Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Crowdfunding Milestones Discussion

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by sgel

Anyway, Wing Commander always had celebrities, in fact they were the first who used celebrities like Mark Hamill in games.

But you said CIG put all their money to pay the power bill and feed their children. Now they're paying celebrities for their voices and faces? Doesn't that break down the "false" image of good CIG not doing what those nasty publisher game companies do? 

So you are criticising that CIG is fulfilling one of the Stretch Goals ?  That they are doing their job ?!?!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

5 million $ stretch goal

"Squadron 42 will feature celebrity voice-acting including at least one favorite from Wing Commander and 50 total missions."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

May I recommend that you read up on the things you are criticising .... some things DO explain themselves if you do some research first.

Have fun

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by Erillion

Yeah I'm sure it's completely unrelated to how much money CIG is making. I'm sure they'd still be able to do that if CIG was struggling to make ends meet instead of having more money than they can spend.

It's also interesting how you didn't chose to tackle the other two examples I posted (there's plenty more).. and maybe you could read the post I was responding to and tell us your opinion on the image of "good-ol CIG managers who just want to feed their children" image that poster is trying to portray as opposed to all the publishers who just want to build more swimming pools.

CIG just pulled off an industry changing marketing and crowdfunding miracle. I am not sure to what extend Sandi Gardiner is reponsible for it, but as the person responsible for marketing at CIG i assume thats to a great extend also her work.

It's CIG's 3D artists, the promise of a 3-in-1 space sim and the loyal fans that keep on preaching the gospel of ship-collecting that's more to do with it than Sandi.

If someone is envious on how (s)he spends his/her money on his/her vacation .... toooo bad. 

Yes that's why I mentioned it... because I'm envious. It's not like I told you exactly why I mentioned it.

It's always better to ignore the truth and just reinforce your made-up reason with written argumentative drivel.

(I've actually been to Monte Carlo four times since I have relatives living there. I'm also taking a road trip through there in August.)

..Cake..

Anyway, Wing Commander always had celebrities, in fact they were the first who used celebrities like Mark Hamill in games.

But you said CIG put all their money to pay the power bill and feed their children. Now they're paying celebrities for their voices and faces? Doesn't that break down the "false" image of good CIG not doing what those nasty publisher game companies do? 

So you are criticising that CIG is fulfilling one of the Stretch Goals ?  That they are doing their job ?!?!

How hard is it to just scroll a little bit higher and see the post I was responding to?

..Cake..

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Just because they posted the stretch goal does NOT make it right nor does it mean the supporters support the idea at all.You think the ONLY money raised for this goal is to support expensive voice actors?Nope it is to buy from the cash shop,ships and more ships.I would bet a VERY large group of players already own 3+ ships and couldn't care less where the money is going.

What do i think of the idea personally?Well i ALWAYS believe in game first cash shop and peripherals second.Put all the efforts into the game and world and assets then worry if anything is left for voice acting.

You know where voice acting ends up?It ends up in linear questing that you do once and couldn't care less about after that as you move on to the next quest.I doubt people are buying and spending tons of money on a questing game,they are looking at flying around ships and pvp.

Did it seem to help SWTOR?I would say yes but also imo SWTOR needed it as the game play and combat were poorly done.So looking back at SWTOR i would have gladly seen ALL that voice acting money have gone into a better game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Just because they posted the stretch goal does NOT make it right nor does it mean the supporters support the idea at all.

/Snip

Yep ... no one does support the idea at all.

Those 900k backers must have all hit the "sign up" link accidently..approx. 700 k of them AFTER that stretch goal was reached.

Have fun

• TswordZTswordZ Member UncommonPosts: 66

I don't understand too much that "CR promises a game with X features for end of 2014, so he failed". I assume that means the better would be to use just the 25-35 millions required for the first plan and get the other 50-70 millions in his pocket and everyone happy, isn'it?

Well, it's not like they had to build the studio from scratch, and had to hire new people for work there while still working in the game.

[/sarcasm]

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

It never ceases to amaze me how much people will spend on what they envisage something will be. I was reading a post on the official forums from quite a staunch SC supporter who says "It's literally all about aim instead of actually flying and maneuvering and the majority of people won't even play AC and when they do the don't enjoy it due to controller imbalance and missile spam according to polls and the data that shows less than 300 people played Arena Commander pvp for 2+ hours over the course of all last week." Source https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5094675/#Comment_5094675

Less than 300 people from those polled played for more than 2 hours of PvP in a whole week? Is that what happens when the reality doesn't equal the dream, because what concerns me about this is if the controls and the flight and the combat are so poor that hardly anyone wants to put any time into what is meant to be a core part of the game then why do they think the rest of it is going to be any better? Surely the core should be nailed down to be the best experience possible, people should be itching to get in their ships.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    No, No, he didn´t . Unless you can point me to a source where HE exactly says that.

The original KickStarter page, which I already quoted, but we will take it once more for slow ones down back:

"We are aiming for a AAA game experience."

"12 months in, we will allow the early backers to play the multiplayer space combat Alpha, and then 20-22 months in they will get to play the Star Citizen Beta, adventuring around the huge open galaxy, well before the general public."

That is the full AAA package in 2 years, matching the October 2014 launch date promised in the kickstarted.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    No, No, he didn´t . Unless you can point me to a source where HE exactly says that.

The original KickStarter page, which I already quoted, but we will take it once more for slow ones down back:

"We are aiming for a AAA game experience."

"12 months in, we will allow the early backers to play the multiplayer space combat Alpha, and then 20-22 months in they will get to play the Star Citizen Beta, adventuring around the huge open galaxy, well before the general public."

wihtout hitting any stretch goals of the 5 dozens or more, you´d "adventure around" already.

although without a body, half the systems, with maybe 8 ships, no FPS, a dumbed down story campaign and whatever else they are working on right now that wasn´t expected at the Kickstarter launch when the above text was written.

What is so hard to understand, the launch content increased by a shitload of stuff how can anyone be so ignorant thinking the old deadline means anything? It´s outdated BS information, only used for trolling

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

It never ceases to amaze me how much people will spend on what they envisage something will be. I was reading a post on the official forums from quite a staunch SC supporter who says "It's literally all about aim instead of actually flying and maneuvering and the majority of people won't even play AC and when they do the don't enjoy it due to controller imbalance and missile spam according to polls and the data that shows less than 300 people played Arena Commander pvp for 2+ hours over the course of all last week." Source https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5094675/#Comment_5094675

Less than 300 people from those polled played for more than 2 hours of PvP in a whole week? Is that what happens when the reality doesn't equal the dream, because what concerns me about this is if the controls and the flight and the combat are so poor that hardly anyone wants to put any time into what is meant to be a core part of the game then why do they think the rest of it is going to be any better? Surely the core should be nailed down to be the best experience possible, people should be itching to get in their ships.

No, what happens when "reality doesn't equal the dream" is that people rationalise things away so that reality does once again align with the dream.

If the AC experience is subpar, many will simply say: "This is just some Early Access toy that doesn't represent the real game, so we'll wait for the real game, because the real game is going to be awesome !"...

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

No, what happens when "reality doesn't equal the dream" is that people rationalise things away so that reality does once again align with the dream.

If the AC experience is subpar, many will simply say: "This is just some Early Access toy that doesn't represent the real game, so we'll wait for the real game, because the real game is going to be awesome !"...

CIG is just following the Sid Meier Rule:

"Good games can rarely be created in a vacuum, which is why many designers advocate an iterative design process, during which a simple prototype of the game is built very early and then iterated on repeatedly until the game becomes a shippable product.

Sid called this process "finding the fun," and the probability of success is often directly related to the number of times a team can turn the crank on the loop of developing an idea, play-testing the results, and then adjusting based on feedback."

For you AC may not be ideal and at time its downright buggy, because they are testing all kinds of things. But suddenly there comes a point, after testing, modifying, testing and testing again where suddenly its fun ... and working ...and balanced.

Have fun

For you AC may not be ideal and at time its downright buggy, because they are testing all kinds of things. But suddenly there comes a point, after testing, modifying, testing and testing again where suddenly its fun ... and working ...and balanced.

I wish I could live in your world where I just expect EVERYTHING to turn out amazing because I want it to.

Just like I expected them to actually give a damn and fix their crappy flight model.

Until a CIG dev came out and said they already like the model and don't plan on changing it apart from some tweaks and balances.

At least for the love of god let them get the FPS part right.

..Cake..

Star Citizen Backers have passed  the 84  million dollar mark (84,018,156  $).

Number of Star Citizens is currently at  908,717  and growing (up from 898,071).

Number of UEE Fleet Captains with at least one ship : 725.348  and growing  (up from 709.501)

One should take note of the trend that a lot of new captains seem to start with small starter ships ... + 16.000 captains

Have fun

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723

Number of Star Citizens is currently at  908,717  and growing (up from 898,071).

Number of UEE Fleet Captains with at least one ship : 725.348  and growing  (up from 709.501)

One should take note of the trend that a lot of new captains seem to start with small starter ships ... + 16.000 captains

Have fun

Instead reporting this fake number and fake grow that is managed, in general, by the own fanboys in their multiple packages obsession, to help to promote the game with these fake numbers, you should report the "growing" in the Arena Commander stats by checking the leaderboards...

maybe you can start to realize that this supposed grow above, does not make any sense with the reality, mainly when you consider zero grow in the level of participation, that not even in minimum proportion happens. The reasons is obvious: 

While fanboys can buy multiple accounts again and again along the last years to make these counters growing, they do not have really the same capacity to clone themselves in reality.

They should stop with this fake marketing of false popularity. It only makes worst, because they manage to make that growing, but the in-game stats, forum participation, audience of their shows, etc. All this stucked in the same numbers than they were in the beginning, when all this started. Like 800k people, all them, and half of the original backers simply refused to even to give a single try to the game. Riiight!

800k phantoms obviously... they do not exist. Some people like to pretend that this is a conspiracy or absurd.

Seriously... Absurd is what sounds when you go to any person of the real world, present the idea of the game and then, present a virtual jpeg been sold by 400 dollars and about 800 of those JPEGs sold. That would be an absurd and would sound conspiratory to any person who lives in the real world. But if you acknowledge that there are people capable to such attitude, imagining that "would be impossible" they buying ships multiple accounts to promote the game that they so eagerly want to succeed and invested a strong quantity of money on it, thousands of dollars along the years, it's pretty much silly.

I would eat my hat if Chris Roberts managed to provide proof that he has more than 150k individuals that bought one or more copies of Star Citizen, because all his other stats diverge with the reality of that fake counter.

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Originally posted by jcrg99

[...]

Seriously... Absurd is what sounds when you go to any person of the real world, present the idea of the game and then, present a virtual jpeg been sold by 400 dollars and about 800 of those JPEGs sold. That would be an absurd and would sound conspiratory to any person who lives in the real world. But if you acknowledge that there are people capable to such attitude, imagining that "would be impossible" they buying ships multiple accounts to promote the game that they so eagerly want to succeed and invested a strong quantity of money on it, thousands of dollars along the years, it's pretty much silly.

The Music Industry works in exatly this way, they are buying their own copies to raise the product and get into the charts.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787

Have fun

This numbers should worry you, because there are no people left to buy the game when it is released, so the company has to rely on Goldselling/Cash Shop

SC is going to reach the soft cap on playerbase very soon (EVE got 500k Backers [as of 2013] )

After the release they would cut down the employee number but, who will support 800k+ players then? Who will code all the Stretch goal fluff that was promised? Who will design the ships that will be still in the pipeline? And who will write new content?

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

I would eat my hat if Chris Roberts managed to provide proof that he has more than 150k individuals that bought one or more copies of Star Citizen, because all his other stats diverge with the reality of that fake counter.

*** hands him a hat ***

Team of 300 people in CIG and attached studios .... getting paid for 4 years ... creating 4 seperate CIG studio locations in 3 countries   ...do the numbers .... costs more than what 150k backers paid. Less than what 900k backers paid.

Dine well.

Have fun

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

*** hands him a hat ***

Team of 300 people in CIG and attached studios .... getting paid for 4 years ... creating 4 seperate CIG studio locations in 3 countries   ...do the numbers .... costs more than 150k backers paid. Less than what 900k backers paid.

Dine well.

Have fun

What you just said proves nothing nor disproves it either but you could have started talking about how the people living in the walls taught you math and it would make just as much sense.

Star Citizen Backers have passed  the 85  million dollar mark (85,014,274  $).

Number of Star Citizens is currently at  923,355 and growing (up from 908.717, thats +14.638).

Number of UEE Fleet Captains with at least one ship : 732.226 and growing  (up from 725.348, thats +6.878)

Noteworthy is the new CIG Frankfurt studio, full with CryEngine experts with many years of experience. The current number of 25 employees there should go up to 50 in the future according to CIG. 

Have fun

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

CIG is just following the Sid Meier Rule:

"Good games can rarely be created in a vacuum, which is why many designers advocate an iterative design process, during which a simple prototype of the game is built very early and then iterated on repeatedly until the game becomes a shippable product.

Sid called this process "finding the fun," and the probability of success is often directly related to the number of times a team can turn the crank on the loop of developing an idea, play-testing the results, and then adjusting based on feedback."

Have fun

You dont get to use SId Meier here. Sorry but what CIG is doing is AGAINST Sid Meiers rules. When he talks simple that means stripping away GFX, Sound and polish and just make the gameplay work without bells and whistles. If CIG was doing this you would be playing the full sotryline and/or MMO gameplay, but it would look and sound rubbish adn be extremely unpolished. What would be there was the basic mechanics of all the semless game play, the dynamic worlds etc. The HARD stuff you know. THat is what need to eb tested and worked out. Any decent games programmer could put out what they have shown until now, and that is the unimportant stuff. Dear old Sid would save that for last.

If you want to see someone doing it the way Sid teaches take a look at "At the Gates", now there is a programmer that has learned the lesson. (Duh, he worked with the man...) I have been in the alpha for that that for a year, and though that time he has changed and tweaked every gameplay system in the game to test out different things, while we, the alpha testers, got to play with it at every step. We get to play with new stuff days after he has inplemented it.

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723

Star Citizen Backers have passed  the 85  million dollar mark (85,014,274  $).

Number of Star Citizens is currently at  923,355 and growing (up from 908.717, thats +14.638).

Number of UEE Fleet Captains with at least one ship : 732.226 and growing  (up from 725.348, thats +6.878)

Noteworthy is the new CIG Frankfurt studio, full with CryEngine experts with many years of experience. The current number of 25 employees there should go up to 50 in the future according to CIG. 

Have fun

You mean...

WIth all the delay announcements, critics all over the place (hate if the word make you feel better), the numbers of players never growing in AC, steady since long ago for each new patch, as well as the level of participation in the forums, views in their shows, votes in polls, facebook likes...

They still managed to get about 7k people  (in a week?)

Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter got 5k in its entire campaign (which failed), Descent Underground got 8k and achieved funding in the last minute (passed just in 1k the target... weird).

With most of people having been assumed SC as delayed indefinitely in the recent days, they managed to get 7k newbies, despite all the recent shit storm, controversy, and basically these people, all them decided to do not play the game too?

That's truly amazing! (to do not say ridiculous, this counter is just manipulated by the own die-hard fans to use it as a lame excuse to pretend that things are going always fine, regardless what "everyone out there and some inside" says).

I wonder how many lines is the spreadsheet of users of those people.

***snip*** this counter is just manipulated by the own die-hard fans to use it as a lame excuse to pretend that things are going always fine, ***snip***

Source of this counter:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

You may not believe this counter.

The international gaming press does. And their journalists visit CIG in person on a regular basis.

Have fun

GamesCom demo live and we, the backers, just blasted the 86 million $ mark  (counter on homepage will show it soon)

938,044 Star Citizens, and 743.572 of those are Ship Captains with at least one pledge package.

Lets go for GOLD (1 million) !

Have fun

Project blew past the 87 M$ mark.

946,839 Star Citizens   + 8795  (or 1759 per day)

748.674 of those are Ship Captains with at least one pledge Package,  + 5102  (or 1020 per day)

Have fun

Star Citizen Backers have passed  the 88  million dollar mark (88,158,685 $).

Number of Star Citizens is currently at 
    970,317 (+ 23,478) and growing

Number of UEE Fleet Captains with at least one ship : 756,444 (+7,770) and growing 

Noteworthy is the new electronic warfare information, the Nyx landing zone and progress in the social and FPS module development.

Have fun