Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: 5 Non-Fantasy MMOG Concepts With Unfulfilled Potential

Comments

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Speaking of which where is the GTA and Red Dead Redemption mmos Rockstar?

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Only one that has not really been done is a Wild West sandbox mmo.. it would need to be a pvp orientated game with some form of player loot as thats the kind of image I have of the wild west basially a lawless land where people could do what they wanted.

I know that might scare some people off but I just cant see a wild west game being a themepark mmo it would be a total waste.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Hard to believe no one has even attempted to create a wild west MMO.
  • LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by BruceYee
    Hard to believe no one has even attempted to create a wild west MMO.

^^ This. Been waiting for years for a game like this.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I reember 1 game about Vehicular Combat that was successful named "Interstate 72" (GoG.com has it for you).

Maybe it would work as MMO...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282

The problem with Wild West MMO's is making the game fun for everyone.  Even the poor farmers who's cattle gets stolen all the time. If you leave all the "boring jobs" to the npc's and just made the game a typical faction game  "Outlaw versus Lawman" imo you would loose a lot of what the wild west also was about.

The setting would be good though.  It should be possible to make a concept that works.

• keanookeanoo Member Posts: 6
    You left out the best idea. A Pokemon MMORPG.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

We always say this, then they do it and it turns out to be a dumbed down WoW clone and they ruin all the potential of what it could have been. Now the trend is making a hub game, where the world doesn't exist or is plain dead...

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Why not just a medieval mmo without magic?  I mean it's about the time period most MMO's are in any way why not just make it more about territory control, crafting, and have raids/dungeons be fighting armies of enemy countries.
  • MorBladeMorBlade Member UncommonPosts: 49
    A true Firefly MMO (Not a craptastic web browser game) would be great!  A western, SciFi, Space combat (Star Wars Galaxies style) with an smuggler type economy.
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I kinda like the idea of a Red Dead Redemption or Mad Max type MMO but disagree that either would be better served as Themeparks. Both would do much better in a Sandbox Framework were you start on an equal footing as an average Joe (or Jane) and the choices you make during gameplay would define who you are in game. For RDR there could even be a Lawman/Outlaw gauge where every action would slide it in the appropriate direction sort of like the Lightside/Darkside meter in the original KOTOR. This would affect how people would treat you in game as well as the "Jobs" you were offered. It would also make for some interesting gameplay like the Outlaw trying to make good on the wrongs of the past sort of like the story in RDR. Also being able to eventually start your own Homestead and build it into a full Ranch over time would also be very interesting in my opinion.

As for Mad Max the IP just screams SANDBOX! =)

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Cowboys and Indians ..long long overdo.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    H1Z1 should fill my needs for zombie apocalypse. However, I would REALLY love a Old west MMO, or a vampire vs Werewolves MMO (if done well, has high potential to be cheesy or childish)
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by keanoo
    You left out the best idea. A Pokemon MMORPG.

YES, although Pokemon is kind of an MMO already.

Also you should check out WoW Battle Pets, it's basically pokemon built into an existing game world.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I've been thinking that a wild west MMO would be awesome for years now. Think red dead redemption but MMO with sandbox elements.
  • rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    Car wars with a solid car simulator system so you make the car from scavenged components. It would be more focussed on crafting of the vehicles than just a typical mmo where the mount happens to be a car.
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

They need to create an MMO about people in a cyberspace sort of situation.  We don't have the technology to send people's minds into some sort of virtual reality, but we do have the technology to make a game about it.

You could have areas of any sort, and people moving freely between them.  High fantasy areas, space station areas, wild west areas, and rules on how weapons and abilities transfer between them all.

You could have some people just playing the game parts of the game, shooting and hacking at each other, some people messing with content creation.... creating their own zones and laying out rules for different lands... and people crafting within those various areas, either the stat and gathering sort, or the actual creating in game models using editing tools.  Assuming there was some sort of a content grading/blocking thing, and a system of ratings so it doesn't get out of hand.  And you would definitely need some sort of box price and/or subscription so banning people for abusing the systems/rules actually mean sosmething. :P

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by rounner
    Car wars with a solid car simulator system so you make the car from scavenged components. It would be more focussed on crafting of the vehicles than just a typical mmo where the mount happens to be a car.

You mean something like this? :)

ok, not make your entire car (heck, it was almost 10 years ago...), you have base vehicle types and you modify hardpoints like engine or wheels, and of course those could came from loot/scavenging as well.

"than just a typical mmo where the mount happens to be a car." far from it :)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPSJS7WfZ6Y

• VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143

Wild West MMO would be great. Or possibly set even earlier: French and Indian War with three faction PvP; English, French and Indians fighting each other.

Vampires vs Werewolves; Add human witches as a third faction. I would go more Underworld than Twilight, but that is just me.

Car Wars type game is not my cup of tea, but still could be a lot of fun.

• UgUgUgUgUgUg Member UncommonPosts: 81

This game needs to be turned into an mmo...  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_(role-playing_game)

I remember it fondly with frustration

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Regarding the WoD. It was alot more than just getting the concept right, CCP didn't know what they were doing. They were continually pulling people away from the WoD development to work on other games, and they had at least one major flop that was another game at the same time. Plus they'd randomly tell the employees to change all development in a completely new directly even though the original development was almost finished. And more. You really need to google it. 

A properly realized WoD is exactly what we need in terms of vampires and werewolves, but those aren't the only two supernaturals that are involved in the game either. And it needs to be more than just combat. It should also be open world with a fully realized housing, crafting, and character development system. 

But that's never going to happen because there are companies out there right now that think its a GOOD THING to manage to develop a game in a year and a half (aka Star Trek Online). 

• lordoffilinglordoffiling Member Posts: 37
    Seriously. Where is our Old West MMO? Why is no one even *talking* about *maybe* making one?
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by lordoffiling
    Seriously. Where is our Old West MMO? Why is no one even *talking* about *maybe* making one?

Problem is we'd probably get something akin to Wildstar but a little more serious.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• xenoclixxenoclix Member UncommonPosts: 298

We need a new good World War 2 MMO rather than a lobby based match making system, or a MMO based in a world war.

Maybe even the Roman/Medieval times with mass battles. Charging in there with 100s of people fighting over land and kingdoms. Can introduce good crafting and job system to keep the troops moral and health up high.

• SystSyst Member Posts: 1
    ESO let's you choose Vampire or Werewolf as a contagion class, each with their own ability lines

Ask too many questions... and you may get something much sharper than my tounge as an awnser..