small on average, plus it has tab-targeting combat which at this point really turns me off. 

ESO has better graphics, a much better game world (with lots of chances to interact with it) and actiony combat. Personally, I played both at launch but I'm about to go back to ESO. 

I am sorry but SWTOR maps are anything but small . FFXIV has small zones, SWTOR do not. 

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Of the two, SWTOR.

I enjoyed my time in SWTOR despite being a bit disappointed. I cannot say the same for ESO. They both share the same style, a story driven theme park with lots of voice acting and cut scenes, but SWTOR has FAR better group content and FAR better combat.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

Of the two, SWTOR.

I enjoyed my time in SWTOR despite being a bit disappointed. I cannot say the same for ESO. They both share the same style, a story driven theme park with lots of voice acting and cut scenes, but SWTOR has FAR better group content and FAR better combat.

That's what is funny about opinions; mine is the exact opposite.

Good luck with your choice OP, never really understood these threads.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913
    Originally posted by Heretique

Of the two, SWTOR.

Interesting. I enjoyed story driven dungeons back in SWTOR. I havent tried ESO as much, but do you think group content is better? (and why)

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Of the two, SWTOR.

Yeah,.. I should probably put a "imo" on the end of my statement.

I am not a fan of having 5 or so abilities or the trend to "action" combat, so pretty much by default any game that has it I will not be a fan of. But that said, one of the things I feel that SWTOR got right was their combat, even funner, imo, than other tab based multi-action-bar mmos like WoW or Rift.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Of the two, SWTOR.

That's why I play SWTOR more like an instanced lobby game. I level doing FP and go do the class stories.

The actual planets outside the quests are pointless and very dull to explore.

IMO ESO kills SWTOR in most things, crafting, world exploration, character customization.

I like both combat styles (tab targeting/action). ESO edges it though as it feels better. I prefer the magicka/stamina management over cooldowns. ESO combat just feels right, more immersive.

Of the two, SWTOR.

Interesting. I enjoyed story driven dungeons back in SWTOR. I havent tried ESO as much, but do you think group content is better? (and why)

ESO is probably the most solo oriented game after GW2. SWTOR offers lot more in terms of group content. So even i don't know what he is talking about.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Of the two, SWTOR.

ESO is probably the most solo oriented game after GW2. SWTOR offers lot more in terms of group content. So even i don't know what he is talking about.

ESO PVE is, but PVP is a whole different thing that is group based and dynamic. SWTOR was supposed to also have that with a whole PVP planet, Ilum, and if they had actually done that properly, I might have stuck around after leveling a couple of toons.

If the OP wants to stay for a while beyond just leveling to level cap, then the question just boils down to what kind of thing can keep you engaged for months: dungeons and raids or large scale PVP? SWTOR for #1 and ESO for #2... getting to end game? they're both mostly story driven solo experiences - hardly any difference between them in that respect.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

Of the two, SWTOR.

ESO PVE is, but PVP is a whole different thing that is group based and dynamic. SWTOR was supposed to also have that with a whole PVP planet, Ilum, and if they had actually done that properly, I might have stuck around after leveling a couple of toons.

If the OP wants to stay for a while beyond just leveling to level cap, then the question just boils down to what kind of thing can keep you engaged for months: dungeons and raids or large scale PVP? SWTOR for #1 and ESO for #2... getting to end game? they're both mostly story driven solo experiences - hardly any difference between them in that respect.

Yes but in SWTOR LFG tool actually works and also offers group quests and elites/rare to hunt down in groups. Where as ESO is just solo questing through storylines. I didn't mention PVP because he is coming from FFXIV.

• TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208

Originally posted by Emhster I've been playing FFXIV for over a year, but my friends are turning inactive and the game is too grindey for me at this time. I'm looking for quality PVE with an active community and a good storyline. I'm considering the following games (What I liked, what made me quit a long time ago): 
    • SWToR: Really enjoyed the story, but found myself stuck on empty planets and soon felt like a single player. ESO: Graphics are outstanding, but finding myself competing with Bots was a turn off
      Does the starting areas in SWToR doing fine despite this game being launched quite a while ago? Are planets still empty? Is ESO's community as bad as some may pretend? Or is it 'ok' to be a newcomer?    
    why would you even consider paying for a free to play game? it's not worth money by it's very nature.
    Originally posted by Iselin

Of the two, SWTOR.

Yes but in SWTOR LFG tool actually works and also offers group quests and elites/rare to hunt down in groups. Where as ESO is just solo questing through storylines. I didn't mention PVP because he is coming from FFXIV.

They both have some group elements that they try to incorporate into the PVE to a greater or lesser extent - ESO also has the elite areas with bosses, anchors and a LFG tool...of sorts :)

But the core PVE design for both is solo quests with excellent story lines and cinematics. One with a side-kick and the other not but virtually identical solo leveling experiences.

On a side note...I still remember my Sith Sorcerer's personal story line as having one of the most surprising and funny plot twists I've ever seen in an MMO.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by TheGoblinKing

Originally posted by Emhster I've been playing FFXIV for over a year, but my friends are turning inactive and the game is too grindey for me at this time. I'm looking for quality PVE with an active community and a good storyline. I'm considering the following games (What I liked, what made me quit a long time ago): 
    • SWToR: Really enjoyed the story, but found myself stuck on empty planets and soon felt like a single player. ESO: Graphics are outstanding, but finding myself competing with Bots was a turn off
    why would you even consider paying for a free to play game? it's not worth money by it's very nature.

Because SWTOR F2P is very restrictive and is only good for those who want to experince storylines. And since OP is looking for long term experince he will need to subscribe.

SWTOR F2P is nothing more than an extended trial.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Having played both:

ESO: Played at launch to level 50. Left shortly after. Came back 3 months later and played to v2. Found it mind-numbingly tedious and boring. Left again. No plans to return.

SWTOR: Played at launch to level 22. Left shortly after. Came back 2 years later and loved the changes to the game. Played F2P for a few weeks. Currently subbed. No plans to leave.

If you want a good story-line, go with SWTOR. ESO's story is disjointed, uninteresting, and has no soul.

In SWTOR, I'm playing on Begeren Colony (RP-PvE) and it's always busy no matter what time I play. Come join us. :-)

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

ESO...by the time you get to 50 VR should hopefully revised

For me...there is NOTHING about SWTOR to recommend it.

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230
    The funny thing here is after you hit max lvl in Eso you can't do anything solo, Craglorn quests/delves, Dungeons, Trials, Dragonstar arena everything needs a group & ppl call it here a solo game..on the other hand in Eso forums ppl begging for more solo content XD:)
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by AsalzSy
    The funny thing here is after you hit max lvl in Eso you can't do anything solo, Craglorn quests/delves, Dungeons, Trials, Dragonstar arena everything needs a group & ppl call it here a solo game..on the other hand in Eso forums ppl begging for more solo content XD:)

qft lol

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626

ESO requires a buy in to try it

swtor is free

i just resubbed to swtor  because their expansion is releasing in a week and they were doing a 12x exp bonus for class quests so you basically could b-line any class's storyline in 2 days

i played eso "beta" right before launch and it was terrible , swtor atleast feels like a mmo styled kotor and voice acting is great and cutscenes are great. i know a lot of people hate on swtor but still the story and solo content is the absolute best in the mmo genre,

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Both SWTOR and ESO are praiseworthy games. While SWTOR is more akin to a traditional MMORPG, with a standard UI and WoW-like combat and progression, its story elements are very solid, offering detailed quests with entertaining plots. It also helps that cut scenes and voice acting/dialogue sequences are of superb quality.

ESO also has many interesting stories to tell, and while TOR definitely beats it in terms of overall VO quality (not quantity, however), it is still probably the most immersive game in the industry. Tamriel is beautiful and feels far more like an actual world than any of those present in SWTOR. Citizens move around and talk about the happenings, objects of all types can be looted and are interactive, days shifts to nights, etc. Overall, the world design is outstanding with an organic vibe to it, and ZeniMax Online has done such a spectacular job in taking care of the small details which really add up to make the experience as believable as possible for the player.

Another crucial aspect of the game is the UI, or lack thereof. Through the use of add-ons and some tweaking to the game's interface settings, you can eliminate almost every element of the user interface, making for an incredibly immersive gameplay experience. It also helps that you don't have to manage four or five 12-button hot bars at a time, as ESO makes you choose five skills and an ultimate ability per weapon slot (two) from several dozen available. Combat is similar to the other games in the Elder Scrolls series, where you use your mouse clicks to block and defend, making it feel far more hands-on and action-packed.

Another redeemable aspect of this game is the great amounts of player customization. You definitely choose a class when creating a new character, which determines three of the many skill lines at your disposal, but as a class you are not limited to a specific archetype. This gives way to a plethora of build ideas and provides incentive for players to experiment and try out new styles of play.

In the end, SWTOR and ESO will more than likely provide you with a good dose of entertainment. However, if I were to recommend only one game, it would be ESO.

Originally posted by Kratier

ESO requires a buy in to try it

swtor is free

i just resubbed to swtor  because their expansion is releasing in a week and they were doing a 12x exp bonus for class quests so you basically could b-line any class's storyline in 2 days

i played eso "beta" right before launch and it was terrible , swtor atleast feels like a mmo styled kotor and voice acting is great and cutscenes are great. i know a lot of people hate on swtor but still the story and solo content is the absolute best in the mmo genre,

So you're biased based on your limited experience, and I'm not.I have played both to level cap and liked both.

As I already said, it boils down to what you want to do at the level cap: PVP? Then it's ESO hands down unless you like goofy quick scenarios.

PVE? SWTOR has an advantage in dungeons and raids.

And OP, the bots are nowhere to be seen in ESO and the community is friendly and helpful.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by AsalzSy

Yes people call it a solo game from lvl 1 to 50. Every MMO offer a lot of group content at max level so ESO is nothing special in that regard.

• zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324
    SWTOR is singleplayer game. We are on mmorpg site. I suggest you ESO.
    Originally posted by zzax
    SWTOR is singleplayer game. We are on mmorpg site. I suggest you ESO.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

They're honestly both good games if you enjoy story-driven MMOs.

Something which may help you decide; do you enjoy housing? Since SWTOR added Strongholds a while ago, while ESO still leaves you homeless (if I'm not mistaken at least).

It may be the tiebreaker you're looking for then.

And also to confirm what several others have already said, yes, the planets are pretty busy these days, and most of them have several instances up during primetime (and outside of it for the most part).

There's a good reason the devs have been bragging about playing numbers lately. (with one million players who play frequently)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741

I can't remember the last time I saw a bot in ESO.

I would base this on how much time you originally spent in each game and how much time has past since then. MMOs get better with time. You do have to be wary of cash shop changes though, they can change the nature of gameplay overnight. But barring that go for the game you played longest ago.

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    I would personally do something else with your life until a better game came along as neither are a worthy use of anyone's time in my opinion. However, if someone put a gun to my head (and they'd have to) I would pick SWTOR, simply because there is some temporary immersion to be had in the storyline (preferably Imperial Agent) and it's free to enjoy this, paid content at least last time I played wasn't essential. I would personally avoid ESO like the plague because it subtly promises an Elder Scrolls-like experience but it delivers nothing but a wafer thin version of it. There is a storyline that is mildly interesting in parts but it largely degenerates into a quest hub dronerama before very long.