Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Giving Thanks

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

I'm sure that when the Pilgrims first celebrated their bountiful autumn harvest, nearly four centuries ago, they didn't just give thanks for surviving in the New World. I'm pretty sure they were equally thankful for their high-speed Internet connections and for their Native American buddies with whom they could play the latest online video games, like Madden Lacrosse '22 and Grand Theft Carriage Online. That all totally happened, right?

Read more of Jason Winter's Guild Wars 2: Giving Thanks.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

I was always thankful for racial gear! Since most of the cloth armor looks pretty bad...

Stop making me miss GW2 btw... I still have it installed but I'm playing WoW and SOTA right now dammit!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Levelscaling is so next gen....  In my opinion every MMO that is content based should have it...

for games that have dynamic content like Gw2s events, the system is a must.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    The fact that the living story can be permanently accessed now (and that it's much better). Missed a lot of S1, so I'll never be able to see that again. But now? I can log in to get it saved, but come back to actually play it weeks later. It's nice to know that you don't have to rush to see all the content, just to make sure you log in once every few weeks : P
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

City of Heroes had level scaling a loooooonnnnnnggggg time ago with open world events.  And they even had a mentoring system.

So not so next gen....

• moravamorava Member UncommonPosts: 31
    gameplay and art style, after more than two years i can still run through world just to enjoy scenery.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

City of Heroes had level scaling a loooooonnnnnnggggg time ago with open world events.  And they even had a mentoring system.

So not so next gen....

+1, and also you could upscale too, if you wanted more challenge.

What I'm giving thanks for (a bit odd, since I'm this side of the pond and don't have this thanking process around here), maybe that GW2 took only one week from me :) I really don't like GW1, but even there I stayed more than in 2.

I liked the posted picture in the column, however. Exactly, LotRO's wallet is cool. (even if the premium one costs 1000TP... )

• nebb1234nebb1234 Member Posts: 242
    it really is a gorgeous game
  • Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by nebb1234
    it really is a gorgeous game

Probably the best-looking MMO on the market in terms of aesthetics.  I don't like a lot of the design choices Arenanet made, I don't like mmorpg.com's constant gushing over this game, and I can generally only play it in very small bursts before I feel the need to move onto something else, but man, it is an absolutely a beautiful-looking game.   

I'd never make it my main MMO, because it's just got too many flaws and too many things about it I don't personally like, but it's a great game to have on the back-burner to pop into occasionally when I want a change of scenery.  

• xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141
    yes, I am now ruined by gw2.  It is  a challenging at  best not  to be able to dodge roll or use the "f key" for loot and talking to npcs.  Other games seem so dated after playing GW2.  
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

There were games prior to GW2 that used F to interact with objects or NPC's, Darkfall did it years before GW2 arrived for example. That said I do recognise the problem, I've tried interacting with quest NPC's and objectives in WoD on the first day several times.

But the bottom line of this "I love GW2" article... Wait, that IS the bottom line.

Look, I think GW2 is a solid game, a game which unfortunately lost it's way post-launch. It did a lot of things right at launch, and now it's doing a lot of things wrong. Whether or not that will change is irrelevant, it's the way it has gone so far.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Thanks for explaining why I still play GW2.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

GW2 is one of the most robust MMOS ever done.

If only they would give us an expansion................................